Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Here's my ideal XI with everyone fully fit.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-08-28%2Bat%2B3.06.54%2Bpm.png

So I've got Sakho in defence ahead of Skrtel because I think he will be a better partner to Lovren. The first reason behind this is, like Lovren, Sakho likes to push a high line of defence, which also seems to match BR's preferences. One of the problems about our defence last year was that often we got caught too deep, and the opposition took advantage of that. Secondly, Lovren lacks pace, which we saw can a problem against the best sides with Aguero's goal. Sakho has pace, or is at least quicker than your average centre half, so in the situation of the opposition trying to play balls in behind our line, having a quick central defender will help our cause a lot.

Flanagan pips Manquillo to the right back spot, because he was one of our best if not our best defender last season, and he's a little bit more experienced, especially in the premier league. Overtime Manquillo may replace Flangan, but for now Flano is the better of the two, and let's just avoid mentioning Johnson.

Despite Moreno receiving a lot of criticism after the City game, I thought he really wasn't that bad, especially when you consider he's a 22 year old playing his first ever premier league game in a new team, against the best side in the league. As for his mistake allowing Jovetic to score the first, that was partly down to not being acclimatised to the pace of the premier league game, and really it's something that can be fixed within a week. He never would have been in that situation if it wasn't for poor positioning from the rest of the defence and partly Gerrard (yes I know we've already had this debate, it's a bit hard on Gerrard to give him the blame but he still wasn't doing everything right).

Gerrard in defensive midfield because there isn't a better one in the squad, and I was a bit harsh to give him the blame the other day but the small defensive mistakes he makes can still be ironed out. I feel his life will be made easier with two very mobile players in Hendo and Lallana next to him.

I don't really need to explain the selection of Henderson because you'd be mad to leave him out, and if Gerrard is going to remain in the team his work rout is going to be needed. Lallana in the other central spot because right now Coutinho is to inconsistent, and he also offers a fairly good work rate that is required for a team that wants to press. One advantage about having Henderson and Lallana in midfield together is that if the opposition is targeting the wide areas, both have the flexibility to push out wide and help support the wing backs.

Sterling another one I'm not going to get into much detail about why he's there. Everyone would pick him in the side because we need him, and he's more of a goal threat than Coutinho.

In the last couple of games what we've seen is Sturridge not being particularly effective for most of the match, but when he's been joined by Lambert we've looked more likely to score and Sturridge has been afforded more space. Just as Suarez did, Balotelli will provide the opposition defenders with another problem to think about, so Sturridge won't be the sole focus of the opposition hence he will get more space.

Mignolet

Skrtel-Lovren-Sakho

Flanagan--------------Moreno

Gerrard-Henderson

Sterling----------------Sturridge

Balotelli

If 3-5-2 was to work in the Prem that is haha.

As it doesn't I would like to see:

Mignolet

Flanagan-Skrtel-Sakho-Moreno

Sterling-Henderson-Gerrard-Lallana

Balotelli-Sturridge

How on earth can a right footed centre back not play right centre back.

It's a different position' date=' has nothing to do with what foot he uses. He's a LCB, same as Sakho and Agger.

On Monday's evidence, he struggles at LCB too. And it was poor positioning, not a lack of pace that gave Aguero his chance.

Yep, hopefully he improves his positioning as that really let him down

On Monday's evidence' date=' he struggles at LCB too. And it was poor positioning, not a lack of pace that gave Aguero his chance.[/quote']

It was poor positioning for all three goals. If he was a bit quicker he would have gotten to that ball.

I feel as if everyone is making judgements on one game. If one game determined how good a player was El-Hadji Diouf and Jordan Henderson would be at Fulham. After the Southampton and Dortmund games everyone was praising Lovren. Against City he was partnered with a debuting left back, a vocally non existent centre back partner and Glen Johnson. He was fantastic for Southampton last season.

A great quote from Jose Mourinho pretty much sums up what I'm saying, which he made when Drogba got off to an average start. "Judge him when he leaves the club."

Some interesting views.... Lovren cant play RCB - I think you'll find he can play in the position we signed him for actually, the Man City game isn't what we should be judging him on as most teams will lose there. From what I've seen so far, he's decent on the ball and commanding in the air, which is what we need.

Someone mentioned than Can should start ahead of Allen, forgive me but are you crazy?! The kid's got promise and could start some games, but at the moment is a little hot-headed and needs time to adapt to the Prem. Allen was one of our best players against City, my only criticism is that he doesn't seem capable of scoring a goal.

I think the full-back positions could cost us this season (as they arguably did last). Moreno will be fine left back in a couple of years I'm sure, but until that happens we will probably see his defensive weaknesses exploited on a few occasions. Again it's harsh to judge him after the City game, but he seems to have the right character and hopefully will learn from these mistakes.

At right back on the other hand, there is no clear favourite to start there in my opinion. Johnson has the experience but seems to be in decline, Flanaghan seems to play better at left back but perhaps I'll be proved wrong. As for Manquillo, for me he's never going to be good enough for a starting place.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Markovic, saw him play for Benfica last year and he was excellent, and so mature for his age. Add Lallana to the midfield aswell and it looks exciting, but where does Gerrard play? He clearly cannot be used in that defensive holding role away from home in big games, we saw that against City. I think at Anfield we can do that but I'd bring in someone like Alex Song, or preferable a younger player who has those qualities and whose natural position is holding.

Not suprised we've been linked with other keepers, for me Mignolet hasn't been good enough so far. I would have kept Reina to challenge him.

It's a different position' date=' has nothing to do with what foot he uses. He's a LCB, same as Sakho and Agger.

Yep, hopefully he improves his positioning as that really let him down[/quote']

I'm confident Brendan Rodgers would not have signed Dejan Lovren if he is unable to be paired with a player he spent 18m on and hopes to implement him for long term. Right wing is a different position to left wing, yet most wingers play on both. Right back is a different position to left back yet in the last 2 years most of the full backs at the club have played on both sides. As a central defender myself (yes I know at a level years and years away from the premier league), right centre back and left centre back are the two most similar positions on pitch. The fact that Lovren is particularly comfortable on both means I can't understand the notion that he can only play at left centre back. Maybe I'm wrong and Lovren will never play on the right, and if he does do terrible, but that makes me think what a waste of 20m.

One thing I think is worth being brought up is the fact that everyone in our defence seems to have poor positioning. It's always the players that get blamed for this, but what about Rodgers? Lovren's positioning was very good for Southampton under Pochettino, yet at Liverpool every centre back seems to get caught out at some point. I brought this up one time last season and everyone said I was wrong but it's been over two seasons and the defence never seems to get any better.

Mignolet

Skrtel-Lovren-Sakho

Flanagan--------------Moreno

Gerrard-Henderson

Sterling----------------Sturridge

Balotelli

If 3-5-2 was to work in the Prem that is haha.

As it doesn't I would like to see:

You've given the exact same formation in the United thread as to how they should line up.

Any team in the league can line up like that if you just put down there names in that formation order.

You've given the exact same formation in the United thread as to how they should line up.

Any team in the league can line up like that if you just put down there names in that formation order.

What the hell are you chatting about? Of course any team can line up like that' date=' and of course you can just put names in a formation order - that's what I did.

I also said if 3-5-2 was to work in the Prem. We have very swiftly learnt it does not work from Utd's complete shambles of a beginning to this season.

Here's another one for you:

[center']Sometimes

The-Things-You

Say------------Really

Hurts-My

Brain---------So

Bad[/center]

One thing I think is worth being brought up is the fact that everyone in our defence seems to have poor positioning. It's always the players that get blamed for this' date=' but what about Rodgers?[/quote']

Interesting point, I wonder what other people think about this.

We are really good going forward, attacking the game, brought the game to the opposition, even the defender improving in term of 'attacking'. But in defending department, we are slightly disoriented.

Maybe it is time to assess the defending coaching team? Since he is still in contact with his dear friend, Mourinho, he should ring him and ask for some advice.

Lovren can play RCB.

352 absolutely can work in the premier league and I'm sure Rodgers has considered it but we don't have the CBs for it.

The only team I don't want in the CL draw is Barcelona, would quite like Malmö and Dortmund.

Interesting point' date=' I wonder what other people think about this.

We are really good going forward, attacking the game, brought the game to the opposition, even the defender improving in term of 'attacking'. But in defending department, we are slightly disoriented.

Maybe it is time to assess the defending coaching team? Since he is still in contact with his dear friend, Mourinho, he should ring him and ask for some advice.[/quote']

I mean obviously to have a good defence you have to have good defenders, but the basic positioning errors that so often cost us goals can be mastered by championship defences with the right attention on it.

I'm confident Brendan Rodgers would not have signed Dejan Lovren if he is unable to be paired with a player he spent 18m on and hopes to implement him for long term. Right wing is a different position to left wing' date=' yet most wingers play on both. Right back is a different position to left back yet in the last 2 years most of the full backs at the club have played on both sides. As a central defender myself (yes I know at a level years and years away from the premier league), right centre back and left centre back are the two most similar positions on pitch. The fact that Lovren is particularly comfortable on both means I can't understand the notion that he can only play at left centre back. Maybe I'm wrong and Lovren will never play on the right, and if he does do terrible, but that makes me think what a waste of 20m.

One thing I think is worth being brought up is the fact that everyone in our defence seems to have poor positioning. It's always the players that get blamed for this, but what about Rodgers? Lovren's positioning was very good for Southampton under Pochettino, yet at Liverpool every centre back seems to get caught out at some point. I brought this up one time last season and everyone said I was wrong but it's been over two seasons and the defence never seems to get any better.[/quote']

If he wanted to play Lovren with Sakho then why isn't he already? Because they're both LCBs. Sakho was immense at the World Cup and arguably a better player than Lovren however Lovren has been bought to be our leader at the back hence why he is starting. This is why I didn't understanding us buying Lovren because it means Sakho will rarely play. Lovren has played on the right side a handful of times in his career, he isn't comfortable there. I'd assume it's because it's different positionally when it comes to attacking the ball and knowing your angles. Alan Hansen was interviewed a couple weeks ago saying how difficult it is to move from one side to the other. In an idea world I'd play Sakho and Lovren however it would take A LOT of coaching for them to get the acquired to the new position, something I don't think Rodgers is willing to do considering he rates Skrtel anyway

At the end of the day, playing centre-back (a position I know very well) is about the partnership with your other CB. Whether you start as RCB or LCB for a pro should make very little difference because you position yourself according to the rest of your defence and the opposition. The only difference really is that LCB will use their left (often less favoured) foot a little more.

More often that not these days we play against a formation with just the one striker, meaning that one CB marks and one sweeps. Either way, I don't buy this issue that some people are concerned about with RCB v LCB. Once Lovren & Skrtel learn each others game they will only get stronger, perhaps if Sakho is playing LCB it may provide a little more natural balance but his pace is more of an asset than his left foot.

Ah the sound of the Champions League music and we are there.....beautiful :)

Dont care who we get but as I have said elsewhere would love to see Luis return with Barcelona' date=' been so long since I have been to a massive European night at Anfield and really want a big one :)[/quote']

Would like to try and see him bite Skterl,the Slovakian would kill him! :D