Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Anyone in here feel like defending Suarez now?

This is happening way too often. He's obviously not learnt, or refused to learn, his lesson from his previous two bans for biting. Hopefully FIFA will give him a very lengthy ban from worldwide football, which they do have the authority to do, minimum 6 months I would suggest.

Liverpool would do well to sell him sooner rather than later. Interest will naturally drop following a large ban, not to mention that once again he is dragging your clubs name into discussions about his behaviour, and as such showing a disregard and lack of respect towards you after all you've done for him.

I'd love to know what Rodgers and Gerrard are thinking. I've got BR down as pretty down to earth, and he stood by Suarez after the incident with Ivanovic when he could have easily got rid of him. It must be a real kick in the teeth (excuse the pun) for BR to see Suarez do the same thing again just over a year later. What a disgusting lack of respect.

He obviously has something sort of anger management/mental problem that causes him to keep doing these things, no one is this stupid. Especially after all he's being saying in the media about wanting to be seen as a role model and so on I find it hard to believe he would fully consciously go and bite a third player.

Anything less than a lengthy ban is FIFA completely ducking what is an obvious issue.

He has consistently displayed this behaviour now amongst others that bring the game into disrepute. While it would be ironic for FIFA to punish someone for this (let's face it they aren't angels themselves) it needs to happen and while it will be a huge shame to not see some incredible football from a great player it would be far more concerning to allow biting opposing players to be a minor deal especially with repeat offenders.

Suarez must have something wrong to make him feel he needs to do these things on the pitch and I really hope during his ban he gets some proper professional help for this. There has to be some sort of mental health issue here that needs addressing desperately.

If that was an England or United player doing that I'd be disgusted because there is no reason for Suarez to bite Chiellini.

;2939047']TBH im questioning myself whether i want him back next season at Anfield....

a little sad really' date=' a truely amazing talent yet something is missing up top.

The Barca deal muted with Sanchez would be a good choice now IMO.[/quote']

Personally I don't want him back, not after this. He's a disgrace to our club and the country of Uruguay. Can see this cutting his fee in half.

He deserves a hefty ban, at the very least 15 games, both Internationally and domestic.. Don't want him to have a domestic ban, but he deserves one, a large one.

If that was an England or United player doing that I'd be disgusted because there is no reason for Suarez to bite Chiellini.

Exactly' date=' he didn't even do anything he was just standing there wasn't he? It's disgusting from Suarez. Even if he had done something to anger Suarez (which he obviously didn't) biting him still shouldn't happen.

No defending this one. He has to go ASAP.

He obviously has something sort of anger management/mental problem that causes him to keep doing these things, no one is this stupid. Especially after all he's being saying in the media about wanting to be seen as a role model and so on I find it hard to believe he would fully consciously go and bite a third player.

Definitely, something isn't right up there. Didn't his wife say to him he was beginning to embarrass his family with his field antics last season? She sure aint going to let this one go lightly either.. He's going to have her and Fifa to deal with. :o

If he ends up with a 15+ game domestic ban does BR sign a new striker or will he happy with Sturridge and Lambert? If Sturridge gets an injury Lambert will be shouldering a lot of high expectations.

I'd hope he'd sign another striker, it'll need to be done soon enough anyway because Suarez has to leave. Get in a striker this summer and if Suarez hasn't left after the summer, he'll have probably served his ban come January, and then ship him out.

Sell him? Are you lot out of your freaking mind? :o Sell him because of his attitude ... pfft. I bet Chelsea, Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid would come running if we try to offload him with all this so called "slashed in a half market price" (considering if there is no club competition banned).

Why should we (Liverpool fans) be ashamed of what he did, he should be ashamed of himself.

And seriously what is this new scandalous incident have to do with Liverpool; dragging your club name, lacks of respects towards club etc.

Liverpool have nothing to do with this new incident. How on earth can Liverpool control him on his international duties. lol

If there is people that getting let down it is the Uruguayan fans and Suarez himself.

And to be fair to him, he is respecting our club as he should be after that 'small talk / punishment' given by Liverpool / BR, he did indeed become more likeable and can control his issue on the pitch, while wearing our crest.

pfft. I bet Chelsea' date=' Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid would come running if we try to offload him.[/quote'] I dont know how Id feel about it here after this. Three times is enough and I dont want that happening when he is at Arsenal otherwise he will definitely get banned for a season if he does it again in the BPL.

Sell him? Are you lot out of your freaking mind? :o Sell him because of his attitude ... pfft. I bet Chelsea' date=' Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid would come running if we try to offload him with all this so called "slashed in a half market price" (considering if there is no club competition banned).

Why should we (Liverpool fans) be ashamed of what he did, he should be ashamed of himself.

And seriously what is this new scandalous incident have to do with Liverpool; dragging your club name, lacks of respects towards club etc.

Liverpool have nothing to do with this new incident. How on earth can Liverpool control him on his international duties. lol

If there is people that getting let down it is the Uruguayan fans and Suarez himself.

And to be fair to him, he is respecting our club as he should be after that 'small talk / punishment' given by Liverpool / BR, he did indeed become more likeable and can control his issue on the pitch, while wearing our crest.[/quote']

Many would love to have him for his talent, but he does represent Liverpool and he has disgraced his club, country and himself. It's too many times.

As an Arsenal fan, look at that Henry handball for France and how everyone jumped on Arsenal... it was only once and nothing like Suarez's. He can use this to force a transfer if he isn't domestically banned. I think LFC won't stand by him this time.

Many would love to have him for his talent' date=' but he does represent Liverpool and he has disgraced his club, country and himself. It's too many times.

As an Arsenal fan, look at that Henry handball for France and how everyone jumped on Arsenal... it was only once and nothing like Suarez's. He can use this to force a transfer if he isn't domestically banned. I think LFC won't stand by him this time.[/quote']

Henry left a couple of years before that incident didnt he how did it affect Arsenal?

I cant see Liverpool selling Suarez. They bought him after a similar incident & they rewarded him with a pay rises after racism incident + again after biting another player!

Heres how i think suarez will go :

1. fifa open an investigation (already done)

2. suarez pipes up in the media that there was a coming together but it happens (already done)

3. Next release he claims the media are out to get him and he's done nothing wrong

4. He'll claim that Chiellini put his shoulder into his jaw, must be where the teeth marks came from and why he held his jaw

5. Fifa find him guilty and ban him for x amount of time (24 games is in my head as its the max they can ban apparently)

6. Suarez claims he has been targetted and its driven by the english media who have an agenda against him - especially so since he knocked us out with his two goals

7. He leaves the world cup and retreats to Uruguay, who take his side and all feel hard done by

8. He refuses to return to Liverpool as doesnt feel wanted or safe

9. Liverpool lose patience after several weeks, he doesnt show for preseason

10. He is sold to one of the big two La Liga sides

Such a shame that probably the best striker in the world at the moment with the world at his feet and the form that he is in has to resort to things like this.

There is definitely issues there and he needs to sort himself out.l mean what must his family think about this, and what kind of message he is sending to kids out there who idolize him and look up to him.

Heres how i think suarez will go :

1. fifa open an investigation (already done)

2. suarez pipes up in the media that there was a coming together but it happens (already done)

3. Next release he claims the media are out to get him and he's done nothing wrong

4. He'll claim that Chiellini put his shoulder into his jaw' date=' must be where the teeth marks came from and why he held his jaw

[b']5. Fifa find him guilty and ban him for x amount of time (24 games is in my head as its the max they can ban apparently)[/b]

6. Suarez claims he has been targetted and its driven by the english media who have an agenda against him - especially so since he knocked us out with his two goals

7. He leaves the world cup and retreats to Uruguay, who take his side and all feel hard done by

8. He refuses to return to Liverpool as doesnt feel wanted or safe

9. Liverpool lose patience after several weeks, he doesnt show for preseason

10. He is sold to one of the big two La Liga sides

24 months, not 24 games just to clarify.

24 months' date=' not 24 games just to clarify.[/quote']

afraid not mate :-

Fifa’s disciplinary code has the scope to suspend a player for a maximum of 24 matches – which, technically, can include club games but in practice tends to be only internationals.

Fifa’s disciplinary code has the scope to suspend a player for a maximum of 24 matches – which' date=' technically, can include club games but in practice tends to be only internationals.[/quote']

No there is reports of a 2 year ban for Suarez

Fifa’s disciplinary code has the scope to suspend a player for a maximum of 24 matches – which' date=' technically, can include club games but in practice tends to be only internationals.[/quote']

Yea I read the ban could be a max 2 years.

Obviously lots of banter and funny pictures going around but this is a serious issue and I found this interesting by Paul Hayward of the Telegraph;

Luis Suárez has twice been on the naughty step for biting but was plainly not deterred. Faced with a third offence by a toddler, even a supernanny would run screaming from the house. The man-child who destroyed England’s World Cup hopes has a pathological problem and must pay for it with a minimum six-month ban from football.

“It was clear-cut. It was ridiculous not to send him off,” said Giorgio Chiellini after pulling back his shirt to reveal teeth marks on his shoulder. Chiellini is a classic Italian centre-back: tough, awkward to play against and an agent provocateur. He is entitled to go about his work, though, without an opposition striker trying to make a meal of him.

The same is true for Suárez’s two previous victims, who were also dragged into his violent kindergarten. Chiellini called him a “sneak” and doubted Fifa’s willingness to eject one of the stars of the tournament. They must know that keeping him in would do more damage than kicking him out, and not just of international football.

There are plenty of inspirational players in Brazil: Neymar, Lionel Messi and Arjen Robben among them. Just as the drums started beating again for a Suárez move to Real Madrid or Barcelona, he has turned himself back into a pariah. The move his father-in-law says he is tempted to make is surely in jeopardy, assuming Fifa display the courage of their own lawbook. Alternatively Liverpool face the prospect of paying a player on an improved contract fortunes to sit in the doghouse for another long spell.

The first step was Fifa saying it would “gather all the necessary elements in order to evaluate the matter”. If the charge is proven it would be a scandal if they allow him to continue at this tournament and no less a farce if they neglected to take his “previous” into account. Uruguay are set to face Colombia in their second-round match at the Maracana in Rio on Saturday. Fifa’s maximum sanction is thought to be two years.

Biting is said by psychologists to be an impulse crime, borne of fear and panic. But Suárez is in no real danger on a football field. Nor can he be in any doubt about the cost to his victim, himself or his team when he sinks his teeth into an opponent’s arm or shoulder.

His 10-game ban for chewing on Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic cast a long shadow over him and Liverpool, who had defended him so resolutely during the Patrice Evra racial abuse case. Sticking up for him is pointless. For him, loyalty is a one-way street.

This latest failure of self-control, in the Italy-Uruguay game in Natal, points to another alarming disconnect between actions and consequences. Given the potential punishment, Suárez is apparently incapable of calculating the cost of inflicting pain on a fellow professional in this way. Eric Cantona kung-fu’d a Crystal Palace fan at Selhurst Park and returned to football chastened. Suárez, on the other hand, goes from assault to assault, with no apparent cognizance of the turmoil that will follow.

After three incidents, it is not football’s business to put an arm round him, especially with a World Cup in full flow. The game’s duty is to protect the victim. After this, there can be no confidence that he will ever cease and desist. Even a six-month ban might not keep the flesh of defenders safe.

In 2010, at Ajax in Amsterdam, Suárez was suspended for seven games for biting PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal on the shoulder. In April last year, he grabbed Ivanovic’s arm like a man picking a lump of meat off a barbecue and buried his teeth in the bicep. As with the Group  D game here, the attack was not dealt with by match officials. Suárez was later charged by the FA with violent conduct and banned for 10 games. The disciplinary panel described his actions as “deplorable”.

Over that summer, Suárez agitated for a move away from Liverpool and was accused of showing “total disrespect” to the club by Brendan Rodgers, the manager. Less than a year later he was being anointed the PFA and Footballer Writers’ Association footballer of the year after a stunning season without disciplinary incident. The Evra racist language case was allowed to rest, along with the Ivanovic offence. Fellow pros and journalists overlooked his tendency to dive and exaggerate the impact of tackles. The cascade of goals and rampaging displays in a Liverpool shirt lifted him close to Thierry Henry on the scroll of great foreign players to have adorned the Premier League.

Those judgments have been turned upside down. Suárez was not reformed but biding his time. Even Liverpool’s notoriously loyal fans will struggle to defend him now. And those who argue that a knee-high career ending tackle is worse than a bite lack the fall-back of calling this a one-off, or even a two-off.

Football is on uncharted territory with a gifted player who uses his teeth so often as a weapon. As Chiellini bared his shoulder, shock seized the World Cup. Diving, rolling, handling the ball on the line, racial abuse, three cases of biting: Suárez is a force of nature as a footballer and a rogue of a man. He has no place in Brazil.

Yeah I'm seeing both too but its the 24 game ban that has appeared more quoted to me.

Lots and lots of potential ban detail coming out but as far as I can see it is most likely that a ban would involve international football ONLY and would be a maximum of 24 games or 2 years for the Uruguay National Side.

That said, FIFA can extend to domestic, or with UEFA consent, European cup competitions.

So to put it another way - It could be across any or all competitive football but no more than 24 games or 2 years.

I think FIFA will come down hard on him, but the cover story from Suarez, his teammates, manager and federation will already mean that any ban is likely to be challenged and this could mean that Fifa don't go all out on him with the maximum ban, instead offering a "could have been worse so suck it up" ban.

All opinion and conjecture of course.