Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I will LOVE it (Keegan style) if we sign Rickie Lambert. A very good option to have in the squad and we do need a new striker.

;2919709']id rather buy 2 Lallanas...

Our problem this season is conceeding goals. Why are we buying a very offensive fullback for a sizeable fee?

Get Ashley Cole' date=' continue to groom Flanagan. Buy centre backs.[/quote']

Because full-backs who can attack are pretty crucial to Rodgers' style of play. I'd be a lot more surprised if we bought a very defensive full-back.

None are an improvement on what we've currently got and as a Champions League team we should be looking at much higher and younger calibre of players. I'd be very underwhelmed if any of those signed.

improvement on what though?

We dont have a Lambert type striker?

Nor a Keita type DM...

we need:

depth

experience

not to break the bank

you dont think someone like Keita would bring anything valuable to the dressing room???

I will LOVE it (Keegan style) if we sign Rickie Lambert. A very good option to have in the squad and we do need a new striker.

Because full-backs who can attack are pretty crucial to Rodgers' style of play. I'd be a lot more surprised if we bought a very defensive full-back.

re Lambert. exactly. key word Option

so do we abandon Jose Enrique now? ship him out?

Don't really understand all the negative reactions to Lambert. Sure if he was a replacement for Suarez or Sturridge then it would be a backward step but as a backup option i think for the right price it's a good bit of business.

Essentially your looking at someone to sit on the bench and come on late in a game for one of the two main forwards or to step in if one gets injured.I don't think your going to find too many world class forwards that will be willing to do that.

Lambert also fits very nicely into Liverpools playing style having played a similar way for Southampton. He is also a proven player in the premiership, adding a good number of assists and goals.

Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

A world class central back should be the priority. The rest can complement an already good squad. Maybe youth promising wing to replace Moses and Aspas spot and maybe if his performances are good, win a spot in the first team. Someone that can give a hand a develop within the club. Thorgan Hazard, Tello, Meyer, Deulofeu or the likes of those, something between 15m and 20m. If Lucas leaves, then yes, a DM with good potential should go on its way. I dont think you need an experienced one, thats what Gerrard is there for...

Quality signing in Moreno.
According to this thread it won't be. Moan' date=' moan, moan.

You'd think its there own money.[/quote']

From what I saw in the EL final he was the worst player on the pitch to an extent. Position ally terrible, going forward, pretty good.

From what I saw in the EL final he was the worst player on the pitch to an extent. Position ally terrible' date=' going forward, pretty good.[/quote']

Have to agree with that.

The few times i have seen him play he hasn't been all he's hyped up to be. However i haven't seen him play week in week out.

;2920129']re Lambert. exactly. key word Option

so do we abandon Jose Enrique now? ship him out?

Considering Enrique's injury' date=' we can't rely too much on him. And I think Rodgers would like someone better than him in the starting lineup anyway. I don't know if we're looking to move him on (I hope not) but ideally he'd be on the bench imo.

A world class central back should be the priority. The rest can complement an already good squad. Maybe youth promising wing to replace Moses and Aspas spot and maybe if his performances are good, win a spot in the first team. Someone that can give a hand a develop within the club. Thorgan Hazard, Tello, Meyer, Deulofeu or the likes of those, something between 15m and 20m. If Lucas leaves, then yes, a DM with good potential should go on its way. I dont think you need an experienced one, thats what Gerrard is there for...

Problem is that a world class CB is the hardest to find. Look at the price rumoured for Benatia and what PSG actually paid for Luiz. I do agree, though, that that's were we have the biggest problems.

+1.

What a very underwhelming highlights reel...

one word. Liability.

Says it on the opening bio. Weakness. Tackling.

And for a Strength to be crossing' date=' only saw maybe 2 of note.

The creator even commented: [i']He is most commonly used as full-back but occasionally he is placed on the left hand side of midfield/wing and at times has actually performed better when put in a more advanced position.[/i]

inspiring. hopefully we use him as a winger.

;2920125']improvement on what though?

We dont have a Lambert type striker?

Nor a Keita type DM...

we need:

depth

experience

not to break the bank

you dont think someone like Keita would bring anything valuable to the dressing room???

Keitas about 4 years past his best for a start and would be on pretty big wages. In a position of DM where you need legs he'll be next to useless in this league.

As for Lambert he just isn't someone we should look to sign, I'd sooner pay a bit more and get a youngster in or give some minutes to one of our promising strikers. Not an exciting signing and to finally get champions league only to sign a Rickie Lambert would be hugely dissapointing.

Keitas about 4 years past his best for a start and would be on pretty big wages. In a position of DM where you need legs he'll be next to useless in this league.

As for Lambert he just isn't someone we should look to sign' date=' [b']I'd sooner pay a bit more[/b] and get a youngster in or give some minutes to one of our promising strikers. Not an exciting signing and to finally get champions league only to sign a Rickie Lambert would be hugely dissapointing.

Maybe you can't afford to? £90m losses over the past two seasons and FFP in play for next season.

Lambert would be your third choice striker by a massively clear margin.

I like the Moreno transfer, a young back who will fit in to the BR style of play seems excellent business as bringing in a young 21 yold full back who will no doubt come on leaps and bounds for his season, he played over 2400 minutes in La Liga which is more than double from the season previous and gained himself over 1100 minutes of European football, all of which will help him as he grows into a more experienced player, plus the age bracket is good for resale

value.

I can see that there are rumours of bids for 'less desirable players' which might not appease the fans too much but with Liverpools squad being very thin and an extra competition added to the calendar in the form of the CL, the squad needs expanding as there will be more games to play at higher tempo, alot more travelling, more chance of injuries etc.So expanding the squad with experienced players whether that be for the league or to use in Europe as long as Brendan knows who and why he is bringing in said 'less desirables' then it seems a no-brainer to me.

As for Lambert he just isn't someone we should look to sign' date=' I'd sooner pay a bit more and get a youngster in or give some minutes to one of our promising strikers. Not an exciting signing and to finally get champions league only to sign a Rickie Lambert would be hugely dissapointing.[/quote']

Lambert is very good, though. 13 goals and 10 assists this season. Not sure why his age would be such a big factor, especially when we have a very young squad to start with.

I hate the phrase 'plan B' in football but he is something different to bring off the bench (or start the game with) and in any case we need another striker. Not quite sure who you're referring to as one of our more promising youngsters. Dunn?

And of course with Lambert, there's the romance factor. He's a Scouser and a boyhood Liverpool fan.

As for Lambert he just isn't someone we should look to sign' date=' I'd sooner pay a bit more and get a youngster in or give some minutes to one of our promising strikers. Not an exciting signing and to finally get champions league only to sign a Rickie Lambert would be hugely dissapointing.[/quote']

So who do you suggest as a striker? What kind of message does that send to Luis Suarez or Sturridge? Im all for competition but buying a striker to take the place of one of our top players? Lambert is ideal as he will be a squad player and an alternative type of striker.

Keita came back from China and was pretty good... no excellent in the Valencia midfield. He is a top athlete - he will have the legs. Again, he will be an option player, when others need a rest in the games v your Leicesters/Palace/Stoke etc...

see his goal v Almeria, not bad for someone with no 'legs'

Have to agree with that.

The few times i have seen him play he hasn't been all he's hyped up to be. However i haven't seen him play week in week out.

This.

And you base your opinion just on one game?

Not just the one game but that was the most recent and he was horribly bad. I've watched him a number of times and he still has a lot to learn defensively.

Not just the one game but that was the most recent and he was horribly bad. I've watched him a number of times and he still has a lot to learn defensively.

It was a pretty awful game of football though, no player on either team stood at as excellent bar Rakitic.

I think he would be a good buy if you can get a very good DM that stays back to cover the full backs.

It was a pretty awful game of football though' date=' no player on either team stood at as excellent bar Rakitic.

I think he would be a good buy if you can get a very good DM that stays back to cover the full backs.[/quote']

An inept at defending full back the part of an already shaky defence? Maybe if they had competent defenders then yes. If he turns out to be as good as Alba it will be a good signing. Fee quoted at £16m (from what I've seen most recently) so that's a pretty decent price anyway.