ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Agger is a strange one.

I honestly believe that at the time City were rumoured to be after him, roughly 2 years ago, he was one of the best ball playing centre backs in Europe and had steadily grown to that position - it didn't happen over night. To me that confirms he has quality and showed that quality over a number of seasons for us.

However, since that time it can't be argued that his performances have seen a steady decline and he is no longer near the standard of performance he had previously regularly delivered for us.

So, a question. Has Agger stagnated and ultimately gone backward because of a lack of competition for his place in the side?

If the answer is yes, the arrival of Sakho could see him raise his game back to previous levels - form is temporary, class is permanent etc.

If the answer is no, then he needs to move on as we need to be a lot more defensively astute this coming season and cannot wait for him to possibly rediscover form over the season as his would likely be a stop start season in and out of the side. If he needs consistent appearances to slowly improve its unlikely Liverpool will offer what he needs.

I fully expect now that he will re-join Rafa at Napoli and certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him regain form with the move. You just know he'll likely be phenomenal again, sods law! But fair play to him, he's been a terrific servant to the club.

Much like Reina and his return. Feel almost sorry for Pepe, deserves to be a regular at a decent side but no one seems to be wanting him and Napoli cant afford him apparently.

I haven't rated Agger for quite some time now. For me defensively he simply isn't strong enough and he's always got extra credit for being good on the ball. I simply prefer my CB's to be solid, to many times you see him half heatedly go into challenges, lose headers that CB's simply shouldn't lose or just gets out muscled. Sakho is the future so it's just about finding the best partner for him.

EDIT: Looks like Saints want 25m for Lovren, you just know were going to pay it as well..

Barcelona and Liverpool agree fee of £63m for Luis Suarez according to reports in Spain.

Luis Suarez will sign a 5 year contract with the Catalan club.

Bye bye Luis :(

According to a Catalan station, all part of the game when negotiating the fee, I have seen about 40 reports of an agreed fee ranging from 55m to 80m...

Until we hear anything from a better source than the Catalan press who say or do whatever Barca want them to do, I wouldn't take much notice.

He will leave just have to be patient on the fee.

63m just doesn't seem enough to me when you see the prices for the likes of Lallana' date=' Lovren and Markovic. Fearful were not going to do enough with this money. New CF now has to be a priority.[/quote']

Suarez is damaged goods and you're being forced to overpay for players as:

a) clubs know you have a mountain of Suarez cash and

B) you're inexplicably signing English players.

It's not 63 mil' date=' it's around 75mil, as that's his buyout clause[/quote']

Buyout clauses are optional for the seller, they don't have to be adhered to if the player wants to leave and the club are happy to sell for a price below it.

I personally would play hardball with Barcelona. As much as I don't like the man, he is a great player and they have no real need to sell him. I would say to Barcelona, there is the price tag - pay it or go away.

I'd rather throw away 60m on Moreno than sign Bertrand.

Enrique is far better than Bertrand' date=' Flanagan did a better job last season there.[/quote']

I would imagine if we sign him Enrique will be our starting LB with Bertrand signed as backup.

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren says that he wants out of St. Marys and wants to complete a move to Liverpool FC.

The Croatian defender is Brendan Rodgers' number one defensive transfer target and last week the Reds had a bid of around £20m turned down by the Saints.

Lovren says he was not informed of that bid, and has told Southampton that amount should be more than enough to let him leave the south coast.

Lovren reportedly told Croatian website Sportske Novosti: "Liverpool sent a 20 million offer and they [southampton] paid nine million for me, so they would've earned twice the amount.

"At this point, I don't know what I'll do and I don't like it. It was unbelievable that a few days ago I had an offer of 20 million pounds. It was in the morning and by the afternoon the club had said I was not for sale. Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool.

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren says that he wants out of St. Marys and wants to complete a move to Liverpool FC.

The Croatian defender is Brendan Rodgers' number one defensive transfer target and last week the Reds had a bid of around £20m turned down by the Saints.

Lovren says he was not informed of that bid' date=' and has told Southampton that amount should be more than enough to let him leave the south coast.

Lovren reportedly told Croatian website Sportske Novosti: "Liverpool sent a 20 million offer and they [southampton'] paid nine million for me, so they would've earned twice the amount.

"At this point, I don't know what I'll do and I don't like it. It was unbelievable that a few days ago I had an offer of 20 million pounds. It was in the morning and by the afternoon the club had said I was not for sale. Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool.

Of course he isn't worth £20m (although the price of CBs has been incredibly inflated this window thanks to PSG). However, Southampton have no need for the money as they're £60m in the black already and they already have a lot of key players to replace.

Valbuena being linked with 8m move to West Ham. Why are we not looking at him for that kind of money? Id rather pay 8m for a proven player than 25m for potential.
If he ends up at West Ham ill cry.

Valbuena being linked with 8m move to West Ham. Why are we not looking at him for that kind of money? Id rather pay 8m for a proven player than 25m for potential.

I think he's an excellent shout for the most underrated player in the world.

That is so wrong from Lovren, what was he thinking. :o

He could help the situation by send the transfer request tho. He seems so desperate to joining us.

Wonder if he would do the same to us, if another big club want to sign him from us, next couple of season.