Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Do you guys think you can catch Arsenal if they invest?

I know its a hard question to answer' date=' but lets say they bring in two positions they need and who are improvements on their first team.[/quote']

We can catch them

They may will bring someone but i'm sure it won't be their priority / won't improve their first team. IMO they need a new GK,DM and CF, and i'm pretty sure Arsenal won't get anything better than they already have at those position at this stage of transfer window.

With both squads as it stands' date=' can you catch them?

I think your some what under estimating Arsenal a little.[/quote']

The depth and the injury will turn out to be key to be fair,and Arsenal is really in danger in terms of depth for me right now. They sell Arshavin,Gervinho. Now AOC injury,they have little alternative. When all of their players fit,they have better alternatives than us on bench but it's the whole different situation right now.

I think you are underestimating our squad too. Henderson is better squad player than Ramsey for example. We now have both Enrique and Cissokho competing for LB spot, Arsenal have not fully fit Monreal there. We still have Suarez who's better than Giroud. Mignolet is better than Chesney. With their depth problem,Jenkinson play RB, so we have Johnson who's better too. We have a proper DM in Lucas,something that Arsenal have been crying for.

Arsenal always make into top 4 when they are 'underestimated' but it'll be the year they'll not make it with stubborn Wenger in charge

The depth and the injury will turn out to be key to be fair' date='and Arsenal is really in danger in terms of depth for me right now. They sell Arshavin,Gervinho. Now AOC injury,they have little alternative. When all of their players fit,they have better alternatives than us on bench but it's the whole different situation right now.

I think you are underestimating our squad too. [b']Henderson is better squad player than Ramsey[/b] for example. We now have both Enrique and Cissokho competing for LB spot, Arsenal have not fully fit Monreal there. We still have Suarez who's better than Giroud. Mignolet is better than Chesney. With their depth problem,Jenkinson play RB, so we have Johnson who's better too. We have a proper DM in Lucas,something that Arsenal have been crying for.

Arsenal always make into top 4 when they are 'underestimated' but it'll be the year they'll not make it with stubborn Wenger in charge

First one's debatable as they're both dreadful footballers. Second one, you're forgetting Gibbs and Monreal is back to fitness. Both of them are quality so i think we nick that one. This is really redundant at the moment as there WILL be players arriving at Arsenal; all hinges on the quality.

First one's debatable as they're both dreadful footballers. Second one' date=' you're forgetting Gibbs and Monreal is back to fitness. Both of them are quality so i think we nick that one. This is really redundant at the moment as there WILL be players arriving at Arsenal; all hinges on the quality.[/quote']

Both Henderson and Ramsey are decent player,but i much rather pick Henderson at the moment. He has improved so much during last season and he bring energy and muscle when it needed. Your LB is good enough if Gibbs and Monreal are fully fit,so i can see your point

With both squads as it stands' date=' can you catch them?

I think your some what under estimating Arsenal a little.[/quote']

The bolded bit being the key, I think we can catch them.

Mignolet - Szczesny

Johnson - Sagna

Toure - Koscielny

Agger - Verm/Per

Cissokho - Gibbs

Lucas - Arteta

Gerrard - Wilshere

Coutinho - Cazorla

Henderson - Podolski

Suarez - Walcott

Sturridge - Giroud

Enrique, Skrtel, Kelly, Wisdom - Jenkinson, Monreal, Verm/Per

Allen - Ramsey, Rosicky,

Aspas, Sterling, Borini, Ibe, Luis Alberto - Ox, Sanogo, Park, Bendtner

There's not much between the two squads. What we have going our way is that we're the complete opposite to Arsenal fitness/injury wise. We didn't have a whole lot of injuries last season and especially Gerrard & Agger are good examples of how good our medical team is.

Looking forward to watching how Arsenal do tonight. I wouldn't mind Kuyt scoring a hat-trick;)

Such a defeatist attitude on this thread sad to see.

yes realistically it looks like we have the 6th ish best side in the League but this is a long term project and Rome was not built in a day.

We are starting again from a position where the club almost went Bankrupt this was then compounded by massive mistakes in the transfer asker under the previous regime aligned with what was already a fairly sub-standard squad.

We have had to make allowances for the mistakes of the past, slash the wage bill enormously and this coupled with continued absence from Europe simply means that when Rodgers came in we had to operate differently and cut our cloth accordingly.

We do not have a rich oil baron or supported by Russian blood money we have to operate in a more sensible fashion and this Rodgers project was always going to be a case of evolution not revolution.

Slowly but surely he has weeded out the majority of the rubbish from the squad, replaced them with better players at sensible prices, whilst nurturing and developing a lot of our own youth talent to supplement the squad. We are going to get better but it is going to be gradual and we have to appreciate that and allow it t develop.

We play some of the best football in the League IMO, we have added decent quality in his time here and are developing a style which will enable us to progress.

Maybe we ain't good enough for Champions League but that has to be the aim and if we put it together it can be done, yes would probably have to play above ourselves but can't be as defeatist as most of you seem to be. Realistically 6th but even that would probably get us back into Europe and that gives us another bow to any new players.

Evolution not revolution, the PL is harder than ever to break into the very top echelons and no other European League has the strength that the PL has and weave to recognise the difficulties but not succumb to them, you have to believe in the project and give it time or else we will all just go round in circles.

Independent say we're close to Will Hughes for £10M and that we'd leave him at Derby for the remaining season. He's a big Liverpool fan (often tweeting about us) and would probably turn down all other English clubs for us, so if we want him I'm sure we can get him. The problem is though, that our squad is not good enough to be spending that kind of money on a kid who we won't be using for a year, unless we have a couple of other deals lined up.

We rejected a bid for Skrtel last (from Napoli), probably in the hope of getting a few more millions. If we sold Skrtel for 12M and bought Ilori for 6M, then I suppose we could afford to buy Hughes + another CB & attacking player. But in the most unsurprising turn of events, Spurs are in for Ilori too so he might not be so easily acquired.

It's the same in a lot of places from Liverpool fans, this forum is fairly mild compared to some!

Agree with that post, but still think we need two more players this window, if one of them is Hughes fair enough, but we need another DM, attacking player, and if we sell Skrtel another defender.

The amount of extra money coming into the club from TV rights should mean spending a bit isn't a problem, and the players are out there.

SSN reporting that Willian is currently considering his options and ask whether he could be going to another Premier League club. Stop it :o

I'm not defeatist, just realistic. Something would have to go wrong with Spurs and Arsenal for us to sneak into top 4 while we'd have to hope we get a bit of luck and Aspas is as good as Coutinho and Sturridge. As a Liverpool fan I hope we get top 4 but realistically there is no reason we should at this moment in time.

In regards to Hughes, I like him and saw him in the flesh for u21s last week. I'd like us to get him but if we're going to bid more than 6mil then I dont see the point in wasting so much money on more potential

SSN reporting that Willian is currently considering his options and ask whether he could be going to another Premier League club. Stop it :o

I'm not defeatist' date=' just realistic. Something would have to go wrong with Spurs and Arsenal[b'] for us to sneak into top 4 while we'd have to hope we get a bit of luck and Aspas is as good as Coutinho and Sturridge.[/b] As a Liverpool fan I hope we get top 4 but realistically there is no reason we should at this moment in time.

In regards to Hughes, I like him and saw him in the flesh for u21s last week. I'd like us to get him but if we're going to bid more than 6mil then I dont see the point in wasting so much money on more potential

So you believe the club won't sign any attacking players this window? For me Aspas needs to be a decent upgrade on Downing and we still need a quality AM/Winger/Forward and a CB.

At the moment it looks like the biggest possible set-back for us could be Real Madrid coming in for Suarez who apparently might sell Benzema and replace him with LS.

Both Henderson and Ramsey are decent player' date='but i much rather pick Henderson at the moment. He has improved so much during last season and he bring energy and muscle when it needed. Your LB is good enough if Gibbs and Monreal are fully fit,so i can see your point[/quote']

As much as you think Henderson has improved, Ramsey did too. And with the current progress, I can see Ramsey being way better than Henderson. Actually Ramsey is indeed better than Henderson.

As much as you think Henderson has improved' date=' Ramsey did too. And with the current progress, I can see Ramsey being way better than Henderson. Actually Ramsey is indeed better than Henderson.[/quote']

I think Henderson is better at the moment. But I'm biased.

So you believe the club won't sign any attacking players this window? For me Aspas needs to be a decent upgrade on Downing and we still need a quality AM/Winger/Forward and a CB.

At the moment it looks like the biggest possible set-back for us could be Real Madrid coming in for Suarez who apparently might sell Benzema and replace him with LS.

I'm sure we'll try, like we have all Summer. But I cant see us signing anyone that'll necessarily diminish the gap between us and our rivals. We had the chance when we went for Willian and Mkhitaryan but obviously those deals didnt work out. We'd have to hope that any players we do sign surpass expectations and become great players at the club a la Coutinho and Sturridge. Therefore, we've got to hope we get a lucky break

Edit: Someone like Ljajic I could see us getting or is he too good now?

yes realistically it looks like we have the 6th ish best side in the League but this is a long term project and Rome was not built in a day.

We are starting again from a position where the club almost went Bankrupt this was then compounded by massive mistakes in the transfer asker under the previous regime aligned with what was already a fairly sub-standard squad.

We have had to make allowances for the mistakes of the past' date=' slash the wage bill enormously and this coupled with continued absence from Europe simply means that when Rodgers came in we had to operate differently and cut our cloth accordingly.

We do not have a rich oil baron or supported by Russian blood money we have to operate in a more sensible fashion and this Rodgers project was always going to be a case of evolution not revolution.

Slowly but surely he has weeded out the majority of the rubbish from the squad, replaced them with better players at sensible prices, whilst nurturing and developing a lot of our own youth talent to supplement the squad. We are going to get better but it is going to be gradual and we have to appreciate that and allow it t develop.

We play some of the best football in the League IMO, we have added decent quality in his time here and are developing a style which will enable us to progress.

Maybe we ain't good enough for Champions League but that has to be the aim and if we put it together it can be done, yes would probably have to play above ourselves but can't be as defeatist as most of you seem to be. Realistically 6th but even that would probably get us back into Europe and that gives us another bow to any new players.

Evolution not revolution, the PL is harder than ever to break into the very top echelons and no other European League has the strength that the PL has and weave to recognise the difficulties but not succumb to them, you have to believe in the project and give it time or else we will all just go round in circles.[/quote']

Would you not agree that qualifying for the Europa league could be a hindrance rather than a help to Rodgers evolution?

Would you not agree that qualifying for the Europa league could be a hindrance rather than a help to Rodgers evolution?

I completely agree with this, think I'm about the only 1 who's glad were not in it this year. Gives us the chance to fully focus on the league and I think we'll benefit from it.

I completely agree with this' date=' think I'm about the only 1 who's glad were not in it this year. Gives us the chance to fully focus on the league and I think we'll benefit from it.[/quote']

Yeah I agree. I look at Spurs and think they would have been competing in the CL for the past 3 years had it not been for the Europa league.

I completely agree with this' date=' think I'm about the only 1 who's glad were not in it this year. Gives us the chance to fully focus on the league and I think we'll benefit from it.[/quote']

Why? If you win the Europa League you now get a place in the Champions League. I'd say we'd have more chance of that then finishing top 4.

I don't think so. Liverpool have a fairly deep squad, or at least several promising youngsters on the outskirts of the first team like Coates, Kelly, Flanagan, Wisdom, Sterling, Ibe, Alberto, Pacheco, Yesil, Robinson and Suso. They could have got some valuable, meaningful game time had Liverpool qualified for the Europa League.

I don't think so. Liverpool have a fairly deep squad' date=' or at least several promising youngsters on the outskirts of the first team like Coates, Kelly, Flanagan, Wisdom, Sterling, Ibe, Alberto, Pacheco, Yesil, Robinson and Suso. They could have got some valuable, meaningful game time had Liverpool qualified for the Europa League.[/quote']

But what happen's if they are pushing for the top 4 in Feb, but are also in the last 16 of the E'L? Do they play their strongest team in the E'L to try and win it to qualify for the CL or do they continue keeping their strongest team for the league in what may or may not be a fruitful pursuit of 4th place?

I think most would accept that LFC do not have great strength in depth to commit strong teams to both competitions, so Rodgers 'could' end up losing out in both which would dramatically slow down the progression of his 'plan'.

But what happen's if they are pushing for the top 4 in Feb' date=' but are also in the last 16 of the E'L? Do they play their strongest team in the E'L to try and win it to qualify for the CL or do they continue keeping their strongest team for the league in what may or may not be a fruitful pursuit of 4th place?

I think most would accept that LFC do not have great strength in depth to commit strong teams to both competitions, so Rodgers 'could' end up losing out in both which would dramatically slow down the progression of his 'plan'.[/quote']

They make a choice and go with it. Disregarding the possibility of CL qualification for a moment, getting to the last 16 of the EL would be a great achievement and top experience for Liverpool's younger and fringe players. I think that having that choice about which tournament to concentrate on is a better position to be in than having to go with the league option. That might be the choice they pick but as others have said, winning the EL might be easier.