Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I'm a massive fan of Flanagan and not sure why people think so little of him' date=' its like when people started bashing Sterling, and this season he has shoved that back in their faces.

I think you make a good point re pace and agility, but surely that was the same as Carragher and look at the legacy he left behind.

Re Sturridge/Torres I would probably say when he wins a trophy at you - I was researching and I am amazed to see Torres didnt win a trophy with you guys! Crazy stuff.[/quote']

Yeah it's a shame Torres never got a trophy with us,pretty crazy really considering when he's on form with us he's one of the most lethal striker in the world at that time

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Flanagan definitely isn't leaving any time soon. Not only because at least one of our current full-backs is leaving in the Summer but also because he's good enough to play against most teams in the league. His pace and agility let him down a little bit but he has plenty of other qualities. He made his debut ages ago so a lot of people forget that he's still young and should be developing quite a bit in the future.

A question mainly for the non-LFC fans but Liverpool fans can weigh in too obviously: At what point will it be fair to consider Sturridge to be better than Torres ever was for Liverpool?

Forget even Torres , hes already above and beyond. He in my eyes is becoming the best fwd england has and is one of the more clinical in the world

Its a nonsense to say Sturridge is better now than Torres was for us and shows up a number of short term thinkers.

Torres scored 61 goals in his first 100 games for us.

That is incredible.

Yes Studge's form and goal scoring ratio is exceptional right now but its far too early to compare.

That said, he certainly has the potential to be better as long ashe keeps it up and wd dont become another Man City/Chelsea to him.

Its a nonsense to say Sturridge is better now than Torres was for us and shows up a number of short term thinkers.

Torres scored 61 goals in his first 100 games for us.

That is incredible.

Yes Studge's form and goal scoring ratio is exceptional right now but its far too early to compare.

That said' date=' he certainly has the potential to be better as long ashe keeps it up and wd dont become another Man City/Chelsea to him.[/quote']

Exactly this. Too early to compare. Torres was phenomenal for us and did it for years. Sturridge needs to maintain his form for at least another year before we can consider him better

A mixed response, surprisingly it's the Liverpool fans more hesitant to compare Sturridge to Torres.

Sturridge is playing better than Torres ever did imo and it's basically just a matter of him continuing to score a goal per game for a little while more, even though doing it for 14 months is definitely more than just good form. If we get to CL next season and he scores against better opposition and keeps up this scoring record in the league, I think we can properly judge him by the end of this year.

Sturridge has 32 goals and 8 assists in 39 games (34 starts), according to ESPN's stats. That's in all competitions. Torres' goal-scoring stats were very impressive when he started at Liverpool, especially considering it was his first season in England and he scored 7 goals in the CL, but Sturridge's are more impressive at the moment. DS could end up with 10 goals more in his first hundred games than what Torres had.

A mixed response' date=' surprisingly it's the Liverpool fans more hesitant to compare Sturridge to Torres.

Sturridge is playing better than Torres ever did imo and it's basically just a matter of him continuing to score a goal per game for a little while more, even though doing it for 14 months is definitely more than just good form. If we get to CL next season and he scores against better opposition and keeps up this scoring record in the league, I think we can properly judge him by the end of this year.

Sturridge has 32 goals and 8 assists in 39 games (34 starts), according to ESPN's stats. That's in all competitions. Torres' goal-scoring stats were very impressive when he started at Liverpool, especially considering it was his first season in England and he scored 7 goals in the CL, but Sturridge's are more impressive at the moment. DS could end up with 10 goals more in his first hundred games than what Torres had.[/quote']

It's also noticeable how Suarez's goals have dropped since Sturridge's return, but his assists have remained constant - Sturridge is a more selfish striker than Torres, and Suarez so Sturridge's numbers should continue to be as impressive as that.

To be honest I think a Torres at his best in the current side we have with such a good attacking game would have close to 30 goals by this stage of the season.

The record for most goals in a 38-game premier league season is 31 goals, so I think that may be pushing it a bit. And I don't think he'd have any more than Sturridge if they had played the same amount of games.

Torres

Atheltico Madrid

Games 200

Goals 84

Liverpool

Games 126

Goals 81

Chelsea

Games 109

Goals 43

Total Games 435

Total Goals 208

Sturridge

Man City

Games 12

Goals 6

Chelsea

Games 49

Goals 24

Bolton

Games 11

Goals 8

Liverpool

Games 34

Goals 32

Total Games 106

Total Goals 70

Sturridges stats are impressive, very impressive but as I said before it is far too early to compare the two. For me Torres in full flight was astonishing, literally breathtaking.

Interestingly if you take Sturridges goals to games ratio over his career to date, by the time he reaches the 126 games Torres played for us he would have scored 83 goals, 2 more than Torres. I think he is possibly capable of that but until he's actually out gunned Torres then he cannot be considered better than him.

I dare to dream how many Nando would have had in his pomp with Suarez up there with him. Wow.

Incidentally:-

Michael Owen

Games 267

Goals 158

Robbie Fowler (1st stint)

Games 290

Goals 172

Ian Rush (1st stint)

Games 274

Goals 169

John Aldridge

Games 91

Goals 64

(Loved Aldo, his career stats are astonishing - 444 goals in 750 games!)

Sturridge has a long way to go in my eyes yet, but really enjoying him a Liverpool shirt and genuinely hope he can keep it up, however unlikely a goal a game is.

Torres

Atheltico Madrid

Games 200

Goals 84

Liverpool

Games 126

Goals 81

Chelsea

Games 109

Goals 43

Total Games 435

Total Goals 208

Sturridge

Man City

Games 12

Goals 6

Chelsea

Games 49

Goals 24

Bolton

Games 11

Goals 8

Liverpool

Games 34

Goals 32

Total Games 106

Total Goals 70

Sturridges stats are impressive' date=' very impressive but as I said before it is far too early to compare the two. For me Torres in full flight was astonishing, literally breathtaking.

Interestingly if you take Sturridges goals to games ratio over his career to date, by the time he reaches the 126 games Torres played for us he would have scored 83 goals, 2 more than Torres. I think he is possibly capable of that but until he's actually out gunned Torres then he cannot be considered better than him.

I dare to dream how many Nando would have had in his pomp with Suarez up there with him. Wow.

Incidentally:-

Michael Owen

Games 267

Goals 158

Robbie Fowler (1st stint)

Games 290

Goals 172

Ian Rush (1st stint)

Games 274

Goals 169

John Aldridge

Games 91

Goals 64

(Loved Aldo, his career stats are astonishing - 444 goals in 750 games!)

Sturridge has a long way to go in my eyes yet, but really enjoying him a Liverpool shirt and genuinely hope he can keep it up, however unlikely a goal a game is.[/quote']

The initial question was comparing Sturridge & Torres at Liverpool. Certainly in Sturridge's case I don't think it's fair to take his stats from Chelsea and City into consideration.

The initial question was comparing Sturridge & Torres at Liverpool. Certainly in Sturridge's case I don't think it's fair to take his stats from Chelsea and City into consideration.

I was really just highlighting that taking Sturridges form over such a short period of games versus any striker, including various other strikers over time, is ludicrous.

This is amplified by wanting to ignore Sturridges games at City and Chelsea (where he did admirably well when played).

I understand the desire to compare but the lad could never score again, could throw a wobbler and leave or go on to score a hat trick every game from now until eternity.

My point is its too early to compare - lets see if he can score more than Torres first and then we can see, if he does that, how many games it takes him. Then we can compare the two.

Other wise all your doing is comparing a striker in red hot form to a faded memory of some one who used to score for us.

And besides, neither of them are Robbie Fowler. ;)

"I just had an apple, it was very shiny and red. It was extremely juicy and I really enjoyed it.

However I also have another apple growing outside and its redder than the one I ate - therefore it will be a juicier, tastier and better apple if and when I eat it"

:D

No offence but those stats are wrong. Torres' Chelsea record is way worse and Sturridge didn't get 6 in 12 for city. No idea where you got those stats from mate.

Guessing the appearances are based on matches started. Not really good for comparison if you're then including the goals the scored off the bench

I was really just highlighting that taking Sturridges form over such a short period of games versus any striker' date=' including various other strikers over time, is ludicrous.

This is amplified by wanting to ignore Sturridges games at City and Chelsea (where he did admirably well when played).

I understand the desire to compare but the lad could never score again, could throw a wobbler and leave or go on to score a hat trick every game from now until eternity.

My point is its too early to compare - lets see if he can score more than Torres first and then we can see, if he does that, how many games it takes him. Then we can compare the two.

Other wise all your doing is comparing a striker in red hot form to a faded memory of some one who used to score for us.

And besides, neither of them are Robbie Fowler. ;)

"I just had an apple, it was very shiny and red. It was extremely juicy and I really enjoyed it.

However I also have another apple growing outside and its redder than the one I ate - therefore it will be a juicier, tastier and better apple if and when I eat it"

:D[/quote']

It's too early to definitively say which one's better, I agree with that but I don't think it's too soon to compare them. I think 14 months is more than just form, especially when there's a couple of injuries in there to disrupt it.

And the main reason why I didn't want to include his Chelsea appearances was because I don't think he played centrally that much.

Sturridge cannot be considered to be the better or equal of Torres during his time here (certainly the first two years) yet but it is pretty futile to compare as they played in different sides, with different styles etc etc

All I do know is that Sturridge is a fantastic striker who given the proper faith of a manager for the first time in his carrer is showing just how good a player he is and can be. He still has so much he can improve on as well but his movement is first class, his finishing bar the odd game has been clinical and that is all you can ask.

I thin the biggest indication of how much Brendon rates him and how good his form has been is that Suarez has been moved from that central position (something personally I detest but that's another debate) and that in itself is an indication of how good he can be.

There is still lots of work to be done this season, starting with a very tough test on Saturday against a side who has had our number in recent years, all this stuff will only be relevant really if we achieve the aim we started the season with a top four finish and the job is not even close to completion.

No offence but those stats are wrong. Torres' Chelsea record is way worse and Sturridge didn't get 6 in 12 for city. No idea where you got those stats from mate.

Guessing the appearances are based on matches started. Not really good for comparison if you're then including the goals the scored off the bench

Well spotted sir - in fact I made the stats up to suit my argument. :D

They were taken from Soccerbase but in truth the stats are largely irrelevant as all I am really trying to say is that comparison is futile and of no real relevance.

So many factors feed the form of a striker that simply it cannot be done.

That said, Liverpools ability over the years to find genuine world class forward line talent is largely beyond compare - is there another club (other than your Real's of this world who spluff £/E 40m every other tuesday on a galactico or what not) who has consistently found world class strikers so regularly be it for big money or from the ranks? I doubt any other side, certainly British side can directly compare consistently through the years.

Or am I wrong?

It's also noticeable how Suarez's goals have dropped since Sturridge's return' date=' but his assists have remained constant - Sturridge is a more selfish striker than Torres, and Suarez so Sturridge's numbers should continue to be as impressive as that.[/quote']

Sturridge isn't selfish. Suarez's numbers have dropped because he is in a new role.

Well spotted sir - in fact I made the stats up to suit my argument. :D

They were taken from Soccerbase but in truth the stats are largely irrelevant as all I am really trying to say is that comparison is futile and of no real relevance.

So many factors feed the form of a striker that simply it cannot be done.

That said' date=' Liverpools ability over the years to find genuine world class forward line talent is largely beyond compare - is there another club (other than your Real's of this world who spluff £/E 40m every other tuesday on a galactico or what not) who has consistently found world class strikers so regularly be it for big money or from the ranks? I doubt any other side, certainly British side can directly compare consistently through the years.

Or am I wrong?[/quote']

Haha fair enough. I think we've had some good luck I'm relation to strikers. Let's hope It continues to help cover our defensive frailties

He's not. Looks like you've read a few too many newspapers. Only time he seems to be selfish is little periods every now and again and when he is on a hat trick.

Not really.Watched enough of Liverpool and Sturridge this season to have an opinion.He's the only english player along with Rooney probably who I really like.He's pretty selfish but like the others said for a striker its not a bad thing to be selfish.