Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I don't support Liverpool' date=' far from it. Also just that the rumours are true that they have a strong interest not that they will buy him.

He has shown he can play as part of a front three with Giroud and Griezmann so i don't see how it would be much different to how Liverpool played with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling up top. In fact he is probably a better fit than most forwards out there in that he could slot into Suarez position quite easily.[/quote']

Their* sorry

He can play in a front 3 but is far more effective centrally. Benzema wouldn't fit into the Suarez role he doesn't have the work rate and technical ability to create the chances etc. Sanchez would have been a much better fit and ironically Benzema would have been better for Arsenal. Funny old world.

Yes huge step backwards my god I hope you're trolling!

How can losing arguably the 3rd best player in the world not be a huge step backwards? He was the best player in the PL last season scored a large amount of your goals and you're going to replace him with Markovic?

Anyone who doesn't think that is a huge step backwards is simply delusional!

That front 3 has lots of pace but it's still far short of being the same standard as last year.

Lol, they have to move on, Suarez is part of the past, and selling him for the right fee was the best thing they've done. There is no player available or willing to join who could directly fill Suarez shoes, so they're trying to improve the squad in the way they can.

Who says Markovic can't become a great player for Liverpool too? I would wait untill i see how liverpool plays to start making statements like that.

Surely Man Utd couldn't make a step backwards since last season, that would be crazy right?

Their* sorry

He can play in a front 3 but is far more effective centrally. Benzema wouldn't fit into the Suarez role he doesn't have the work rate and technical ability to create the chances etc. Sanchez would have been a much better fit and ironically Benzema would have been better for Arsenal. Funny old world.

No problem ;) LOL

I agree that he does play better as a more central forward but i think you underestimate him as a more versatile player. He managed more assists than Suarez last year. Is he as good as Suarez, no not a chance but i think he is the best bet out of what else is out there to play in a front three that includes Sturridge and Sterling.

Lol' date=' they have to move on, Suarez is part of the past, and selling him for the right fee was the best thing they've done. There is no player available or willing to join who could directly fill Suarez shoes, so they're trying to improve the squad in the way they can.

Who says Markovic can't become a great player for Liverpool too? I would wait untill i see how liverpool plays to start making statements like that.

Surely Man Utd couldn't make a step backwards since last season, that would be crazy right?[/quote']

Did last season not happen then? Am I the only person who saw Suarez pretty much single handedly give you a chance at the title?

So what if he's the past the point is a Liverpool without Suarez are taking a monumental step backwards just like United did when they lost Ronaldo etc.

Losing your best player and one of the best in the world is always a step backwards.

If Barcelona sold Messi and replaced him with Markovic would people be considering it a good move? If Real Madrid sold Ronaldo and replaced him with Markovic would it be a good move?

Why should it be any different for Suarez. The simple fact is Suarez was Liverpools best player head and shoulders above anyone else in that squad and losing him represents a big backwards step in their development.

Markovic might be a good player but there is no chance whatsoever he'll be another Suarez who is one of the few truly great Liverpool players in recent years.

I get people are trying to look ahead etc but right now as of this moment Liverpool are in no way stronger and to argue otherwise is ludicrous.

No problem ;) LOL

I agree that he does play better as a more central forward but i think you underestimate him as a more versatile player. He managed more assists than Suarez last year. Is he as good as Suarez' date=' no not a chance but i think he is the best bet out of what else is out there to play in a front three that includes Sturridge and Sterling.[/quote']

He is versatile and capable of playing wide but I just feel he won't offer as much work etc as Suarez who might of assisted less but created more goal scoring chances etc than Benzema.

But then again, we're not replacing Suarez with Markovic. We realise we can't get a like-for-like replacement, so we're buying several players. Was Lamela Bale's replacement? Or Soldado? They strengthened their squad (or at least tried to) like we're going to do.

And Suarez didn't single-handedly give us a shot at the title, even though he was obviously the most important player in the team.

But then again' date=' we're not replacing Suarez with Markovic. We realise we can't get a like-for-like replacement, so we're buying several players. Was Lamela Bale's replacement? Or Soldado? They strengthened their squad (or at least tried to) like we're going to do.

And Suarez didn't single-handedly give us a shot at the title, even though he was obviously the most important player in the team.[/quote']

I said Suarez pretty much single handedly gave you a title shot which is true. He wasn't solely responsible but it was as good as.

If Markovic starts in place of Suarez then he's his replacement in the starting 11. My point isn't that he's a like for like replacement but that currently what you are adding doesn't show progression from Suarez's talent.

Hence you have take a big step backward by losing him. In fact many of you only last week were stating how it would be a huge loss and a big step backward and that you'd never see a player like Suarez in a Liverpool shirt again etc and now he's gone all of a sudden you're improving?

I said Suarez pretty much single handedly gave you a title shot which is true. He wasn't solely responsible but it was as good as.

If Markovic starts in place of Suarez then he's his replacement in the starting 11. My point isn't that he's a like for like replacement but that currently what you are adding doesn't show progression from Suarez's talent.

Hence you have take a big step backward by losing him. In fact many of you only last week were stating how it would be a huge loss and a big step backward and that you'd never see a player like Suarez in a Liverpool shirt again etc and now he's gone all of a sudden you're improving?

Jezz, so in your view there is no progression possible since Suarez departure then, because Liverpool can't get Messi, Ronaldo, Ibra, Bale or Robben for example, those are pretty much the only ones who can show progression or continuity after Suarez.

I think they should close the doors and end the club then.

I agree that they could get different players with the money, but Suarez departure isn't a step back, he helped Liverpool reach were they are, but others will carry on the work. There is no guarantee that he could have another season like the past one, especially with the ban issue.

Jezz' date=' so in your view there is no progression possible since Suarez departure then, because Liverpool can't get Messi, Ronaldo, Ibra, Bale or Robben for example, those are pretty much the only ones who can show progression or continuity after Suarez.

I think they should close the doors and end the club then.

I agree that they could get different players with the money, but Suarez departure isn't a step back, he helped Liverpool reach were they are, but others will carry on the work. There is no guarantee that he could have another season like the past one, especially with the ban issue.[/quote']

No I haven't said that so don't misquote me argue against the points I have made.

I have said Liverpool without Suarez are a much poorer side and so they have taken a backwards step.

I haven't said they can never recover or will never reach the same level but currently they are in a much worse position without their best player. I don't see how this is so hard to understand?

No I haven't said that so don't misquote me argue against the points I have made.

I have said Liverpool without Suarez are a much poorer side and so they have taken a backwards step.

I haven't said they can never recover or will never reach the same level but currently they are in a much worse position without their best player. I don't see how this is so hard to understand?

Simply not true. With the players coming in that fit the philosophy, we are in a better position. We had a thin, weak squad last year lets not forget.

Heard it all before when Torres went.... And his replacement didnt do to bad.

I agree that's a loss for Liverpool, no doubt, but i've been seeing football for quite some time and i saw teams losing good/great players and most of the time it passes unnoticed in the end, but sometimes not, just hoping the latter its not the case of Liverpool.

;2952654']Simply not true. With the players coming in that fit the philosophy' date=' we are in a better position. We had a thin, weak squad last year lets not forget.

Heard it all before when Torres went.... And his replacement didnt do to bad.[/quote']

Torres wasn't as good as Suarez IMO.

We'll see how well you lot do next season without him but I think this is much more wishful thinking than common sense. The only way to do have proven you're in a better this season is to win the league so good luck with that!

I agree that's a loss for Liverpool' date=' no doubt, but i've been seeing football for quite some time and i saw teams losing good/great players and most of the time it passes unnoticed in the end, but sometimes not, just hoping the latter its not the case of Liverpool.[/quote']

See above.

Torres wasn't as good as Suarez IMO.

We'll see how well you lot do next season without him but I think this is much more wishful thinking than common sense. The only way to do have proven you're in a better this season is to win the league so good luck with that!

See above.

i think if you ask most LFC fans here winning the league is far too optimistic. im happy with 4th, any better is improvement again based on the strengthening everyone else has done so far.

Well in the wake of Suarez leaving there's certainly been plenty of rumours of who we will splash the cash on but this one has caught my eye in particular.

SkyBet - Marco Reus to sign for before 2nd September 2014

Liverpool 2/1

Man Utd 5/1

Arsenal 7/1

http://www.skybet.com/football/transfer-specials/event/16683374

Ye I know it's unrealistic blah blah blah save yourself the 3 paragraphs and go get some bacon.

Half expecting that raz guy to go on a massive rant. Can't say no to a bit of a drama on here though.

Well in the wake of Suarez leaving there's certainly been plenty of rumours of who we will splash the cash on but this one has caught my eye in particular.

Liverpool 2/1

Man Utd 5/1

Arsenal 7/1

Ye I know it's unrealistic blah blah blah save yourself the 3 paragraphs and go get some bacon.

Half expecting that raz guy to go on a massive rant. Can't say no to a bit of a drama on here though.

Reus to you lot is definitely unrealistic. He would move' date=' if he ever does to the likes of United, City, or Arsenal, United more realistically.

I know you lot are desperate after the loss of Suarez but Reus would defiantly be a no go. Perhaps going after someone like Nani etc would be more suited for team. [/color']

smileys-confused-731584.gif

Reus to you lot is definitely unrealistic. He would move' date=' if he ever does to the likes of United, City, or Arsenal, United more realistically.

I know you lot are desperate after the loss of Suarez but Reus would defiantly be a no go. Perhaps going after someone like Nani etc would be more suited for team. [/color']

smileys-confused-731584-936166

To be honest right now I think in terms of where both clubs are at I think Nani is far better staying at United lol.

Liverpool 2/1

Man Utd 5/1

Arsenal 7/1

Reus and Lukaku are the two today. How many strikers do you need though? Markovic and Origi are imminent.

Reus and Lukaku are the two today. How many strikers do you need though? Markovic and Origi are imminent.

Origi is going back out on loan for a season and I think he's more likely to replace Ricky Lambert or certainly push him for a spot in the squad when he returns. After the addition of Markovic he and Sterling are our only two proper first team wingers, while both Coutinho and Lallana can play on the left. Ideally once Markovic arrives we want another winger, someone of reasonably high quality who would start ahead of Markovic. Reus is perfect for us even though at this stage it seems as if its just a made up story. If Bony comes Lukaku won't, and it's possible if Swansea are unwilling to sell Bony for the price we want we will move onto Lukaku. All just speculation though.

;2953106']Looking at Jay Rodriguez too....

I'm not too keen on him. Been out injured for a while now and although he was defiantly an exciting player, I'd rather we look at someone with proven top level quality in the champions league etc etc. If we don't we are in big danger of suffering from the lack of quality Suarez brought to the team IMO. Kinda why I'm a little excited by the Reus rumour.

Couple points:-

1. Liverpool are poorer without Suarez in the team

How can anyone say this when we are yet to play with the team set to take us through the season? We aren't better, we aren't poorer, but we are different. Let’s see how that manifests itself. We are already better armed (have to be given we have only brought players in at this stage*) as a squad than last season, whether we have an as good, poorer or better starting 11 is to be seen.

*Suarez couldn't play until November for us regardless so we were always going to be without him for a third of the season. Seem to remember that didn't go too bad for us last season....

2. Suarez cannot be replaced

EXCLUDING his current ban, in his time at Liverpool he has missed almost 1/2 a season due to bans - almost 20% of the games he has been eligible for. We don’t need a goal a game striker we need a 20 goal a season replacement or we need others to step up with a better return – Sterling? Countinho? Lallana ? – and Studge to keep on keeping on.

There cannot be any kind of denial that his goals to games and overall productivity for the team has been exceptional. But has he been more influential for the team than, in there time, Ian Rush? John Aldridge? Kenny? Ian St John? Barnes? Beardsley? Hughes? Souness? Keegan? Fowler? Gerrard? Owen? Torres? I am not comparing these players like for like (obviously) all I am illustrating is that in his time Suarez was an incredible player for us but his time has come and gone. We move on and another top player will emerge - I hope that with the money that new top lad will appear sooner rather than later. At the present we have a number of potentials - Sturridge was last season Golden Boot Runner Up (admittedly with Suarez's help), Sterling began to come to therefore, Hendo looks, hopefully, to be Gerrard MKII, Lallana arrives with huge promise and we continue to be linked to exceptional; talents like Reus. But whether it’s this season, next season or in seasons to come another top talent will appear. We should not be reliant on a single top player anymore than anyone else is – think of a single team that achieves success thanks to ONE player in one of the top associations? Its always been about the team and Liverpool’s aim is to improve the Team to compete 11 vs 11 not build that 11 around a single entity.

I am deadly serious when I say that Liverpool have an opportunity to become better without Suarez than they could ever have been with him.

3. Liverpool cannot repeat last season’s success.

Yes they can. Equally, they may also not. Every season is different and therefore every season’s expectations can be different. But the possibilities always stay the same. If the only negative difference, in my eyes, for Liverpool from last to the new season is the loss of Suarez then I believe the positives of those we have already added and will hopefully be adding will allow us to secure champions league football at the end of the season and, with a little luck, like we had last season, the gap from 4th to 2nd or even first could be closed. Bottom line, anything is possible and in my opinion finishing from 4th no more probable than finishing 2nd. I guess my point is that I genuinely do not understand why some folks have convinced themselves, they are adamant, that we cannot be as successful as last season. It’s a nonsense. We have to build on last season regardless of who goes, why surround ourselves with doubt? Why should we tell ourselves that we cannot? I would expect United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal are all of the belief that the top four is the starting block for the new season and we should be no different. One of that group will be wrong, why should it be us? Just because we are losing our best player? It is and always will be the best team that succeed over a season and regardless of Suarez not being there, I believe we still have the potential to be the best team.

As with everything time will tell and as has been said by more learned men than I (and Brendan) – it’s the hope that kills you!

Tony Barrett better be drunk :(

If your on about this

Liverpool baffled by reports linking them with Marco Reus and insist they've shown no interest in him despite suggestions to the contrary.

I find it amusing how Liverpool fans believed they had a chance of getting Reus.

I find it amusing how you support Everton. Shots fired.B):cool:

I find it amusing how you support a team from a different country:cool::P

Nah but really Reus was never going to sign for Liverpool, I had to laugh yesterday when some lad in work told me about the rumour and the fact that he believed it.