Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Tony Barrett has confirmed we have approached Milan for Ballotelli on a loan deal with a view to buy.

I bet Rays fuming :P

Edit; Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 2m

The situation with Liverpool & Balotelli has moved on in the last 12 hours or so. An initial loan inquiry has led to talks with AC Milan.

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes · 38s

Now it appears a permanent deal could be on the table. Talks are ongoing but still at an early stage.

Tony Barrett has confirmed we have approached Milan for Ballotelli on a loan deal with a view to buy.

The situation with Liverpool & Balotelli has moved on in the last 12 hours or so. An initial loan inquiry has led to talks with AC Milan.

Now it appears a permanent deal could be on the table. Talks are ongoing but still at an early stage.

I can confirm your assumption is correct :P

Seriously so much more trouble than he is worth, he ain't World Class, he is nowhere near a Suarez.

Inconsistent performances (usually one good game in four) a divisive charachter, disharmony, over inflated ego, not a team player, lack of effort...

City saw it, everybody sees it he ain't worth the drama and not worth the fees quoted that is for sure....

What is there to like???

Could probably get Lavezzi for less and he is a much better fit, player and charachter.

Seriously so much more trouble than he is worth' date=' he ain't World Class, he is nowhere near a Suarez.

Inconsistent performances (usually one good game in four) a divisive charachter, disharmony, over inflated ego, not a team player, lack of effort...

City saw it, everybody sees it he ain't worth the drama and not worth the fees quoted that is for sure....

What is there to like???

Could probably get Lavezzi for less and he is a much better fit, player and charachter.[/quote']

To be fair that description is bang on what Sturridge was before he signed for us and now look at him, if Ballotelli does sign I have complete faith in Rodgers man management skills to get the best out of him and sort his attitude problems.

To be fair that description is bang on what Sturridge was before he signed for us and now look at him' date=' if Ballotelli does sign I have complete faith in Rodgers man management skills to get the best out of him and sort his attitude problems.[/quote']

I honestly don't think you can compare the behavouir of Balotelli and Sturridge, they are literally miles apart.

Half the stuff about Sturridge was made up anyway.

Nobody will sort Balotelli's attitude problems the guy has a screw or two loose to put it mildly, and even more important than that his ability ain't even that great.

Don't trust a guy who can't spell his Twitter handle correctly. ;)

E: It would be worth signing him just to hear 'Balotelli' in a scouse accent all the time.

I don't really rate Balotelli. He's had 'world class potential' tag since long time ago yet he never really fulfill his potential until now. His attitude is incomparable with Sturridge anyway. Sturridge just need playing time and a manager who believes in him as he needs self confidence to get the best out of him, Balotelli is like crazy person. But to be fair,Mourinho(who he only worked for short time),Mancini,Allegri and Seedorf aren't really manager who can tame him and give him confidence. I believe in Rodgers if he believes he can tame him. Signing Balotelli for me is better rather than signing no one.

I'm not Balotelli's biggest fan but I'm not sure how anyone can say that £17.5M would be expensive for him. In the current market, that actually seems rather cheap for a 24-year-old Italian international who basically has a 1-in-2 goal-scoring record (low chance conversion, though).

He wouldn't be my first choice by any means but Rodgers, along with Steve Peters, have as good a chance as anybody to get the best out of Balotelli.

Brendan Rodgers talked about Balotelli in depth back in March 2012 whilst Swansea manager. It seems like he feels that he can someone like him on, and given his progression as a manager since then you'd expect him to be even more confident about managing someone like Balotelli.

---------------

"He is certainly an interesting one," Rodgers says.

"Some players have that kind of personality and there's not a lot you can do — they will always be high maintenance.

"For a manager it's hard work dealing with that kind of player, because your ideal situation is to have players who are in love with football and devote their life to football.

"Having said that, you also have to understand that sometimes the top players, the geniuses, have a flaw somewhere."

Rodgers smiles, like the rest of us, when some of Balotelli's apparent acts of extreme kindness are mentioned.

"There's no doubt the kid's got a good heart," the Swansea manager adds.

"I have spoken to people at Manchester City and I have heard all the stories about how he walks into garages and pays for people's petrol and things like that.

"It sounds like there's a heart of gold in there, and that's why they persist with him and persevere.

"Some players are rascals, but they can be good rascals.

"If they are not the good kind you have a problem, but you can put up with it if they are — and as long as you do not have too many of them in your squad."

Mancini suggested this week that Balotelli ought to marry his girlfriend, that he should settle down and concentrate on his football career.

Rodgers describes that idea as "absolutely spot on", but Balotelli promptly insisted that he was in no rush to tie the knot.

For the moment, it seems, the enigmatic young forward is happy with his lot — even if he rarely looks too bothered when he scores a goal.

"I hope he is not thinking that he will settle down when he is 28 or 29," Rodgers says.

"The idea for him should be to focus on his football, because there is no doubt that he is a massive talent.

"I remember speaking to Fabio Borini about him.

"He has played with him for the Italian under-21s, and said he was the best player he'd ever worked with.

"He just said he was incredible."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/problem-age-make-mistakes-s-Mario-s-crazy-love-s/story-15455431-detail/story.html#ixzz3B14AX32z

Seriously so much more trouble than he is worth' date=' he ain't World Class, he is nowhere near a Suarez.

What is there to like???

Could probably get Lavezzi for less and he is a much better fit, player and charachter.[/quote']

Everything you've said is wrong. Balotelli can come close to what Ibra is about. How do you know he's inconsistent? Do you regularly watch Milan or even at all? The only reason you and others dislike him is because he has an ego and his "antics" off the field. Though, almost all of them were when he was younger and in England. If Liverpool sign him for as cheap as we are hearing, you'll be lucky. He joined Milan and was on fire for six months. Then last season he had a bad season in a really weak team which had no direction. He still had a half decent goal return.

No Milan fan is happy with this and for good reason. In total, 26 in 37 league games is so bad?

Everything you've said is wrong. Balotelli can come close to what Ibra is about. How do you know he's inconsistent? Do you regularly watch Milan or even at all? The only reason you and others dislike him is because he has an ego and his "antics" off the field. Though' date=' almost all of them were when he was younger and in England. If Liverpool sign him for as cheap as we are hearing, you'll be lucky. He joined Milan and was on fire for six months. Then last season he had a bad season in a really weak team which had no direction. He still had a half decent goal return.

No Milan fan is happy with this and for good reason. In total, 26 in 37 league games is so bad?[/quote']

Based on what? The fact that he's got an air of arrogance on the pitch too? Because that's where the similarities stop for me. Balotelli has got absolutely nothing on Ibra in all other aspects of play.

You've said it yourself really, a fantastic first six months followed by a dismal period. I'd honestly be expecting more for the price. And before you ask me the same question (that is if I watched Milan enough to be able to place a valid judgement), I'll tell you that I pretty much watched all the highlights of their games, with Balotelli absent in 90% of them, which tells me enough to be honest.

Given the prices thrown about this summer for Borini, McCormack etc, I'd say Balotelli at 17m-18m is a steal. Everyone isn't wrong when they talk about the lads potential and I fully trust in BR to get him motivated. One things for sure, if he signs BR will either look like a genius or an idiot cus he'll either be great or awful and disruptive.

I'm not sure where this idea that Balotelli has massive untapped potential or ability comes from.

At some stage does he just switch a button to active this potential and ability that allows him to reach the heights of the current modern greats in football?

Whenever I've seen him play, for Italy, in the Premiership or in Sserie A, he's looked bang average.

Based on what? The fact that he's got an air of arrogance on the pitch too? Because that's where the similarities stop for me. Balotelli has got absolutely nothing on Ibra in all other aspects of play.

You've said it yourself really' date=' a fantastic first six months followed by a dismal period. I'd honestly be expecting more for the price. And before you ask me the same question (that is if I watched Milan enough to be able to place a valid judgement), I'll tell you that I pretty much watched all the highlights of their games, with Balotelli absent in 90% of them, which tells me enough to be honest.[/quote']

Based on the fact that Ibra is very close to complete. Ibra can be very strong. He can assist. He can take free kicks and penalties. He can head. He has an eye for a pass. He can score from far out. He comes deep. Balotelli does all those things, just not as often. Under the right manager, Balotelli will work hard. I've seen him pressing the defenders all game and helping out defensively.

I'll ask you this, is Balo performing as well as he can? No. Yet look how well he still performs. It's frustrating to see a player that doesn't perform as well as he can, more so for a fan like me but don't let it blind you. And forget about his arrogance too. How many years did people in England say Ibra was nothing special? Probably up until he cleaned the floor with them and netted those 4 goals. Hearing Liverpool fans upset about the price is just as funny as the Ibra hate I had to hear for years.

I'm not sure where this idea that Balotelli has massive untapped potential or ability comes from.

At some stage does he just switch a button to active this potential and ability that allows him to reach the heights of the current modern greats in football?

Whenever I've seen him play' date=' for Italy, in the Premiership or in Sserie A, he's looked bang average.[/quote']

Balotelli 26 in 37 in Serie A.

Higuain 17 in 28 in Serie A.

Tevez 19 in 31 in Serie A.

I'm guessing you'd be satisfied with Higuain for 40mil though, right?:) Or even Tevez for 20mil?

It seems Balotelli rumour is really serious as he's said today will be the last day he'll be Milan player. It's HUGE risk, even bigger risk than when we signed Suarez or Sturridge but i certainly believe in Rodgers in this one. Probably one of few managers in the world who i trusted can bring the best out of difficult character. Balotelli certainly better than Borini and Lambert and his speed probably mean he's better suited rather than Bony. His age also mean he'll be longer term solution (if successful) rather than Eto'o. Makes sense when you consider this

I honestly don't think it's a big risk. Given his age he'll always retain his sell on value so at 17m your never going to lose a great deal of money. I just spoke with a friend about it and his attitude was it's insanity! Then proceeded to tell me that Rhodes being linked to Hull for 12m and that would be a great signing for them!! If guys from the championship like McCormack and Rhodes are worth 11m-12m and Borini 14m 17m for Balotelli is a no brainer..

Is that your argument? I won't bother with you then.

Oh, please educate me. Be kind.

You're telling me he's average. I'm asking you is that an average return? I'd ask you and anyone else, has he played as well as you believe he can? No. So his best is frightening. What he delivers now is even very good.

This signing isnt a risk by Liverpool's standards. How much did this club spend on Downing? Carroll? Keane etc.