English Championship 5579 - Discussion Thread

Re: English Championship 5579 - Discussion Thread

Ask Tom' date=' at the beginning of the season I tipped Coventry to go up :)[/quote']

I tipped them to go down, generally with the main reason being that they finished 17th last season. But all credit to Rick and Coventry, he's really overtaking Gadga's name at the club.

Also going to be doing an M/R on the number of internal/external deals, as in this turn there's been an amazing number of external deals - including most recentley the news that Wesley Sneijder will be joining Hull City in exchange for Turan, Lucio & £4 million cracking buisness from Neil and Adam there.

EDIT: But if you have a look at the transfers for Turn 1, a good 500 of them or something compared to the usual 50-100 you'll see why i'm unable to include Turn 1 in the M/R.

• Replies 38.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swanseajack

• Matty_avfc

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: English Championship 5579 - Discussion Thread Can you help poor Kieran? Kieran Westwood - Goalkeeper - Aged 26 - Rated 85 This is Keiran, he likes sunny days, cold milk and fresh cookies.

Re: English Championship 5579 - Discussion Thread Building on Ed's work and in contrast to SJ's predictions ('cos I agree with you Ed' date=' many do seem to be writing off the new boys, with no rea

Re: English Championship 5579 - Discussion Thread hang on fellas........... First.... Then.... A quick.... Remember to... Then grab some.... And a.... Into position...... ......

The offer for Stephen IRELAND of Sheffield United from Swansea City has been accepted. The transfer will be completed within the next 24 hours. Cancel

Part of the Cattermole deal.philips also be included.

The offer for Nigel REO-COKER of Sheffield United from Brighton and Hove Albion has been accepted. The transfer will be completed within the next 24 hours.

Cattermole will be taking on his role,as second to Balmont .

The offer for Milan BAROS of Galatasaray SK from Sheffield United has been accepted. The transfer will be completed within the next 24 hours.

Straight swap for C Cole.l like cole just in the need of strikers who can get me more goals.

My midfield is going to be a player,but l have flexible player and in letting Ireland leave Charlie Adam will get a great chance of playing.

Hope to have another striker in ,Today.I have agreed a fee with a unnamed team for there striker.

Thanks for the business guys,l hope we all get the benifits.

I personally felt they would just miss out on the playoffs. When Gadga was there they were the team to beat. Rick will admit this, last season he didnt pay enough attention to them, which is why they nearly went down, but this season it seems he's taken more care with them and look at the rewards!

Nuri SAHIN has completed his move to Manchester City from Liverpool for £2,832,000 plus Adil RAMI

Sad to see Sahin go but I really needed to bulken my defence for next season as it's been slim since Ozil arrived for Marcelo and Thiago Silva. Anyway French international Adil Rami is set to link up with Pique at the back for next season, hopefully he can do well at Valencia in real life and earn a rise.

And I have just realised, I have more French players than Spanish! Well really the same number if you don't include Koscielney who is on loan. Six players from each nation:)

Put in a 'offer you cant refuse' for Van Der Wiel.

If i get him then my defence will shape up nicely a bit more.

Van Der Wiel Terry Mexes Ansaldi

My left back isnt the best. Does anyone know wheter he is doing good in real life' date=' my offload him.[/font']

You've got competition ;)

I would switch Ramos to CB' date=' it would look something like this:

[b']RB[/b]

Van Der Wiel

Azpilcueta

CB

Ramos

Pique

Rami

LB

Lahm

Sakho

:)

Lucky you :P My defence is struggling.

Mine would be (If i got him):

RB

Van der wiel

Naughton :eek:

CB

Terry

Mexes

Bassong

LB

Ansaldi

Assou-Ekotto

I think you have to admit i still cant win the league with that defence!!

Lucky you :P My defence is struggling.

Mine would be (If i got him):

RB

Van der wiel

Naughton :eek:

CB

Terry

Mexes

Bassong

LB

Ansaldi

Assou-Ekotto

I think you have to admit i still cant win the league with that defence!!

Your squad is really lacking in numbers, as was mine a while back. I've found that back in season one when I won the title most of my players were rated 89+ and my squad was lot larger, since i've started signing big players and my numbers have reduced my postion in the table has been dropping over the seasons. I think it's best to try and mix bulk and brilliance together;)

As for your squad if I wa at the helm I would try flogging Ibrahimovic (because he isn't in as good form as Eto'o) for a replacement striker and a defender rated around 90/91 and maybe some cash.

Your squad is really lacking in numbers' date=' as was mine a while back. I've found that back in season one when I won the title most of my players were rated 89+ and my squad was lot larger, since i've started signing big players and my numbers have reduced my postion in the table has been dropping over the seasons. I think it's best to try and mix bulk and brilliance together;)

As for your squad if I wa at the helm I would try flogging Ibrahimovic (because he isn't in as good form as Eto'o) for a replacement striker and a defender rated around 90/91 and maybe some cash.[/quote']

I might do that actually. Ibrahimovic is good but isnt really scoring and i have Eto'o to do that with. My Midfield is alright though. Modric, Milner, Lennon, Bale, Palacious, Kranjcar but no world class players!!!!

If i was going to sell Ibrahimovic i would need a replacement striker who is 90 at least, defender who is 90 at least. Maybe bit of cash?

Your team though is amazing. Iniesta, Villa, Pique, Higuain, Ramos etc. Well Done.

I might do that actually. Ibrahimovic is good but isnt really scoring and i have Eto'o to do that with. My Midfield is alright though. Modric' date=' Milner, Lennon, Bale, Palacious, Kranjcar but no world class players!!!! [/font']

If i was going to sell Ibrahimovic i would need a replacement striker who is 90 at least, defender who is 90 at least. Maybe bit of cash?

Your team though is amazing. Iniesta, Villa, Pique, Higuain, Ramos etc. Well Done.

I got extremely lucky with no competition for players such as Pique and Higuain at the start, and then Iniesta, Ramos and Lahm were all at external clubs until around season two. However I missed out on Messi and Dzeko and also sold the likes of Tevez and Pato!:o

Nice one mate. Its a bit harder now for players!

I was just wondering who made your sig as i want a Tottenham one has mine is for EC 106 which i dont go on as much as this one?

Villa made it, it was a while back though not sure if he still makes them. I don't see him around on the forum that much anymore.

All this talk of who is and who isn’t do well in The Championship, got me thinking – and thats a dangerous thing!

I have come up with a guide – its rough and no doubt misleading – to help define which side are doing well versus expectations and who isn’t. I have used the only two factors readily open to me – ground size and squad value – to determine a ranking order for all 20 sides. The highest attendance is awarded 20pts on a sliding scale down to 1pt for the lowest. The same sliding scale points system is then awarded versus the highest squad value.

The points are then totaled and provide a guide as to the team’s divisional ranking.

This ranking is then analysed against the team’s current league position to determine how that team is performing versus the expectation.

Now loans complicate things regarding values but I have for the purposes of my own sanity chosen to ignore them – this took me long enough as is.

It’s by no means definitive and will do doubt upset as many as it pleases but, hey ho, here’s the results:-

Hull

Squad Value Ranking (£183m) – 5 – 16pts

Attendance Ranking (25,404) – 10 = 11pts

Total = 27pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 6

Actual League Position = 1 (+5)

Villa

Squad Value Ranking (£242 m) – 1 = 20pts

Attendance Ranking (42,640) - 1 = 20pts

Total = 40pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 1

Actual League Position = 2 (-1)

Reading

Squad Value Ranking (£178m) – 6 – 15pts

Attendance Ranking (24,224) – 13 = 8pts

Total = 23pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 7

Actual League Position = 3 (+4)

Coventry

Squad Value Ranking (£163m) – 9 = 12pts

Attendance Ranking (32,609) – 4 = 17pts

Total = 29pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 4

Actual League position = 4

Palace

Squad Value Ranking (£147m) – 11 = 10pts

Attendance Ranking (26,309) – 9 = 12pts

Total = 22pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = Joint 9

Actual League Position = 5 (+4)

Wolves

Squad Value Ranking (£189m) – 4 = 17pts

Attendance Ranking (28,525) – 7 = 14pts

Total = 31pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 3

Actual League Position = 6 (-3)

Swansea

Squad Value Ranking (£159m) – 10 = 11pts

Attendance Ranking (20,532) – 16 = 5pts

Total = 16pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 14

Actual League Ranking - 7 (+7)

Mboro

Squad Value Ranking (£128m) – 17 = 4pts

Attendance Ranking (35,100) – 2 = 19pts

Total = 23pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 8

Actual League Position = 8

Pboro

Squad Value Ranking (£119m) – 19 = 2pts

Attendance Ranking (15,460) – 20 = 1pt

Total = 3pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 20

Actual League Position = 9 (+11)

Cardiff

Squad Value Ranking (£135.5m) – 16 = 5pts

Attendance Ranking (27,000) – 8 = 13pts

Total = 18pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 13

Actual League Position = 10 (+3)

S’Bury

Squad Value Ranking (£169m) – 8 = 13pts

Attendance Ranking (11,763) – 19 = 2pts

Total = 15pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = Joint 15

Actual League Position = 11 (+4)

Millwall

Squad Value Ranking (£210m) – 3 = 18pts

Attendance Ranking (20,146) – 17 = 4pts

Total = 22pts

Actual League Position = 12 (-3)

QPR

Squad Value Ranking (£123m) – 18 = 3pts

Attendance Ranking (24.914) – 11 = 10pts

Total = 13pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 17

Actual League Position = 13 (+4)

Sheff U

Squad Value Ranking (£135.9m) – 15 = 6pts

Attendance Ranking (32,609) – 5 = 16pts

Total = 22pts

Actual League Position = 14 (-5)

Watford

Squad Value Ranking (£216m) – 2 = 19pts

Attendance Ranking (24,765) – 12 = 9pts

Total = 28pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 5

Actual League Position = 15 (-10)

Brighton

Squad Value Ranking (£142m) – 13 = 8pts

Attendance Ranking (11,795) – 18 = 3pts

Total = 11pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 18

Actual League Position = 16 (+2)

Barnsley

Squad Value Ranking (£104m) – 20 = 1pt

Attendance Ranking (23,009) – 14 = 7pts

Total = 8pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 19

Actual League Position = 17 (+2)

Derby

Squad Value Ranking (£174m) – 7 = 14pts

Attendance Ranking (33,597) – 3 = 18pts

Total = 32pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = 2

Actual League Position = 18 (-16)

Ipswich

Squad Value Ranking (£140m) – 14 = 7pts

Attendance Ranking (30,311) – 6 = 15pts

Total = 22pts

Actual League Position = 19 (-10)

Bristol

Squad Value Ranking (£142.6m) – 12 = 9pts

Attendance Ranking (21,497) – 15 = 6pts

Total = 15pts

Div 2 Club Ranking = Joint 15

Actual League Position = 20 (-5)

So the results show that, based on ranking, the table should look something like this:-

Villa

Derby

Wolves

Coventry

Watford

Hull

Reading

M'Boro

Sheff U

Ipswich

Palace

Millwall

Cardiff

Swansea

Bristol

S'Bury

QPR

Brighton

Barnsley

P'Boro

But in terms of over and under achievement versus rankings here’s who is performing best and worst:-

P'Boro +11

Swansea +7

Hull +5

S'Bury +4

QPR +4

Palace +4

Reading +4

Cardiff +3

Brighton +2

Barnsley +2

M'Boro 0

Coventry 0

Villa -1

Wolves -3

Millwall -3

Bristol -5

Sheff U -5

Ipswich -10

Watford -10

Derby -16

No all of this makes no allowance for when a manager took over a club, how the squad has been put together, deals pending etc etc and many positions will change over the next 7 games to season end but none the less it makes interesting reading.

Ed, Jooles and I have been working on something similar to try and make predictions with (using manager stats, squad value and average rating). The main problem with ranking is it doesn't take magnitude into account. Villa's squad is much larger then Boro's yet there's only one ranking point between them. It's a good effort though and actually seems to look similarly accurate to our much more complex 'in progress' model :D

Ed' date=' Jooles and I have been working on something similar to try and make predictions with (using manager stats, squad value and average rating). The main problem with ranking is it doesn't take magnitude into account. Villa's squad is much larger then Boro's yet there's only one ranking point between them. It's a good effort though and actually seems to look similarly accurate to our much more complex 'in progress' model :D[/quote']

Cheers mate - its a very rough guide but some semblence of truth in there I think.

At Andy's request I will be doing the same for Division 3, the 4 and finally the top division.

Cheers mate - its a very rough guide but some semblence of truth in there I think.

At Andy's request I will be doing the same for Division 3' date=' the 4 and finally the top division.[/quote']

What Andy wants, Andy gets.....! :D Nah, cracking work Ed and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the results of the other divisions. Love statistical work like this and the hard work that does into it.

Just one query, however. Peterborough are listed as the club with the lowest stadium size (15,460), yet Shrewsbury (11,763) and Brighton (11,795) both have smaller stadiums. Have you listed their real-life stadium sizes here and taken into account stadium increases for promotion, but just not stated so?

I also think it proves how well Kop does with Peterborough. I said all the way back in Season One that he'd do well to cement himself as a solid side in Division One, and that fact looks like it stands today.

What Andy wants' date=' Andy gets.....! :D Nah, cracking work Ed and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the results of the other divisions. Love statistical work like this and the hard work that does into it.

Just one query, however. Peterborough are listed as the club with the lowest stadium size (15,460), yet Shrewsbury (11,763) and Brighton (11,795) both have smaller stadiums. Have you listed their real-life stadium sizes here and taken into account stadium increases for promotion, but just not stated so?

I also think it proves how well Kop does with Peterborough. I said all the way back in Season One that he'd do well to cement himself as a solid side in Division One, and that fact looks like it stands today.[/quote']

I probably made a pigs ear of it mate - its only a guide though and still stands that Kop is indeed doing tremendous work.

on another note ;-

Jennifer Wagner has angered the Rochdale fans by resigning from the club.

Out on offer at present, who got it?