Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Lukaku and Barry have arguably been bar Coleman your most influential match winners this season. I'd guess you wouldn't be where you are without them two in the team.

Maybe but Barry is out of contract in the summer so there is a very good chance of getting him and Lukaku has been pretty poor since the game against you lot and we will sign a decent striker in the summer to replace him anyway.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Lukaku and Barry have arguably been bar Coleman your most influential match winners this season. I'd guess you wouldn't be where you are without them two in the team.

Barry's been excellent but he's rarely a match winner.

Everton will have the remaining Fellaini money, additional TV money and potentially European money to invest in the summer. Wise to leave it a season in fact to allow Martinez to properly assess his players. Oviedo, for instance, has stepped up better than any would have predicted in Baines' absence.

Maybe but Barry is out of contract in the summer so there is a very good chance of getting him and Lukaku has been pretty poor since the game against you lot.

I think although Lukaku might not play well he's such a handful for defences and it allows others to cause more problems.

You probably have better depth than Liverpool in my opinion and the fact you've made signings means we deffinetly need to make some signings.

We are more than 3 new signings away from Chelsea and City' date=' we just don't have enough quality depth when you look at our bench compared to City and Chelsea it's laughable add to the fact the majority of their reserve players would get into our team.

[b']Individually even with 3 top players Chelsea and City will still have better squads. However Chelsea and City have had better squads than us over the past few years and we have finished above them both. As a team there is not much difference between the 3, but having a couple of extra players in key positions, whilst complimenting and keeping what you currently have there is no reason why you cannot be up there as joint favourites next year.

Remember it is the best 'team' that wins the league, not the best squad or the best players.[/b]

Spurs will be a massive threat as they seem to be clicking hopefully they'll drop points and City and we can win the massive six pointer against Everton.

Yes I agree, but you have a much more settled side than they do, coupled with the fact that they have 'Thursday night football' to come back to.

Everton will be challenging, pity their best players are loanees because they'll struggle with that next season. I just hope they tail off but it just doesn't look likely. They have great balance and seem to be such a difficult team to beat. The merseyside derby next week will be key, i'd hazard a guess that the winner will get 4th this season.

2 injuries and Everton will easily flounder off. Have nowhere near the squad depth compared to yourselves or Spurs, and also share your ability to throw away games against lesser opponents.

United may be challenging, just can't write them off, even with how terrible they've been.

Yes you can. Believe me you can.

Replies in bold.

Tiago Ilori has joined Granada on loan for the rest of the season. Could this men that Liverpool are close to a signing' date=' or just that Sakho and Agger are nearly back from injury?[/quote']

Probably the latter. Rodgers said that injuries to his CBs wouldnt stop him from loaning out Ilori and he has Kelly as last resort cover. I like Ilori. Hope he gets some gametime for Granada.

Wasn't aware that Coleman' date=' Baines, Jagielka, Barkley and Mirallas were on loan .

[b']We have better squad depth than Liverpool and Suarez and maybe Sturridge the rest of their players are not better than Everton's[/b]. Also our team has got better, we have added McGeady who will be a better option out wide than Naismith and looks like we will be swapping Jelavic for Traore which also makes our team better.

The only place we lack depth is upfront and we are solving that by getting Traore. Also you say that if we get one or two injuries we will struggle well this season already we have had Baines' date=' Deulofeu, Kone, Gibson, Distin and Jagielka out injured and we haven't done to bad.[/quote']

2 pretty outrageous claims there imo.

We've been without Sturridge, Suarez, Sakho, Allen, Gerrard, Agger, Enrique, Flanagan, Coutinho, Aspas & Coates this season and most of those players were out for more than 4 weeks at some point. We've been constantly forced to change our defence and that's definitely hurt us big time.

We don't have particularly great depth in our squad but I would argue that from the teams in the top 7 you have the thinnest squad.

I don't really get the argument that if you didn't have your 2 best players you'd be weaker. Of course, any team would be (United a prime example). So it's kind of pointless to say that team x would be as good as team y if they didn't have certain players.

I don't want to make any predictions because so many unexpected things can happen but imo we can make top 4 without January signings. But in that case we'd probably need a helping hand from other teams.

Been confirmed by Barrett that we're in for Salah this week for around 8mil. Hope he isn't considered a priority signing. A winger is probably what we need the least at the moment. DM' date=' LB, RB, RCB, all needed much more IMO[/quote']

Considering the old two up top hasn't exactly done a great deal for you fellas and the only out and out winger you'll have at the beginning of next season is Sterling it's not exactly like £8million is a lot considering Liverpool are bankrolled by a bunch of rich yanks and he's a solid looking player. And as cute as it is lets not pretend Coutinho isn't anything but a number ten you silly bears.

Considering the old two up top hasn't exactly done a great deal for you fellas

You've not been paying attention' date=' then.[/b']

and the only out and out winger you'll have at the beginning of next season is Sterling

We need to think about who's going to improve us right now and help us in the race for top 4. And we don't need two out and out wingers on the pitch at the same time (but obviously one isn't too much anyway).

it's not exactly like £8million is a lot considering Liverpool are bankrolled by a bunch of rich yanks and he's a solid looking player.

Salah being a solid looking player is another thing that could be debated. I've seen very little of him, though, so I can't comment much.

And as cute as it is lets not pretend Coutinho isn't anything but a number ten you silly bears.

2 pretty outrageous claims there imo.

We've been without Sturridge' date=' Suarez, Sakho, Allen, Gerrard, Agger, Enrique, Flanagan, Coutinho, Aspas & Coates this season and most of those players were out for more than 4 weeks at some point. We've been constantly forced to change our defence and that's definitely hurt us big time.

We don't have particularly great depth in our squad but I would argue that from the teams in the top 7 you have the thinnest squad.

[b']How are they outrageous comments? Name an area of our team that we lack depth? We have 5 solid centre backs, 3 good full backs and one extremely average one, we have 4 wingers who are all decent as well as Naismith and in the middle we have McCarthy, Barry, Osman, Barkley and Gibson with Pienaar and Mirallas also capable of playing there and up front we have Lukaku and probably Traore with Kone still to return so we hardly lack depth. Also at no point did I say Liverpool haven't had injuries.

[/b]

I don't really get the argument that if you didn't have your 2 best players you'd be weaker. Of course, any team would be (United a prime example). So it's kind of pointless to say that team x would be as good as team y if they didn't have certain players.

Agreed but the two players mentioned aren't our best players;):P

I don't want to make any predictions because so many unexpected things can happen but imo we can make top 4 without January signings. But in that case we'd probably need a helping hand from other teams.

I agree on the last part I think any of you lot, Tottenham and us can make the Champions League and maybe United if they can get RVP fit.

Considering the old two up top hasn't exactly done a great deal for you fellas and the only out and out winger you'll have at the beginning of next season is Sterling it's not exactly like £8million is a lot considering Liverpool are bankrolled by a bunch of rich yanks and he's a solid looking player. And as cute as it is lets not pretend Coutinho isn't anything but a number ten you silly bears.

Two up top does work for us FYI, it's just about getting the right balance in midfield. We did it towards the end of last season and did very well as we played hendo as a false winger and coutinho on the other wing. Coutinho is naturally a number ten yes but he's good enough wide and we can't afford to play him centrally when we are already so poor defensively and we want Sturridge and Suarez in their natural positions. 8mil isn't that much and sure he might be a decent signing but we have more pressing issues. We have plenty of players who can play out wide even if we only have sterling as an out and out winger

I agree on the last part I think any of you lot' date=' Tottenham and us can make the Champions League and maybe United if they can get RVP fit.[/quote']

Hmmm you do have quite a good side actually. I do think we have better players than you but on current form I don't think many of our players would get in your side which is a little worrying.

Suarez and Sturridge' date=' that is it. Would take Agger if he got back on form over Distin.[/quote']

Based on current form I'd have to agree. Think we have way more class but that doesn't mean much if you don't play as well as you can I.e. Agger, Johnson, Gerard, coutinho, Lucas

I actually agree with Adam in the respect I feel they have better depth, you only need to look at the subs bench most games to see that, although admittedly our bench has been much weakened due to numerous injuries.

Everton do lack depth up front, an injury to Lukaku and they are stuffed. Kone is out all season so you can't quote him and Traore ain't signed yet (besides I really don't rate him that much at all Everytime I have seen him he has been poor). They could play Miralles through the middle if needs be but think it will mitigate his effectiveness.

For me the key for Everton all season has been Barry. He initiates the side and is the fulcrum of what Martinez is trying to impress upon them, for me he has been there best player and I think they have every chance of getting him on a permanent basis unlike Lukaku.

I would take Coleman, Baines, Barry and maybe Jagielka other than that I don't think any of them would really be any improvement on the current starting 11 we have if everybody is fully fit.

As for the 4-4-2 debate it can work for us as described in earlier posts if certain criteria is met, it will never work with the line up we started with on Sat.

I agree Salah might not be the priority but we do need better players in all areas bar striker and perhaps goalkeeper. For me two top class FB'S would transform the side as FB'S in modern day football are so so vital but where do you find them in Jan?? It ain't simple for any side to get top quality in Jan all teams are searching for these types it is incredibly difficult.

How are they outrageous comments? Name an area of our team that we lack depth? We have 5 solid centre backs' date=' 3 good full backs and one extremely average one, we have 4 wingers who are all decent as well as Naismith and in the middle we have McCarthy, Barry, Osman, Barkley and Gibson with Pienaar and Mirallas also capable of playing there and up front we have Lukaku and probably Traore with Kone still to return so we hardly lack depth. Also at no point did I say Liverpool haven't had injuries

I agree on the last part I think any of you lot, Tottenham and us can make the Champions League and maybe United if they can get RVP fit.[/quote']

If you include players like Gibson, Kone & Naismith, I can include the likes of Moses, Cissokho & Aspas. They're all experienced players and obviously a part of the squad but when I talk about depth in teams I sort of assume that the pointless players don't count:).

Btw, the original point I made was that Liverpool have more depth in their squad than Everton have. Not that Everton lack in depth.

If you include players like Gibson' date=' Kone & Naismith, I can include the likes of Moses, Cissokho & Aspas. They're all experienced players and obviously a part of the squad but when I talk about depth in teams I sort of assume that the pointless players don't count:).

Btw, the original point I made was that Liverpool have more depth in their squad than Everton have. Not that Everton lack in depth.[/quote']

WHOA, don't put Gibson in the same class as all of them, he is much better. Just that he has a poor injury record.

Interesting looking at the summer signings with the players that went out on loan. Doesn't look too good IMO

Borini> aspas

Suso> Alberto

Assaidi > Moses (I'm sure ray would say that's like saying a punch inthe face is better than a kick in the balls ha)

Wisdom-ilori

Yet we paid over twenty mil for these squad players. I do hope Rodgers has learnt his lesson

WHOA' date=' don't put Gibson in the same class as all of them, he is much better. Just that he has a poor injury record.[/quote']

I've always seen him as a player who scores a few crackers but offers very little otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't seen him all that much.

Interesting looking at the summer signings with the players that went out on loan. Doesn't look too good IMO

Borini> aspas

Suso> Alberto

Assaidi > Moses (I'm sure ray would say that's like saying a punch inthe face is better than a kick in the balls ha)

Wisdom-ilori

Yet we paid over twenty mil for these squad players. I do hope Rodgers has learnt his lesson

I concur with your general sentiment with regards Assaidi and Moses :P

The sad thingis I though Moses might be half decent but he has been absolutely dreadful.

Bit harsh on Illori as we simply ain't seen him so can't really judge. plus with Aspas and Alberto I think it has become abundantly clear Rodgers either Dont rate them or don't trust them either way it aint a ringing endorsement of the business in the summer.