ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Liverpool FC have agreed a deal to sign Belgium striker Divock Origi from Lille for a fee which could reach £10m.

They are also in advanced talks to sign Serbian winger Lazar Markovic from Sport Lisboa e Benfica for around £25m.

Liverpool FC have agreed a deal to sign Belgium striker Divock Origi from Lille for a fee which could reach £10m.

They are also in advanced talks to sign Serbian winger Lazar Markovic from Sport Lisboa e Benfica for around £25m.

Origi would be a great purchase for 10M. Much like how Chelsea bought Lukaku, I'm pretty sure he'll double your money over the course of the next couple of years if he's deemed surplus to requirements. Can't really say the same for Markovic though. He's a good player, but nowhere near worth his price.

Looks a lot like you've gone the Spurs route. Replace one outstanding player with a ton of average ones. Whilst you definitely needed more of a squad for Europe, I don't think the players you've added are any better than what you've got and you've still not bought to cover your main weakness last season.

Spent an awful lot too.

Looks a lot like you've gone the Spurs route. Replace one outstanding player with a ton of average ones. Whilst you definitely needed more of a squad for Europe' date=' I don't think the players you've added are any better than what you've got and you've still not bought to cover your main weakness last season.

Spent an awful lot too.[/quote']

I agree I for one haven't been too happy about how much we've spent and who we've bought so far but there is a difference between us and Spurs. Spurs tried to buy a whole new lineup whereas we are just adding to what we've already got. When it comes to the first game next season there won't be a whole lot of change to our starting XI as you have to remember with or without Suarez it is a team that just finished 2nd.

Looks a lot like you've gone the Spurs route. Replace one outstanding player with a ton of average ones. Whilst you definitely needed more of a squad for Europe' date=' I don't think the players you've added are any better than what you've got and you've still not bought to cover your main weakness last season.

Completely different to Spurs. We've bought players to help the squad as we had no depth and for the first time we will be in Europe so needed a good amount of players. Realistically only Lallana will be expected to start, the rest apart from Lambert are young and will be there to rotate like Can and potentially Markovic. Before we had luis Alberto, now we have Can. Before we had Moses, now we will have Markovic, players who are better now and have good potential. I don't think we've gone for average players personally, we've just gone for youth and depth. Unless we get Bertrand, then yeah fair enough...

Well, there's not really any £40M+ players who would come here, so we need to buy a couple £20-25M players. Lallana, Markovic and probably Moreno and Lovren. And in addition we'll buy some cheaper ones who replace the awful ones in our team.

There's something I read on Twitter that makes perfect regarding our transfer policy. The players we've bought or have been strongly linked with (Southampton players, Markovic, Sanchez, Shaqiri etc etc) are from teams with a very similar style of play, so they should adapt really well even if they come from abroad. Rodgers is trying to build a team and doesn't necessarily go for the big names as much as players who have proven to be able to play a certain style. This probably explains why we're willing to pay so much for Lovren.

I for one am not delighted with our business so far. Big fan of Lallana but price is massive, Never really seen Markovic but his record is nothing to write home about and yet were going for £20m when Valbuena is available at 8m, sigh. Lovren is decent but nowhere near worth the money were likely to pay for him and not really an improvement on what we have. Still no sign of any new full backs arriving bar Bertrand who I'd rather got stuck in traffic and missed his medical and to top it all off were selling the 3rd best player in the world. Certainly not taken any steps forward as of yet.

It will be interesting to see what happens after we've wrapped up the Markovic and Origi deals (my understanding is that they are both pretty much done) and if we get Lovren or not. The fact that there will still be a month and a half left of the transfer window certainly suggests we aren't going to be done so soon.

I expect with Suarez gone we are going to see the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 a lot more often now, which makes me think we need to look back into getting a star defensive/central mid.

Well' date=' there's not really any £40M+ players who would come here, so we need to buy a couple £20-25M players. Lallana, Markovic and probably Moreno and Lovren. And in addition we'll buy some cheaper ones who replace the awful ones in our team.

There's something I read on Twitter that makes perfect regarding our transfer policy. The players we've bought or have been strongly linked with (Southampton players, Markovic, Sanchez, Shaqiri etc etc) are from teams with a very similar style of play, so they should adapt really well even if they come from abroad. [b']Rodgers is trying to build a team and doesn't necessarily go for the big names as much as players who have proven to be able to play a certain style.[/b] This probably explains why we're willing to pay so much for Lovren.

Big names come with big prices, big prices make big names - it's a parallel system. There is no excuse when any club pays considerably more than what the player in question is worth.

To add to the lunacy, I heard somewhere that this would open the way for Skrtel to leave. Skrtel, really? Your best defender of last season is to be replaced by someone who is nothing special? Madness.

Well' date=' there's not really any £40M+ players who would come here, so we need to buy a couple £20-25M players. Lallana, Markovic and probably Moreno and Lovren. And in addition we'll buy some cheaper ones who replace the awful ones in our team.

There's something I read on Twitter that makes perfect regarding our transfer policy. The players we've bought or have been strongly linked with (Southampton players, Markovic, Sanchez, Shaqiri etc etc) are from teams with a very similar style of play, so they should adapt really well even if they come from abroad. Rodgers is trying to build a team and doesn't necessarily go for the big names as much as players who have proven to be able to play a certain style. This probably explains why we're willing to pay so much for Lovren.[/quote']

This.

Very sensible post and one I agree with.

Are we not learning right now that, as ever, we cannot allow ourselves to be in the Suarez situation in coming seasons? We currently have a player we cannot replace and that is a situation we should not want to repeat.

So we are in the market to improve the team and squad by spreading the cash and not being so reliant on one (Suarez) or two (Suarez and Gerrard) whom will play none and half our league games this season. respectively. Thank god we have the likes of Studge, Sterling, Hendo, Flanno who all stepped up last season but there is no guarantee that all or any of them will continue to progress.

Bottom line, its not like we have a choice here - Suarez is going and we cannot replace him. We have the money but not the qudos of a Real or Messi FC. We have the place for a worldly but there are none available.

So what would you have Rodgers do? I personally think he is showing all the right attitude to transfers - he has identified his targets and we have gone after them early - regardless of the biggest tournament in football happening we have been proactive in the market. No knee jerk "played well in that game against X National side so stick another £10m on his value" chasing, we have gone after players that Rodgers has scouted and or is familiar with from set ups similar to our own. This has to give us confidence.

Even the berating of the proposed Bertrand signing is ridiculous - some of the angst on here about him I wouldn't expect from my 9 year old.

The lad is 24, English, has played in a champions league final, the premiership and at every level for England. I'm not saying he is a world beater and his career has certainly stalled to a degree but there has to be quality there and given Rodgers history with him, he clearly thinks he can get the best from him. So why not back the lad and the manager?

Big names come with big prices' date=' big prices make big names - it's a parallel system. There is no excuse when any club pays considerably more than what the player in question is worth.

To add to the lunacy, I heard somewhere that this would open the way for Skrtel to leave. Skrtel, really? Your best defender of last season is to be replaced by someone who is nothing special? Madness.[/quote']

It's pretty clear, though, that certain players suit different playing styles better than others. We want the players who fit the system the best and therefore it makes sense to go for players who are used to playing the way we do.

For example Lallana is someone who fits our style perfectly. He won the ball back to his team in the final 3rd more than any other player in the league. And that's a pretty significant statistic when you want to build a team who press high up the pitch. Then you add 9 goals and 6 assists, experience in the league & leadership qualities, and he seems like a perfect fit. If you can't get him for the price you want, do you move on to other (weaker) targets or do you pay a couple of millions extra to get the man you really want? Seems like a no-brainer for me, as long as you have the money to do it.

You can argue if Lallana is really the best option but I certainly wouldn't argue with the policy where you slightly overpay to get the player you want rather than get the second best option for cheaper.

Skrtel is horrible and doesn't like playing in a high line. In my opinion Rodgers wants us to become a better pressing side and a high defense line helps a long way in creating a compact unit which is obviously essential for any well pressing team. I've said that I'm not a big fan of Lovren but he does suit our style and if Rodgers thinks he can be a good partner for Sakho, then I won't argue against it.

Some sensible posts from Suso and Eddie impressive stuff, agree with most of it bar Skrtel being horrible (he was our best defender last season) and sorry Bertrand is poo.

The reality is that the world's "superstars" won't be joining us currently yes we could probably afford the fee for a Cuadrado or others but are they that good as to expend our whole budget??

It wouldn't matter what team in the world it is if you lose Suarez you can't replace him, simple as that. The guy is a one-off a genius, a player the type of which I will feel very lucky if I ever see again at Anfield in my lifetime. It is to simplistic to try and get a like for like replacement, there ain't anybody remotely near his standard available and when you consider he was involved in 43% of our goals last season (think about the huge number of goals we scored) that shows what we are losing.

So you have to try and replace him in other ways and Rodgers is smart enough to know what he is trying to implement, and by a further increase in squad depth, ability and ultimately the type of versatile players in Lallana and Markovic that he loves we have to trust him to employ it.

As I have said before on the face of it Markovic's stats do not scream Blimey what a player we have here but Brendon obviously sees something in the lad and Lallana is for me already proven.

People can moan about prices Lallana is at about 25m and Markovic apparently his buyout is 19.8m but that is the market, prices keep increasing and at the end of the day as Suso says if it is the player the manager really wants the board has to back him.

With regards Lovren I can see what Brendon sees in him, he was terrific for the first half of the season probably the best in the PL in the first few months before injury curtailed him for a bit, but he does appear to be a leader, a good communicator (something we desperately lack since Carra left) dominant in the air qualities we have been lacking, again people will moan about price but look at the prices CB'S have gone for lately it is just the way the market has gone.

Origi looking done as well for an initial 6m which for me looks like a cracking bit of business based on what we have seen at the World Cup, although he will head back to Lille on a season long loan apparently.

There's something I read on Twitter that makes perfect regarding our transfer policy. The players we've bought or have been strongly linked with (Southampton players, Markovic, Sanchez, Shaqiri etc etc) are from teams with a very similar style of play, so they should adapt really well even if they come from abroad. Rodgers is trying to build a team and doesn't necessarily go for the big names as much as players who have proven to be able to play a certain style. This probably explains why we're willing to pay so much for Lovren.[/quote']

I'm not sure any of those should be £20-25m players though. I agree with the many who see Lallana as overpriced, Markovic's price has shot up 150% after one season in Portugal (which I can't really comment on his performances in), Moreno's been a regular for one season at Sevilla and Lovren himself doesn't think he's worth that much!

They may pay off, but you're taking an awful lot of gambles when you know you're losing a player of definite quality. A bit more bargain hunting to bring in foreigners under £10-15m, like Can, and then splashing the Suarez cash on a worthy replacement would have been a lower risk venture IMO.

EDIT: And your kits look awful :)

I'm not sure any of those should be £20-25m players though. I agree with the many who see Lallana as overpriced' date=' Markovic's price has shot up 150% after one season in Portugal (which I can't really comment on his performances in), Moreno's been a regular for one season at Sevilla and Lovren himself doesn't think he's worth that much!

They may pay off, but you're taking an awful lot of gambles when you know you're losing a player of definite quality. A bit more bargain hunting to bring in foreigners under £10-15m, like Can, and then splashing the Suarez cash on a worthy replacement would have been a lower risk venture IMO.

EDIT: And your kits look awful :)[/quote']

Just out of interest what striker can we get to replace Suarez that is anywhere near his quality, available and willing to join us???

I'm interested to hear your easy solution??

Il give you a clue....there ain't one.

Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Liverpool paid 26m for a proven goalscorer that on his last 3 season (before joining Liverpool) summed up had almost a goal per game and also proven on his NT like Suarez was, and STILL WAS A GAMBLE.

Lallana for 25m = Very bad. 15m Would have been a more reasonable price.

Markovic for 25m = Very bad. 10 to 15 is more reasonable.

Lovren for 20m = Bad. 10m to 15m due to the inflation on central backs is more reasonable.

Origi for 10 = Very good. A player that seems perfect fit for the EPL and in a very reasonable price.

Just my point of view.

Respuesta: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Just out of interest what striker can we get to replace Suarez that is anywhere near his quality' date=' available and willing to join us???

I'm interested to hear your easy solution??

Il give you a clue....there ain't one.[/quote']

Overpaying for players isnt a solution either.

Suarez is unique and thus he is irreplaceable. Top 3 best players in the world, so even if he was in the best team in the world, only way to replace him is either buy Messi or Ronaldo and still you would lack some of Suarez qualities.

Sanchez was the best option, but he is not available. Who i would consider a player to put instead of Suarez?

-What about Reus? What is his price tag?

-Higuain? Probably a lot, still he plays for an inferior team in an inferior league. -Muller? Probably a lot, tho he will struggle to be on the first team.

-Benzema? If Madrid targets Falcao, Benzema will be available.

-Cavani? PSG paid a huge sum tho he wants to play a central striker role, since Ibra wont leave he might be available.

If the major problem is replace Suarez then whatever money comes in from the sell, can be used to replace him. Even when its hard any of those players mentioned want to join Liverpool (Despite having UCL and been on the race for the title last season...:rolleyes:) still Liverpool could give a try for any of those options (or others), at least is better than overpaying for players with notable lower quality and not proven enough to worth what Liverpool is paying for them imho.

Re: Respuesta: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Overpaying for players isnt a solution either.

Suarez is unique and thus he is irreplaceable. Top 3 best players in the world' date=' so even if he was in the best team in the world, only way to replace him is either buy Messi or Ronaldo and still you would lack some of Suarez qualities.

Sanchez was the best option, but he is not available. Who i would consider a player to put instead of Suarez?

-What about Reus? What is his price tag?

-Higuain? Probably a lot, still he plays for an inferior team in an inferior league. -Muller? Probably a lot, tho he will struggle to be on the first team.

-Benzema? If Madrid targets Falcao, Benzema will be available.

-Cavani? PSG paid a huge sum tho he wants to play a central striker role, since Ibra wont leave he might be available.

If the major problem is replace Suarez then whatever money comes in from the sell, can be used to replace him. Even when its hard any of those players mentioned want to join Liverpool (Despite having UCL and been on the race for the title last season...:rolleyes:) still Liverpool could give a try for any of those options (or others), at least is better than overpaying for players with notable lower quality and not proven enough to worth what Liverpool is paying for them imho.[/quote']

I said realistic....

Re: Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Liverpool paid 26m for a proven goalscorer that on his last 3 season (before joining Liverpool) summed up had almost a goal per game and also proven on his NT like Suarez was' date=' and STILL WAS A GAMBLE.

Lallana for 25m = Very bad. 15m Would have been a more reasonable price.

Markovic for 25m = Very bad. 10 to 15 is more reasonable.

Lovren for 20m = Bad. 10m to 15m due to the inflation on central backs is more reasonable.

Origi for 10 = Very good. A player that seems perfect fit for the EPL and in a very reasonable price.

Just my point of view.[/quote']

Benfica wouldn't let Markovic go for less. Although i think Markovic still didn't proof he's really worth 25M, he's only 20 years old, and from a guy who actually saw him play more than a couple of games, he could very well be a star for Liverpool. I can't wait to see him and Sterling wrecking up PL defenses.

Most of the prices mentioned are inflated, but from we are used to seeing the past years, i don't think those prices are far off. Liverpool couldn't get players of the same quality for much less IMO.