Sign in to follow this  
IlDuce

Fixes for Liverpool (From a non-fan)

Well now that your inability to ward off Stoke City has put another dagger in Rafa, and your utter mess of a team/organization is in grave danger of falling ANOTHER 2 points behind the Champions League spots, it's time to do some critical thinking. How do we fix this team? Who stays? Who goes? How long can we continue to get laughed at?

The following "plan of action" needs to begin immediately. Now, I've ommitted two key elements. I am assuming that a) Rafa is gone, and B) so are the owners. However you don't get off easy Liverpool, you don't get to hire Guus Hiddink and have some wealthy Saudi prince buy your club. No, this is a working plan.

On a side note, yes I am an Everton fan, but I find this situation fascinating and let's face it, the list to fix Everton is two items long; stop getting hurt, buy a striker

Step 1: Sell your soon to be peripheral players

Goodbye to Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Nabil El Zhar, and Dirk Kuyt. A few are obvious, but Kuyt is the key here; he has to go. The fact that Gerrard and Torres score 50% of LFC's goals is indicative of a paltry midfield. Now yes, many clubs are limited to two goal scorers, but you would still assess that many other players are threats to score goals and create goals. Watching Kuyt you have to keep reminding yourself he used to be a striker. Misses at Portsmouth and Stoke are too critical to a long campaign like the Premiership. If you're going to be average on the ball and average delivering the ball, you had better score, and Kuyt doesn't do enough clinical finishing.

Projected windfall: $25-30 million.

Step 2: Time to sell some stars

First up and out of Merseyside is Javier Mascherano. The cyclical nature of trends in sports has come around to the "defensive midfielder/Makelele" position. After years of the position being undervalued, it is now OVER-valued. Not in that it is not a critical position, but in that there are many players who can adequately fit the position. Mascherano is a walking red card who has a high cash value. We're going to sell him off to Spain for a good price, and hopefully bring in a nice bench player to bolster squad depth. If he goes to Barcelona, I'd suggest Maxwell as a player who can ably back-up your left back of the future, Insua. If Real Madrid want him then perhaps a Drenthe/Granero as a youngster coming off the bench who may prove himself.

Okay, now for second part of this equation. No, we are not going to sell Steven Gerrard. The damage to your fan base would be irreconcilable, and it's too tough to find English midfielders like Stevie. So instead, we're gonna sell your other big boy, and that means goodbye Fernando Torres. The reasoning? Well, you're going to have to sell him if you don't make the Champs League. He also get injured/nicked a lot and in the EPL it's only going to get worse over time as the injuries mount up. He'll be the premier player available, as we're hoping Valencia make the CL and David Villa stays.

Send 'Nando to Spain for the highest bidder. If Man U. can sell CR, then you can sell him. particularly when you most likely aren't going to have a choice. Gerrard will stay if you don't make the CL, but it's unlikely that Torres will. Again however, we dangle out two options to interested clubs. You can either pay a boatload of cash, or let us pick a player for exchange. As I think Mascherano was more highly pursued by Barca, let him go there. Let Real Madrid take 'Nando, but undercut the Ribery price and ask for Higuain in return. Don't worry, he'll start, but you have to convince Perez there's no room for Benz, Torres, Negredo, AND Higuain, the player we want.

Projected Windfall; around $25 million for Mascherano + a player, and let's say at least $65 million for Fernando, or $55 + Higuain (preferred)

Step 3: Back to 4-4-2

You can't play a Spanish style 4-5-1 in the EPL with the way that the lower teams play you. Slow possession and timely passing get countered out by packing men, and hitting you on the counter-attack. We need to do a few things with the new 4-4-2.

First, relieve the pressure on Gerrard. I love 4-5-1 formations, but this guy would be better served playing behind two strikers. It's too easy to pick him out when a player like Torres has the ball in a non-scoring position. Fernando's on-the-ball ability is countered by the fact that he only has Gerrard to finish his moves. Letting Gerrard into the play later makes him more lethal, forcing a midfielder to pick him up rather than a central defender. And by going with a 4-4-2 we try to increase chances from crosses/set pieces. I love Torres, but he's not as much a menace in the air as we need from set pieces.

Step 4: Okay, who's playing in this formation?

Valid question by myself. We'll start from the back. Glen Johnson is fine. Insua should be given the opportunity to prove himself. We do however, need to bring a central defender. Carragher is just getting too old, and we are going to give Martin Skrtel the chance to prove himself. If Johnson is going to bomb up the right side we need a tougher player on his side of central defense. The first player we will attempt to bring in is Per Mertesacker. He's gigantic, swats away balls in the air, is still young, and plays for a team in a non-bulletproof position. Put him next to a leader like Carragher and let him learn how to command the back line.

Back-up options: Bruno Alves (I would be happy to settle on), Phillipe Mexes, Gonzalo at CB. If you're unconvinced that Insua can do the job, grab Leighton Baines and be very happy.

Up top we've already nabbed Higuain, and now we need to pair him with someone. Since we've been able to pick up a nice pot of cash, we can afford to overpay on Marouane Chamakh. Goal.com recently did a quick piece on him, and they are right in pointing his "aerial efficiency". He is also used to playing with a great attacking midfielder right behind him (Gourcuff) and not at the advanced age of others. We're going to need to break down these defenses with power alongside Higuain, not another skillful player.

Back-up options; Carlton Cole, Marcus Berg, Marc Janko. And keep developing N'Gog, but also don't spend money on flippin' Kenwyne Jones. Ugh. Also look for an older player who can sub for Chamakh. RVN, Trez, that sort of finisher who is inexpensive, doesn't need to play every game. There's always an Hernan Crespo-like player out there.

Finally, the midfield. Hoo boy. We start by replacing Mascherano, and I'm going back to France with Jeremy Toulalan. A player who can break a stone wall, cover deep in defense (he's played CB), and will not be too expensive as he is near end of contract and a few years older than Masch. Toulalan is also unselfish in his responsibilities; which means you can sit Aquilani down next to him, and allow Alberto to make plays right behind Gerrard, and move up the field as long as Toulalan can cover. Pairing two players more accustomed to attack (Leiva and Aquilani) would leave us in the same position of getting beaten on counter-attacks.

And finally to pair up with Gerrard we have a bit of a decision to make? Do we keep Riera? Can Maxi fill in? I'm going no on both accounts. Maxi will stay, but as a great cover for injuries, and to allow us to flex into a 4-5-1 with Maxi on the right if needed. Playing up with Gerrard will be Angel Di Maria. I wasn't convinced Di Maria could play in the EPL until I found out he's nearly six feet tall(!). He provides goal scoring-ability and is left footed to boot. If you can get Glen Johnson in an advanced positon, you then swing Di Maria out left and have a sort of 3-5-2. He may be expensive, but you're going have to spend some money here, folks.

Back-up options; Jonathan De Guzman, Steven Defour/Alex Witsel, Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil, etc.

So we now have a new look formation bought with players that CAN be had. That is of the utmost. No matter how much money you have, you won't be able to pry away talent from CL teams. Bring in a great, international coach who is going to excite these guys, and hope that a few of them don't even make the CL. We're also staying away from players out of our reach like Kjaer, Dzeko, David Silva, etc. And again, with Chamakh, the money we just raised through selling allows us to overbid the competition (Arsenal).

Reina

Johnson--Mertesacker/etc--Carragher--Insua

Toulalan--Aquilani

Gerrard------Di Maria

Higuain--Chamakh

Step 5: Copy Sir Alex (a bit)

The most curious transfer of the off-season might have Gabby Obertan to Manchester. However, he is the type of great gamble you can make after selling off so many keep players. This one is up to the club if they've given up on Ryan Babel. Babel could be an impactful substitute on the right wing, but I like Benayoun and the cash from his sale. Yossi is a great bench player, a more skilled Park Ji-Sung who overshadows more expensive under-achievers. But with the leftover money we've acquired, we'll go out and spend good money on high rated youngsters. Romano Lukaku, Andre Ayew, Moussa Sissoko, Afellay, these kind of players. We all know who they are from searching the database. But the key is start building a younger side, stay away from players in their late 20's/early 30's who are about to start slowing down.

Do you miss 'Nando? Of course. But I am quite afraid that the continued wear and tear on him is going to leave you with a Michael Owen-like injury consistency. I also think you have to make sacrifices, and this is akin to Ronaldo leaving Man U. Without the bench strength and youth prospects you cannot survive the long EPL campaign, and unfortunately Torres is the way to solve these problems. This team, if it comes through on potential, would slice apart the likes of Man City/Spurs, and give you more opportunities to start putting up 3-4 goals on the lower teams, instead of praying to scrape by on a late goal 2-1.

Did we spend more than we sold? Yes, but the difference is huge if you keep Torres. The total here could run up near $80-100 million with Torres, but by selling him we try to keep the deficit down near $30 million, and a much more manageable plan for new investors.

Re: Fixes for Liverpool (From a non-fan)

liverpool just need to sell benayun and mascherano,give babel more chance to play and to buy maybe some experience strikers like inzaghi and one in midfield who can replace gerrard but it s very hard to find such player but i think aquilany could do it part.mertesacker isnt so great cb ,ithink guti would be great in mf

liverpool just need to sell benayun and mascherano' date='give babel more chance to play and to buy maybe some experience strikers like inzaghi and one in midfield who can replace gerrard but it s very hard to find such player but i think aquilany could do it part.mertesacker isnt so great cb ,ithink guti would be great in mf[/quote']

I'm sorry the title is called "FIXES" for Liverpool, not how to single handedly destroy them.

Benayoun or Babel is an interesting debate, but you're not going to lure a 36 year old Pipo from Italy and solve your scoring options. Also if you bring in Guti and sell Gerrard you are MASSIVELY downgrading your midfield. I like Guti but he's on the wrong side of 30. Guti-Lucas-Aquilani-Babel-Kuyt certainly doesn't strike fear in the hearts of stalwart opponents.

I'm still mixed on Mertesacker, I don't get to watch many German games let alone Werder. Maybe Bruno Alves is the better choice? I'd revise and go Alves if he was a significantly faster player than Mertesacker. If you're going to compete in Europe you need at least 1 central defender with good legs.

That's a rather poor accusation to make (if directed at me). I can't use the languate I'd like to direct at you if you're saying I copy/paste.

And yes, I have a bad habit of using the word "we" when referring to sports. There's a lot of us, mind you.

i said without selling gerrard and toress it would be cheap buyings guti and inzaghi could replace gerrard and toress when they are injured,babel is much younger and faster then benayoun,inzaghi maybe very old but he knows how to put ball in net,not attractive but very effecient,higuain will be very expensive to buy,and defence do they need strong cb or fast ,don know meni fast cb,ramos is the fastest i think that can play cb,or pepe,chivu would be great but also very expensive

liverpool just need to sell benayun and mascherano' date='give babel more chance to play and to buy maybe some experience strikers like inzaghi and one in midfield who can replace gerrard but it s very hard to find such player but i think aquilany could do it part.mertesacker isnt so great cb ,ithink guti would be great in mf[/quote']

Sell Benayoun? Mascherano? We'd be the richest in the world if we did that, do you want football at all? Also, mate, this would maybe 'fix' Liverpool if Rafa was reading this :P. A Everton fan's tactic couldn't be worse.

Rafa is far too negative. Boy it must frustrate the hell out of Liverpool fans.

Take todays match against Stoke -

Reina, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Insua, Degen, Lucas, Mascherano, Aurelio, Kuyt, Ngog

6 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders and 2 strikers who don't score goals and a £20M player sat on the bench - again!

The manager seems to build his whole ethos around the fact he would rather draw 3 games in a row 0-0 than play attractive attacking football where you perahps win 2 and lose 1. That and the fact that Insua and Kuyt have to play every game for some reason.

He should be sacked at the end of the season, whether Liverpool can afford to pay him off is another matter.

I wish I knew an easy fix but I can see the likes of Torres and Gerrard moving on should they fail to finish in the top 4.

Rafa is far too negative. Boy it must frustrate the hell out of Liverpool fans.

Take todays match against Stoke -

Reina' date=' Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Insua, Degen, Lucas, Mascherano, Aurelio, Kuyt, Ngog

6 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders and 2 strikers who don't score goals and a £20M player sat on the bench - again![/b']

The manager seems to build his whole ethos around the fact he would rather draw 3 games in a row 0-0 than play attractive attacking football where you perahps win 2 and lose 1. That and the fact that Insua and Kuyt have to play every game for some reason.

He should be sacked at the end of the season, whether Liverpool can afford to pay him off is another matter.

I wish I knew an easy fix but I can see the likes of Torres and Gerrard moving on should they fail to finish in the top 4.

Did it work?

Yes.

Depends if you class a point against stoke as a good result ?

The fact we only got a point wasn't Benitez's fault though. He picked the right team and set them up the best way possible and they should have won. And would have done had Kuyt scored that sitter at the end.

Reina

Toulalan--Aquilani

Gerrard------Di Maria

Higuain--Chamakh

Even if this is achieved, the back-up options would be: Cavalari, Ayala, Kelly, Plessis, N'Gog etc..., as you would have sold every other play (bar the starting 11) to achieve the squad

Even if this is achieved, the back-up options would be: Cavalari, Ayala, Kelly, Plessis, N'Gog etc..., as you would have sold every other play (bar the starting 11) to achieve the squad

Not true, I left the following bench players

Cavallieri

Skrtel

Maxwell (as part of the Masch deal, may be someone else I was just suggesting you get a player back)

Lucas

Benayoun

N'Gog

Plus I didn't know what to do with Riera

And a veteran striker/strong youth player

That was the bench I left, and certainly looks better than what you thought, no?

Well now that your inability to ward off Stoke City has put another dagger in Rafa' date=' and your utter mess of a team/organization is in grave danger of falling ANOTHER 2 points behind the Champions League spots, it's time to do some critical thinking. How do we fix this team? Who stays? Who goes? How long can we continue to get laughed at?

The following "plan of action" needs to begin immediately. Now, I've ommitted two key elements. I am assuming that a) Rafa is gone, and B) so are the owners. However you don't get off easy Liverpool, you don't get to hire Guus Hiddink and have some wealthy Saudi prince buy your club. No, this is a working plan.

[i']On a side note, yes I am an Everton fan, but I find this situation fascinating and let's face it, the list to fix Everton is two items long; stop getting hurt, buy a striker[/i]

Step 1: Sell your soon to be peripheral players

Goodbye to Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Nabil El Zhar, and Dirk Kuyt. A few are obvious, but Kuyt is the key here; he has to go. The fact that Gerrard and Torres score 50% of LFC's goals is indicative of a paltry midfield. Now yes, many clubs are limited to two goal scorers, but you would still assess that many other players are threats to score goals and create goals. Watching Kuyt you have to keep reminding yourself he used to be a striker. Misses at Portsmouth and Stoke are too critical to a long campaign like the Premiership. If you're going to be average on the ball and average delivering the ball, you had better score, and Kuyt doesn't do enough clinical finishing.

Projected windfall: $25-30 million.

Step 2: Time to sell some stars

First up and out of Merseyside is Javier Mascherano. The cyclical nature of trends in sports has come around to the "defensive midfielder/Makelele" position. After years of the position being undervalued, it is now OVER-valued. Not in that it is not a critical position, but in that there are many players who can adequately fit the position. Mascherano is a walking red card who has a high cash value. We're going to sell him off to Spain for a good price, and hopefully bring in a nice bench player to bolster squad depth. If he goes to Barcelona, I'd suggest Maxwell as a player who can ably back-up your left back of the future, Insua. If Real Madrid want him then perhaps a Drenthe/Granero as a youngster coming off the bench who may prove himself.

Okay, now for second part of this equation. No, we are not going to sell Steven Gerrard. The damage to your fan base would be irreconcilable, and it's too tough to find English midfielders like Stevie. So instead, we're gonna sell your other big boy, and that means goodbye Fernando Torres. The reasoning? Well, you're going to have to sell him if you don't make the Champs League. He also get injured/nicked a lot and in the EPL it's only going to get worse over time as the injuries mount up. He'll be the premier player available, as we're hoping Valencia make the CL and David Villa stays.

Send 'Nando to Spain for the highest bidder. If Man U. can sell CR, then you can sell him. particularly when you most likely aren't going to have a choice. Gerrard will stay if you don't make the CL, but it's unlikely that Torres will. Again however, we dangle out two options to interested clubs. You can either pay a boatload of cash, or let us pick a player for exchange. As I think Mascherano was more highly pursued by Barca, let him go there. Let Real Madrid take 'Nando, but undercut the Ribery price and ask for Higuain in return. Don't worry, he'll start, but you have to convince Perez there's no room for Benz, Torres, Negredo, AND Higuain, the player we want.

Projected Windfall; around $25 million for Mascherano + a player, and let's say at least $65 million for Fernando, or $55 + Higuain (preferred)

Step 3: Back to 4-4-2

You can't play a Spanish style 4-5-1 in the EPL with the way that the lower teams play you. Slow possession and timely passing get countered out by packing men, and hitting you on the counter-attack. We need to do a few things with the new 4-4-2.

First, relieve the pressure on Gerrard. I love 4-5-1 formations, but this guy would be better served playing behind two strikers. It's too easy to pick him out when a player like Torres has the ball in a non-scoring position. Fernando's on-the-ball ability is countered by the fact that he only has Gerrard to finish his moves. Letting Gerrard into the play later makes him more lethal, forcing a midfielder to pick him up rather than a central defender. And by going with a 4-4-2 we try to increase chances from crosses/set pieces. I love Torres, but he's not as much a menace in the air as we need from set pieces.

Step 4: Okay, who's playing in this formation?

Valid question by myself. We'll start from the back. Glen Johnson is fine. Insua should be given the opportunity to prove himself. We do however, need to bring a central defender. Carragher is just getting too old, and we are going to give Martin Skrtel the chance to prove himself. If Johnson is going to bomb up the right side we need a tougher player on his side of central defense. The first player we will attempt to bring in is Per Mertesacker. He's gigantic, swats away balls in the air, is still young, and plays for a team in a non-bulletproof position. Put him next to a leader like Carragher and let him learn how to command the back line.

Back-up options: Bruno Alves (I would be happy to settle on), Phillipe Mexes, Gonzalo at CB. If you're unconvinced that Insua can do the job, grab Leighton Baines and be very happy.

Up top we've already nabbed Higuain, and now we need to pair him with someone. Since we've been able to pick up a nice pot of cash, we can afford to overpay on Marouane Chamakh. Goal.com recently did a quick piece on him, and they are right in pointing his "aerial efficiency". He is also used to playing with a great attacking midfielder right behind him (Gourcuff) and not at the advanced age of others. We're going to need to break down these defenses with power alongside Higuain, not another skillful player.

Back-up options; Carlton Cole, Marcus Berg, Marc Janko. And keep developing N'Gog, but also don't spend money on flippin' Kenwyne Jones. Ugh. Also look for an older player who can sub for Chamakh. RVN, Trez, that sort of finisher who is inexpensive, doesn't need to play every game. There's always an Hernan Crespo-like player out there.

Finally, the midfield. Hoo boy. We start by replacing Mascherano, and I'm going back to France with Jeremy Toulalan. A player who can break a stone wall, cover deep in defense (he's played CB), and will not be too expensive as he is near end of contract and a few years older than Masch. Toulalan is also unselfish in his responsibilities; which means you can sit Aquilani down next to him, and allow Alberto to make plays right behind Gerrard, and move up the field as long as Toulalan can cover. Pairing two players more accustomed to attack (Leiva and Aquilani) would leave us in the same position of getting beaten on counter-attacks.

And finally to pair up with Gerrard we have a bit of a decision to make? Do we keep Riera? Can Maxi fill in? I'm going no on both accounts. Maxi will stay, but as a great cover for injuries, and to allow us to flex into a 4-5-1 with Maxi on the right if needed. Playing up with Gerrard will be Angel Di Maria. I wasn't convinced Di Maria could play in the EPL until I found out he's nearly six feet tall(!). He provides goal scoring-ability and is left footed to boot. If you can get Glen Johnson in an advanced positon, you then swing Di Maria out left and have a sort of 3-5-2. He may be expensive, but you're going have to spend some money here, folks.

Back-up options; Jonathan De Guzman, Steven Defour/Alex Witsel, Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil, etc.

So we now have a new look formation bought with players that CAN be had. That is of the utmost. No matter how much money you have, you won't be able to pry away talent from CL teams. Bring in a great, international coach who is going to excite these guys, and hope that a few of them don't even make the CL. We're also staying away from players out of our reach like Kjaer, Dzeko, David Silva, etc. And again, with Chamakh, the money we just raised through selling allows us to overbid the competition (Arsenal).

Reina

Toulalan--Aquilani

Gerrard------Di Maria

Higuain--Chamakh

Step 5: Copy Sir Alex (a bit)

The most curious transfer of the off-season might have Gabby Obertan to Manchester. However, he is the type of great gamble you can make after selling off so many keep players. This one is up to the club if they've given up on Ryan Babel. Babel could be an impactful substitute on the right wing, but I like Benayoun and the cash from his sale. Yossi is a great bench player, a more skilled Park Ji-Sung who overshadows more expensive under-achievers. But with the leftover money we've acquired, we'll go out and spend good money on high rated youngsters. Romano Lukaku, Andre Ayew, Moussa Sissoko, Afellay, these kind of players. We all know who they are from searching the database. But the key is start building a younger side, stay away from players in their late 20's/early 30's who are about to start slowing down.

Do you miss 'Nando? Of course. But I am quite afraid that the continued wear and tear on him is going to leave you with a Michael Owen-like injury consistency. I also think you have to make sacrifices, and this is akin to Ronaldo leaving Man U. Without the bench strength and youth prospects you cannot survive the long EPL campaign, and unfortunately Torres is the way to solve these problems. This team, if it comes through on potential, would slice apart the likes of Man City/Spurs, and give you more opportunities to start putting up 3-4 goals on the lower teams, instead of praying to scrape by on a late goal 2-1.

Did we spend more than we sold? Yes, but the difference is huge if you keep Torres. The total here could run up near $80-100 million with Torres, but by selling him we try to keep the deficit down near $30 million, and a much more manageable plan for new investors.

I noticed something, its funny, but I'm sure its not what you intended to write. First of all you said goodbye Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Nabil El Zhar, and Dirk Kuyt, scored against Everton, your preferred team.

Then you said sell Mascherano who took the shot that deflected past Tim Howard, seems strange, because if it did happen, we'd only get a draw against Everton :P

I noticed something, its funny, but I'm sure its not what you intended to write.

Not actually intended but rather funny nonetheless. I blanked that game out of my memory it seems. I still think Kuyt is somewhere south of rubbish. I do love Benayoun though--Liverpool just seem like a much more dangerous, active team when he's in there.

Dirk Kuyt's thought process in a game;

"Okay....yeah.....yeah....got the ball....okay run hard with it....oh, here comes a defender....okay run harder but this time go really wide around him....yeah....yeah....okay let's cross this one......cmon Dirk don't kick it over the back line...c'mon Dirk keep it in....looking good................*ball lands in the river*...............oh hamburgers"

Not actually intended but rather funny nonetheless. I blanked that game out of my memory it seems. I still think Kuyt is somewhere south of rubbish. I do love Benayoun though--Liverpool just seem like a much more dangerous' date=' active team when he's in there.

Dirk Kuyt's thought process in a game;

"Okay....yeah.....yeah....got the ball....okay run hard with it....oh, here comes a defender....okay run harder but this time go really wide around him....yeah....yeah....okay let's cross this one......cmon Dirk don't kick it over the back line...c'mon Dirk keep it in....looking good................*ball lands in the river*...............oh hamburgers"

He hit the post near the end against Stoke, disapointing, but you have to live with it. He's good for a tap in, he has confidence when he plays, Benayoun, I think he is playing well at the moment.

mascherano got red and ban 4 matches sosell him he just cant play ,very annoying cause of him liverpools playing looks bad.benayoun scored couple goals but loose to many balls.

for money 2 of them u can buy 3 or 4 quality players

rafa is great coach he won cl with liverpool after how many years i dont know,but if he wasnt there ,they wouldnt win cl in next 100 years

Seriously , rafa is so negative . 6 defender against

stoke , i'd not mind if he did that when we play barca

but stoke . cmon . aQuilani , maxi , pacheco would do much

better than kuyt . How can he play kuyt week in week out

is beyond my mind . how many time did he loses the ball .

slow . I'm one of lucas hater but with his current form i'm

not mind playing him . For someone who said we were unlucky ,

no we were lucky actually . we scored bcoz of stupid mistake by

sorenson . the were outplayed us and they did deserve to get a

point . In Rafa i'm not trust anymore . RAFA OUT :mad::mad:

No offence, but the supposed idea is quite unrealistic (however, if you meant that in FM, that would probably work). A lot of players have almost quite small chances to come, whereas you've left a lot of again players and some that aren't good enough (at least in my opinion).

" How can he play kuyt week in week out is beyond my mind "

Rafa sees him as an asset to a Liverpool side, particularly as a "balance" to Torres & to a lesser extent Gerard. His energy, work-rate, positional sense & selflessness are particularly useful. With Torres particularly & Gerard OUT of the side he is not good enough to compensate as a goalscorer or to a lesser extent provider. Obviously with Torres, Gerard & Benayoun out of the side & Alonso gone that only leaves the 2nd rank to take their place, I include Lucas & injury prone Aquilani in this too. A fact no one can get away from, even a new manager. While seeming to defend Rafa I must admit I don't like him one bit. His arrogance in almost completely ignoring / freezing out such as Babel & Keen & not being able to keep Alonso are deep rooted faultlines & character faultlines at that.

Think aslong as Hicks and Gillett are still in charge, the club will have no money to spend on players, so for the time being a top six finish will have to be the best for Liverpool until the American owners leave. :(

I think the American owners have saddled the club with so much debt they can no longer afford the very best players.

Sad to see a great club ending up scrapping for a Europa cup place with the possibility of Torres and Gerrard walking at the end of the season to help pay off debts and to ensure Champions League football for these players.

Its not just about playing in the Champions League its about standing a chance of winning it. They do not have the strength in depth to win it with the current squad. Rafas love affair with playing Kuyt and Lucas above and beyond any other player will ultimately be his downfall.

Debt and player exodus could mean 6/7th place finish each season becomes the norm.

mascherano got red and ban 4 matches sosell him he just cant play ' date='very annoying cause of him liverpools playing looks bad.benayoun scored couple goals but loose to many balls.

for money 2 of them u can buy 3 or 4 quality players

rafa is great coach he won cl with liverpool after how many years i dont know,but if he wasnt there ,they wouldnt win cl in next 100 years[/quote']

Hey mate, Mascherano is back from suspension.

a charity appeal in aid of the terrible events this week. shocked....devastated...no hope....no money....no future...everything gone...no one can help them...its a disaster of terrible proportions. please send what you can to the 'liverpool fc, we used to be a big club' appeal. donations can be given online at www.keeprafa@anfield/seasonoverinjan.co.uk