Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Going to have to disagree with that completely. Lucas is as good as any DM we could get our hands on at present. He needs competition yes' date=' but we don't need to replace him. Gerrard plays just fine when he is given more freedom to roam (as he has been used to for years). There's no reason Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson can't work as a midfield. Currently I'd be looking to drop either Coutinho or Sterling.[/quote']

Our best performance of the season when we beat Tottenham 5-0 came when Lucas started without Gerrard. Our worst performances have come when either the two were paired together or Gerrard was left to run the central midfield on his own. Gerrards lack of mobility is a hindrance to the team at the minute whether we love him or not.

Suggested Dede because he's quick, tough, and he's also regarded as a ball playing central defender.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Going to have to disagree with that completely. Lucas is as good as any DM we could get our hands on at present. He needs competition yes' date=' but we don't need to replace him. Gerrard plays just fine when he is given more freedom to roam (as he has been used to for years). There's no reason Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson can't work as a midfield. Currently I'd be looking to drop either Coutinho or Sterling.[/quote']

Don't think Lucas has been great this season. He needs to up his game or we need better. And we could get better. He's been caught out of position a lot this season. I don't think Gerard is anywhere near as good as he was a few years back. Our midfield is way better with a 1-2 with Allen hendo ahead of Lucas. We can't press if Gerrard plays ahead and he isn't good enough to be a DM. I'd be looking to get another DM in January and play him behind Allen and hendo

Probably going to have to plan to play without Lucas for a while anyway, left the stadium on crutches and looks like it could be a six-eight week job if early indications are to be believed.

Whether this may be the catalyst for something in the market I don't know but time will tell.

Either way you can't play Gerrard as the DM in a 4-4-2 with the type of wingers we started with yesterday.

Against Everton I feel we have to play with three in the middle, I have no problem with Gerrard in that role as part of a three man midfield. The fact was Villa swamped the midfield and it was tough for Stevie and Hendo always outnumbered.

No matter how good you are the numbers game will always win through, this space was also exposed even further as the CB'S kept being dragged out to areas they don't want to be as Johnson and Cissokho in particuarly were out of position time and time again thus opening p even more space in the centre.

Pretty sure we will see Gerrard- Allen- Hendo as our midfield against Everton and that will mean that one of Sturridge, Sterling or Coutinho will have to be sacrificed.

Either way you can't play Gerrard as the DM in a 4-4-2 with the type of wingers we started with yesterday.

True. Which raises the question do you change the shape or the personnel? In my opinion we shouldn't set our team around Gerrard, but around Suarez and Sturridge. Which means that if we have to play a formation where there isn't the right kind of role for Gerrard to play, he shouldn't play (or start at least).

Re M'vila - At first I didn't really believe that we're interested in him, because all the rumours started when he was spotted at Anfield when he came to visit Sakho. But now it seems like we're actually interested in him and I'd love to have him here even though I have no idea if he's any good.

True. Which raises the question do you change the shape or the personnel? In my opinion we shouldn't set our team around Gerrard' date=' but around Suarez and Sturridge. Which means that if we have to play a formation where there isn't the right kind of role for Gerrard to play, he shouldn't play (or start at least).

Re M'vila - At first I didn't really believe that we're interested in him, because all the rumours started when he was spotted at Anfield when he came to visit Sakho. But now it seems like we're actually interested in him and I'd love to have him here even though I have no idea if he's any good.[/quote']

He definitely has the talent, it's whether he can control his attitude, which he has been quite good at doing recently.

True. Which raises the question do you change the shape or the personnel? In my opinion we shouldn't set our team around Gerrard' date=' but around Suarez and Sturridge. Which means that if we have to play a formation where there isn't the right kind of role for Gerrard to play, he shouldn't play (or start at least).

Re M'vila - At first I didn't really believe that we're interested in him, because all the rumours started when he was spotted at Anfield when he came to visit Sakho. But now it seems like we're actually interested in him and I'd love to have him here even though I have no idea if he's any good.[/quote']

Think you make a great point. We need to get the best out of Sturridge and Suarez. We should be building our team around them as our two best players.

4-4-2 can only be played as said earlier if we have a Hendo figure in the wide area on one side and Gerrard ain't played as the DM.

The problem with that formation is it goes completely against everything Rodgers wants which is monopoly of the ball, numbers in the middle. he quoted if you have more possession then you are 71% more likely to win a football match and that is basically what Rodgers is all about.

I think our personnel is more suited to a 4-3-3 but then Sturridge is such a good player you have to find room for him, but then when we have used 3-5-2 as well we have been exposed against sides which might have seemed like the logical solution and that relies a lot on your full back's and ours frankly have been woeful lately.

With Lucas injury we ain't got to many options centrally so it is a problem right now as we don't have the depth and the players we do have frankly it seems that for the likes of Moses, Apas, Alberto etc Brendon ain't got any faith in them.

For Brendon to sort out :P

4-4-2 can only be played as said earlier if we have a Hendo figure in the wide area on one side and Gerrard ain't played as the DM.

The problem with that formation is it goes completely against everything Rodgers wants which is monopoly of the ball' date=' numbers in the middle. he quoted if you have more possession then you are 71% more likely to win a football match and that is basically what Rodgers is all about.[/b']

I think our personnel is more suited to a 4-3-3 but then Sturridge is such a good player you have to find room for him, but then when we have used 3-5-2 as well we have been exposed against sides which might have seemed like the logical solution and that relies a lot on your full back's and ours frankly have been woeful lately.

With Lucas injury we ain't got to many options centrally so it is a problem right now as we don't have the depth and the players we do have frankly it seems that for the likes of Moses, Apas, Alberto etc Brendon ain't got any faith in them.

For Brendon to sort out :P

I'm not sure if Rodgers wants to achieve that right now. The way I see it, he'll give it a few more transfer windows to get players who are better suited for that style of play, and then he'll properly get going with the death by football thing. Right now we're playing a more direct style and I'm sure BR is pleased with the results we've gotten with it.

Anybody still think we can get Top 4 without any signings? Yesterday was proof that without sufficient back-up we'll get left behind.

It's hard. I feel even we at Chelsea are at a rough spot and our squad is already pretty deep.

Two first team-level signings would go a long way for you.

It's hard. I feel even we at Chelsea are at a rough spot and our squad is already pretty deep.

Two first team-level signings would go a long way for you.

Try having a bench with Moses and Aspas on as your impact subs then you can feel bad :o:p

Desperate now for a defensive midfielder, Gerrard was atrocious in that position both times he's been there and Lucas is now injured, whether it's M'Vila or Fernando just any natural defensive midfielder will do.

I've stuck by Cissokho in hope he'd re-find that Porto form but he's absolutely dreadful to the point I can't believe he's a footballer, still no sign of Enrique or Flanagan we really need someone young with potential to come straight in to that spot.

We need a right-back or Rodgers should just play Kelly because Johnson has been an insult to the jersey for most of the season, he's just not the same player he used to be.

Out of everything we desperately need a DM and a LB to see us through the season, anything extra is gravy. Might be a blessing in disguise that Henry saw that performance first hand yesterday.

Anybody still think we can get Top 4 without any signings? Yesterday was proof that without sufficient back-up we'll get left behind.

Signings would help of course but they wont be the reason we wont get top 4.

What will cost us the top 4 position is games like yesterday, or the 1 away to Hull were the players for the most part just don't turn up and don't use the energy levels they would if they was say playing against City, Chelsea, Utd etc.

The players should be coming out with a MUST win attitude every single match, they are in such a good position there is no point in blowing it by thinking they can take there foot of the gas in certain games.

The formation and tactics didn't help either, but new signings wouldn't have changed that imo.

At the end of the day we do have LB's, its ok having another one whos good enough to get straight into the 1st team, but then what happens when our others come back? there can't be that much competition for places people just wouldnt be happy

Signings would help of course but they wont be the reason we wont get top 4.

What will cost us the top 4 position is games like yesterday' date=' or the 1 away to Hull were the players for the most part just don't turn up and don't use the energy levels they would if they was say playing against City, Chelsea, Utd etc.

The players should be coming out with a MUST win attitude every single match, they are in such a good position there is no point in blowing it by thinking they can take there foot of the gas in certain games.

The formation and tactics didn't help either, but new signings wouldn't have changed that imo.

At the end of the day we do have LB's, its ok having another one whos good enough to get straight into the 1st team, but then what happens when our others come back? there can't be that much competition for places people just wouldnt be happy[/quote']

Don't really agree with the last two paragraphs. If we had a new DM then Gerrard wouldn't have had to play there. That would have changed the game IMO, we'd have been less open and had more control and won the game.

And with regards to the LB position I think we DEFINITELY need another one. Don't think Enrique was ever that good anyway, just an alright player, his profile seems to have increased because of how bad cissoko is. And then Flanagan has done alright but he's a RB and realistically should be no more than a squad player. A quality LB is needed regardless of injuries IMO

I hope we don't go for Salah instead of a DM or LB, I'd feel very frustrated

Don't really agree with the last two paragraphs. If we had a new DM then Gerrard wouldn't have had to play there. That would have changed the game IMO' date=' we'd have been less open and had more control and won the game.[/quote']

I disagree, do you think Lucas was dropped by Rodgers yesterday because he isn't good enough?

We had a fully fit DM ready to play and yet Rodgers left him out (and not Gerrard) to put Sturridge back in.

The idea Rodgers had just didn't work, had nothing to do with lack of dept or us not having a DM.

And with regards to the LB position I think we DEFINITELY need another one. Don't think Enrique was ever that good anyway' date=' just an alright player, his profile seems to have increased because of how bad cissoko is. And then Flanagan has done alright but he's a RB and realistically should be no more than a squad player. A quality LB is needed regardless of injuries IMO

[/quote']

Really? I rate Enrique very highly, I think we have missed him loads this season, great player imo.

I disagree' date=' do you think Lucas was dropped by Rodgers yesterday because he isn't good enough?

We had a fully fit DM ready to play and yet Rodgers left him out (and not Gerrard) to put Sturridge back in.

The idea Rodgers had just didn't work, had nothing to do with lack of dept or us not having a DM.

I[b'] think if Lucas was at his best then he wouldn't be trying to play Gerard deeper tbh and would be playing Lucas there instead. I think Rodgers got the tactics all wrong.[/b]

Really? I rate Enrique very highly, I think we have missed him loads this season, great player imo.

I do rate Enrique I do but he can be quite inconsistent I feel and technically I don't think he's quite there. Ideally I'd love us to have 2 Johnson's playing full back positions (before he lost his form that is). I do think we've missed Enrique a lot but mainly cos of lack of alternatives

Seeing as Spurs are going to be your only competition for fourth, coupled with their extraordinary ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you should still quite comfortably finish 4th.

You should be looking at 3 new signing's not to make top 4, but to add the quality needed to reach the consistency of Chelsea/City.

Seeing as Spurs are going to be your only competition for fourth' date=' coupled with their extraordinary ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you should still quite comfortably finish 4th. [/b']

You should be looking at 3 new signing's not to make top 4, but to add the quality needed to reach the consistency of Chelsea/City.

You sure mate?

Seeing as Spurs are going to be your only competition for fourth' date=' coupled with their extraordinary ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you should still quite comfortably finish 4th.

You should be looking at 3 new signing's not to make top 4, but to add the quality needed to reach the consistency of Chelsea/City.[/quote']

We are more than 3 new signings away from Chelsea and City, we just don't have enough quality depth when you look at our bench compared to City and Chelsea it's laughable add to the fact the majority of their reserve players would get into our team.

Spurs will be a massive threat as they seem to be clicking hopefully they'll drop points and City and we can win the massive six pointer against Everton.

Everton will be challenging, pity their best players are loanees because they'll struggle with that next season. I just hope they tail off but it just doesn't look likely. They have great balance and seem to be such a difficult team to beat. The merseyside derby next week will be key, i'd hazard a guess that the winner will get 4th this season.

United may be challenging, just can't write them off, even with how terrible they've been.

We are more than 3 new signings away from Chelsea and City' date=' we just don't have enough quality depth when you look at our bench compared to City and Chelsea it's laughable add to the fact the majority of their reserve players would get into our team.

Spurs will be a massive threat as they seem to be clicking hopefully they'll drop points and City and we can win the massive six pointer against Everton.

[b']Everton will be challenging, pity their best players are loanees because they'll struggle with that next season. I just hope they tail off but it just doesn't look likely.[/b]

United may be challenging, just can't write them off, even with how terrible they've been.

Wasn't aware that Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Barkley and Mirallas were on loan .

As much as I admire what Everton are doing they do not have the squad depth or the ability of the aforementioned teams.

A couple of injuries etc and your climb will be halted. However on the bright side you should still finish above Utd ;-)

We have better squad depth than Liverpool and Suarez and maybe Sturridge the rest of their players are not better than Everton's. Also our team has got better, we have added McGeady who will be a better option out wide than Naismith and looks like we will be swapping Jelavic for Traore which also makes our team better.