Sign in to follow this  
Kylan N17

The Official NHL Thread

Re: The NHL thread

Figured I would try to revive the thread with the playoffs being here. Go Preds!

It'll be nice to have someone to talk to mate

:)

I'm cheering for Bruins during the playoffs ! Gotta love Chara ! He played for my swedish team during the 04/05 lockout ^^

It'll be nice to have someone to talk to mate

I'm cheering for Bruins during the playoffs ! Gotta love Chara ! He played for my swedish team during the 04/05 lockout ^^

Yeah, Chara is a monster. Playing alongside him must be brilliant, playing against him must be terrifying. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bruins take the Cup again. I want the Preds to win it all, but I don't know if we can get out of the first round.

Yeah' date=' Chara is a monster. Playing alongside him must be brilliant, playing against him must be terrifying. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bruins take the Cup again. I want the Preds to win it all, but I don't know if we can get out of the first round.[/quote']

You've got a terrific team mate ! Rinne in goal ... and the monster that is Shea Weber !! Wow, I'd kill to have Weber in my team ... all we have in Toronto that can tackle decently is Phaneuf and he's borderline at the best of times.

Do Legwand still play for ye ? I've always liked him !

Yeah, Chara is a monster, but Seidenberg aint exactly a bad player either ! Did u see Caps V Bruins last night ? Seidenberg completely made Ovie look like a amateur !

You've got a terrific team mate ! Rinne in goal ... and the monster that is Shea Weber !! Wow' date=' I'd kill to have Weber in my team ... all we have in Toronto that can tackle decently is Phaneuf and he's borderline at the best of times.

Do Legwand still play for ye ? I've always liked him !

Yeah, Chara is a monster, but Seidenberg aint exactly a bad player either ! Did u see Caps V Bruins last night ? Seidenberg completely made Ovie look like a amateur ! [/center']

Yeah, I love our team this year! I feel like we could actually reach the Cup finals! Rinne is fantastic, so is Weber ( although I don't know if we can hold on to him, he is a big money player that is wanted across the league), and we do still have Legwand. I like him too, he seems like a good guy and he can still perform decently.

Yeah' date=' I love our team this year! I feel like we could actually reach the Cup finals! Rinne is fantastic, so is Weber ( although I don't know if we can hold on to him, he is a big money player that is wanted across the league), and we do still have Legwand. I like him too, he seems like a good guy and he can still perform decently.[/quote']

I'd happily give up Schenn and Gunnarsson for Weber

;) Would be 2 decent players for him ... and Weber-Phaneuf would be nearly as deadly as Souray-Chara in Färjestad during the lockout season :P

Would really want Legwand in my team aswell ... those 2 together with Dupuis are my favourite players in the league ... Fleury is 4th on that list :P

Yeah, I think you might even make it to the final.

Will post some stuff from NHL.com on here to make some interesting reading for ya'll ... I hope you appreciate it.

First post is of one of the most underrated players in the league ! Panthers' LW Sean Bergenheim !

Is there any doubt playoff hockey brings out the best in Florida Panthers left wing Sean Bergenheim?

After missing out on all the fun of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in his first five seasons with the New York Islanders -- the team that drafted him with the 22nd pick in 2002 -- Bergenheim has proven to be one tough hombre the past two seasons in the State of Florida.

It all started last season with the Tampa Bay Lightning and has seemingly gathered steam with the Panthers in 2011-12.

Bergenheim hopes his success continues on Tuesday when the Panthers visit Prudential Center to face the New Jersey Devils in Game 3 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series, which is even at a game apiece.

"It's not only his goal-scoring touch with timely goals, but even though he's not an abrasive player, he's a hard player to play against," Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said. "He goes out there, is engaged, he's involved in every play, and he has a good stick. And sometimes an effective stick is as good as a big, strong, physical guy."

In his first playoff game with the Panthers last Friday, Bergenheim scored the team's first goal in a 3-2 loss to the Devils at BankAtlantic Center. In a 4-2 victory in Game 2 on Sunday, he notched an assist to boost his career playoff total to 10 goals and 13 points in 18 games.

He's not only notched two points for the Panthers this postseason, but also leads the team with 11 hits. He seems to have found a home on a line with center Marcel Goc and right wing Mikael Samuelsson.

"I think we're playing responsible hockey and we make it hard for the opponent to play us," Bergenheim told NHL.com. "I don't think there's any line out there that we can't handle. Also, we've chipped in offensively. We're pretty well-balanced. We are a two-way line, and we have offense and some skill. That's what makes it work."

During the 2010 offseason, Bergenheim signed a one-year contract with the Lightning and played a big role in helping the club advance to the Eastern Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins. He ranked second on the team with nine goals and fifth with 32 hits in 16 playoff games.

"Going through that experience really made me even hungrier to get back there this year," Bergenheim said.

On the opening day of free agency last July, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon went on a spending spree, inking Bergenheim to a four-year contract. The 28-year-old Finn finished the regular season with a career-high 17 goals and six assists in 62 games, despite being sidelined twice by injuries. In October, he sat out seven games with a lower-body injury, and in December missed 12 more with a groin strain.

"It was tough [being injured], because I felt I could give a lot and felt ready to go this season and show what I could do," Bergenheim said. "I really couldn't play at 100 percent the first part of the season, and twice I had to take a break and rehab and get the injury to feel as good as I possibly could.

"It was frustrating, coming to new team, wanting to impress and wanting to take the next step. But that's in the past … we're in the playoffs, and I'm having fun and feeling good now."

In addition to Bergenheim, Tallon also signed Goc, Scottie Upshall, Jose Theodore, ex-Panther Ed Jovanovski and Tomas Fleischmann during free agency.

"We had a lot of new guys come in and, combined with the veterans who were already here and anxious to see the team do well, it all came together," Bergenheim said. "Speaking for the new guys, I know we all wanted to change the course of the organization a little bit. Personally, I think it's a reflection of the new guys and the old guys here. I'm very proud we made the playoffs but, having said that, we haven't won anything yet.

"It's been a good season so far, but we don't want it to end."

Next up is my favourite D-man Shea Weber

"It's not only his goal-scoring touch with timely goals, but even though he's not an abrasive player, he's a hard player to play against," Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said. "He goes out there, is engaged, he's involved in every play, and he has a good stick. And sometimes an effective stick is as good as a big, strong, physical guy."

In his first playoff game with the Panthers last Friday, Bergenheim scored the team's first goal in a 3-2 loss to the Devils at BankAtlantic Center. In a 4-2 victory in Game 2 on Sunday, he notched an assist to boost his career playoff total to 10 goals and 13 points in 18 games.

He's not only notched two points for the Panthers this postseason, but also leads the team with 11 hits. He seems to have found a home on a line with center Marcel Goc and right wing Mikael Samuelsson.

"I think we're playing responsible hockey and we make it hard for the opponent to play us," Bergenheim told NHL.com. "I don't think there's any line out there that we can't handle. Also, we've chipped in offensively. We're pretty well-balanced. We are a two-way line, and we have offense and some skill. That's what makes it work."

During the 2010 offseason, Bergenheim signed a one-year contract with the Lightning and played a big role in helping the club advance to the Eastern Conference Finals against the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins. He ranked second on the team with nine goals and fifth with 32 hits in 16 playoff games.

"Going through that experience really made me even hungrier to get back there this year," Bergenheim said.

On the opening day of free agency last July, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon went on a spending spree, inking Bergenheim to a four-year contract. The 28-year-old Finn finished the regular season with a career-high 17 goals and six assists in 62 games, despite being sidelined twice by injuries. In October, he sat out seven games with a lower-body injury, and in December missed 12 more with a groin strain.

"It was tough [being injured], because I felt I could give a lot and felt ready to go this season and show what I could do," Bergenheim said. "I really couldn't play at 100 percent the first part of the season, and twice I had to take a break and rehab and get the injury to feel as good as I possibly could.

"It was frustrating, coming to new team, wanting to impress and wanting to take the next step. But that's in the past … we're in the playoffs, and I'm having fun and feeling good now."

In addition to Bergenheim, Tallon also signed Goc, Scottie Upshall, Jose Theodore, ex-Panther Ed Jovanovski and Tomas Fleischmann during free agency.

"We had a lot of new guys come in and, combined with the veterans who were already here and anxious to see the team do well, it all came together," Bergenheim said. "Speaking for the new guys, I know we all wanted to change the course of the organization a little bit. Personally, I think it's a reflection of the new guys and the old guys here. I'm very proud we made the playoffs but, having said that, we haven't won anything yet.

"It's been a good season so far, but we don't want it to end."

Weber showed it had little effect, playing more than 27 minutes and scoring Nashville's first goal. He also had three hits and three blocked shots.

Whatever treatment Weber receives from visiting fans, Predators coach Barry Trotz said Weber is equipped to handle it.

"He's a guy, he's had a lot of experiences," Trotz said right before Nashville left for Detroit to play in Game 3. "He's a guy that I think handles everything in a business-like and professional manner, and he will do the same going into Detroit.

"When you're a great player, which Shea is, I remember Hall of Famers like [Detroit great Chris] Chelios coming in here -- he wasn't exactly loved here. But at the same time, you loved him for the fact that the other team does get bothered by your presence or you playing or whatever, so you can use that to your advantage. I'm sure he'll be motivated by anything that happens."

The Predators now enter Game 4 with the momentum in this series, winning at Joe Louis during the playoffs for the first time in seven tries. Tuesday, they can attempt to put a stranglehold on this Western Conference Quarterfinal series when they play Game 4.

To do so, Nashville will again need its best players to be their best, as the saying goes. Weber, unquestionably, is one of their best.

This past year, he was a finalist for the Norris Trophy and during the 2011-12 regular season, his 19 goals tied for the League lead by a defenseman as he ranked fifth in average time on ice per game. In his first three games of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Weber has picked up where he left off. He has two goals while averaging 26:38 of ice time and posting an even rating.

Weber's first goal came at 4:44 of the third period on Friday in Game 2 and helped Nashville to cut Detroit's lead to 3-2, a gap they could not close before the final buzzer sounded.

As he is inclined to do, Weber moved in from the point, took a pass from center Paul Gaustad from behind the goal and then sent it high into the net with his backhand -- a shot he is less known for than his trademark slap shot that once sent the puck through the twine during the 2010 Olympics against Germany.

Through the first two games, Nashville's major failing had come on the power play. During the regular season, the Preds finished with the League's top-ranked unit, but they had not connected on 12 chances through the first two games. Again, Weber stepped up when needed, scoring the game's opening goal Sunday on the man advantage.

Weber is a major part of the power play, as Nashville tries to set up his shot. Twenty-two of his 49 regular-season points came with the man advantage.

At 1:36 of the first period in Game 2, Weber accepted a challenge from Detroit's Todd Bertuzzi and both players received fighting majors during a sequence in which the officials had signaled for a delayed penalty against Detroit.

That penalty prevented Weber from being a part of his team's first power play -- something that Trotz normally does not want Weber to do, but in this case, the coach understood that there were special circumstances.

"If I knew the future I'd say 'No, don't do that,'" Trotz said. "I knew something was up and sometimes teams will stick up for guys. I probably would say our response would be very similar to Detroit's if something happened to one of our guys and we agreed or disagreed with what was done. There might be a little bit of a response.

"It's part of hockey. It's just sort of that code that sometimes the players have to govern each other and Shea's not going to back down from that. Most times, he'll back away from that because I don't want him [off] the ice, but that was a situation where in the NHL code, unwritten codes we have, sometimes you say 'OK, I get it. I'm here. Let's have closure to this issue and let's move on.' And really that's what happened."

Now, Weber and the Predators need to concentrate on Game 4 and a win that would give them control of this series as it heads back to Nashville for Game 5.

I hope you lot enjoyed this

Will post some stuff from NHL.com on here to make some interesting reading for ya'll ... I hope you appreciate it.

First post is of one of the most underrated players in the league ! Panthers' LW Sean Bergenheim !

Next up is my favourite D-man Shea Weber

I hope you lot enjoyed this

Thanks, this is a neat thing to read. Nice to see an article on Weber, but the part about Bergenheim was very cool. I think Panthers GM Dale Tallon made some good free agency choices; Goc, a former Predator who I miss having, Upshall, Theodore, Jovanovski, and Fleischmann are all players who seem to be good fits for an organization like the Panthers. I wouldn't mind them making a deep Cup run!

Thanks' date=' this is a neat thing to read. Nice to see an article on Weber, but the part about Bergenheim was very cool. I think Panthers GM Dale Tallon made some good free agency choices; Goc, a former Predator who I miss having, Upshall, Theodore, Jovanovski, and Fleischmann are all players who seem to be good fits for an organization like the Panthers. I wouldn't mind them making a deep Cup run![/quote']

Cheers mate :) I'll start posting these articles a few times a times a day to make for some interest reading :):P Yeah, Tallon has made some amazing signins ! Goc is a very good one ... but I personally prefer Jovocop and Upshall ! GREAT signings !

All I can say is ... I want a inal between Preds and Bruins ! That'd be one legendary final ! :D

nhlround1.png

I predict the following semi-finals :

Western Conference :

Kings V Blues ( Anyone else that agrees with me that this could turn into one of those EPSN Classic moments in about 10-15 years ? Kings v Blues is almost the perfect Semi-Final ! )

Coyotes V Preds ( Really want Coyotes to win over Blackhawks since it was so long since they had any kind of success.

Eastern Conference :

Sens V Bruins

Panthers V Flyers

I'll up some articles ... but I'll start off with saying that the swedish superstars Zetterberg and Bäckström really seem to be unbalanced atm ... Bäckström with a cross-checking to Peverley's face while Zetterberg tried to re-decorate Weber's face with his stick ... I think that if the Preds can get him that unblanaced and unfocused ... they've won the QF right there.

Onto the articles !

First one's a real shorty on Marian Hossa's injury!

Chicago forward Marian Hossa was wheeled off on a stretcher in the first period of Game 3 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal series with Phoenix on Tuesday, injured by a hit from Phoenix forward Raffi Torres.

Hossa had just passed the puck at center ice when Torres came out of the Chicago zone and hit Hossa with his left shoulder. Hossa fell to the ice in front of the Blackhawks bench and was motionless for about a minute. He was attended to by the Chicago team doctor, two EMTs and the Hawks' trainer.

He was conscious and talking to the doctor as he left the ice before he was transported by ambulance to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

The Blackhawks released the following statement from Head Team Physician Dr. Michael Terry:

"Marian Hossa suffered an upper body blow in the first period of tonight's game. After initial evaluation on the ice he was taken by ambulance to the hospital for further testing, which yielded encouraging results. He has been released from the hospital and we are monitoring him closely at home. We anticipate a full recovery in a timetable yet to be determined."

Torres was not penalized on the play.

Second is on Daniel Sedin.

– Daniel Sedin said he is feeling better, but stopped short of saying he would return to the Vancouver Canucks lineup Wednesday night for Game 4 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals against the Los Angeles Kings.

Sedin appeared before a huge throng of reporters Tuesday and said he is doing well one month after he was concussed by an elbow from Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith.

"It's been a tough four weeks and it's good to be back and, first of all, feeling good," Sedin said. "That's my main issue."

Vancouver announced Monday that Sedin was fit to re-join practicing with the team. Sedin didn't commit to playing in Game 4.

"We'll see," he said. "We'll take it day-by-day. Today felt good and we'll see how it is tomorrow morning."

There is enormous pressure for Sedin to return. Vancouver trails 3-0 in this best-of-seven series and is on the verge of being eliminated in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs after claiming the Presidents' Trophy.

But Sedin said there was, "No pressure at all. This organization of GMs, coaches, trainers have been really good. No one's been holding me back. That's been the good thing about this. They're taking good care of me. I'm in touch with them every day."

Sedin acknowledged that he is not quite in game condition, given he has not played since that March 21 hit. What could he offer?

"I don't know," he said. "That's the thing, too. I haven't been able to work out, so my shape is probably about as slow as it's been in five years. We'll see how it goes. I mean, hopefully I can play on the power play and be a little bit of a difference there. That's my main focus."

Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault reiterated that they will re-evaluate Sedin on Wednesday morning. That didn't stop Vigneault from trying Daniel and brother Henrik on a line with David Booth during Tuesday's practice.

"This was just practice," Vigneault said. "I'm not 100 percent sure who's playing tomorrow yet. I'm just trying a different look."

On April 9, Sedin took his spot on first line and the first power-play unit and stayed on for a conditioning skate, but the following day skated with the extras. He didn't appear again publicly until last Friday when he came out in full gear an hour before the morning skate of Game 2.

"We went through all the steps and when I left the ice to practice with the team, things didn't feel 100 percent," Daniel Sedin said. "I just took a step back after I took one long half-day off."

Sedin was asked when his last headache occurred.

"Sunday evening when we lost [Game 3]," he joked.

On a serious note, he said watching has been difficult because, "It's been tough to know that you could maybe have made a difference out there. I think it's been tight games. We knew going into the series it was going to be tight. We were one in the conference and they were eight. But you look at the teams … it's a tough matchup. We knew we were going to be in for a tough matchup. It's tough right now."

As for who will get the nod between the pipes, Vigneault said he had made a decision on his starting goaltender, but he wouldn't reveal if it was Cory Schneider or Roberto Luongo.

"We haven't been told yet," Luongo said. "We're both getting ready as if we're playing and I'm sure at some point tonight or tomorrow morning we'll find out."

Vigneault went with Schneider in Game 3 in order to change the momentum -- even though Luongo's play seemed to be the least of Vancouver's issues.

Asked if he understood the decision, Luongo said, "Yeah."

Lastly, an article on the rookies in Flyers!

-- Rookies have been part of the solution for the Philadelphia Flyers since the start of training camp.

It's why they're not a problem now.

Philadelphia has used at least five rookies in all three games of the series against Pittsburgh (six rookies played in Game 1), and some of them deserve credit for being major factors in why the Flyers are up 3-0 in the series heading into Game 4 Wednesday at Wells Fargo Center (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN).

"When you're getting put in key situations throughout the season, toward the end of the year you don't have to feel so tense when you step out there," Brayden Schenn said. "Everyone feels comfortable and we're just trying to do our jobs, make the most of it."

Schenn has five points, including the game-tying goal and two assists in Game 1, when the Flyers had to claw back from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3 in overtime.

Sean Couturier had a hat trick plus an assist in Philadelphia's 8-5 win in Game 2, but he's getting more attention for the work he's done in shutting down Art Ross Trophy winner Evgeni Malkin, who has no goals and one even-strength point in the series.

Matt Read scored twice in Game 3 to help the Flyers win 8-4.

And although he doesn't have a point yet, Eric Wellwood saw his minutes rise to over 16 in Game 3 because of the confidence coach Peter Laviolette has in him.

"He has a lot of confidence in all of us and he throws us in every situation," Wellwood told NHL.com. "He mentioned before the playoffs that he was going to play us like he played us during the regular season, and that's what he has been doing. You gain confidence from your coach when he's playing you, and [when] your teammates are encouraging and have trust in you, as well."

These Flyers rookies, including Zac Rinaldo and the injured Marc-Andre Bourdon (upper body), are oozing with confidence for good reason.

They've watched the Penguins unravel in part because of how well the rookies have performed and how composed they've remained in the intense chamber of emotions of this rivalry series.

"I thought it would be maybe a step below what it is right now, but maybe it's just a rival, the playoffs, playing the Penguins, in-state," Read told NHL.com. "This is great hockey and I love to play it."

Couturier has thrown Malkin off his game, so much so that the Penguins superstar center has tried on more than one occasion to throw punches at the 19-year-old rookie.

"If he's punching me back I must be doing something good," Couturier said. "I just try to focus on what I have to do. If I can get him to go to the box, good."

Schenn has gotten under the skin of Sidney Crosby. He's also used his size (6-foot-1, 190 pounds) to play an imposing physical game.

Paul Martin took the brunt of it in the first period Sunday when Schenn hit him hard and received a charging minor for it. Schenn also was on the receiving end of a high cross-check and a subsequent punch to the back of the head from the Pens' Arron Asham.

"The players grow into their roles and you find out where else you can utilize them in their team concept and your identity," Laviolette said. "I talked with Brayden [on Tuesday], and I think he's doing a terrific job of using his speed, his skill and his physical presence."

Read has been using his offensive instincts to create space for scoring chances. Veteran Jaromir Jagr found him on the power play in the second period by threading a pretty circle-to-circle pass. Read, who was set up in the left circle, blasted a one-timer past Marc-Andre Fleury to put the Flyers up 5-3.

It was Read's second goal of the game.

"It's confidence," Read said. "Everyone, all of our young guys, our rookies have been given roles throughout the year. The coaching staff puts you on the ice in certain situations, and you learn how to play in those situations and how to deal with those situations and how to succeed. Every rookie has been given a role and it's great to see everyone succeeding and doing well. Having confidence out there helps so much, and it stems from the regular season. It's just continued here in the playoffs."

Laviolette credited general manager Paul Holmgren and his scouts for finding these players and bringing them into the organization. He then credited the players for running with the opportunity right from the beginning.

His confidence in them is a result of the growth they've shown throughout the season.

All that's growing now is that confidence.

"Back then they were truly rookies," Laviolette said, referring to the early part of the regular season. "They were getting their first tastes of practices, NHL rinks, systems, coaches, the travel, the grind of the NHL. From there I think they've grown. Sometimes you can look at it and say, 'Well, they can wear down at the end (of the season).' In this circumstance it seems like they've grown into the players that they are, which is really necessary for our success."

Hope this made for a pleasant read

Haha' date=' I guess I'll be fine with the Devils winning. But I wouldn't mind the Kings either!;)

[b']And my Preds... Another year goes by...:([/b]

Least you were in the bloody Playoffs ... go leafs go -.-