Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

It is and he's absolutely spot on.

Really? Never noticed that.

He should learn that trick from Sterling' date=' certainly will benefit him more.

Tony Barrett has confirmed we have approached Samuel Eto'o

How depressing :rolleyes:

Don't want him too.

He would spend most of his time on bench and his wages would be enormous. Should spend his signing on fee and wages on someone permanent rather than another stop gap, we already have Lambert for that.

Give it time, someone one will pop-up in this windows.

Tried to keep Suarez (£80m player)

Went in for Sanchez (£30m player)

Went in for Benzema (£20m + player)

Went in for Remy (£8m but worth more surely)

Poked around Swansea for Bony (£20m Striker)

Enquired about Falcao (worldy)

Sniffed out Cavani (another worldy)

Likely to bring in 33 year old Eto'o on a free and on mega wage.

All that money, all that opportunity and we (potentially, windows still open) end up with an old man earning loads of cash but without the scoring ratio in the prem of our other old man (Lambo).

Seriously, if someone had said to you in March that Suarez would leave for £75m and would be replaced by 32 year old Lambert, 33 year old Eto'o and the return of Fabio Borini - would you have believed it?

All that money' date=' all that opportunity and we (potentially, windows still open) end up with an old man earning loads of cash but without the scoring ratio in the prem of our other old man (Lambo).

Seriously, if someone had said to you in March that Suarez would leave for £75m and would be replaced by 32 year old Lambert, 33 year old Eto'o and the return of Fabio Borini - would you have believed it?[/quote']

A good Champions league quality forward is needed , it feels like they sold Suarez without thinking about how to replace him at all.

The forward links aren't too exciting at the moment, I must say. Falcao and Cavani are overpriced and/or overrated so I wouldn't want either. Eto'o isn't that good but then again we'd be buying him knowing he'll be here only a season and hopefully by then Origi will be good enough to play second fiddle to Sturridge. But still you'd hope we can get someone better. Bony is the best/most realistic striker we've been linked with and with him you're basically guaranteed to get goals but of course he isn't perfectly suited to us.

I'd be very happy if we ended the window with Moreno and Bony.

Here's a question for you: How many players are there who we could realistically sign who would displace Sterling, Sturridge or Coutinho from the starting lineup? Imo Bony wouldn't get to the starting lineup and neither does Lallana if Coutinho hits the ground running.

Really? Never noticed that.

He should learn that trick from Sterling' date=' certainly will benefit him more.

[/quote']

Yeah, Allen is very, very good at it. As is Sterling like you said.

with regards to your forwards id be happy to not see you sign anybody if it meant saving money and not wasting it.

i know you came close to winning the league last year but i think this year realistically as long as you get champions league football again, considering the extra drain it will put on your team having it this year it will be a success.

hopefully the current squad will be upto standard to finish in the top 4.

after the recent years thats the most important thing, and then maybe next year see who is available, new kid who has developed etc and spend big then.

i just think, i may be wrong so feel free to correct me i'm getting your opinions really, that the most important thing this year is not to let fixture congestion etc get you removed from top 4 and then it would be better to spend wisely next year then just desperately blow it this year.

A good Champions league quality forward is needed ' date=' it feels like they sold Suarez without thinking about how to replace him at all.[/quote']

Maybe look towards doing a deal with Napoli involving Higuain, although recent paper reports are saying he's happy there at the moment.

Here's a question for you: How many players are there who we could realistically sign who would displace Sterling' date=' Sturridge or Coutinho from the starting lineup? Imo Bony wouldn't get to the starting lineup and neither does Lallana if Coutinho hits the ground running.

[/quote']

Sturridge is irreplacable as i doubt we'll sign better striker than him. I really want us to try to sign Lacazette or Volland though. They are happy to play wide and can be backup for Sturridge. Sterling spot is safe at the moment and with Coutinho have good preseason,it'll be hard for Lallana to get a spot in first team. I have high hopes on Markovic though. Can too will be excellent partner for Henderson and could be bargain of the season. I guess in the long term or even sometime this season,something like this will be used

Henderson-Can;

Sterling---Coutinho---Markovic;

Sturridge

Both Henderson and Can have power and stamina to cover the ground and this will mean Coutinho able to play in no 10 role

I'd be very happy if we ended the window with Moreno and Bony.

Here's a question for you: How many players are there who we could realistically sign who would displace Sterling' date=' Sturridge or Coutinho from the starting lineup? Imo Bony wouldn't get to the starting lineup and neither does Lallana if Coutinho hits the ground running.

.[/quote']

I like the phrasing of your question but surely we aren't trying to throw the baby out with the bath water - we aren't looking to displace any of them but merely cover them for the 30/40% of matches they will miss (either through resting, suspension or most likely injury).

Now with that said, a "marquee" forward may be overkill (although didn't seem to be a problem last year with Suarez there, admittedly without a Lallana hole to fill, oo-er) and Origi may well be the man in a years time but having been linked with some exciting prospects - some more exciting than others obviously - it is massively underwhelming to be linked to, what is effectively, an aged mercenary filling the gap. ( I imagine that sounds massively arrogant as a Liverpool fan given what Eto'o has won in the game, but this isn't a reflection of him and more a reflection of the club).

I don't see the value in, what, a years contract plus sign on fee (likely to be under the £100k he has been rumoured to be touting at so lets say £80k a week for the 8 months plus £1m sign on he'll cost somewhere near £3.8m with no resale value retained, no investment). Apply that same "value" over 4 years and its over £15m. I appreciate that Eto'o wouldn't be a signing for more than year but if we went into the market for a Shaquiri for instance then surely he would be wiser investment over 4 years than Eto'o over 1?

I like the phrasing of your question but surely we aren't trying to throw the baby out with the bath water - we aren't looking to displace any of them but merely cover them for the 30/40% of matches they will miss (either through resting' date=' suspension or most likely injury).

Now with that said, a "marquee" forward may be overkill (although didn't seem to be a problem last year with Suarez there, admittedly without a Lallana hole to fill, oo-er) and [b']Origi may well be the man in a years time[/b] but having been linked with some exciting prospects - some more exciting than others obviously - it is massively underwhelming to be linked to, what is effectively, an aged mercenary filling the gap. ( I imagine that sounds massively arrogant as a Liverpool fan given what Eto'o has won in the game, but this isn't a reflection of him and more a reflection of the club).

I don't see the value in, what, a years contract plus sign on fee (likely to be under the £100k he has been rumoured to be touting at so lets say £80k a week for the 8 months plus £1m sign on he'll cost somewhere near £3.8m with no resale value retained, no investment). Apply that same "value" over 4 years and its over £15m. I appreciate that Eto'o wouldn't be a signing for more than year but if we went into the market for a Shaquiri for instance then surely he would be wiser investment over 4 years than Eto'o over 1?

I think that the bolded is the exact reason behind your reported interest in Eto'o.

Why waste £20m+ on a top striker now when you can bring in someone incredibly experienced for no fee like Eto'o for one season and then look to utilise Origi in the next once he's more developed.

From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense and from a footballing one also as Eto'o can play anywhere in your front 3 due to versatility and relative pace, he has a wealth of experience in all competitions (CL experience will be a big plus), he won't demand a high fee and will also have no qualms about being replaced by Origi in the next season.

If Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool forked out £10m for Origi then they obviously have plans for him in the future and won't want to waste their money.

So while for this season some of you might be pandering after a top striker to replace Suarez (despite nobody being available that would join you of that quality not trolling being honest) by next season if Origi is what he's made out to be you'll be lauding Rodgers as a genius.

I think that the bolded is the exact reason behind your reported interest in Eto'o.

Why waste £20m+ on a top striker now when you can bring in someone incredibly experienced for no fee like Eto'o for one season and then look to utilise Origi in the next once he's more developed.

From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense and from a footballing one also as Eto'o can play anywhere in your front 3 due to versatility and relative pace' date=' he has a wealth of experience in all competitions (CL experience will be a big plus), he won't demand a high fee and will also have no qualms about being replaced by Origi in the next season.

If Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool forked out £10m for Origi then they obviously have plans for him in the future and won't want to waste their money.

So while for this season some of you might be pandering after a top striker to replace Suarez (despite nobody being available that would join you of that quality not trolling being honest) by next season if Origi is what he's made out to be you'll be lauding Rodgers as a genius.[/quote']

Agree with all of the above and I'm certain that's the plan and a sensible one a that.

What I don't understand is the continued enquires for much bigger front line purchases if the plan was Origi for next season with a years stop gap striker in the interim - if that had indeed been the plan from the off or at least since signing Origi then the other names we have been linked with would be more of a surprise than the talks with Eto'o.

Certainly the talk from inside and outside the club since Suarez's departure has been of a more marquee signing up front - from the public courting of Sanchez and Remy to the more cloaked but confirmed enquiries of Falcao or Benzema.

it would appear then that we may well have now fallen back to Plan B which I think is more in spite of trying to fill the gap than planning not to this season. A case of - we tried but we failed.

The pressure on Studge now is immense, he certainly looks ready to take it on tho.

Although Brendan continues to talk up more signings, which we should likely assume to be Moreno.

Unless of course, something dramatic is left - who knows, Jim White doesn't start bellowing for another few weeks yet!

Agree with all of the above and I'm certain that's the plan and a sensible one a that.

What I don't understand is the continued enquires for much bigger front line purchases if the plan was Origi for next season with a years stop gap striker in the interim - if that had indeed been the plan from the off or at least since signing Origi then the other names we have been linked with would be more of a surprise than the talks with Eto'o.

Certainly the talk from inside and outside the club since Suarez's departure has been of a more marquee signing up front - from the public courting of Sanchez and Remy to the more cloaked but confirmed enquiries of Falcao or Benzema.

it would appear then that we may well have now fallen back to Plan B which I think is more in spite of trying to fill the gap than planning not to this season. A case of - we tried but we failed.

The pressure on Studge now is immense' date=' he certainly looks ready to take it on tho.

Although Brendan continues to talk up more signings, which we should likely assume to be Moreno.

Unless of course, something dramatic is left - who knows, Jim White doesn't start bellowing for another few weeks yet![/quote']

I don't believe it was the initial intention of the club but the rejection by Sanchez and Remy's bizarre failure of his medical has probably forced the club and Rodgers to pursue other ways to balance the squad for now and future seasons.

Everyone likes to see their club make signings but sometimes if the right player isn't available then your club has to come up with different solutions.

The enquiries into Benzema and Falcao were IMO an attempt to find the next best target who would fill the gap left by Suarez. With Sanchez gone Liverpool probably still wanted a top player so wanted to at least attempt to sign one. When those options were exhausted and Remy failed his medical Liverpool needed to look to the future of their strike force more than the present as currently there isn't anyone available to add to the starting 11 so faith must be put into the potential of the current squad.

If Eto'o were to sign then it's a solid investment in all senses but not IMO what Liverpool initially intended on doing.

As you say it puts a lot of pressure on Sturridge, I feel he's good enough when fit to be the main man but with the added CL games I think another striker is needed and Eto'o is a relatively risk fee acquisition.

Martin Kelly most likely will leave to Palace for 1.5m fee. Good move for all parties involved i think. I always like Kelly but it's obvious he'll never make it here after his injury and i think playing at Palace will give him chance to prove he can play at highest level whilst getting regular gametime

Absolutely gutted Martin Kelly is leaving, I remember a point when he'd completely shunned Johnson out the team and looked to be the next big thing what a pity he got that injury. I was seriously convinced he'd make it this season, even after injury he's just better than Johnson (which isn't hard). Really wish him the best of luck and I think Palace have absolutely robbed us at that price.

Stunned at the 12 Million deal with Moreno when it seemed Sevilla wouldn't go under 20 million, great bit of business and really all we need now is a striker and I honestly think we should go all out for a marquee one instead of Eto'o even if Origi comes back having 3 good strikers will be a good set-up for the future.

Agree with Kev, gutted that Kelly is leaving! Done nothing wrong and could have been England's starting RB had it not been for a series of injuries. Hoped that Manquillo was replacing Johnson but it seems he's replacing Kelly. All the best to him, Pulis has nabbed a real bargain in Kelly.

Excited about Moreno, but what that will mean for Enrique and Flanno I don't know.

Agree with Kev' date=' gutted that Kelly is leaving! Done nothing wrong and could have been England's starting RB had it not been for a series of injuries. Hoped that Manquillo was replacing Johnson but it seems he's replacing Kelly. All the best to him, Pulis has nabbed a real bargain in Kelly.

Excited about Moreno, but what that will mean for Enrique and Flanno I don't know.[/quote']

well flanaghan is naturally right footed and while he did really well at LB, i think he used to be your natural youth RB with robinson at LB?

i might be wrong, but im guessing he is actually naturally a RB and if last season was anything to go by, he would be better than johnson there.

im not sure if he would be as good at RB as he was last year at LB though, im assuming he would but i don't know massive amounts about the guy.

Shame to see Kelly go but part of me is happy for him. Hopefully he will become a fixture at Palace and Pulis can help him rediscover his form and fitness. I'd personally have put a buy back price in there, if he impresses and we decide he's still not good enough for Liverpool then activate it and sell him on again for a higher fee. Think Arsenal done similar thing with Vela? £1.5m seems like a cracking buy to me.