Sign in to follow this  
Kylan N17

The Official NHL Thread

Re: The NHL thread

But Selanne is a legend! Hasn't suffered any major injury problems' date=' nor has left the NHL for a mass period to go and play in a lesser Euro Super League. :P Not to mention, at Anaheim, he had the greatest player of all-time setting up his goals - PAUL KARIYA! :D Whom if I may add is a FA, sitting the season out, recovering from a concussion for the previous season. Would be nice if he comes to the Leafs.[/quote']

selanne had a major injury before and during lock out. he tried to play through it, but ended up being rubbish (colorado experiment).

kariya is past it. his game was based on speed. and he looked uninterested in st louis.

forsberg is a true warrior, who plays for the love of game. i dont get the same feeling from kariya

in summary, selanne and forsberg are legends and first ballot all star players. kariya? nah.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets crocked and retires at the end of the year' date=' permanently. If Sundin and Naslund struggled in the new NHL era as it were, can't see Forsberg getting back into the thick of things either, especially at his age, fitness with regards to being able to not get injured. Avs are living in the past.[/quote']
such a pessimist :D.

u might be right.

but forsberg's has qualities most todays players dont.

hell probably get injured but until then' date=' lets let the guy live his passion.

ps. not all old forwards suck, just look at selanne![/quote']

Well that didn't last long did it. ;)

yup' date=' too bad for foppa.

seen the trades recently? the big fishes are really moving around this year!![/quote']

Yip. The Kaberle transfer has gotten alot of face time here. Once again the Leafs waving the rebuilding flag, with more and more draft picks coming in.

The Fisher transfer has been a laugh, from Ottawa to Nashville. People are most notably saying the transfer was due to his recent marriage with that yank singer, Carrie Underwood, now Ottawa radio stations are refusing to play her music. lol.

One things apparent though with the moves, most playoff teams all seem to be after the same mould of player - a D-line player who can move the puck, especially since numerous players like that have been getting injured.

yup, but no one wanted souray at half price still! lol

old guys aside, lots of young top talent was moving around. johnson-stewart+young d trade was a shocker! and craig anderson for elliott?!? lol. and neal goligoski deal, ? neal is better than goli, lol! and dallas threw in niskanen? wow.

and white got moved again...thats 3 teams in a year. and wheeler moved, gosh.

Yip. The Kaberle transfer has gotten alot of face time here. Once again the Leafs waving the rebuilding flag' date=' with more and more draft picks coming in.

The Fisher transfer has been a laugh, from Ottawa to Nashville. People are most notably saying the transfer was due to his recent marriage with that yank singer, Carrie Underwood, now Ottawa radio stations are refusing to play her music. lol.

One things apparent though with the moves, most playoff teams all seem to be after the same mould of player - a D-line player who can move the puck, especially since numerous players like that have been getting injured.[/quote']

They still have a chance to getting into the playoffs. Seems like they are giving up this season and looking into next year.

Watched some of the NHL trade deadline stuff yesterday on the tele, as I'm on 'Reading Week', have to say, it's peas compared to the January transfer deadline.

Not much happened as far as big massive moves go. The Canadian media always hype things up - NHL related, far too much, beyond belief, it's almost as if they have nothing better to do. ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet would analyze children trading Pokemon cards if they could. :rolleyes:

Some pre-deadline moves were pretty big though

this year was more active than past few years combined.

Yeah' date=' I agree with you there, the bigger transfers were done before hand, yesterday the biggest move was probably Penner to the Kings, even then it's not ground-breaking stuff.

This year was more active!? :confused: Bloody 'ell, I thought it was s-l-o-w. Guess the football January transfer deadline cavorts ideas into my head that we should see players like; [i']St.Louis, Kessel, Toews ... etc... [/i] moving to spice things up, but since things aren't' as cash oriented other than to control the cap in hockey, we won't ever see that.

Yeah' date=' I agree with you there, the bigger transfers were done before hand, yesterday the biggest move was probably Penner to the Kings, even then it's not ground-breaking stuff.

This year was more active!? :confused: Bloody 'ell, I thought it was s-l-o-w. Guess the football January transfer deadline cavorts ideas into my head that we should see players like; [i']St.Louis, Kessel, Toews ... etc... [/i] moving to spice things up, but since things aren't' as cash oriented other than to control the cap in hockey, we won't ever see that.

yup, it's the cap. it's always hard to fit cap stuff

i meant this year's pre-deadline stuff was bigger than past years

most people say this is a clean hit but i disagree. Look where the puck is when Chara pushes him (it's halfway down the ice) Should have gotten a suspension imo

I'm kinda with the crowd in saying the hit was clean, he did finish his check, there was nothing wrong with that. Where the problem lies though is in Chara's judgment and awareness. He knew exactly when he was going to check Pacioretty, and he knew exactly where that partition was going to be, it was complete disregard on that part, where he couldn't care less what happened to Pacioretty which deserves some punishment. It's a hit, but a brutal one, that if Chara wasn't as thick headed, could have been easily avoided.

I'm kinda with the crowd in saying the hit was clean' date=' he did finish his check, there was nothing wrong with that. Where the problem lies though is in Chara's judgment and awareness. He knew exactly when he was going to check Pacioretty, and he knew exactly where that partition was going to be, it was complete disregard on that part, where he couldn't care less what happened to Pacioretty which deserves some punishment. It's a hit, but a brutal one, that if Chara wasn't as thick headed, could have been easily avoided.[/quote']

man idk. imo it was after the play was made (dumping the puck). If it was a bang bang play i would understand but Chara had enough time to figure out that the puck was gone. Deliberate late hit imo. I mean I don't think Chara meant to injure him but i feel it was dangerous, unnecessary, and illegal. I guess we just have different opinions :rolleyes: Just a random question, do you play or have ever played hockey before? I feel like my opinion is based on the fact that if that had happened to me in a game (which it has) it should be a penalty for a late hit, or interference at least. Anyways glad I found this thread, should be posting here a lot :)

man idk. imo it was after the play was made (dumping the puck). If it was a bang bang play i would understand but Chara had enough time to figure out that the puck was gone. Deliberate late hit imo. I mean I don't think Chara meant to injure him but i feel it was dangerous' date=' unnecessary, and illegal. I guess we just have different opinions :rolleyes: [b']Just a random question, do you play or have ever played hockey before? I feel like my opinion is based on the fact that if that had happened to me in a game (which it has) it should be a penalty for a late hit, or interference at least. Anyways glad I found this thread, should be posting here a lot :)[/b]

I see what you mean, that's exactly where I put Chara's judgment in question. I also don't think he meant to injure him, but when you see that partition there, you're both chasing the puck, Chara knows he's gonna check Pac, he's much bigger, and WHAM, Chara can't say he didn't see it coming, completely reckless and a show of no disregard on his part.

Yep, I play ball hockey every week, in those indoor arena rinks, but I've never played ice hockey (can't skate backwards :o), plus I'd rather save my body from those checks, as I play Sunday League football, where I already pick up far too many knocks. :(

Good to have you on board, as you can tell not that many NHL enthusiasts here on the forums, to be honest, I'm not really that much of an avid NHL watcher either anymore, most of what I see of it comes from watching highlight shows on SportsCenter, but being in Toronto, I try to keep up, otherwise when I head to the pub/bar with mates for a game I don't have a clue what people are on about.

Btw, you'll be happy to know, my favourite player plays for your hometown Blackhawks - Jonathan TOEWS!

Btw' date=' you'll be happy to know, my favourite player plays for your hometown Blackhawks - Jonathan TOEWS![/quote']

Nice, Toews is my favorite player on the Hawks too. Great two-way forward. If he played D he'd remind me of myself ;). Although I do have to say that the Hawks are not my favorites unfortunately. Since I was born in New Jersey, I've always supported the Devils (partially why my forum name is dhulldevsfan :)) I do support the Hawks as long as they're not playing the Devils though :D

Nice' date=' Toews is my favorite player on the Hawks too. Great two-way forward. If he played D he'd remind me of myself ;). Although I do have to say that the Hawks are not my favorites unfortunately. Since I was born in New Jersey, I've always supported the Devils (partially why my forum name is dhulldevsfan :)) I do support the Hawks as long as they're not playing the Devils though :D[/quote']

Ahhh. NJ Devils. Hate them. :P

I used to, when I was really into hockey, followed the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, as I recognized their logo, from the Disney movie, was a big fan of Paul Kariya. After years of following them they finally made the Stanley Cup finals, only to be beat by your .... Devils, if I remember correctly I think it even went 7 games. tut tut. :mad:

Ahhh. NJ Devils. Hate them. :P

I used to' date=' when I was really into hockey, followed the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, as I recognized their logo, from the Disney movie, was a big fan of Paul Kariya. After years of following them they finally made the Stanley Cup finals, only to be beat by your .... Devils, if I remember correctly I think it even went 7 games. tut tut. :mad:[/quote']

Yea great series, our third cup in seven years :D. Haha the mighty ducks movies were awful :P (but yea I loved them when I was little) Remember that hit Stevens put on Kariya? One of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen. Guess it turned out ok for you though because he came back and scored the winning goal. I remember being pretty angry...

Ducks fan here.

We hate Kariya. ;)

Ducks Fan? Nice. Hate Kariya? Shame on your sir! :P May I ask why?

For me the guy was like the Stevie G of the Ducks. A great captain, leader, spent the entirety of his prime at one club, drowned by some injuries from time-to-time (concussions), was always a game breaker, could bring the game back, an amazing passer, you could say him and Selanne had the Gerrard-Torres 1-2-esque thing going on, along with Kariya probably being one of the best puck handlers the NHL has ever seen. He's one of maybe 2/3 Duck legends, with what little history the club have.

Ducks Fan? Nice. Hate Kariya? Shame on your sir! :P May I ask why?

For me the guy was like the Stevie G of the Ducks. A great captain' date=' leader, spent the entirety of his prime at one club, drowned by some injuries from time-to-time (concussions), was always a game breaker, could bring the game back, an amazing passer, you could say him and Selanne had the Gerrard-Torres 1-2-esque thing going on, along with Kariya probably being one of the best puck handlers the NHL has ever seen. He's one of maybe 2/3 Duck legends, with what little history the club have.[/quote']

Oh no Sir, he said he wanted to win the cup and left us. In Ducks fans's eyes he is a traitor. No one wants him back. Unless that's the price to keep Selanne.

Selanne is God.

Oh no Sir' date=' he said he wanted to win the cup and left us. In Ducks fans's eyes he is a traitor. No one wants him back. Unless that's the price to keep Selanne.

Selanne is God.[/quote']

I understand kind of where you're coming from, but don't forget, he wasn't the only one to leave, Selanne left too, albeit first via a trade to San Jose, but then went through free agency, could have come back to Anaheim, yet opted to sign with Colorado in 03, although as you state he did return, in 05, after the lock-out.

Kariya stayed all the way till 03, being part of the team that got the Ducks to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in history, although he did betray the organization, saying he would re-sign, but then the lock-out happened, along with him then earning around $10m/year, he went to Colorado to relish the chance to link up with Teemu again, took a massive paycut, was only earning something like $1.1m/year. I would have been peeved, but seeing he was on $7m/year at Anaheim, went to $1.1m/year, his motives were clear, to have a solid run at the cup, with proven winners, with a brilliant team, although reminiscent of AC Milan, with aging players, getting past it now, his move not being money based.

You could say ultimately Kariya paid the price, as he missed out on Brian Burke's whole rebuilding process of the Ducks which turned them into Stanley Cup champs, but I'm of the opinion that once he retires his jersey will be put up to the rafters in Anaheim, there's been no better no.9 ever in the organization, the club's first ever draft pick.

Who would you guys say the biggest surprise of the season has been?

I'd have to go with Corey Perry. Who would have thought, at the beginning of the season, that he'd be at the top of the major statistical categories?

Who would you guys say the biggest surprise of the season has been?

I'd have to go with Corey Perry. Who would have thought' date=' at the beginning of the season, that he'd be at the top of the major statistical categories?[/quote']

Err...me. Us Ducks fans know that we have multiple MVP candidates in our hands (they just need to hit their stride). Always had the talent, many times just too undisciplined.

As for surprise, I think Selanne's point-per game pace is something.76 points and 9th in overall points. This when he is almost 41.