Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Pepe Reina admits he is likely to return to Liverpool this summer even though he doesn't believe he is in Brendan Rodger's plans.

The Spain international has spent the season on loan in Serie A where he had an impressive season with Napoli.

Rodgers has already hinted that Reina will not be returning to Anfield, instead opting to sell him on a permanent basis in the summer but interest in the £90,000-a-week star has dwindled.

Reina was a target for both Atletico Madrid and Barcelona but the player himself admits he is unlikely to join either of the clubs and will have to return to Liverpool and talk to the club about his future.

With Simon Mignolet impressing for Liverpool in his debut season, it looks as though Reina has no place in the Liverpool squad. The 31-year-old says he will focus on his World Cup campaign with Spain before returning to Merseyside.

"Right now I'm only thinking of La Roja (Spain's national team)," Reina is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

"With regards to a new club, I will first have to speak to Liverpool.

"My season on loan at Napoli has been very positive and I thank the Napoli people and the club.

"With Barcelona there is nothing, they have just acquired (German goalkeeper) Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, hence they have that role covered.

"I haven't had any contact either with Atletico Madrid, I think they will do all they can to keep (Thibaut) Courtois.

"I will return to be a Liverpool player but I think I'm not in the coaching plans."

Reina made 106 saves and kept nine clean sheets for Rafa Benitez's Napoli side last season but no word on a permanent move to the Serie A outfit is yet to emerge.

He's not English and you'd get more then value for money' date=' so that rules you and Etihad out. He's ours and that's that.[/quote']

I look forward to when he goes to Manchester and you have to eat (yet more) humble pie....

Your predictions on this thread in particular in the past year have been nothing short of abysmal :)

Cesc Fabregas > Liverpool anybody? :P

Gunna upset a few who can't see past a "name" but I really don't think he would fit into our style of football/play.....

Huge investment for somebody who I don't believe fits into our particular brand of football.

Gunna upset a few who can't see past a "name" but I really don't think he would fit into our style of football/play.....

Huge investment for somebody who I don't believe fits into our particular brand of football.

Well what about Lallana for £25m or Fabregas for £30m?

Which would you prefer?

Personally I think if you (or any club for that matter) get the chance to sign someone who's proven in the PL at a younger age they can do the business for a relatively competitive fee considering the talent on offer that you should go for it.

Fabregas would/could be a signing that elevates your club further as he is a genuinely world class playmaker who can also bag you some goals.

He might not instantly fit into the style you have but talent like that isn't often around and what you miss out on could be damaging you in the next game.

I personally would argue that put Fabregas in ANY PL starting 11 and he'd improve their CM position.

I look forward to when he goes to Manchester and you have to eat (yet more) humble pie....

Your predictions on this thread in particular in the past year have been nothing short of abysmal :)

Don't worry, I've learned my lesson. My predictions will focus solely on Liverpool transfers.

I can't fail.

Well what about Lallana for £25m or Fabregas for £30m?

Which would you prefer?

Personally I think if you (or any club for that matter) get the chance to sign someone who's proven in the PL at a younger age they can do the business for a relatively competitive fee considering the talent on offer that you should go for it.

Fabregas would/could be a signing that elevates your club further as he is a genuinely world class playmaker who can also bag you some goals.

He might not instantly fit into the style you have but talent like that isn't often around and what you miss out on could be damaging you in the next game.

I personally would argue that put Fabregas in ANY PL starting 11 and he'd improve their CM position.

I honestly don't think Fabregas is a good fit for us at all in many respects.

our game is based around high tempo, high press, pace and movement and in none of those respects do I think Fabregas excels.

Fabregas is a good playmaker but he tends to play the game at a much slower pace, he don't press the ball particuarly well and has no natural position in our side that I can see at present.

You talk about fees but what fans need to remember (especially on this thread) is that the "fee" is only part of the equation you also have to factor Wages into the equation and Fabregas will be what say £150k a week so give him a five year contract that's 37.5m so his real fee is 67.5m that is a huge investment in a player the type of which I can't see us doing and perhaps we are unable to do.

It is a massive investment and will also prevent and take money required for other areas, FSG and the manager have to factor all this in to the equation and that is a huge outlay for a player although unquestionably talented does not fit IMO into our side naturally.

Sometimes the best buy is not the biggest name but the player who best fits what you are trying to achieve....

While most supporters agree that Lallana, the 26-year-old England international, would be a good addition at Anfield, the potential cost is one that has divided opinion.

Yes, £25 million does seem quite exorbitant at first glance, but look a little deeper and you can see why it can be justified.

First off, take the increased Premier League TV revenue last season which saw even the bottom placed team in the league, Cardiff City, earn £62.1m – more than the title winners the year before.

It’s quite clear that this increased amount of money in England’s top flight is going to inflate the transfer market this summer. The market is effectively a new one, comparing deals and prices now with ones even a year ago isn’t relative.

Secondly, those qualifying for the Champions League next season (in 2014/15), and thus in Europe’s elite competition for 2015/16, will earn more than DOUBLE the TV revenue due to BT Sport’s purchase of TV rights.

Quite clearly then, the importance of qualifying for the Champions League next season is huge. You cannot put a price on it.

The worst case for Liverpool would be to throw away this opportunity after having regained their place in the competition after five years away, in one season. Missing out on the huge TV revenue subsequently.

That TV revenue increase for Champions League participants, you would think, will create a bigger divide between those in the competition and those not. It will make qualifying even more important than it is currently.

Liverpool, therefore, MUST strengthen their squad this summer in order to be competitive next season and thus qualify for the Champions League again.

£25 million on a player the manager sees as an important addition to achieve his aims, will pale into insignificance in the bigger picture.

You cannot compare the deal to that of Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, or indeed any other transfer. As explained, the market is now a new one due to the increased TV revenue.

Furthermore, Rodgers is clearly keen to get business done before the World Cup, allowing for a quicker transition after the tournament. Spending a little more to get that massive benefit is justified.

Anyway, since when did all football fans become financial advisors and experts in football transfers? Isn’t it about enjoying the game?

FSG get criticised for not spending big money, and when they are prepared to back the manager and spend relatively big money, there’s still some who aren’t happy.

This isn’t the wasteful spending of a previous era, it’s calculated, speculating to accumulate. We have a superb manager who has identified a player he sees as a key player for the club.

As explained' date=' the market is now a new one due to the increased TV revenue.

[/quote']

Well written theory but completely ignoring buying from other countries. The higher tv money puts English clubs in a fantastic position to buy talent from other leagues. Buying Lallana for anywhere close to 20m is just buying into hype, arguably lazy on behalf of the Liverpool transfer decision makers & although granted adds competition & flexibility does not improve the first team.

Well written theory but completely ignoring buying from other countries. The higher tv money puts English clubs in a fantastic position to buy talent from other leagues. Buying Lallana for anywhere close to 20m is just buying into hype' date=' arguably lazy on behalf of the Liverpool transfer decision makers & although granted adds competition & flexibility does not improve the first team.[/quote']

Sorry mate - whilst I am nervous at the money involved (primarily because weve bought expensive/over priced english players and been burnt previously) - but the above is absolute chollocks. Whilst I would be happier improving defensively and thats where I beleive the money should be spent currently, doesnt mean Lallana is suddenly not one of the best current Premiership players.

It smacks of negativity, a negativity that really shouldnt be there, I do not understand it.

Let me ask a question - using the same value - how would you improve the first 11? (Genuine question that and almost an aside to this)

Not meant to be antagonistic in any way - but surely a club pushing at the top of the table isnt being lazy by chasing the best players from the said division? Yes he's an obvious target in regards form and profile (less so in regards our needs) but that shoudlnt make him any less desirable. the fact that he is more accessible due to his club than folk from other clubs is also irrelvant to the player himself.

I get tired of the hipster transfer scouts out there - sometimes buying a really good, british player to play in a british league for a british team is worh a couple more mill than buying a Carlo "the italian/mexican/saudi arabian/ Messi " Younginho.

Ultimately if someone wanted an overseas Lallan they would likely save £5, maybe even £10m at a push. Thats money we should not be quibbling about if we are serious about being a top 4 side.

You guys better treat him right. :(

He ain't gunna be a regular starter but he will be a terrific option from the bench and will get his fair share of games due to the increased games we face this season.

Terrific move for the lad you can tell how much Liverpool means to him and it genuinely is his dream move, delighted for him. His letter to the Southampton fans was classy as well and he is one of those footballers you do take at there word.

Whilst he ain't top class IMO he is so much better than what we have as back up options to Suarez and Sturridge and will be a useful addition to the squad.

He ain't gunna be a regular starter but he will be a terrific option from the bench and will get his fair share of games due to the increased games we face this season.

Terrific move for the lad you can tell how much Liverpool means to him and it genuinely is his dream move' date=' delighted for him. His letter to the Southampton fans was classy as well and he is one of those footballers you do take at there word.

Whilst he ain't top class IMO he is so much better than what we have as back up options to Suarez and Sturridge and will be a useful addition to the squad.[/quote']

I'm just as sad about him leaving as I am that now we can't have any more debates about him getting into (or I suppose now out of) the England squad. :(