Sign in to follow this  
Kylan N17

The Official NHL Thread

Re: The NHL thread

Err...me. Us Ducks fans know that we have multiple MVP candidates in our hands (they just need to hit their stride). Always had the talent' date=' many times just too undisciplined.

As for surprise, I think Selanne's point-per game pace is something.76 points and 9th in overall points. This when he is almost 41.[/quote']

Very true. I guess the Ducks have all the surprises.

For the biggest surprise, probably has to be Selanne for me too. He's 40+ yrs/old, yet it still a proven scorer, which is something that leaves to be desired as in what is seen as 'the new NHL', where older players legs usually run-out, they can't keep pace with the younger crowd, yet Selanne has proved to be consistent regardless, like players such as Sakic, Sundin, etc... (now retired).

Also if you look at the point leaders, Selanne is up there, as well as having played something like 10 games less than the others, looking at his current stats, adding 10 games on that, with the point rate he's on, he'd be in something like 5th.

Apart from Selanne I do have one other surprise, that would be James Reimer, aka Optimus Reim. The Leafs, although started the season off hot, sooner or later became the typical Leafs again, blatantly rubbish. In what looked like the season for them would be going South, in stepped Remier, a rookie, called up from the Marlies, to the most cut-throat market to play in the NHL, Toronto, where the media just eat you up, chew you for a bit, mull over the taste, and spit you out. Reimer's come in, put up an 18-8-4, has brought a new found confidence to the Leafs, even has them in the run for the 8th, final playoff spot in the East, which I think they've left it too late in the season to get, but nonetheless, this guy has been amazing, it'll be between him and Skinner for Rookie of the Year. Reimer's looking like what the Leafs have needed for sometime between the pipes, some would say since Cujo.

How about my what? The biggest surprise in my opinion? I said Perry before.

Oops' date=' yeah :o

For the biggest surprise, probably has to be Selanne for me too. He's 40+ yrs/old, yet it still a proven scorer, which is something that leaves to be desired as in what is seen as 'the new NHL', where older players legs usually run-out, they can't keep pace with the younger crowd, yet Selanne has proved to be consistent regardless, like players such as Sakic, Sundin, etc... (now retired).

Also if you look at the point leaders, Selanne is up there, as well as having played something like 10 games less than the others, looking at his current stats, adding 10 games on that, with the point rate he's on, he'd be in something like 5th.

Apart from Selanne I do have one other surprise, that would be James Reimer, aka Optimus Reim. The Leafs, although started the season off hot, sooner or later became the typical Leafs again, blatantly rubbish. In what looked like the season for them would be going South, in stepped Remier, a rookie, called up from the Marlies, to the most cut-throat market to play in the NHL, Toronto, where the media just eat you up, chew you for a bit, mull over the taste, and spit you out. Reimer's come in, put up an 18-8-4, has brought a new found confidence to the Leafs, even has them in the run for the 8th, final playoff spot in the East, which I think they've left it too late in the season to get, but nonetheless, this guy has been amazing, it'll be between him and Skinner for Rookie of the Year. Reimer's looking like what the Leafs have needed for sometime between the pipes, some would say since Cujo.

Reimer did a fantastic job but hasn't been in the big league long enough to justify Calder. Rinne did a near full season's job and couldn't even get into top 3. I know Toronto is a hard place for a goalie but that can't be counted in the consideration :D.

No love for Fowler at all though? He has been ridiculously good, by far the best 2010 draft pick so far. Him and Carlson have been the elite Ds.

As for goalies, Reimer won't be in top 3. Philly's Bobro has been good longer. And Crawford. And even they won't win (one might get nominated)

I can see one of Skinner, Grabner, Couture or Carlson win it. And Fowler snubbed for playing to a smaller market :mad:

I'll do predictions for first round once I know the exact pairings.

East is set but West isn't yet.

EAST:

WSH - NYR. It's been 4-3 series both of the part two years (IIRC) so it's a tough one for Caps. But NYR has to be one of the weakest teams in the playoffs, if not the weakest, so... besides, Caps finally have a decent defense and goaltending, and the team seems to know how to defend better, instead of trying to run and gun all the time. Even OV has adjusted to this (less personal glory in terms of total goals and points, but more game winning goals than before).

PHI - BUF. Predicting a shocker here, second seed Flyers out. I'm totally unconvinced by Flyers's recent form.

BOS - MTL. This match-up is always fun. Boston is very strong in goal and Montreal really isn't much of a team right now. Past is past, Boston

PIT - TBL Surprise here too. Penguins have done well without Malkin and Crosby but this one is too much. Have you seen their forwards recently? That's just simply not enough firepower in the playoffs. Now, if Penguins get Sidney back in time, I'd give them a small advantage.

VAN - CHI. Canucks looking quite convincing right now. Defending champions may just run out of luck early.

SJ - LA. Going with Sharks...both have ability but this may just be the year Sharks will do better. Not convinced they'll go all the way but there is something different this time around (more scoring depth).

DET - PHX. Who knows? Yotes could easily shock people but I'll trust Wings's playoff expertise for now.

ANA - NSH. Ducks fan here. We've got a bunch of problems but liking what we've been doing recently. Preds is always tough with an unreal season from Rinne but I hope we can overcome them. Wonder which goalie is playing...I'm guessing Emery but where does that leave Hiller? And the RPG line has to be disciplined...playoff penalties get costly very quick. Selanne is having an unbelievable season though.

As I've said previously, don't really watch the NHL anymore, my interest of hockey over the past 4 years has somewhat dwindled, more a casual pub/bar affair watcher with mates, along with watching highlight shows. I'll play along with the playoff predictions though, although my method of picking may be abit unorthodox.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WSH - NYR

Semin, Nylander, Ovechkin, Varlamov. Far too strong in my opinion for the Rangers. Henno's in for a tough time.

PHI - BUF

Ryan Miller to choke in the first round, as well as the rest of the team not showing up. I see 7 games here though.

BOS - MTL

Boston could be the team to win this whole thing, they've got it all really, but there's just something about Montreal, where they always seem to have the potential to get on a great playoff run, on the back of Carey Price, I think they could be once again capable of doing it. 6 or 7 in this one.

PIT - TBL

Agree with Safir here, Sid the kid is still downing over his concussion, which wasn't a concussion at first, but the Pens have done well enough without him, but you need those extra players to up the ante in the playoffs, I can't see the Pens getting anywhere without Malkin and Crosby. Tampa have probably one of the top 3 most offensive quipped teams, good luck to Andre-Fleury. Lightning in 5 or 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

VAN - CHI

I know ... this one may be a really stupid pick n my part, but perhaps it's my bias towards Toews ... or not, but I think the 'Hawks can beat the beast in the West. I expect Keith, Seabrook to go to town physically on the Sedin twins, if they can't control that duo early, it's game over for the 'Hawks. Toews, Sharp, Kane, will need to be point getters, crack perhaps the best GK in the NHL, well in the west, Luongo. 7 games in this one.

SJ - LA

San Jose, perhaps the team many have favoured in recent years to win the Stanley Cup, yet they always choke. I see them getting by the Kings,, but as per usual, they're done in the next round.

DET - PHX

I'm giving the Coyotes no chance in this one. Even though they're in the playoffs, watch only half of their stadium be full. Sorry state of Phoenix, they'll be done in 4 or 5, hope they get pwned so bad, they finally take the team to Hamilton or Winnipeg.

ANA - NSH

I'm giving Nashville no chance here. The only thing that can beat Anaheim in this round is themselves. Nashville might have some weapons, especially in Mike Fisher, who's a proven playoff performer coming in from Ottawa, but the Ducks have some great firepower in Perry, Getzlaf, Selanne, speaking of which, did anyone see him fight last night? :D

nQqJGXz2fIw

Clifford got MURKED!

WSH - NYR

Semin' date=' Nylander, Ovechkin, Varlamov. Far too strong in my opinion for the Rangers. Henno's in for a tough time.[/i']

Nylander? Hasn't suited up for Caps since 2009 or something like that :D

Selanne, speaking of which, did anyone see him fight last night? :D

nQqJGXz2fIw

Clifford got MURKED!

Yup, number 15 was asking for it though. Shoved Selanne a few times too many. Selanne himself said in the Finnish media that it "felt better than a hat-trick"

Anyone else thinking that the Blackhawks will pull it out?

Pretty sure they'll win game 6 (I might be going :D)

Luongo is a mess, imo Vancouver should start Schneider (inexperienced but is playing much better then Luongo atm)

Dave Bolland has been HUGE

My guess is though than CHI runs out of gas. But I could be wrong.

Yea I guess they did in the end :(

Anyways great series, very entertaining, but I would've loved to see Vancouver (Luongo) pull off the epic choke job. I think the Hawks really deserved it more. I can't see Vancouver making a run at the cup, the Sedin's can't produce when the going gets tough. The Hawks on the other-hand would've had a decent shot at a repeat if they had beaten the Canucks imo.

My finals prediction - Washington vs Detroit with Washington winning in 7

What does everyone else think?

DET west.

East' date=' who knows. Flyers?

My east favs Caps will disappoint me again I think.[/quote']

Idk, the Flyers didn't impress me at all against the Sabres. I can't see Boston or TB winning the east either so I think this might just be the Caps year ;)

Detroit is only a game away from coming back from 3-0 deficit. I guess all the odds are on Detroit's side but somehow I have this funny feeling that Sharks won't let the Wings pull one off. We'll see...

Detroit is only a game away from coming back from 3-0 deficit. I guess all the odds are on Detroit's side but somehow I have this funny feeling that Sharks won't let the Wings pull one off. We'll see...

Well, the Sharks pulled that one off but were dominated by Vancouver.

In that other match up, Tampa has tied it at 3-3 against Boston. I believe Boston will get it done.