Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

;2952880']i think if you ask most LFC fans here winning the league is far too optimistic. im happy with 4th' date=' any better is improvement again based on the strengthening everyone else has done so far.[/quote']

You said your team has improved though with the sale of Suarez and you finished 2nd in the league. So surely you should be aiming to at least equal that feat with your superior side? :rolleyes:

Based on everyone else around you and the players you have lost Liverpool have taken a huge step backwards. 2nd -> 4th is a big drop (so is 1st to 7th in case anyone tries to get in a United joke).

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic but don't be blind to the obvious!

You said your team has improved though with the sale of Suarez and you finished 2nd in the league. So surely you should be aiming to at least equal that feat with your superior side? :rolleyes:

Based on everyone else around you and the players you have lost Liverpool have taken a huge step backwards. 2nd -> 4th is a big drop (so is 1st to 7th in case anyone tries to get in a United joke).

If we finish 4th, win the FA cup and go to the last 16 of CL, would you call that going backwards?

In any case it's way too soon to say we've taken a step backwards. We've only just sold Suarez, let's wait and see how we actually spend that money.

If we finish 4th' date=' win the FA cup and go to the last 16 of CL, would you call that going backwards?

In any case it's way too soon to say we've taken a step backwards. We've only just sold Suarez, [b']let's wait and see how we actually spend that money[/b].

This, this and a million times this. If you do a Spurs and land £100m+ worth of crap or insist on spending a similar figure on half of Southampton then there's gonna be problems.

Can and Markovic (maybe somewhat overpriced) are good signings and Lallana should be decent (pricetag notwithstanding), plus there will be more to come. It'll be difficult to get more signings at a decent price when it's known that 'Pool have money to burn.

I can see Sturridge scoring in the high 20s this season, he's obviously ready and deserving of being the main man. Squads aren't even confirmed for next season lads.

Couple points:-

1. Liverpool are poorer without Suarez in the team

How can anyone say this when we are yet to play with the team set to take us through the season? We aren't better' date=' we aren't poorer, but we are different. Let’s see how that manifests itself. We are already better armed (have to be given we have only brought players in at this stage*) as a squad than last season, whether we have an as good, poorer or better starting 11 is to be seen.

*Suarez couldn't play until November for us regardless so we were always going to be without him for a third of the season. Seem to remember that didn't go too bad for us last season.... [/quote']

On paper you are far inferior. You haven't brought in anyone who on paper or realisitically can replace him or his contribution last season.

It didn't go too badly for you because you had a fully fit raring to go player available who is world class. Now you have a pile of money. Time will tell but Liverpool without Suarez are weaker and that will be reflected by their league position and points tally (and goals tally) next season.

2. Suarez cannot be replaced

EXCLUDING his current ban' date=' in his time at Liverpool he has missed almost 1/2 a season due to bans - almost 20% of the games he has been eligible for. We don’t need a goal a game striker we need a 20 goal a season replacement or we need others to step up with a better return – Sterling? Countinho? Lallana ? – and Studge to keep on keeping on.

There cannot be any kind of denial that his goals to games and overall productivity for the team has been exceptional. But has he been more influential for the team than, in there time, Ian Rush? John Aldridge? Kenny? Ian St John? Barnes? Beardsley? Hughes? Souness? Keegan? Fowler? Gerrard? Owen? Torres? I am not comparing these players like for like (obviously) all I am illustrating is that in his time Suarez was an incredible player for us but his time has come and gone. We move on and another top player will emerge - I hope that with the money that new top lad will appear sooner rather than later. At the present we have a number of potentials - Sturridge was last season Golden Boot Runner Up (admittedly with Suarez's help), Sterling began to come to therefore, Hendo looks, hopefully, to be Gerrard MKII, Lallana arrives with huge promise [b']and we continue to be linked to exceptional; talents like Reus[/b]. But whether it’s this season, next season or in seasons to come another top talent will appear. We should not be reliant on a single top player anymore than anyone else is – think of a single team that achieves success thanks to ONE player in one of the top associations? Its always been about the team and Liverpool’s aim is to improve the Team to compete 11 vs 11 not build that 11 around a single entity.

I am deadly serious when I say that Liverpool have an opportunity to become better without Suarez than they could ever have been with him.

Liverpool are a good team but with Suarez they were great. Without him you have some very good players but not a single one is world class and all the best teams have splatterings of world class talent in order to be the best you need to keep hold of the best.

All the top teams have one outstanding player that elevates them from average to great (within their own league). Barcelona - Messi, Real Madrid - Ronaldo, PSG - Ibra, Bayern Munich - Ribery/Robben etc

3. Liverpool cannot repeat last season’s success.

Yes they can. Equally' date=' they may also not. Every season is different and therefore every season’s expectations can be different. But the possibilities always stay the same. If the only negative difference, in my eyes, for Liverpool from last to the new season is the loss of Suarez then I believe the positives of those we have already added and will hopefully be adding will allow us to secure champions league football at the end of the season and, with a little luck, like we had last season, the gap from 4th to 2nd or even first could be closed. Bottom line, anything is possible and in my opinion finishing from 4th no more probable than finishing 2nd. I guess my point is that I genuinely do not understand why some folks have convinced themselves, they are adamant, that we cannot be as successful as last season. It’s a nonsense. We have to build on last season regardless of who goes, why surround ourselves with doubt? Why should we tell ourselves that we cannot? I would expect United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal are all of the belief that the top four is the starting block for the new season and we should be no different. One of that group will be wrong, why should it be us? Just because we are losing our best player? It is and always will be the best team that succeed over a season and regardless of Suarez not being there, I believe we still have the potential to be the best team.

As with everything time will tell and as has been said by more learned men than I (and Brendan) – it’s the hope that kills you![/quote']

Liverpool will not get 2nd next season thus will be regressing in the league. Unless your sort your back 4 out you'll feel the loss of Suarez heavily. You're not the best team.

The part of your quote i've made bold isn't a joke its a reality. United went from 1st to 7th even though you kept hold of your star striker (Van Persie).

Every post you've written on this thread in the past couple of days has basically said the same thing, that we'll be worse than we were with Suarez in the team. The fact that you mention people are being blind to the obvious makes me wonder how closely you pay attention to football.

Teams win trophies not star players on their own, and the reason why Liverpool supporters are so optimistic at the moment (even though we've sold our best player) is because we have an outstanding manager who gets the team playing better than the sum of its parts.

From where we were under our previous owners to where we are now in such a short space of time is truly remarkable. I think only people from outside the club and fan base would put that rise down to Suarez.

On paper you are far inferior. You haven't brought in anyone who on paper or realisitically can replace him or his contribution last season.

It didn't go too badly for you because you had a fully fit raring to go player available who is world class. Now you have a pile of money. Time will tell but Liverpool without Suarez are weaker and that will be reflected by their league position and points tally (and goals tally) next season.

Without Suarez - banned for the Ivanovic bite - at the end of season 2012/13 Liverpool visited Newcastle United and won 6-0' date=' Sturridge was on the scoresheet twice. Other games included a 0-0 draw with Everton, a 3-1 win against Fulham where Sturridge grabbed a hat-trick, and a final day 1-0 win against Queens Park Rangers. At the start of season 2013/14 - still without Suarez as he continued his ban, Liverpool went top of the league. During his time without Suarez Daniel Sturridge scored and created more chances. He wasn't as clinical (shots to goals) but thrived as the main man.

So no, we didn't play well, go top of the league, have player of the month and finish and begin season back to back seasons because Suarez was coming back. We did so because even without Suarez we have a very decent side.

Incidentally only Arsenal out performed us, marginally, over the period Suarez was out for biting Ivanovic. So that's Liverpool over a sustained period without Suarez out performing Chelsea, Man U, City etc.

Liverpool are a good team but with Suarez they were great. Without him you have some very good players but not a single one is world class and all the best teams have splatterings of world class talent in order to be the best you need to keep hold of the best.

All the top teams have one outstanding player that elevates them from average to great (within their own league). Barcelona - Messi, Real Madrid - Ronaldo, PSG - Ibra, Bayern Munich - Ribery/Robben etc

So comparing us to the 4 most successful teams on the planet with the richest talent - is it surprising we come off second best. Are you seriously saying that Barca without Messi, Real without Ronaldo, PSG without Ibra an Bayern without the either of the two R's would drop to seventh (Only a tiny dig there) in their respective leagues? And that they wouldn't compete in the Champions League? NONE of the teams you have mentioned rely SOLEY on the one player you have named - not one of them. None of them put there eggs in one basket, the teams that you have named boast somewhere in the region of, what, 30 of the best 50 players on the planet. In other words they are amongst the best teams in world football. That's teams. Without the players you have mentioned each team would not drop to good from great. You've basically illustrated my point.

Liverpool will not get 2nd next season thus will be regressing in the league. Unless your sort your back 4 out you'll feel the loss of Suarez heavily. You're not the best team.

Its the "absolute 100% nailed on regression" you seem determined to be "fact" before a ball has even been kicked that gets me. You are totally convinced, probably as convinced that United will regain a Champions League place, that makes me think you are simply fishing. I got news for you mate - YOU DONT KNOW. You only think you do.

I am not claiming we will go on to be the Best team in England. All I am saying is we have as good a chance as anyone. Yet you are convinced we cant and in truth to be so adamant makes you appear as the blinkered one eyed united fan many of us have become used to over the years.

Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Just a few thoughts...

Cavani requested to be transferred to the EPL. While still inferior compared with Suarez, could become a good replacement and while it should be a high cost would still be less than what Liverpool received for Suarez. Ofc, that other teams would compete for Cavani but Suarez himself could influence Cavani to sign for the Reds if there is a real interest.

On a side note... Knowing the lack of a good central back, Vlaar proved this world cup to have what it takes to be in a top team, and clearly he has what Liverpool lacks of in their center backs. Should also be cheaper than Lovren.

Re: Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

The part of your quote i've made bold isn't a joke its a reality. United went from 1st to 7th even though you kept hold of your star striker (Van Persie).

I know it's a fact but it's currently not relevant and I knew someone would bring it up. I'm just spoiling your fun.

Every post you've written on this thread in the past couple of days has basically said the same thing' date=' that we'll be worse than we were with Suarez in the team. The fact that you mention people are being blind to the obvious makes me wonder how closely you pay attention to football.

[b']Because you all seem to believe that you're stronger without Suarez? How can you be a stronger side without your best player by a mile?[/b]

Teams win trophies not star players on their own, and the reason why Liverpool supporters are so optimistic at the moment (even though we've sold our best player) is because we have an outstanding manager who gets the team playing better than the sum of its parts.

Yes teams do win trophies which is why Liverpool haven't won anything for a while but under Brendan Rodgers you have a great manager who could build a great side. The only problem is the one truly great player you had is now plying his trade in Spain so you'll be waiting a little longer. I'm in no way criticising Brendan Rodgers who has been fantastic in developing your players but none of them look to have anywhere near the ability of Suarez. So at least for this season you have regressed. I'm not saying Liverpool will never do well again but currently this coming season I feel you will suffer the loss of Suarez.

From where we were under our previous owners to where we are now in such a short space of time is truly remarkable. I think only people from outside the club and fan base would put that rise down to Suarez.

It is remarkable and something to be incredibly proud of. Suarez isn't the whole reason you had a great season but he was a defining factor. Take away Suarez's impact and you wouldn't be challenging for the title. Your team has progressed under Rodgers and so did Suarez but losing your best player will not make you stronger or more difficult to play. You get that from adding better players which currently (while you have improved the squad with Can, Lallana, Markovic, Origi lined up) you have not done in your first team.

Without Suarez - banned for the Ivanovic bite - at the end of season 2012/13 Liverpool visited Newcastle United and won 6-0' date=' Sturridge was on the scoresheet twice. Other games included a 0-0 draw with Everton, a 3-1 win against Fulham where Sturridge grabbed a hat-trick, and a final day 1-0 win against Queens Park Rangers. At the start of season 2013/14 - still without Suarez as he continued his ban, Liverpool went top of the league. During his time without Suarez Daniel Sturridge scored and created more chances. He wasn't as clinical (shots to goals) but thrived as the main man.

[b']Sturridge lead the line brilliantly without Suarez I'm not contesting that. What I am saying is that the Liverpool side with Suarez were more consistant, more threatening, more enjoyable to watch and generally better. There are always the odd off games but Suarez enabled Liverpool to perform poorly at the back and still win games due to his goalscoring and creative abilities.

Sturridge is a player who can pick up a knock and you cannot rely on him to be a 30+ goal striker and stay fit all season especially when he's no longer being supported by a world class team mate. Look at Sturridge for England vs Sturridge for Liverpool and my point is proven. While Sturridge is an excellent striker he will suffer from not being alongside a world class one too. In order to be successful you need to surround yourselves with quality and Liverpool have lost their best asset.[/b]

So no, we didn't play well, go top of the league, have player of the month and finish and begin season back to back seasons because Suarez was coming back. We did so because even without Suarez we have a very decent side.

A decent side yes, not a great one which is what Suarez made you. Any team can have a run of form but what was shown is that you need consistency to be successful. The best players (Suarez) give teams that consistency in terms of performance.

Incidentally only Arsenal out performed us, marginally, over the period Suarez was out for biting Ivanovic. So that's Liverpool over a sustained period without Suarez out performing Chelsea, Man U, City etc.

So comparing us to the 4 most successful teams on the planet with the richest talent - is it surprising we come off second best. Are you seriously saying that Barca without Messi, Real without Ronaldo, PSG without Ibra an Bayern without the either of the two R's would drop to seventh (Only a tiny dig there) in their respective leagues? And that they wouldn't compete in the Champions League? NONE of the teams you have mentioned rely SOLEY on the one player you have named - not one of them. None of them put there eggs in one basket, the teams that you have named boast somewhere in the region of, what, 30 of the best 50 players on the planet. In other words they are amongst the best teams in world football. That's teams. Without the players you have mentioned each team would not drop to good from great. You've basically illustrated my point.

Barca without Messi would suffer immensely but the Spanish league is weak bar 3 teams now. I'm comparing you with the best to illustrate a point not for one second do I think you're the best ;) I am a United fan after all :P.

All of those teams rely on those players to perform consistently so that when the less able/ godlike players do not perform they can rely on them.

The point you raise about the teams is valid and in line with what I am trying to say. A team needs top quality players to be the most successful and Liverpool had one of those players but have now lost them. Liverpool now don't have the kinds of players a real top class side should have and have weakened themselves by selling Suarez. The team is important yes, and having top quality players in your team is doubley so!

Its the "absolute 100% nailed on regression" you seem determined to be "fact" before a ball has even been kicked that gets me. You are totally convinced, probably as convinced that United will regain a Champions League place, that makes me think you are simply fishing. I got news for you mate - YOU DONT KNOW. You only think you do.

I firmly believe Liverpool will not perform as well next season as they did this one. I am not convinced United will get a champions league spot either I think it's going to be tight with City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and United all trying for top 4.

The only certainty in life is that nothing is certain but mark my words. Liverpool will not perform better than they did last season.

I am not claiming we will go on to be the Best team in England. All I am saying is we have as good a chance as anyone. Yet you are convinced we cant and in truth to be so adamant makes you appear as the blinkered one eyed united fan many of us have become used to over the years.

In order to improve on a 2nd place finish in the PL you need to be the best team!

You have as good a chance as anyone of making top 4 but without Suarez anything greater is a pipe dream.

Put it this way, say Liverpool kept Suarez and added Markovic, Lallana, Can, Origi and Lovren (all reported targets) you would be genuinely thinking that a potential top 2/3 is on the cards maybe even title but when you remove Suarez how many of you genuinely believe that is possible?

Just a few thoughts...

Cavani requested to be transferred to the EPL. While still inferior compared with Suarez' date=' could become a good replacement and while it should be a high cost would still be less than what Liverpool received for Suarez. Ofc, that other teams would compete for Cavani but Suarez himself could influence Cavani to sign for the Reds if there is a real interest.

On a side note... Knowing the lack of a good central back, Vlaar proved this world cup to have what it takes to be in a top team, and clearly he has what Liverpool lacks of in their center backs. Should also be cheaper than Lovren.[/quote']

Cavani wouldn't want to be placed on the wing though (the whole reason he'd potentially leave PSG is based on this) so I can't see it happening. He's a very good player though.

As for Vlaar I must admit his WC performances have impressed me a lot to the point where I'd be potentially open to him joining United (though utter it quietly).

Liverpool do need to add to their CB's and Lovren (though expensive) would be a good choice IMO.

I would like to point out on a separate note that I do think Liverpool can do well next season I just don't think they'll do as well without Suarez. That is the point I've been trying to make that people have taken such issue with. I'm not bashing Liverpool as a whole I'm just stating how I feel. I have enjoyed this hearty debate though which has brought up some good points from all you guys without resorting to name calling etc which is nice to see and be a part of on the forum!

All the top teams have one outstanding player that elevates them from average to great (within their own league). Barcelona - Messi' date=' Real Madrid - Ronaldo, PSG - Ibra, Bayern Munich - Ribery/Robben etc[/quote']

The example you use here actually makes the point we're getting at. You talk about Barcelona with Messi and Real with Ronaldo elevating them to 'great' status within their own league, yet neither of those teams won the Spanish league. In fact it was Atletico who won the league having sold their best player (Falcao) last summer.

The example you use here actually makes the point we're getting at. You talk about Barcelona with Messi and Real with Ronaldo elevating them to 'great' status within their own league' date=' yet neither of those teams won the Spanish league. In fact it was Atletico who won the league having sold their best player (Falcao) last summer.[/quote']

What is the point you're getting at? You've lost 31 league goals and 12 assists over a 33 game period, that is not easy to get back, are Liverpool better for this according to the fans?

Re: Respuesta: Official Liverpool Thread

Ben, firstly I agree that as of this very moment we have taken a backwards step but it's sort of pointless to say that now when we've got a huge amount of money to use so it's impossible to say what our team is going to look like at the start of the season. More often than not, clubs buy players late in the window who they weren't even linked with in June/July, so we really can't possibly know how strong our team is going to be.

Something that I don't necessarily agree with is what you say about Sturridge. Firstly you compare Sturridge for Liverpool (with Suarez) to Sturridge for England (without Suarez) but there's obviously a lot of other factors than just Suarez, Rodgers vs Hodge for example. And Sturridge had a fantastic understanding with Coutinho, too, so it wasn't all just Suarez and Sturridge.

Have a look at Sturridge's stats with and without Suarez in the last 2 seasons from this article:http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/11/ib-how-will-sturridge-perform-without-suarez-by-his-side-at-live/They're relatively small sample sizes but certainly don't show that Sturridge is weaker without Suarez. Sturridge can be the main man and score 25+ if he stays fit. Big if but anyway, Sturridge will be great even without him.

What is the point you're getting at? You've lost 31 league goals and 12 assists over a 33 game period' date=' that is not easy to get back, are Liverpool better for this according to the fans?[/quote']

Depends whether you're seeing Liverpool the first team or Liverpool the squad.

The first team

• Obviously much weaker without Suarez, although Liverpool did cope rather well without him last season.
  • Current signings don't nearly account for the loss. In fact, I wouldn't say that any are guaranteed starters over what you had last season.
  • Despite the need to improve the depth, the first team has to remain good enough to get into the top 4 again. CL football will make the squad more fragile and United are strengthening heavily.

The squad

• Prior to this window, Liverpool lacked any real quality depth. Investing the Suarez funds in that would be worthwhile.
  • A squad is necessary for a European campaign. Not just the extra games, but the added potential for injury in those games.

I think it's a very fragile equilibrium. The first team needs to be strong enough to finish in the top 4 and the depth needs to be good enough and deep enough to cover the likely injuries picked up in the extra games.

Another top 4 finish would be a good season for Liverpool IMO. Means one very strong squad will miss out from City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United.

Respuesta: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Overpaying for players isnt a solution either.

Suarez is unique and thus he is irreplaceable. Top 3 best players in the world' date=' so even if he was in the best team in the world, only way to replace him is either buy Messi or Ronaldo and still you would lack some of Suarez qualities.

Sanchez was the best option, but he is not available. Who i would consider a player to put instead of Suarez?

-What about [b']Reus[/b]? What is his price tag?

-Higuain? Probably a lot, still he plays for an inferior team in an inferior league. -Muller? Probably a lot, tho he will struggle to be on the first team.

-Benzema? If Madrid targets Falcao, Benzema will be available.

-Cavani? PSG paid a huge sum tho he wants to play a central striker role, since Ibra wont leave he might be available.

If the major problem is replace Suarez then whatever money comes in from the sell, can be used to replace him. Even when its hard any of those players mentioned want to join Liverpool (Despite having UCL and been on the race for the title last season...:rolleyes:) still Liverpool could give a try for any of those options (or others), at least is better than overpaying for players with notable lower quality and not proven enough to worth what Liverpool is paying for them imho.

So... yeah.

Respuesta: Re: Official Liverpool Thread

This Reus story is created out of nothing' date=' i won't get my hopes up. It'll be unreal signing if it happens but so far it looks both clubs haven't made any contact so i wonder how the news come from.[/quote']

Its published on The Guardian, wonder where it came from too however... Its a fact that Liverpool loses nothing in trying... The money is there, the competitions are there, Liverpool is a big club and could/should try to lure a star into joining.

What i can assure you is that no star is going to arrive unless Liverpool tries.

The example you use here actually makes the point we're getting at. You talk about Barcelona with Messi and Real with Ronaldo elevating them to 'great' status within their own league' date=' yet neither of those teams won the Spanish league. In fact it was Atletico who won the league having sold their best player (Falcao) last summer.[/quote']

Yes because Messi and Ronaldo haven't helped their clubs at all this season...

Come off it mate when you're arguing that Messi and Ronaldo aren't elevating their teams you know you're flogging a dead horse. Real Madrid beat Atletico Madrid and won the Champions league I wonder what they'd prefer?

Barcelona have previously been dominating all of world football thanks to Lionel Messi's record breaking seasons so you have no leg to stand on there.

Ben' date=' firstly I agree that as of this very moment we have taken a backwards step but it's sort of pointless to say that now when we've got a huge amount of money to use so it's impossible to say what our team is going to look like at the start of the season. More often than not, clubs buy players late in the window who they weren't even linked with in June/July, so we really can't possibly know how strong our team is going to be.

[b']Finally someone has realised I just mean at this moment in time and not forever!

My point is even with the money there isn't anything available to replace Suarez so you are weaker. Your squad might improve but your team is weaker due to losing such a great player because all the squad players in the world won't win you games like Suarez can, with respect to Lallana etc they are not game changers on a consistant basis to his level and while they are nice additions to a squad they won't be causing problems to the best like Suarez could.[/b]

Something that I don't necessarily agree with is what you say about Sturridge. Firstly you compare Sturridge for Liverpool (with Suarez) to Sturridge for England (without Suarez) but there's obviously a lot of other factors than just Suarez, Rodgers vs Hodge for example. And Sturridge had a fantastic understanding with Coutinho, too, so it wasn't all just Suarez and Sturridge.

Thing is you look at Sturridge for England and he has Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Lallana, Johnson etc and isn't the same as with Suarez. Admittedly there are more then just those factors but the majority of the England side is from Liverpool.

The thing is while I rate Sturridge as a very good striker he has been greatly aided by Suarez's genius. The great players not only make themselves look good but also those around them.

Have a look at Sturridge's stats with and without Suarez in the last 2 seasons from this article:http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/11/ib-how-will-sturridge-perform-without-suarez-by-his-side-at-live/They're relatively small sample sizes but certainly don't show that Sturridge is weaker without Suarez. Sturridge can be the main man and score 25+ if he stays fit. Big if but anyway, Sturridge will be great even without him.

I'm not saying Sturridge won't do a good job for you but overall I feel your team will miss Suarez's contributions and the most obvious position that will suffer is the attacking 3rd which last season for Liverpool was vital to their 2nd place finish as they could not rely on their defence.

The other factor is the increased pressure now on Sturridge. He's the main man and injury to him means that the next best is Lambert whereas previously Suarez and Sturridge could play together and provide a threat or one could be out and you'd still have a very good attack.

Depends whether you're seeing Liverpool the first team or Liverpool the squad.

The first team

• Obviously much weaker without Suarez' date=' although Liverpool did cope rather well without him last season.
    [*']Current signings don't nearly account for the loss. In fact, I wouldn't say that any are guaranteed starters over what you had last season.
  • Despite the need to improve the depth, the first team has to remain good enough to get into the top 4 again. CL football will make the squad more fragile and United are strengthening heavily.

The squad

• Prior to this window, Liverpool lacked any real quality depth. Investing the Suarez funds in that would be worthwhile.
  • A squad is necessary for a European campaign. Not just the extra games, but the added potential for injury in those games.

I think it's a very fragile equilibrium. The first team needs to be strong enough to finish in the top 4 and the depth needs to be good enough and deep enough to cover the likely injuries picked up in the extra games.

Another top 4 finish would be a good season for Liverpool IMO. Means one very strong squad will miss out from City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. The Liverpool first team hasn't improved with any of the additions but the squad has but the whole team would be better off with Suarez still there.

Of course Stu you are forgetting the key point though that according to most Liverpool fans on this thread Champions League football won't effect their ability to cope in the league or cause more injuries so investing in the squad is pointless.

Liverpool had no choice in the Suarez sale he had to go it was just a question of for how much and they are reinvesting in the squad which is good to see but they are still yet to sign any player worthy of even attempting to replace Suarez's quality and IMO the best player to do that has already left for Arsenal.

The other factor is the increased pressure now on Sturridge. He's the main man and injury to him means that the next best is Lambert whereas previously Suarez and Sturridge could play together and provide a threat or one could be out and you'd still have a very good attack.

Again, that's the situation at the moment but it's likely to change. Been linked to Bony & Remy in the past few days.

Just cause I'm bored..

my fantasy XI for next season!

Mignolet

Aurier -- I.Martinez--Sakho--Coentrao

----------Henderson-Gerrard----------

----------------Coutinho---------------

Sterling-------Sturridge------Draxler

Ye look I know it's not something that is gonna happen but that's why it's a fantasy team. Obviously there's better players that can be put in their but I've tried to keep slightly realistic. Aurier isn't a PSG player yet!!;)

Just cause I'm bored..

my fantasy XI for next season!

Mignolet

Aurier -- I.Martinez--Sakho--Coentrao

----------Henderson-Gerrard----------

----------------Coutinho---------------

Sterling-------Sturridge------Draxler

Ye look I know it's not something that is gonna happen but that's why it's a fantasy team. Obviously there's better players that can be put in their but I've tried to keep slightly realistic. Aurier isn't a PSG player yet!!;)

so basically all our buys to date not in the team :P

Now I am not necessarily of the opinion that we should make Bony a priority signing but here’s some interesting reading:-

I’ve highlighted each stat “Top Performer” in red for your pleasure.

Player…………………………..Bony………………….Benzema……………..Balotelli……………..Origi

Club…………………………….Swansea……………..Real Madrid………..AC Milan…………….Lille

Games………………………...34………………………35………………………..30………………………29

Minutes………………………..2470………………….2753…………………….2294………………….1197

Per 90 Mins:

Passes

Attempted ….........…….29.99………………..26.74…………………..24.36…………………..26.39

Passes

Successful ……..........….22.19………………..21.90…………………..17.58…………………..20.60

Forward Passes…………..15.05………………..14.02…………………..13.65…………………..12.03

Goals Scored………………..0.58…………………..0.56…………………….0.55…………………….0.38

Headed………………………...0.18…………………..0.13…………………….0.04…………………….0.08

Inside Area…………………..0.51…………………..0.49…………………….0.31…………………….0.23

Penalties……………………...0.15…………………..0.00……………………..0.12……………………0.00

From Crosses……………….0.04…………………..0.00…………………….0.00…………………….0.00

Aerial Duals Won………...3.72…………………..0.75…………………….0.75…………………….1.73

Clearances…………………...2.62……………………0.36…………………….0.98…………………….0.38

Blocks…………………………..0.26……………………0.10…………………….0.12…………………….0.00

Nothing if not interesting.

in fact more nothing than interesting - stats can illustrate anything really cant they.

So basically a waste of time. At least the formatting's pretty much in line tho, so every cloud an all that!