ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Just out of interest what striker can we get to replace Suarez that is anywhere near his quality' date=' available and willing to join us???

I'm interested to hear your easy solution??

Il give you a clue....there ain't one.[/quote']

Of course you're not going to get a striker close to Suarez's ability. Liverpool are still a stepping stone to the elite clubs and most of the top strikers are already at the elite clubs.

Lukaku? I don't think Higuain would be impossible (nor Benzema if Madrid buy). Bony? Rossi? Griezmann? Firmino? Balotelli?

Fair enough, a few gambles in there but all are more proven than the players you're going for and most would be available for less than £40m.

EDIT: Jackson Martinez?

€82 million for Suarez with the sale having been agreed last friday.

I don't really see the problem with the fee's paid for Lallana and Markovic, yes they are on the high side but there very good players.. I think some people need to realise that the market is geared towards high fee's these day's and the majority of the power is in the player and agents hands, not the clubs.

Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I said realistic....

Ofc i might have exagerated a bit with some names... However i believe Liverpool's qualification to the UCL and even more the title race up to the last game that Liverpool mounted pretty much changes your team's reality right now.

Rodgers could be convincing enough to lure a star that might be struggling on his team (Muller, Benzema, Cavani just an example) into become the new key star of a team that will try to compete in both league and UCL.

Tell me something, who would have thought that Ozil would end up in Arsenal? No one.

Liverpool loses a great asset, but if you get a replacement like that keeping the same team (because that is happening) that struggled for the title, could be tempting for any star struggling on his team.

Might not be realistic, yes, but Liverpool does not lose anything trying...

Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Benfica wouldn't let Markovic go for less. Although i think Markovic still didn't proof he's really worth 25M' date=' he's only 20 years old, and from a guy who actually saw him play more than a couple of games, he could very well be a star for Liverpool. I can't wait to see him and Sterling wrecking up PL defenses.

Most of the prices mentioned are inflated, but from we are used to seeing the past years, i don't think those prices are far off. Liverpool couldn't get players of the same quality for much less IMO.[/quote']

Then personally i would offer him my best wishes and he can remain in Benfica for another season to prove he worths that much.

Of course you're not going to get a striker close to Suarez's ability. Liverpool are still a stepping stone to the elite clubs and most of the top strikers are already at the elite clubs.

Lukaku? I don't think Higuain would be impossible (nor Benzema if Madrid buy). Bony? Rossi? Griezmann? Firmino? Balotelli?

Fair enough' date=' a few gambles in there but all are more proven than the players you're going for and most would be available for less than £40m.

EDIT: Jackson Martinez?[/quote']

Liverpool is one of the great clubs formed over many years, not a manufactured one.

Lukaku as if Chelsea would sell to us.

Higuain- only just joined Napoli and vastly overrated anyhow.

Griezmann, Firmino they ain't even strikers and if we are looking to replace a 30 goal a season man with another they come nowhere close.

Bony- his strengths are not the way we play.

Rossi- forget it, nowhere near good enough.

Balotelli- absolute nut job, stay well clear and again not that good.

Better that Rodgers brings in players that play to his philosophy and our style that dramatically alter the whole essence of what he has been looking to do.

Ofc i might have exagerated a bit with some names... However i believe Liverpool's qualification to the UCL and even more the title race up to the last game that Liverpool mounted pretty much changes your team's reality right now.

Rodgers could be convincing enough to lure a star that might be struggling on his team (Muller' date=' Benzema, Cavani just an example) into become the new key star of a team that will try to compete in both league and UCL.

Tell me something, who would have thought that Ozil would end up in Arsenal? No one.

Liverpool loses a great asset, but if you get a replacement like that keeping the same team (because that is happening) that struggled for the title, could be tempting for any star struggling on his team.

Might not be realistic, yes, but Liverpool does not lose anything trying...[/quote']

Muller, Benzema, Cavani are unrealistic end of, my thoughts on them as players are irrelevant.

We might miss out on other targets if we waste weeks pursuing players who are unavaliable and unrealistic.

Re: Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Then personally i would offer him my best wishes and he can remain in Benfica for another season to prove he worths that much.

Of course, but perhaps Rodgers and Liverpool scouts that know one think or two about this things too, saw something on him, that made them pay that much for the player. I can't comment on Lallana's price because i barely seen him play, but from the transfers we usually see between PL clubs, especially for english players, that isn't far off.

They are overpaying, yes they are, but who isn't these days.

Why wouldn't Chelsea sell us Lukaku? They sold us Sturridge :D I think if we stuck 25m on the table and he wanted the move they would have to listen.

You never finished above them in the league when they sold you Sturridge.

Better that Rodgers brings in players that play to his philosophy and our style that dramatically alter the whole essence of what he has been looking to do.

Muller' date=' Benzema, Cavani are unrealistic end of, my thoughts on them as players are irrelevant.

We might miss out on other targets if we waste weeks pursuing players who are unavaliable and unrealistic.[/quote']

The philosophy is very important and the worst possible thing for Liverpool right now would be to try to change that by bringing in a big name that doesn't fit the style of play for the sake of it. Regardless of whether or not the signings are unrealistic there are very few players of the same quality as Suarez. The next best thing is Sanchez who is IMO worth pursuing as he is quality and potentially open to a move but anyone else of that standard is a bit of a pipe dream.

I think the above is key really. It is far better for Liverpool and Rodgers to invest in realistic targets (even if the price is inflated) rather than wasting time and resources pursuing players who will not want the step down. Get your business done ASAP give them a pre-season to settle and see what you can do. The last thing you want is to do a Woodward and Moyes and pursue players who obviously don't want to play for you and end up embarrassing yourselves.

wow' date=' surely that should have been part of the suarez deal?[/quote']

Ive read lots of reports saying that was Barcas plan, but Sanchez snubbed Liverpool, and they cant sign Suarez until the get the money for Sanchez.

Arsenal and Juve are the two teams most likely, we seem to be the favorites.

Mandzukic is a good shout. Dunno if he fits into the syle of Liverpool but he can certainly finish. Would mean Sturridge would mainly be wide though?

We don't need a central forward who's at the level of Mandzukic or Jackson Martinez unless we plan to play with 2 strikers, which I don't think we will. Ideally, we'd buy a striker who can play out wide just as well as centrally. Sadly, there's not many players like that but I know Rodgers is a fan of Rodrigo Moreno (Benfica) and he'd fit the profile I guess.

Gerrard, Henderson & Lallana is our best midfield 3 at the moment, and when Suarez leaves, Sterling, Sturridge & Coutinho is the best front 3 we have. We'll probably buy at least one wide player, meaning Coutinho will drop to the bench and perhaps another one to challenge for Sterling's spot in the starting eleven.

There will be some surprises ahead and I think we'll end up buying players we haven't even been linked with yet.

Riferimento: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

We don't need a central forward who's at the level of Mandzukic or Jackson Martinez unless we plan to play with 2 strikers' date=' which I don't think we will. Ideally, we'd buy a striker who can play out wide just as well as centrally. Sadly, there's not many players like that but I know Rodgers is a fan of Rodrigo Moreno (Benfica) and he'd fit the profile I guess.

Gerrard, Henderson & Lallana is our best midfield 3 at the moment, and when Suarez leaves, Sterling, Sturridge & Coutinho is the best front 3 we have. We'll probably buy at least one wide player, meaning Coutinho will drop to the bench and perhaps another one to challenge for Sterling's spot in the starting eleven.

There will be some surprises ahead and I think we'll end up buying players we haven't even been linked with yet.[/quote']

What about Origi? He will be the alternative to Sturridge I guess ... and Lambert would be 3rd choice

Re: Riferimento: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

What about Origi? He will be the alternative to Sturridge I guess ... and Lambert would be 3rd choice

Origi will apparently go back to Lille for a year if and when we do get him. Origi is still too raw to expect him to have a big impact (at least when he starts games) and apparently us willing to loan him back is a big reason why Lille are willing to sell him to us.

Origi is staying at Lille for the upcoming season on loan.

We don't need a central forward who's at the level of Mandzukic or Jackson Martinez unless we plan to play with 2 strikers' date=' which I don't think we will. Ideally, we'd buy a striker who can play out wide just as well as centrally. Sadly, there's not many players like that but I know Rodgers is a fan of Rodrigo Moreno (Benfica) and he'd fit the profile I guess.

There will be some surprises ahead and I think we'll end up buying players we haven't even been linked with yet.[/quote']

I agree about not needing another world class striker as it seems pretty clear Rodgers likes the 4-3-3 or some sort of variation of it. He tried to fit Sturridge and Suarez both into it at numerous points of the last 2 seasons and it was he used at Swansea prior to moving to us. It's a shame it doesn't seem like we will get Sanchez he fits the profile you've described perfectly.

I personally disagree with Coutinho playing left wing I think he's proven to be far better playing in the middle. Hence at the end of the 2012/13 campaign when Suarez was out and he was playing behind Sturridge we saw some of the best football he's produced whilst he's been here.

For me I think we will cope with the loss of Suarez through the growth of Sterling. What we're seeing at the age of 19 is certainly not the end result and it's quite comforting to know Brendan Rodgers is the man who will be overseeing his development.

And what you've said at the end there I think is very true we're only 8 days into July there's still 2 months ahead a lot is going to happen.

I personally disagree with Coutinho playing left wing I think he's proven to be far better playing in the middle. Hence at the end of the 2012/13 campaign when Suarez was out and he was playing behind Sturridge we saw some of the best football he's produced whilst he's been here.

Oh I agree, Coutinho is better centrally. But if I had to choose our best midfield and attack right now without Suarez, I'd put Lallana in a central role. I can see us making a like-for-like sub with Coutinho replacing Lallana quite often this season.

It's almost certain Rodgers won't go for someone like Mandzukic or Jackson Martinez as it means one of them or Sturridge will be wasted out wide or in the bench and we already have Lambert as option to bring height in the bench. That makes Huntelaar rumour seems odd to me. Actually it makes it very hard to replace Suarez (well,ofc he's irreplacable) as we need someone who's tactically as versatile as Suarez to be able to play behind main striker or leading the frontline. Sanchez obviously can do the job,but he seems out of our hands now. Rodrigo Moreno is a good shout by Suso

After looking some names,i think only few players of this characteristics may be available. Giovani Dos Santos,Jovetic,Vela,Son Heung Min and Muriel are some names from top of my head who fit the characteristics and isn't entirely unavailable

Is it just me that can't get the suggestion of Tevez out of my head?

Whilst not a replacement for Suarez of course, his work rate, hunger, tenacity married with no shortage of desire and skill pus with a chance to stick two fingers up to the whole of Manchester could be inspired.

Equally he could be a destructive handful but.......

That said maybe I just like a hot head South American. (in which case we should be signing Sofia Vergara)

Oh and why is no one talking about Loic Remy? His potential move to Arsenal looks dead, Fernandez is talking up that he will stay at QPR.