Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Well one example from millions upon millions ain't really a compelling argument.

Most players play for the love of the game' date=' Borini always struck me as a guy who loves the game but he is getting bad advice or his thinking is wrong currently he ends to play for his own sporting career.[/quote']

Plenty of players have proved to be happy picking up the wages on a big club's roster.

Borini might think he's good enough to break through at Liverpool.

Plenty of players have proved to be happy picking up the wages on a big club's roster.

Well if he does he is sadly deluded, said it the day he got here bang average player who is nowhere near good enough for a Champions League side.

He must realise it is over, I mean Brendon made it pretty clear to the likes of Him Assaidi, Coates, Kelly etc

I remember having conversations with many on this thread on how Di Maria and Falcao would never sign for Liverpool and being told to stop trolling.

I also remember being told that if they wouldn't sign for Liverpool United had no chance.

Just thought I'd remind you all of what a currently 14th placed side' date=' not in the Champions league can do in the transfer market compared the mighty Liverpool.

;)

In other news do you think anyone will be signed by Liverpool today?[/quote']

love how the united fans think they pulled off some genius transfer work when in reality they are the laughing stock of the world for paying ridiculous prices for players.

can't believe they are proud of spending 150m in one window and still playing like turds.

love how the united fans think they pulled off some genius transfer work when in reality they are the laughing stock of the world for paying ridiculous prices for players.

can't believe they are proud of spending 150m in one window and still playing like turds.

Just how ridiculous are the transfer fees this summer? Compare them to other deals from clubs all around Europe this summer and previous transfer windows.

A very good window for us, although it would have been nice to be able to shift a couple more players (Borini, Lucas, Assaidi permanently). We've got quality & enough depth throughout the team and a lot of our better players are still very young.

Nope' date=' he's been made clear he'll struggle to play even in the cup games. He wasn't in the 20-man squad that traveled to Spurs last weekend and he won't be involved in any way when Balotelli, Sturridge & Lambert are all fit. He's just a very unambitious man.

I remember having conversations with many on this thread on how Di Maria and Falcao would never sign for Liverpool and being told to stop trolling.

I also remember being told that if they wouldn't sign for Liverpool United had no chance.

Just thought I'd remind you all of what a currently 14th placed side, not in the Champions league can do in the transfer market compared the mighty Liverpool.

;)

In other news do you think anyone will be signed by Liverpool today?

Ben, I remember a certain someone claiming that there was no way Liverpool would be able to buy players for all their 5-6 problem areas. How did that work out?:)

He's just a very unambitious man.

Or perhaps he's very ambitious? What if you were at Liverpool, aged what about 23, and knew this was really your one shot at making it a big club. Would you want to try all you can to take it, or give up and take the easy route? The fact that Borini still with us says to me he really wants to be here, not that he's in it for the wage. Really surprised at the negative reception he's getting for clearly trying to prove his critics wrong. It might be far fetched but it's not impossible. Plus I suspect he likes working under Rodgers as well.

Or perhaps he's very ambitious? What if you were at Liverpool' date=' aged what about 23, and knew this was really your one shot at making it a big club. Would you want to try all you can to take it, or give up and take the easy route? The fact that Borini still with us says to me he really wants to be here, not that he's in it for the wage. Really surprised at the negative reception he's getting for clearly trying to prove his critics wrong. It might be far fetched but it's not impossible. Plus I suspect he likes working under Rodgers as well.[/quote']

If I were at Liverpool, aged 23 knowing it's my only chance to make it at a big club, I'd stay and fight for my place. But that's not the situation Borini's looking at. This is his chance to make some money while sitting in the stands. By going to QPR or Sunderland he would have been given the chance to show how good he is and then earn a move to a big club. Borini likes Rodgers and Rodgers likes him but I can tell you BR has absolutely zero faith in him when it comes to actually producing something on the pitch.

If Balotelli, Sturridge & Lambert were unavailable, Borini would only make the bench for me.

Actually regarding Borini,i'm not too fussed. It's maybe the best if we can sell him and move on but the fact he wants to be here must be appreciated. Rodgers clearly tell him that he won't be in main plan this season but maybe with hardwork and more training,he can impress Rodgers? Who knows,it's last season for him surely if he can't get more gametime. He'll do for now as 4th choice striker for me.

What's more worrying for me is the situation of Suso. He's very talented player but sadly the squad is full with talented young players aswell now. He'll be behind Balotelli and Markovic for the frontline(assuming Sturridge and Sterling safe for now) and there is Lallana and Coutinho ahead of him as attacking midfield. We can't play both Suso and Coutinho either for example as it'll be suicidal. Shame he can't get loan move to somewhere (Milan been linked last few days) and i've heard the rumour he'll be gone in January and it'll make me gutted to lose him:(

A very good window for us' date=' although it would have been nice to be able to shift a couple more players (Borini, Lucas, Assaidi permanently). We've got quality & enough depth throughout the team and a lot of our better players are still very young.[/quote']

I agree with getting rid of Borini and Assaidi permanently, but I'm really pleased that we've held on to Lucas. It surprises me that, even now, he is still not rated by a lot of people despite proving himself over the years. He has been such a great servant for this club and it's sad to see so many fans calling for his head just because he's not in the starting eleven at present.

He played in 29 games for us last season (27 in the league) including some of our biggest wins (both games against Spurs and Man City at Anfield). Have we really strengthened our midfield over the summer? Other than the addition of Can it's essentially the same midfield. If Gerrard picks up an injury (or needs a rest) which is quite likely, Lucas is still the best replacement for me. On top of that he is currently one of our most experienced players, given how young our team is, he is also one of only a handful players who have played in the Champions League. His experience could prove invaluable. As well as all of that, he's still the best option we have to bring on to close out a game.

I agree with getting rid of Borini and Assaidi permanently' date=' but I'm really pleased that we've held on to Lucas. It surprises me that, even now, he is still not rated by a lot of people despite proving himself over the years. He has been such a great servant for this club and it's sad to see so many fans calling for his head just because he's not in the starting eleven at present.

[/quote']

Fans aren't calling for his because he isn't in the starting XI. People want a replacement because he isn't good enough anymore for the high standard we want to be playing at. Yes he's been ' a great servant' for us and yes he was a solid player a couple of years ago, but ever since his injuries he has been regressed and has more than often been a liability when he has played. He can't be paired with Gerrard because the two of them together makes a very immobile midfield, which reduces our ability to press as well as we did against Spurs, and means it is easier for quick attacks, like Tottenham's, to expose us. Gerrard can't be dropped for Lucas to come in, as while I personally think Gerrard's days are nearly up, he's still very important to us without anyone of his quality to replace him. I don't know if you watched us against Southampton but Lucas was a big weakness and he was often giving away possession, or being exposed by Southampton. When Allen came on we improved a bit because he offers a lot more energy and running to the team.

Anyone else think that Gerrards deeper role, and its importance, has highlighted his possible "degradation"? Watching him over the last few games - end of last and beginning of this season - I can't recall him giving the ball away so many times.

I hope its just a blip rather than a slide, maybe a reflection of tiredness given the run in and the WC, but Henderson's work rate seems to be masking Gerrards form.

Be interested in some opinion on this one.

As for Borini, he wont get notable game time which means his value will only go down in my eyes. I cant see the lads future at Liverpool and don't retain any real value in him playing - cant see him being the option if we need a goal so under what circumstances will he play? Injury to 4/5 other players? A dead rubber Champions League Round One game? A substantial lead in a league game? League cup?

I commend his ambition, but question just how misguided his judgement is. game time at QPR / Sunderland would definitely do him far more good in terms of career than staying - all I can think is that he wants a loan deal to prove himself to Liverpool once again. last season should have been chance enough in my eyes, as even if he went to a club an banged in 15 in 30 or sommat he would likely still be leaving next summer if our first teamers get anywhere near the same return.

Anyone else think that Gerrards deeper role' date=' and its importance, has highlighted his possible "degradation"? Watching him over the last few games - end of last and beginning of this season - I can't recall him giving the ball away so many times.

I hope its just a blip rather than a slide, maybe a reflection of tiredness given the run in and the WC, but Henderson's work rate seems to be masking Gerrards form.

Be interested in some opinion on this one.

[/quote']

I think we just give him too much responsibility on his shoulder. Yes he is our captain and most experience player,but i think at this moment we should have someone who can fill in Gerrard role and give him proper rest. At the moment he just got no rest which causes few moments of sloppiness IMO as it's getting harder for him at that age to play such role which has huge responsibility to cover. Henderson clearly been the one who cover all this sloppiness from Gerrard but i don't think it's 'degradation' of Stevie level. His quality is still there,but he simply can't(and understandably so) keep up with so many games at top level. Give him Lampard role in his few years before leaving Chelsea,still being starter for most Chelsea and more important games but someone else will cover there in lesser league games and i think we should be able to enjoy Stevie class for more years. If he continues to playing non stop,i'm afraid some our fans will blame him more and more and he'll burn out too and i don't want it to happen to such a legend for Liverpool

I think we just give him too much responsibility on his shoulder. Yes he is our captain and most experience player' date='but i think at this moment we should have someone who can fill in Gerrard role and give him proper rest. At the moment he just got no rest which causes few moments of sloppiness IMO as it's getting harder for him at that age to play such role which has huge responsibility to cover. Henderson clearly been the one who cover all this sloppiness from Gerrard but i don't think it's 'degradation' of Stevie level. His quality is still there,but he simply can't(and understandably so) keep up with so many games at top level. Give him Lampard role in his few years before leaving Chelsea,still being starter for most Chelsea and more important games but someone else will cover there in lesser league games and i think we should be able to enjoy Stevie class for more years. If he continues to playing non stop,i'm afraid some our fans will blame him more and more and he'll burn out too and i don't want it to happen to such a legend for Liverpool[/quote']

A reasoned opinion but I just cant see Gerrard sitting watching, he's always been a bluster player, needing to play, wanting to play and driving the team. this has to be built around him getting on the ball and I can see him getting frustrated if his ability to remain in possession starts to slip. he's always lead through performance and my concern is how will a lack of performance affect that. Obviously its all too early to be saying his standards have slipped or he is now degrading - just voicing a concern.

Give it time and, with the rest from international games, maybe a break will do him good.

Agent confirms that LFC rejected a loan bid for Fabio Borini from Inter Milan along with other loan offers from "very important clubs". Agent also says that QPR's offer was not "suitable for an important player".

Ruddy agents, I genuinely hope this reflects his agent and not Borini's own self sense of importance.

A reasoned opinion but I just cant see Gerrard sitting watching' date=' he's always been a bluster player, needing to play, wanting to play and driving the team. this has to be built around him getting on the ball and I can see him getting frustrated if his ability to remain in possession starts to slip. he's always lead through performance and my concern is how will a lack of performance affect that. Obviously its all too early to be saying his standards have slipped or he is now degrading - just voicing a concern.

Give it time and, with the rest from international games, maybe a break will do him good.[/quote']

Of course what i mean is to put Gerrard for most games on the bench,but i think he is no longer at level to be able to playing 35 full league games as starter as we have very tight schedule with CL,especially if we start to play twice a week i doubt Gerrard will keep his fitness or form to be at highest level if he starts two games in a week. Give Can a chance to do the role in lesser game and i hope Gerrard will maintain the best form during the season. International break will do him good now i agree with you

Potentially an unpopular opinion but I don't think Gerrard has the legs to play anywhere other than the base of the diamond, and I don't think he's got a skill set that suits that role. Jovetic was our key player against you and he found tons of space around Gerrard.

Seems like the perfect position for Can.

Potentially an unpopular opinion but I don't think Gerrard has the legs to play anywhere other than the base of the diamond' date=' and I don't think he's got a skill set that suits that role. Jovetic was our key player against you and he found tons of space around Gerrard.

Seems like the perfect position for Can.[/quote']

It's not really an unpopular opinion. Most Liverpool fans would agree with you entirely. He gets away with it against the weaker sides, but against the likes of City or Chelsea he will definitely be found out defensively. He's still our best passer and the deeper role gives him plenty of the ball. I wouldn't have him there in the bigger games though. For me Lucas would be the better option. Can could potentially play there but he still has a lot to prove.

Potentially an unpopular opinion but I don't think Gerrard has the legs to play anywhere other than the base of the diamond' date=' and I don't think he's got a skill set that suits that role. Jovetic was our key player against you and he found tons of space around Gerrard.

Seems like the perfect position for Can.[/quote']

That's why Henderson is so key, he does Gerrards running for him. Gerrard isn't defensively minded naturally so his positioning is quite poor. I love Gerrard and think he's possibly been our greatest player ever however I don't think he's quite needed. I see Can as more of a box to box midfielder though tbh.

Of course what i mean is to put Gerrard for most games on the bench' date='but i think he is no longer at level to be able to playing 35 full league games as starter as we have very tight schedule with CL,especially if we start to play twice a week i doubt Gerrard will keep his fitness or form to be at highest level if he starts two games in a week. Give Can a chance to do the role in lesser game and i hope Gerrard will maintain the best form during the season. International break will do him good now i agree with you[/quote']

I personally believe we will start to see Gerrard phased out these next two seasons. At first, Rodgers will start to rest Gerrard as he won't be able to play every game and then it'll keep steadily decreasing and we will become less 'dependant' on him.

Unfortunately it's getting to the stage where I'm starting to wonder why we actually need Gerrard? He's poor defensively and he only really contributes to goals via set pieces. We have enough creativity in our midfield and attack therefore I don't think a deep lying playmaker is really needed at all. Also, if we used a natural quality DM in that position it would give our other midfielders much more license to roam. I adore Gerrard as much as any Liverpool fan however with Can at the club I think this will be his last season as a permanent fixture and we will have to look past him

Rarely have I ever read such rubbish as the last page....

All because he misplaced a few passes on Sunday turns into a mass debate nobody mentions the Ones that do come off and he spreads the ball better than any other midfielder in the League that play such a vital part in our counter attacks, yes he gets a few wrong but he gets a lot right and that is much more useful than tapping the ball sideways every time you get it, you have to find the balance in the type of passing you go for and Gerrard does it better than most players throughout the PL era.

Absolutely vital to our style of play, gets the ball initiates attacks and the passing implementation perfectly, having people like Lucas there and we can't play the same style we do now, Gerrard is the fulcrum of what we do...

He made loads of vital tackles and his positioning in that role has improved tremendously, we don't have anybody better than him to fill this role. Not to mention he is our leader, the heart of this side he allows others to go and play express themselves.

It is a complete nonsense, he was in the PL team of the season last year picked as one of the four best midfielders in the country and three games in people are writing his obituary......absolute farce.

He will never get the recognition he deserves on this thread from some until he is gone, then you will realise exactly what it is you are missing.

He will never get the recognition he deserves on this thread from some until he is gone' date=' then you will realise exactly what it is you are missing.[/quote']

Pls no I never want to see Liverpool without Stevie G :(

I hope when he does finally hang up his boots Rodgers will bring him in as an assistant, got all the makings of a future manager.