ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Ok, hear me out here.

there's still plenty of dealing to be done, I expect players to leave of course but as of pretty much right now (and assuming the "deals" we have on the table complete) our core squad would look like this:-

GoalKeepers

Mignolet

Reina

Defence

Johnson

Sakho

Lovren

Enrique

Flanagan

Skrtl

Agger

Midfield

Gerrard

Henderson

Sterling

Lallana

Markovic

Can

Lucas

Countinho

Allen

Forwards

Sturridge

Lambert

Borini

Now I have to say, that looks really very decent to me. A little "light" up front sure but if we continue to play 433 then look at Lallana, Sterling, Markovic, Countino. I also think that Lambert could be exceptional as the figure head should Studge miss any games (two injuries last year which could be repeated)

As we have all said, we cannot replace Suarez but that looks like an exceptionally good squad as it sits. And it doesn't include the likes of Origi on loan, Kelly, Wisdom etc....

Typing that squad out has genuinely made me realise and appreciate what is being built here. By no means the finished article but just look at the level of technical ability, youth, pace and experience we have blended there. Exciting.

But like I say, more changes to follow.

Ok' date=' hear me out here.

there's still plenty of dealing to be done, I expect players to leave of course but as of pretty much right now (and assuming the "deals" we have on the table complete) our core squad would look like this:-

[b']GoalKeepers[/b]

Mignolet

Reina

Defence

Johnson

Sakho

Lovren

Enrique

Flanagan

Skrtl

Agger

Midfield

Gerrard

Henderson

Sterling

Lallana

Markovic

Can

Lucas

Countinho

Allen

Forwards

Sturridge

Lambert

Borini

Now I have to say, that looks really very decent to me. A little "light" up front sure but if we continue to play 433 then look at Lallana, Sterling, Markovic, Countino. I also think that Lambert could be exceptional as the figure head should Studge miss any games (two injuries last year which could be repeated)

As we have all said, we cannot replace Suarez but that looks like an exceptionally good squad as it sits. And it doesn't include the likes of Origi on loan, Kelly, Wisdom etc....

Typing that squad out has genuinely made me realise and appreciate what is being built here. By no means the finished article but just look at the level of technical ability, youth, pace and experience we have blended there. Exciting.

But like I say, more changes to follow.

Top 4 at best in my opinion. Still wouldn't have covered the areas that was your weakest last year and adding Lovren wont really change that. That added to the fact Suarez who was directly involved in nearly half of your goals and the added pressure of European football I think next season will not be as good in the league.

I'm a big fan of 2 players in each position, so:

4-3-3

Mignolet (Reina)

Johnson (Flanno) - Lovren (Skrtel) - Sakho (Agger) - Enrique (Can)

Gerrard (Lucas)

Henderson (Allen) - Lallana (Coutinho)

Markovic (Aspas) - Sturridge (Lambert) - Sterling (Borini)

4-4-2 diamond

Mignolet (Reina)

Gerrard (Lucas)

Sterling (Markovic)

Lambert (Aspas) - Sturridge (Borini)

That's right there showed we need at least 1 Left back and 1 Forward if all the deal is done (Lovren and Markovic) also not considering few of injury prone players that we have (Sakho, Agger, Gerrard and Sturridge).

Top 4 at best in my opinion. Still wouldn't have covered the areas that was your weakest last year and adding Lovren wont really change that. That added to the fact Suarez who was directly involved in nearly half of your goals and the added pressure of European football I think next season will not be as good in the league.

When losing your best player for quite some time, it was always going to be very tricky to match or improve on last season - a season in which we overachieved.

However the squad is coming together as a top four side in my eyes and when losing Suarez, that has to be the target.

Lots of people comparing us to Spurs and their loss of Bale versus the 234 midfielders they bought with his cash. Bottom line, Spurs dropped 3 points over the season compared to the one before when they had their best player.

If we do the same we would finish on 81 points. I'd take that.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

**EDIT**

Also the average age of that squad? 25.

also not considering few of injury prone players that we have (Sakho' date=' Agger, Gerrard and Sturridge).

[/quote']

Gerrard injury prone? The only thing he is prone to is setting up Chelsea goals.

When losing your best player for quite some time' date=' it was always going to be very tricky to match or improve on last season - a season in which we overachieved.

However the squad is coming together as a top four side in my eyes and when losing Suarez, [b']that has to be the target. [/b]

Lots of people comparing us to Spurs and their loss of Bale versus the 234 midfielders they bought with his cash. Bottom line, Spurs dropped 3 points over the season compared to the one before when they had their best player.

If we do the same we would finish on 81 points. I'd take that.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

That I agree with, 4th is achievable however it will be much harder than last year as I know you played well and I'm not taking that away from you however CL was a lot easier to get last year due to a number of things. David Moyes and his negative ways, a Spurs side that had been thrown together at the start of the season, an Everton side that lacks investment needed to push them over the line and finally Luis Suarez, who only a handful (maybe even as low as 2) of players in World football could replace him, leads me to think 4th is the best you will finish.

Looking at that it is clear to me you are going to be short upfront. Aspas has been underwhelming as has Borini and who knows how Lambert and Markovic will settle. Another signing upfront as well as what you have and I think you have had a good summer. Griezmann could be an option?

Oh I agree' date=' Coutinho is better centrally. But if I had to choose our best midfield and attack right now without Suarez, I'd put Lallana in a central role. I can see us making a like-for-like sub with Coutinho replacing Lallana quite often this season.[/quote']

No way. Lallana should be on left with coutinho in AM position. Coutinho is just too good to be dropped and Sturridge sure wont like it if it happens.

I'm a big fan of 2 players in each position' date=' so:

[center']4-3-3

Mignolet (Reina)

Gerrard (Lucas)

Markovic (Aspas) - Sturridge (Lambert) - Sterling (Borini)

4-4-2 diamond

Mignolet (Reina)

Gerrard (Lucas)

Sterling (Markovic)

Lambert (Aspas) - Sturridge (Borini)

That's right there showed we need at least 1 Left back and 1 Forward if all the deal is done (Lovren and Markovic) also not considering few of injury prone players that we have (Sakho, Agger, Gerrard and Sturridge).

[/center]

I'm surprised you haven't considered a 4-2-3-1 (cliché, I know, but still).

----------------------Mignolet------------------------

-------------Skrtel--------------Sakho---------------

--Johnson--------------------------------Enrique----

---------------Gerrard----Henderson----------------

-------------------------------------------------------

--Lallana------------Coutinho--------------Sterling-

----------------------Sturridge-----------------------

Taking into account that Lallana is a 60-minute player, Markovic would be able to be play in his natural position.

Johnson seems to be the only weak link here ...

One of these reviews:

We knew it was going to be special. 'Prince' Rodgers - there'll only ever be one 'King' - had spent the summer dreaming' date=' imagining, pontificating, thinkulating, dream-re-imaging and hope resurfacing. No longer for 'Daniel San' Brendan, would football be the same. he'd clearly spent the summer of 2013, waxing on, and waxing off his chalk board. Preparing himself to wax lyrical about his new style in front of the adoring Kop. Like Bielsa before him, and Van Gall before him and Cruyff before him and Michels before him and Marquis of Queensbury before him and Ian Botham before him and Plato before him he had found a way to reinvent his sport. To create tactical nuances so fresh, that if you touched them against a newly zested lemon, the lemon itself would hang its head in shame.

At the end, he had a vision. He saw a 'new way'. Like the great French Philosopher Michel Foucaul, he had re-formatted the reality of football as in life. Or Soccer. Or of Football. Per Se. 'Winning' would be a fluid concept. One tested in the minds of the elite. True greatness would instead be in the winning of the hearts and minds. The placement of Liverpool and all of its greatest traditions back at the centre of the footballing family. Point accumulation, and strength in penultimate games would be the measure of the victors only in the minds of the weak. For us, we few, we disparate few. we Kopiaspora, now covering the lands both near and far we KNEW that success, that winning, that ultimate victory would come to us, through the power of our dreams. Literally...In our dreams. Via the mind motorway of dares

This wonderful tome tracks the genesis of Rodgers' revolution. His change in emphasis from a ruddy workmanlike team into pass masters. His development of a totally new technique called 'attacking'. Forged in the mire of Brazillian, Northern Irish, Uruguayan, somewhere in Manchester judging by his accent, and Scouse Steel.

It highlights the return of our weary Warrior Lxxs Sxxxxz - back from his ban for being misunderstood, persecuted and hungry. The ultimate Gladiator for this total, imaginary conquest of the footballing world; he unleashed hell, and some more spittle. It illustrates with poignant poignosity all of the wonderful nights that we again were able to enjoy under those fabled Anfield floodlights. Once more we were to experience the giddiest highs of the 'Famous European Night Experience TM' - whilst not technically a European game, these games were taking place in the European Common Market area and is it not possible to squint the eyes, let them go a bit watery and mistake 'Manchester City' for 'Moenchengladbach'? It is possible...all we had to do was Dare to Dream. With the emphasis on Dream, alongside the twin sisters of fate and purposeful poor vision.[/quote']

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D lol

"No longer for 'Daniel San' Brendan, would football be the same. he'd clearly spent the summer of 2013, waxing on, and waxing off his chalk board. Preparing himself to wax lyrical about his new style in front of the adoring Kop. Like Bielsa before him, and Van Gall before him and Cruyff before him and Michels before him and Marquis of Queensbury before him and Ian Botham before him and Plato before him he had found a way to reinvent his sport. To create tactical nuances so fresh, that if you touched them against a newly zested lemon, the lemon itself would hang its head in shame."

Oh and that L.Suarez No 9 Shirt for sale picture was NOT taken form the Barca club shop but rather from "Futbol Mania" in Barcelona, a bit like the Spanish Sports Direct. So its far from Official and simply a promotional piece by the owner of that chain - likely called Miguel Ashley or sommat

One of these reviews:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D lol

"No longer for 'Daniel San' Brendan' date=' would football be the same. he'd clearly spent the summer of 2013, waxing on, and waxing off his chalk board. Preparing himself to wax lyrical about his new style in front of the adoring Kop. Like Bielsa before him, and Van Gall before him and Cruyff before him and Michels before him and Marquis of Queensbury before him and Ian Botham before him and Plato before him he had found a way to reinvent his sport. To create tactical nuances so fresh, that if you touched them against a newly zested lemon, the lemon itself would hang its head in shame."[/quote']

Haha! Gotta love a Brendism too aint ya.

Top 20:-

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

I've highlighted No 17 as a personal fave.

Gerrard injury prone? The only thing he is prone to is setting up Chelsea goals.

He is even more prone over the years to leaving Evertonians with that disappointed look on there faces when he yet again delivers the goods against the inferior half of Merseyside :)

Looking at that it is clear to me you are going to be short upfront. Aspas has been underwhelming as has Borini and who knows how Lambert and Markovic will settle. Another signing upfront as well as what you have and I think you have had a good summer. Griezmann could be an option?

This is true.

Markovic/Griezmann ain't strikers.

If Sturridge gets injured we could be royally stuffed. Lambert is a back up option and will try his heart out but he is 32 he can only play so many games and not at the level required to really be the main striker for a top side aspiring to trophies and Champions League.

You then look at the bench and see Borini and Aspas.....your heart just sinks...

Who is a very difficult question though that is realistic, available and fits into what we want to do with regards style of play......very very difficult.

One injury to Studge and we are royally bu geared.

This is true.

Markovic/Griezmann ain't strikers.

If Sturridge gets injured we could be royally stuffed. Lambert is a back up option and will try his heart out but he is 32 he can only play so many games and not at the level required to really be the main striker for a top side aspiring to trophies and Champions League.

You then look at the bench and see Borini and Aspas.....your heart just sinks...

Who is a very difficult question though that is realistic' date=' available and fits into what we want to do with regards style of play......very very difficult.

One injury to Studge and we are royally bu geared.[/quote']

You could have had McCormack for £11+ mil :D

You could have had McCormack for £11+ mil :D

Blimey did not even know you still frequented these premises...

As I said on the Championship thread one of the biggest rip off's I have ever seen and people complain about us overpaying :eek:

Blimey did not even know you still frequented these premises...

As I said on the Championship thread one of the biggest rip off's I have ever seen and people complain about us overpaying :eek:

Makes Andy Carroll look an absolute bargain!

And yeah I show my face every now and again...

I'm under impression that he is, actually.

13/14 - 6 games missed (1 injury)

12/13 - 0

11/12 - 15 games missed (3 injuries)

10/11 - 14 games missed (2 injuries)

09/10 - 0

08/09 - 11 games missed (4 injuries)

46 games total in 6 seasons.

Would be same or more than Sturridge.

13/14 - 18 games missed (2 injuries)

12/13 - 14 games missed (2 injuries)

11/12 - 0

10/11 - 0

09/10 - 0

08/09 - 11 games missed (2 injuries)

43 games total in 6 seasons.

I'm under impression that he is' date=' actually.

13/14 - 6 games missed (1 injury)

12/13 - 0

11/12 - 15 games missed (3 injuries)

10/11 - 14 games missed (2 injuries)

09/10 - 0

08/09 - 11 games missed (4 injuries)

46 games total in 6 seasons.

[/quote']

He has had one injury in the last 2 season that is not an injury prone player.

Thanks for Alexis' date=' sugar-lumps.[/quote']

Well lets hope he has the same "impact" :P:p:p as Ozil.....

If he produces performances of equal quality to your "world class" :P:p:p midfielder in Ozil I think we can all rest easy.....

Oh and don't let either of em take a penalty, just a word of advice :)

I'm surprised you haven't considered a 4-2-3-1 (cliché' date=' I know, but still).

----------------------Mignolet------------------------

-------------Skrtel--------------Sakho---------------

--Johnson--------------------------------Enrique----

---------------Gerrard----Henderson----------------

--Lallana------------Coutinho--------------Sterling-

----------------------Sturridge-----------------------

Taking into account that Lallana is a 60-minute player, Markovic would be able to be play in his natural position.

Johnson seems to be the only weak link here ...[/quote']

That's because at the end of last season we tend to play with 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 diamond. Only 4 times we used that 4-2-3-1 approach.

But if we gonna use that formation, I fancy this lineup.

Mignolet (Reina)

Gerrard (Allen) - Lucas (New DM)

Sterling (Markovic) - Henderson (Coutinho) - Lallana (Borini)

Sturridge (Lambert)

And that makes us 1 DM short.

He has had one injury in the last 2 season that is not an injury prone player.

Yeah but you can't overlooked his past even he is getting better by season' date=' especially when his type of injury (groin injury), is a recurrent one.

[/left']