• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

John W Henry has been reported as saying that Suarez did indeed have a 40 mil release clause but refused to sell him anyway. Thoughts? Personally, I dont like seeing this but as its Liverpool I'm inclined to not really care so much. Other way round though I would be peeved like I was when Dnipro wouldnt give us Konoplyanka.

John W Henry has been reported as saying that Suarez did indeed have a 40 mil release clause but refused to sell him anyway. Thoughts? Personally' date=' I dont like seeing this but as its Liverpool I'm inclined to not really care so much. Other way round though I would be peeved like I was when Dnipro wouldnt give us Konoplyanka.[/quote']

There was no release clause in his contract so it doesn't really matter, had there been one then nobody including him could have stopped the offer once triggered.

Even 'IF' Suarez had made a 'verbal' agreement, it counts for very little as was proven over the summer.

Arsenal have moved on, LFC have moved on and more importantly Suarez has moved on so I don't think this matters at all anymore.

There was no release clause in his contract so it doesn't really matter' date=' had there been one then nobody including him could have stopped the offer once triggered.

Even 'IF' Suarez had made a 'verbal' agreement, it counts for very little as was proven over the summer.

Arsenal have moved on, LFC have moved on and more importantly Suarez has moved on so I don't think this matters at all anymore.[/quote']

Did You not read what I put? Our chairman has admitted there was a release clause of 40 mil but refused to sell still. That's the point I'm making here

Did You not read what I put? Our chairman has admitted there was a release clause of 40 mil but refused to sell still. That's the point I'm making here

Then he must be confused. If a release clause is met then the club that the player is contracted to is obliged to accept and allow talks. In Suarez's case, it appeared that the clause in his contract only meant that Liverpool were obliged to inform him of offers over £40m. If what Henry's saying is correct then you were in breach of contract and that in itself probably has repercussions.

@Neller - I bet Suarez's agent wasn't too happy that he wouldn't be getting his pay day ;)

Then he must be confused. If a release clause is met then the club that the player is contracted to is obliged to accept and allow talks. In Suarez's case' date=' it appeared that the clause in his contract only meant that Liverpool were obliged to inform him of offers over £40m. If what Henry's saying is correct then you were in breach of contract and that in itself probably has repercussions.

@Neller - I bet Suarez's agent wasn't too happy that he wouldn't be getting his pay day ;)[/quote']

Exactly. It happened with konoplyanka. I don't see how we could have gotten away with it. Our owner said that they met the clause but he didn't care and just refused to sell. Don't get how that works I really don't

Exactly. It happened with konoplyanka. I don't see how we could have gotten away with it. Our owner said that they met the clause but he didn't care and just refused to sell. Don't get how that works I really don't

I don't believe it for a second.

With what was happening at the time, the money invloved and the lawyers there if there was a cast iron release clause it would have been done and Nothing Henry could have done due t breach of contract.

Not to mention it already went to the Premier League/FA/players union who confirmed that there was no cast iron release clause at the time Nd that was way before the transfer window ended.

Non Story

This is what has been said apparently.

The Gunners famously made an offer of just one pound over £40m in the summer in the hope of activating the Uruguayan's clause, but Henry says Liverpool weren't prepared to give up their star asset that easily.

At the time Suarez's agent Pere Guardiola accepted there had been confusion over what the clause meant as Liverpool insisted they merely had to inform the 27-year-old of bids in excess of £40m,

But Henry, speaking at the Sloan Sports Analytics conference in America, suggested there was slightly more to it than that.

He said: "Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world.

"He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals – this year we’re tied for second ... we’re actually second because of goal difference.

"They offered £40m plus £1. What we’ve found ... is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

"It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

Not sure what to think. Doesnt look great on our part

This is what has been said apparently.

Not sure what to think.

Think nothing, he is probably just rubbing Arsenal's noses in it :)

as stated in a previous post it went to various authorities who all confirmed that there was NO release clause, if there was nothing we could have done or serious repercussions over breach if contract etc.

Nothing story, move on.

Lets instead talk about our sensational football.

By the way saw the Liverpool v Newcastle U 18 game earlier and you were right Harry Wilson was unplayable, brilliant performance by the lad.

Think nothing' date=' he is probably just rubbing Arsenal's noses in it :)

as stated in a previous post it went to various authorities who all confirmed that there was NO release clause, if there was nothing we could have done or serious repercussions over breach if contract etc.

Nothing story, move on.

Lets instead talk about our sensational football.

By the way saw the Liverpool v Newcastle U 18 game earlier and you were right Harry Wilson was unplayable, brilliant performance by the lad.[/quote']

Yeah its done now. Just found it intersting thats all. Does make me laugh though. I do like John W Henry.

Even if we somehow dont get top 4 id say this has been a great season. We've played some excellent attacking football and the results against Arsenal, SPurs and Everton will live long in the memory for a long long time. I must say, this is the most confident I've been in a while. At this moment I'd pretty confident we'll finish top 4 but its not nailed on yet. I'm not gonna even consider title talk at this moment in time.

In regards to Harry Wilson, this lad really is special. I'm desperate to see how he does at u21s. I cant quite remember how good Sterling was at 16 but I think Wilson might just edge it. He's certainly better than Ibe at 16 IMO. He is just wonderful and I dont get particularly enthusiastic about many players as well usually. For me, Wilson, Chirevella and Rossiter are our 3 biggest Academy prospects and theyre all so young.

Yeah its done now. Just found it intersting thats all. Does make me laugh though. I do like John W Henry.

Even if we somehow dont get top 4 id say this has been a great season. We've played some excellent attacking football and the results against Arsenal' date=' SPurs and Everton will live long in the memory for a long long time. I must say, this is the most confident I've been in a while. At this moment I'd pretty confident we'll finish top 4 but its not nailed on yet. I'm not gonna even consider title talk at this moment in time.

In regards to Harry Wilson, this lad really is special. I'm desperate to see how he does at u21s. I cant quite remember how good Sterling was at 16 but I think Wilson might [i']just [/i]edge it. He's certainly better than Ibe at 16 IMO. He is just wonderful and I dont get particularly enthusiastic about many players as well usually. For me, Wilson, Chirevella and Rossiter are our 3 biggest Academy prospects and theyre all so young.

I watch a lot of our youth games but not seen much of Chirevella to have to much of an opinion yet, I like to see a player at least 7-8 times to start forming an opinion as the odd game don't really give a fair reflection of a player.

Safe to say though Wilson is looking so promising, glides past players, technically very good, good eye for a pass obviously needs to build himself up physically but he is ony 16. Rossiter has always been regarded as one of e "crown jewels" in the youth set up and had plenty of discussion over him in the past.

I refuse to consider top four or anything else at this stage, I hate cliches but it really is one game at a time and TBH I can't see anybody bar Chelsea winning the League.

I refuse to consider top four or anything else at this stage' date=' I hate cliches but it really is one game at a time and TBH I can't see anybody bar Chelsea winning the League.[/quote']

To be honest I think City will end up winning it by over 5 points. They've got two games in hand, they're getting better as the season goes on, Aguero is back and winning the Capital One Cup will be great for their momentum. Plus the amount of times Chelsea have scraped by by so little their luck is due to runout in the coming weeks.

That Suarez thing is starting to go viral now and I have to say if it's true than I now regard Henry as an idiot and should sell the club.

"Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position we’re just not selling.."

So first of all there is a clause, which means if its met we have to accept, which it was. We then blatantly lied to Suarez's face and the rest of the world, including us as fans, saying that there wasn't one. I'm not exactly sure what happens next but surely Arsenal can take us to the FA or court or whatever. What dumbfounds me even more is that the twerp actually admitted it as well as if it was some sort of laughing matter. Suarez has every right to walk out on us this next window whether we make champions league or not, if this is true.

Yes I read it, sorry I should have been more 'blunt' I guess, will try again.

For me the whole thing is total and utter Bull .......

Is there was any contract then at the time it would have been sorted because lawyers and other authorities went over the contract and CONFIRMED that there was NO release clause, just a simple clause that Suarez could 'speak' to other teams IF they bid over 40mil.

which of course was pointless because we rejected the bid anyway.

The only thing I can think of is Henry and given an interview and has been miss quoted because that article looks like it has been written that way, for example the way I read the part were he says contracts mean nothing in England because players just leave, hes actually talking about players just request to leave after signing a new contract like Suarez did.

Were as the way the article has been presented its like they are trying to say he means contracts mean nothing so we didn't need to stick to his release clause.

At the end of the day him and others should not be giving such interviews at this stage of the season.

I remember last time things were going so well for LFC and looked like we had a chance of finishing 1st, Gerrard gets into a pub brawl and then Rafa gave his 'rant'

Things went downhill after that, hopefully Rodgers and the boys will just stay focused because even though we wont win the league they have been excellent.

This thread speaks volumes about how well they have done, were are certain people who was posting before on here now :P

There was a time when coming on here you had to trawl through loads of ...... just to read a few decent posts.

Henry is a genius rather than an idiot. How many clubs will there be lining up to buy our better players when our owner says basically that even if you pay a release clause we won't sell? Not too many. And Suarez' contract was checked by PFA & lawyers so we haven't done anything illegal.

Henry is a genius rather than an idiot. How many clubs will there be lining up to buy our better players when our owner says basically that even if you pay a release clause we won't sell? Not too many. And Suarez' contract was checked by PFA & lawyers so we haven't done anything illegal.

You can't legally reject an offer when it meets a release clause though. That's what I've always thought anyway.

Yes I read it' date=' sorry I should have been more 'blunt' I guess, will try again.

For me the whole thing is total and utter Bull .......

Is there was any contract then at the time it would have been sorted because lawyers and other authorities went over the contract and CONFIRMED that there was NO release clause, just a simple clause that Suarez could 'speak' to other teams IF they bid over 40mil.

which of course was pointless because we rejected the bid anyway.

The only thing I can think of is Henry and given an interview and has been miss quoted because that article looks like it has been written that way, for example the way I read the part were he says contracts mean nothing in England because players just leave, hes actually talking about players just request to leave after signing a new contract like Suarez did.

Were as the way the article has been presented its like they are trying to say he means contracts mean nothing so we didn't need to stick to his release clause.[/quote']

See this is the response I was expecting :P I agree

I loved his stance on Suarez and since it has proved to be 100% correct, but bring it all up AFTER the season has finished, still a stupid time to be bringing media attention now, we simply don't need it.

You can't legally reject an offer when it meets a release clause though. That's what I've always thought anyway.

I don't think Henry is being completely honest in what he says' date=' he's just sending a message that whatever you offer for our best players, we won't sell.

I loved his stance on Suarez and since it has proved to be 100% correct, but bring it all up AFTER the season has finished, still a stupid time to be bringing media attention now, we simply don't need it.

I agree that the timing isn't good, but I don't think this is as big a deal as Rafa's rant was:o

Do you really think one of the best business men in the world would be so stupid? He's not going to admit something which can get him into trouble with the law.

It's hilarious though. Some of the Arsenal fans on Twitter brightened my Monday morning bus journey up.

Do you really think one of the best business men in the world would be so stupid? He's not going to admit something which can get him into trouble with the law.

It's hilarious though. Some of the Arsenal fans on Twitter brightened my Monday morning bus journey up.

One of them has started a Twitter up saying they want Suarez for free and 4.5m compensation, he said so because "his dad's a lawyer". It is actually so cringeworthy.

Besides, who needs Suarez when they have Yaya Sanogoals.