Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Yes Shaqiri.

Also double swoop on Sevilla for Moreno & Rakitic.

Sevilla won't mind selling two major players they done it last year with Navas & Negredo.

Just show them the money!

This.

IMO Shaqiri is a much better signing than Adam Lallana. He's got Champions League experience, and has the potential to grow as a player, where Lallana on the other hand, is more of a finished article.

I'm not convinced with Lallana. Needs to be consistently performing at that level to command that sort of fee. Memories of Downing, big fish in a small pond ?

I'll be extremely disappointed if we signed Lallana at the expense of Shaqiri.

Apparently the offer is a take it or leave it offer with Liverpool moving onto Shaqiri or Alexis if the bid fails according to the Echo.

No approach whatsoever for Keita.

Lambert having his medical now apparently and the deal is definitely 4 million (Sounds a lot better)

Echo also says we are confident that we'll land Moreno with the player keen to join us.

Emre Can deal has stalled with his wage demands.

Reports from German Kicker said we've approached for Shaqiri but I have no idea whether that is true or reliable.

Apparently the offer is a take it or leave it offer with Liverpool moving onto Shaqiri or Alexis if the bid fails according to the Echo.

Lambert having his medical now apparently and the deal is definitely 4 million (Sounds a lot better)

Echo also says we are confident that we'll land Moreno with the player keen to join us.

Reports from German Kicker said we've approached for Shaqiri but I have no idea whether that is true or reliable.

Alexis/Shaqiri would be so much better than Lallana.

Kicker's very reliable.

Very pleased with Ricky Lambert as our 3rd choice striker. It will be very interesting to how Borini and Lambert can play a role behind Suarez and Sturridge. It feels good to have a physical presence upfront as it offers a new dimension. I think Rodgers will deploy Lambert a little deeper hold the ball up and try to make space and help play in the other attackers, similar to what Lewandowski does at Dortmund.

I'm hoping fingers crossed we don't sign Lallana. He isn't proven enough to warrant such a fee. I'd much rather we spend the 25 Million securing Emre Can and Xherdan Shaqiri. Rodgers will do wonders for Shaqiri's development. Iv always seen Shaqiri much more as a number 10 than a regular winger. He has the attributes to be phenomenal through the centre. With Rodgers coaching Shaqiri he has all potential to make him a fantastic number 10.

Lallana has been staring at Southampton. We can't take a risk of hoping he can up his level and perform to the expectations of a top club. Has downing written all over it. I still don't see how he is a upgrade on Coutinho, unless we drop Coutinho a little deeper. Shaqiri on the other hand is cheaper and is acustomed to the pressure of a big club. He's just never been given a staring role.

Emre Can is very interesting. Has pace and has that pit bull terrier energy in him that will be so crucial in a high pressing game. It might be fat fetched, but he has the potential to have a Yaya Toure presence in our midfield. Strong, quick, tackle, technical.

Moreno needs to improve his tackling. But other than that he can become a top LB with Rodgers coaching him. Enrique can mentor him and will do wonders for his development. Good signing at 15-17 Million.

Only Liverpool would rather pay 25 mil for Lallana than pay less for Shaqiri or Sanchez :D

I very much doubt you'd be able to pick up Alexis for a lesser fee. Would also be surprised if Barca would even be interested in letting Alexis leave.

I very much doubt you'd be able to pick up Alexis for a lesser fee. Would also be surprised if Barca would even be interested in letting Alexis leave.

In all honestly, I can't see Alexis Sanchez moving to Liverpool. He has had a great season at Barca and unfortunately I can't possibility see how he would fit in the starting line up. He isn't a conventional winger, but more of an inside forward. I think Rodgers is looking for a winger who is versatile and who can also play the number 10 role, hence the Shaqiri and Lallana links.

Shaqiri over Lallana. Cheaper and has the potential to far exceed Lallana.

Lallana has been staring at Southampton. We can't take a risk of hoping he can up his level and perform to the expectations of a top club. Has downing written all over it. I still don't see how he is a upgrade on Coutinho' date=' unless we drop Coutinho a little deeper. Shaqiri on the other hand is cheaper and is acustomed to the pressure of a big club. He's just never been given a staring role.[/quote']

I've written many posts supporting the signing of Lallana but I haven't got much else to do at the moment so I might as well write another one.

How much would he have to up his level? 9 goals, 6 assists and a spot in the team of the year. He's better than Coutinho at the moment and would improve our starting XI.

And we can throw the Downing comparisons in the bin straight away. Lallana loves to have the ball and isn't afraid to try things with it. Downing was petrified of evr being anywhere near the ball.

Lallana won the ball back in the final 3rd more often than any other player in the league. I believe that this particular stat is very significant for Rodgers, who I'm sure is looking to make us a better pressing team. He basically has all the characteristics of a Rodgers player.

Having a young team like we do, it doesn't hurt buying another captain to the team.

All this talk of Lallana' date=' Lambert, Pedro, Shaqiri, Alexis.

Considering it was your defence that essentially cost you the league, why aren't many defensive targets being mentioned?[/quote']

We are going to buy lovren for 20 mil

I've written many posts supporting the signing of Lallana but I haven't got much else to do at the moment so I might as well write another one.

How much would he have to up his level? 9 goals' date=' 6 assists and a spot in the team of the year. He's better than Coutinho at the moment and would improve our starting XI.

And we can throw the Downing comparisons in the bin straight away. Lallana loves to have the ball and isn't afraid to try things with it. Downing was petrified of evr being anywhere near the ball.

Lallana won the ball back in the final 3rd more often than any other player in the league. I believe that this particular stat is very significant for Rodgers, who I'm sure is looking to make us a better pressing team. He basically has all the characteristics of a Rodgers player.

Having a young team like we do, it doesn't hurt buying another captain to the team.[/quote']

Agree with all this...

If his name was Lillaninho or summit most if the people on this thread would be all over him like a rash :rolleyes:

Embaressing reading some of this thread the last few days...

If his name was Lillaninho or summit most if the people on this thread would be all over him like a rash :rolleyes:

Not really though... There are cheaper options abroad who are arguably more proven on a bigger stage than Adam Lallana.

Lallana IS overpriced and I don't really see a problem with people saying they'd prefer us to go for someone else? Like someone pointed out before, we could probably get Can + Shaqiri for the price of Lallana, both of them are quality and provide us with much needed depth, sure they can fail in the premier league but Lallana can still fail for us if he comes...as seen with other players, just we can at least get a decent selling on fee for both Can and Shaqiri even if they were to fail, same cannot be said for Lallana. Less of a risk with the duo imo.

Agree with all this...

I have no qualms with him being English, it's just the rumoured fee is ridiculous. Far cheaper, proven options available.

Don't understand why we aren't nabbing Lescott on a free ? Wages are likely high but surely he would take a cut rather than go to a QPR or what not? Just thinking.

Really surprised he's not linked with many clubs in the top half to be honest. Very solid defender, got oodles of experience, still got a few seasons in him and English.

How much would he have to up his level? 9 goals' date=' 6 assists and a spot in the team of the year. He's better than Coutinho at the moment and would improve our starting XI.

I have nothing against Lallana as a player. However, we're not in a position where we can sign a flavour of the month player, spend £25 million and hope it works out. We don't have the financial resources of Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United and this reiterates the point we must spend wisely and sensibly.

Adam Lallana has had 1 standout season, there isn't form of consistency to validate his current valuation. Signing players for inflated fees is often unavoidable, but over paying for a player that has had just one good season is a sure recipe for disaster. Having that £25 Million price tag over his head will bring a new level of expectation and pressure on his shoulders, does he have the mentality to manage that ? I can understand justifying the potential transfer if he has had champions league experience and has performed at this level for considerable amount of time. No one is against Lallana's quality, but his signing shouldn't come at the expense of financial responsibility and ultimately wasting valuable resources.

You may point at Coutinho and Sturridge as a case for taking a gamble. However, both came in at relative cheap transfer deals and both players played without the pressure of a massive price tag. Even if they did flop we could have sold them on and recoup the majority of our initial outlay. If Lallana flops

under the pressure of a big fee along with the pressure of a top club could we recoup that £25 Million for a player who is in his late twenties ? If he had a disastrous season we would be lucky to get even £10 million for him.

Having a young team like we do, it doesn't hurt buying another captain to the team.[/quote']

Agree with all this...

A players name has nothing to do with this. Completely irrelevant.

Not really though... There are cheaper options abroad who are arguably more proven on a bigger stage than Adam Lallana.

Lallana IS overpriced and I don't really see a problem with people saying they'd prefer us to go for someone else? Like someone pointed out before' date=' we could probably get Can + Shaqiri for the price of Lallana, both of them are quality and provide us with much needed depth, sure they can fail in the premier league but Lallana can still fail for us if he comes...as seen with other players, just we can at least get a decent selling on fee for both Can and Shaqiri even if they were to fail, same cannot be said for Lallana. Less of a risk with the duo imo.[/quote']

This.

Agreed, Lallana is over priced. Hasn't showed any level of long term consistency to warrant such a fee.

Shaqiri £15 Million

Emre Can £12 Million

Will represent a much more shrewd investment. In the mould of the Coutinho and Sturridge siginings. Young talent, minimal pressure from a small transfer fee, potential to grow immensely.

If we're going to spend, spend shrewdly and take calculated risks. We can't have another fiasco of spending a £100 million on players who have no real pedigree. When we really want a player amidst competition from other teams we often lose out as we penny punch over a few million. We only have a limited amount of resources, and I trust the men upstairs in the chair to spend it wisely. We're not Manchester City who can pay £30 million for impact subs such as Dzeko, Jovetic and Milner.

This.

Agreed' date=' Lallana is over priced. Hasn't showed any level of long term consistency to warrant such a fee.

Shaqiri £15 Million

Emre Can £12 Million

Will represent a much more shrewd investment. In the mould of the Coutinho and Sturridge siginings. Young talent, minimal pressure from a small transfer fee, potential to grow immensely.

If we're going to spend, spend shrewdly and take calculated risks. We can't have another fiasco of spending a £100 million on players who have no real pedigree. When we really want a player amidst competition from other teams we often lose out as we penny punch over a few million. We only have a limited amount of resources, and I trust the men upstairs in the chair to spend it wisely. We're not Manchester City who can pay £30 million for impact subs such as Dzeko, Jovetic and Milner.[/quote']

A players name does have a lot to do with it in many cases people just get seduced by Foreign names, when a lot of the time they are no better than if not worse the English names suggested. Most of the time I would bet my bottom dollar most people have not seen enough of these foreign names to really make an informed opinion but back it because a foreign name sound "sexier".

Saying Lallana has shown no level of consistency is a staggering comment when he has been brilliant for near on five seasons albeit not all of them at the highest level. Look at his adaptation to the PL and the numbers speak for themselves, look at how he effortlessly has fitted in to International football and has looked near on the bets player on the pitch Everytime he has played.

In every single facet he has excelled, he is an ideal fit for the way we play, fantastic at pressing, chance creation, scoring goals, eye for a pass to doubt his ability is ludicrous. His numbers stand up to almost all midfielders in the PLand those at much better clubs in better sides.

You quote Can and Shaqiri but Can has basically had one season playing at the top level in Germany and when you look at Shaqiri he has really not played that much at the very top level either but is more well known because of the Champions League exposure. Shaqiri is a good player, as stated before not really seen Can play so can't comment on him but I think Lallana is a better fit for the way we play than Shaqiri and is also accustomed to the League and is PROVEN in the PL.

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay, if Rodgers thinks Lallana is the ideal man then we should trust him in his judgement, why fans get so worked up about fees I don't know, the people at the club and FSG are not stupid they will have a plan and a budget to address all areas, how they choose to spend that is up to them that is why they are employed/own the club to make these decisions and as fans we have to trust them.

The point about his name is that if he was a foreign' date=' more exotic player, people would be much more excited about him. I mentioned Gaston Ramirez & Van Wolfswinkel as players that people have been excited about and it's mainly because they're not 'boring' Englishmen. Look how they've turned out.

This.

Agreed, Lallana is over priced. Hasn't showed any level of long term consistency to warrant such a fee.

Shaqiri £15 Million

Emre Can £12 Million

If we're going to spend, spend shrewdly and take calculated risks. We can't have another fiasco of spending a £100 million on players who have no real pedigree. When we really want a player amidst competition from other teams we often lose out as we penny punch over a few million. We only have a limited amount of resources, and I trust the men upstairs in the chair to spend it wisely. We're not Manchester City who can pay £30 million for impact subs such as Dzeko, Jovetic and Milner.

No transfer is ever certain to be a success but I can't think of many players who would fit into our system as seamlessly as Lallana (this is taking into consideration that the likes of Shaqiri don't have experience of this league) so this is a very small risk for us. We'll pay a lot of money but we're almost guaranteed to get a good player.

And not every signing we make has to be a kid with potential, we apparently have the money to buy a £25M player so why not?

A players name does have a lot to do with it in many cases people just get seduced by Foreign names' date=' when a lot of the time they are no better than if not worse the English names suggested. Most of the time I would bet my bottom dollar most people have not seen enough of these foreign names to really make an informed opinion but back it because a foreign name sound "sexier".

Saying Lallana has shown no level of consistency is a staggering comment when he has been brilliant for near on five seasons albeit not all of them at the highest level. Look at his adaptation to the PL and the numbers speak for themselves, look at how he effortlessly has fitted in to International football and has looked near on the bets player on the pitch Everytime he has played.

In every single facet he has excelled, he is an ideal fit for the way we play, fantastic at pressing, chance creation, scoring goals, eye for a pass to doubt his ability is ludicrous. His numbers stand up to almost all midfielders in the PLand those at much better clubs in better sides.

You quote Can and Shaqiri but Can has basically had one season playing at the top level in Germany and when you look at Shaqiri he has really not played that much at the very top level either but is more well known because of the Champions League exposure. Shaqiri is a good player, as stated before not really seen Can play so can't comment on him but I think Lallana is a better fit for the way we play than Shaqiri and is also accustomed to the League and is PROVEN in the PL.

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay, if Rodgers thinks Lallana is the ideal man then we should trust him in his judgement, why fans get so worked up about fees I don't know, the people at the club and FSG are not stupid they will have a plan and a budget to address all areas, how they choose to spend that is up to them that is why they are employed/own the club to make these decisions and as fans we have to trust them.[/quote']

The difference between Shaqiri and Can is that both are relatively younger and have a considerable capacity for development, rather than Adam Lallana who is arguably in the prime years of a footballer's career. Adam Lallana has had one standout season, and it's a season where Southampton as a team have impressed as a whole. The season before this, Lallana was distinctly average. Just one impressive season and everyone starts jumping on the Lallana bandwagon. He is 26 and purchasing him for £25 million without any Champions League experience as one of ' Marquee Established Players' is just ludicrous. If he has infact performed at the highest level then such a fee wouldn't be met with so much opposition. People forget there is a gulf in class between Liverpool and Southampton. Yes Lallana has performed well at Southampton, but what makes you think he is not a big fish in a small pond ?. Adam Lallana in terms of technique is one of the best English players today, there is nothing disputing that. But however, people often forget that the standard of the England national team is distinctly average. We consistently get out performed internationally by nations such as Portugal which features a league which many people consider as a 'weak ' league here on this forum. The fact that Emile Heskey has so many caps without question and the fact that English media raved Tom Cleverley as the new ' Gazza' is just a testament to the quality of the England Football team. Any player who is distinctly above average is hyped up because we as a nation develop so many average technical footballers. We often place players such as Adam Lallana who have above average technique, on a pedalstel, because were starved of a technically gifted English footballers. This is one of the focus of the enquiries carried out by the English FA after the 4-1 mauling by Germany. We have now adopted the 'Spanish and German' philosophy of developing talent where the initial aim is try and develop technique first and then focus on developing physical attributes secondly. Iv seen Adam Lallana on the International Stage and while he is one of the better technical English players, there isn't a game where he has really been influential and dictated play. He looked distinctly average against Peru, against opposition where you expect him to shine and show his talent. Southampton finished 8th. We are a team that's aspiring to challenge for major honours. Adam Lallana is a massive gamble and in my opinoin it wouldn't surprise me if we did sign him for £25 million and see him fail under the exaggerated pressure that the English Media has subjected him to.

Xherdan Shaqiri has all the potential to surpass Adam Lallana, and along with Emre Can would represent a far more shrewd piece of buissness. Shaqiri is at that stage in the development where he can become an integral player. With Shaqiri there is ability, with potential to be even better. I have seen Shaqiri play, unlike many other LFC fans who are adamant that the club should sign Konoplaynka a player who has only been heard by these fans this past January and who's best accomplishment was scoring a goal against an average England side in a 2012 friendly. I think in general, our fans need to need spend more time watching football rather than come up with assumptions reading the back page of the sun.

I just hope we have learned our lessons from the 2011 Transfer Fiasco. This is the opportunity to cement a top 4 place and push on. Miss it and we will be punished hard. Tottenham and United will strengthen along with Chelsea, Arsenal and City.