Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

He's got so much potential as well' date=' terrible when youngsters think they've made it and start to goof off.[/quote']

Wouldnt read too much into this to be honest. He's back training I think but he isnt ready to play for the u21s yet after his bad injury. I'm worried about how this injury will affect him, he already seemed miles of the first team.

I'd like to see this team vs Notts County:

-------------Mignolet------------

Wisdom---Toure----Skrtel-----Cissoko

--------Henderson----Allen----------

Aspas--------Alberto-------Sterling

-----------Sturridge---------------

I think Sturridge needs as much game time as possible to get him fully match fit. Also, I hope we dont play too many kids as a loss will disrupt the good momentum.

Wouldnt read too much into this to be honest. He's back training I think but he isnt ready to play for the u21s yet after his bad injury.

-----------Sturridge---------------

I think Sturridge needs as much game time as possible to get him fully match fit. Also' date=' I hope we dont play too many kids as a loss will disrupt the good momentum.

[/left']

Wouldn't want to risk an injury to Sturridge, Toure or Mignolet right before the Manchester match we need our best players. Our second string should take care of Notts County at Anfield, we just can't risk overplaying or injuries.

Wouldn't want to risk an injury to Sturridge' date=' Toure or Mignolet right before the Manchester match we need our best players. [b']Our second string should take care of Notts County[/b] at Anfield, we just can't risk overplaying or injuries.

I've heard many comments like this over the years :rolleyes::o

Wouldn't want to risk an injury to Sturridge' date=' Toure or Mignolet right before the Manchester match we need our best players. Our second string should take care of Notts County at Anfield, we just can't risk overplaying or injuries.[/quote']

No need to start our best players against Notts, maybe bring on Sturridge in the last 20mins for a run but thats about it..Wouldnt mind seeing Suso getting a run as well.

I see it being:

Jones, Wisdom, Kelly, Skrtel, Flanagan, Alberto, Assaidi, Ibe, Borini, Allen, Pacheco.

Similar to the first pre-season game against Preston (obviously Spearing has since left, hence Kelly is in from the start.

Notts County have only won one game so far this season. Showumni is probably their biggest threat, as he's strong but athletic too, sort of a poor mans Benteke but much older. Watch out for Jamal Campbell-Ryce, he breaks legs.

I see it being:

Jones' date=' Wisdom, Kelly, Skrtel, Flanagan, Alberto, Assaidi, Ibe, Borini, Allen, Pacheco.

Similar to the first pre-season game against Preston (obviously Spearing has since left, hence Kelly is in from the start.

Notts County have only won one game so far this season. Showumni is probably their biggest threat, as he's strong but athletic too, sort of a poor mans Benteke but much older. Watch out for Jamal Campbell-Ryce, he breaks legs.[/quote']

Surely Sterling gets a start?

Wouldnt read too much into this to be honest. He's back training I think but he isnt ready to play for the u21s yet after his bad injury. I'm worried about how this injury will affect him' date=' he already seemed miles of the first team.

[center']

-----------Sturridge--------------

I think Sturridge needs as much game time as possible to get him fully match fit. Also, I hope we dont play too many kids as a loss will disrupt the good momentum.

[/center]

Unreal.why would Rodgers name a strong team?

Unreal.why would Rodgers name a strong team?

Why is it unreal? :rolleyes:

There are Many reasons. To keep the winning momentum going would be the most obvious reason. Many times we have chosen to play second string sides and gone on to get embarrassed. We can't afford that as weve finally had a good start to the season. I wouldn't expect a full strength but I'd like a strong line up with only Gerrard and agger missing. Then we could sub off our more important players once the game is in the bag.

Why is it unreal? :rolleyes:

There are Many reasons. To keep the winning momentum going would be the most obvious reason. Many times we have chosen to play second string sides and gone on to get embarrassed. We can't afford that as weve finally had a good start to the season. I wouldn't expect a full strength but I'd like a strong line up with only Gerrard and agger missing. Then we could sub off our more important players once the game is in the bag.[/quote

We will see,wouldn't have thought the cup is too high on the list of prorities

ies

I feel Liverpool fans should be thankful to Rodgers, he brings stability and fans should reciprocate with patience. The current Liverpool team is so much more reliable than the last 3 seasons, quality is debatable but teamwork and grinding results is more important. Winning is very important, we have seen how previous giants can fall behind Chelsea and City who are raking in both revenue and reputation.

I feel Liverpool fans should be thankful to Rodgers' date=' he brings stability and fans should reciprocate with patience. The current Liverpool team is so much more reliable than the last 3 seasons, quality is debatable but teamwork and grinding results is more important. Winning is very important, we have seen how previous giants can fall behind Chelsea and City who are raking in both revenue and reputation.[/quote']

I agree. And I think Liverpool are on the right track. As this piece on The Bleacher Report says. I won't do all 20.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1746831-20-reasons-to-believe-liverpool-are-on-the-right-track

Keeping hold of the controversial yet word-class Uruguayan striker was the best piece of transfer business done by the club all summer. Liverpool now stand a chance of competing for a place in the top four of the Premier League this season, and with it comes the possibility of once again competing in the UEFA Champions League after a four-year absence from Europe’s premier club competition.

Playmaker Philippe Coutinho has been an absolute joy to watch since joining the club from Inter Milan for just £8.5 million at the turn of the year. He racked up three goals and seven assists in just 13 Premier League matches for the Reds in the second half of last season, giving everyone reason to believe Liverpool are now finally on the right track again.

It is vital to have strong, supportive owners for a club to be successful, which is exactly what the Merseysiders now have in the form of the Fenway Sports Group (FSG).

And the Americans have provided one or two of Liverpool’s rivals with an ideal blueprint on exactly how to handle want-away star players, with principal owner John Henry’s recent unequivocal message regarding Luis Suarez’s future at the club.

"He won't be sold even if a foreign club comes in because we do not have time to sign a suitable replacement," said Henry on the matter earlier this month.

"It's not about finances. So late in the window ... we can't replace him. So for football reasons we can't sell, and especially to Arsenal."

Liverpool’s future now appears in safe hands under FSG.

The Reds must be doing something right if defender Daniel Agger is happy to turn down the opportunity of moving to Spanish champions Barcelona, as the Dane recently did with these encouraging words: "Barcelona are obviously a big club, but I have never thought about leaving Liverpool.”

Following the audacious head-hunting last summer of Manchester City’s Dave Fallows—now club’s head of scouting—the Reds have already been far more successful in their transfer dealings. This is in marked contrast to the disastrous reign of Damien Comolli.

And with the importance of a top-level scouting network now greater than ever to a team’s ability to be successful on the field of play, this off-pitch recruitment bodes well for the future health of Liverpool.

Liverpool collected a hugely impressive (I would not say hugely impressive, but a pretty good take) 36 points from their 19 Premier League games in the second half of last season, after Rodgers had brought in the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge in the January transfer window.

And, if the Reds were to match that points-per-game ratio across a whole campaign this season, then a 38-match total of 72 points would almost certainly guarantee Rodgers’ side a place in the top four of the Premier League come next May.

Great result yesterday if not a great performance, but good sides find a way to win when not playing well and that is what we done, much rather that than a free-flowing defeat.

Was a strange game as we were in complete domination first half without really creating that much and I just felt like it almost got to easy for the lads and they lost intensity and focus which allowed Villa to gain control in the second half.

Having said all that again was strange as I never really felt like Villa were going to score we had control in the extent that they never really were able to create anything and there only real goalscoring opportunities came from mistakes. Really weird as I am usually a nervous wreck during the matches but I felt strangely comfortable. I thought we would win yesterday (we nearly always do at Villa)

Sturridge goal was superb footwork, great goal all round good ball by Enrique, class dummy from Coutinho and the quick feet of Sturridge was magic.

Bit worrying in the second half at not being able to retain possession and I do worry about Aspas especially away from home, not involved at all and given he had that "number 10" role he should really be getting more involved.

Toure was terrific again and kept Tekkers in relative check, Stevie for me was also immense but for different reasons than his usual routine, terrific in front of the back four, plugged gaps, numerous tackles and marshalled the side superbly.

Cant remember the last time we won our opening two matches and makes a nice change from our usual slow starts, all set up for United and hopefully go into that annoying International break at least still unbeaten and hopefully with a quality addition or two to the squad.

As for Notts County NO WAY would I start Sturridge, with Suarez out we need to keep him fit for the PL games at all costs and lets face it whatever team we play SHOULD be good enough to do the job.

I think the team will look like this:

Jones

Cissokho

Kelly

Skrtel

Wisdom

Allen

Henderson

Alberto

Sterling

Aspas

Borini

Have a couple of the big hitters on the bench just in case....

Some of you lot know your stuff so i'm looking for some feedback on these.

Tactics and especially formations can be different in everyone's head, and it's difficult to nail down formations as there are different set ups for defence and attack.

Average positions during a game can be useful, but I don't really like them for the purpose of fully explaining tactics.

I go on sites such as Zonal Marking, or see the stuff in the paper and often think - well that bit isn't right. I want you lot to do the same with this!

Aston Villa 0, Liverpool 1

Aston-Villa-A-25-08-13.jpg

I probably need a few more movement arrows here and there, but what do you think in general? There's a bit of an explanation of it if you click the image, cheers.

Thought suarez ban was just league games? In which case he's a dead cert to face notts county.

As far as I'm aware his ban would apply for all domestic football so he'd miss cup games to, good thing really cus it basically just knocks a game off his ban.

Liverpool have made an approach to sign Victor Moses on loan from Chelsea #LFC

Not sure if there's anything in this but I think it would be a great addition. Similar to Sturridge in terms of wanting to prove himself and explosive pace and energy.

Victor Moses on loan would incredibly underwhelming, he wouldn't even get to our starting XI imo. I would really like to know why we seem to have decided against the likes of Ljajic, Konoplyanka & Griezmann.

Thought suarez ban was just league games? In which case he's a dead cert to face notts county.

The ban applies to all domestic games.

Exactly we have 30m to spend so if Moses comes in on loan with an option to buy you'd assume there will be another 1 or 2 more to follow and it's low risk. I'd take him as a squad player in a heartbeat but I highly doubt he'd be our marquee.

If we we take Moses on loan, I feel it would mean we've given up on other attacking targets. And if we're looking to get Moses on loan + 20M+ attacking player, where does that leave Sterling, Luis Alberto and Ibe? We really don't need anymore depth in the attacking midfield positions, just one more quality player.