Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Pls no I never want to see Liverpool without Stevie G :(

I hope when he does finally hang up his boots Rodgers will bring him in as an assistant' date=' got all the makings of a future manager.[/quote']

Gerrard isn't vocal enough to make a good manager. He'd probably do well as an assistant though, knowing Liverpool inside out.

Pls no I never want to see Liverpool without Stevie G :(

I hope when he does finally hang up his boots Rodgers will bring him in as an assistant' date=' got all the makings of a future manager.[/quote']

We'll I meant on the pitch, I am sure you know what I meant :P

Just a little rant back the. But stand by every word of it, sure when his playing time ends he will still have a role at the club, you don't discard class, experience and know how like that. like Carra I would not be surprised if one day either of them end up managing the club.

cannot believe people slating gerrard on here, he was arguably your best player last season behind suarez.

he spreads play around and doesn't just get assists but plays so many good balls into advanced areas.

without him you'd be very predictable, with him in the team he is the only midfielder you actually have who isn't more of a short passer.

could go on for a bit longer, just actually shocked at how people suddenly don't rate him ..

Blimey, kicked off a bit there didnt it!

I wasnt saying Gerrard should be thrown into the knackers yard in any way - the man is a legend for us and within the premier league. Hes the 2nd best liverpool player in my time, after Kenny in my eyes and remains one of the best midfielders in british football.

All im saying is i dont think his form is great at the moment and i am hoping its just form and not a sign of his legs getting on. The managers dropped in deeper as a nod to his age and the demands of the modern game and i desperaley hope he does a Pirlo for us and keeps going - as long as he maintains his quality then i have every confidence he will.

But that doesnt change my opinion that his form is not great at the moment judged by his own, admittedley very high, standards.

But liverpool without Gerrard is like Kerry Katona without benefits - a lot poorer.

cannot believe people slating gerrard on here' date=' he was arguably your best player last season behind suarez.

he spreads play around and doesn't just get assists but plays so many good balls into advanced areas.

without him you'd be very predictable, with him in the team he is the only midfielder you actually have who isn't more of a short passer.

could go on for a bit longer, just actually shocked at how people suddenly don't rate him ..[/quote']

I don't think people are explicitly asking for him to be dropped, just to be handled with more care. He's 34 now, and won't be playing at his best like he used to a couple of years back week in, week out. There is fresh blood in the squad, which should tempt Rodgers to use Gerrard more sparingly, not axe him.

I love Gerrard but tend to think we'd be a better side with a class DM protecting our already flimsy defence. A mascherano type would be perfect. Think we would be much better defensively and not THAT much worse attacking. A proper DM would benefit our team much more than a deep lying player maker and I don't think that should really be up for debate.

People get very defensive when it comes to Gerrard don't they hahaha :P

Why does everybody assume Borini is just in it for the money. No point me repeating my last status but really.

Players get stick for leaving to go to other clubs, and now it seems as if they get stick for staying too. People always talking about how there is no loyalty in todays game but as soon as we see a bit of determination from a young lad to prove everybody wrong he's in it for the money?:rolleyes:

Before anyone misquotes me too I'm not saying he's certain to do well, but determination is defiantly the place to start.

I love Gerrard but tend to think we'd be a better side with a class DM protecting our already flimsy defence. A mascherano type would be perfect. Think we would be much better defensively and not THAT much worse attacking.

People get very defensive when it comes to Gerrard don't they hahaha :P

Exactly what I think. I also think that we need to be looking at potential replacements now (a long term replacement) because who remembers what happened when Xabi Alonso left.

I love Gerrard but tend to think we'd be a better side with a class DM protecting our already flimsy defence. A mascherano type would be perfect. Think we would be much better defensively and not THAT much worse attacking.

Not gonna happen.

With the way Rodgers doing his transfer, he is not going for finished product, he like it raw. Molding into his philosophy. In his way.

The way I see it, Can is the long term replacement for Gerrard, but he is not as ready yet. One full season of understudy from Gerrard and he will grasp the idea of playing in that position within EPL pace.

By the time Gerrard retires i'm sure Rossiter will be establishing himself in and around the first team. I reckon Gerrard will be playing that position till he's 36/37 barring injuries and by that time Rossiter will be what 20/21? I think Rossiter is the direct replacement local lad full of talent all the way through the ranks and is a natural defensive midfielder. By this time barring transfers Can will have matured and Henderson will be peaking and we'll be in a good position, because if Gerrard retired this year we'd be in a mess.

Gerrard is by far our most influential player and we''ll be in a right mess if he wasn't in the first team.

Press are reporting that FABIO BORINI blew a £12million move to QPR because of his outrageous demands.

The Liverpool striker wanted Rangers to nearly double his £50,000-a-week Anfield wages and include a get-out clause in a three-year contract.

If true, Borini would have cost close to £27.5m over three years!

I agree with getting rid of Borini and Assaidi permanently' date=' but I'm really pleased that we've held on to Lucas. It surprises me that, even now, he is still not rated by a lot of people despite proving himself over the years. He has been such a great servant for this club and it's sad to see so many fans calling for his head just because he's not in the starting eleven at present.

[b']Reply: He proved himself, then got injured and he's never been the same. I don't have anything against him, just that he isn't good enough for us. For me Allen is a better option for any midfield role.[/b]

He played in 29 games for us last season (27 in the league) including some of our biggest wins (both games against Spurs and Man City at Anfield). Have we really strengthened our midfield over the summer? Other than the addition of Can it's essentially the same midfield. If Gerrard picks up an injury (or needs a rest) which is quite likely, Lucas is still the best replacement for me. On top of that he is currently one of our most experienced players, given how young our team is, he is also one of only a handful players who have played in the Champions League. His experience could prove invaluable. As well as all of that, he's still the best option we have to bring on to close out a game.

Gerrard, Skrtel, Johnson, Toure, Lovren, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho, (Manquillo?), Lucas, Can, Skrtel, Balotelli, Markovic. That's a rather large handful, isn't it?:) Also loads of our players have played EL which is better than no European football.

Valdes for free? Wouldn't say no. Could keep Mignolet on his feet and push him to do even better. Personally think it is as good deal if we can get him as second keeper.

Also with Agger leaving, do we already given the vice-captain role to someone? I would have Skrtel, Lucas or Hendo for that role.

Valdes for free? Wouldn't say no. Could keep Mignolet on his feet and push him to do even better. Personally think it is as good deal if we can get him as second keeper.

Also with Agger leaving' date=' do we already given the vice-captain role to someone? I would have Skrtel, Lucas or Hendo for that role.[/quote']

Valdes would want first team football and very high wages.

Also with Agger leaving' date=' do we already given the vice-captain role to someone? I would have Skrtel, Lucas or Hendo for that role.[/quote']

I wouldn't say no either to Valdes but make me wondering maybe we should've treated Reina better. Valdes is good keeper though,underestimated by most people but actually very good keeper with nice reflex and ability to play with his feed.

For vice captain role,it should've been given to Hendo. Perfect future captain. Lucas isn't big part for Rodgers plan so i doubt it'll given to him and i don't really want Skrtel to be chosen

Valdes would want first team football and very high wages.

It is trend now that every big club have more than 1 good GK. He need to compete if he want to play first team football nowdays' date=' if he still have it, I can see him moving to big club, so why not here.

The wages would not be the case, if the committee think he is good enough, he will get offer equivalent to his role for the club.

I wouldn't say no either to Valdes but make me wondering maybe we should've treated Reina better. Valdes is good keeper though,underestimated by most people but actually very good keeper with nice reflex and ability to play with his feed.

For vice captain role,it should've been given to Hendo. Perfect future captain. Lucas isn't big part for Rodgers plan so i doubt it'll given to him and i don't really want Skrtel to be chosen

Reina make it clear he don't want to work under Rodgers? I believe it was the case for his departure.

I think it is still too early for Hendo to be given that role, but he keep maturing in all aspect, already proven himself in England U21 setup to be a leader. Make him a good candidate.

Why wouldn't you want to see Skrtel as vice? He is one of our best performers last season and he should be one of the first name on the teamsheet unless Lovren - Sakho partnership is working.

It is trend now that every big club have more than 1 good GK. He need to compete if he want to play first team football nowdays' date=' if he still have it, I can see him moving to big club, so why not here.

The wages would not be the case, if the committee think he is good enough, he will get offer equivalent to his role for the club.

Reina make it clear he don't want to work under Rodgers? I believe it was the case for his departure.

I think it is still too early for Hendo to be given that role, but he keep maturing in all aspect, already proven himself in England U21 setup to be a leader. Make him a good candidate.

Why wouldn't you want to see Skrtel as vice? He is one of our best performers last season and he should be one of the first name on the teamsheet unless Lovren - Sakho partnership is working.[/quote']

Not really though, Chelsea and Bayern being the exceptions.

Not really though' date=' Chelsea and Bayern being the exceptions.[/quote']

Barcelona,Real Madrid,City,Atletico(Moya is experienced GK and Oblak is highly touted GK),even Arsenal have two decent GK in their squad. Jones isn't in same level as Caballero,Bravo,Navas,Oblak or Ospina

Barcelona' date='Real Madrid,City,Atletico(Moya is experienced GK and Oblak is highly touted GK),even Arsenal have two decent GK in their squad. Jones isn't in same level as Caballero,Bravo,Navas,Oblak or Ospina[/quote']

True, but how many of those teams have a back-up goalkeeper on 100k/w? For the wages you'd be paying, he really isn't worth it.

True' date=' but how many of those teams have a back-up goalkeeper on 100k/w? For the wages you'd be paying, he really isn't worth it.[/quote']

Is it really signing for those wages though? I doubt Rodgers will want him if he demand those wages. I agree he won't be worth it with those wages but if Balotelli can take paycut,why not Valdes? It's all assumption atm as he's still on the recovery

Is it really signing for those wages though? I doubt Rodgers will want him if he demand those wages. I agree he won't be worth it with those wages but if Balotelli can take paycut' date='why not Valdes? It's all assumption atm as he's still on the recovery[/quote']

If Valdes joins he will have to take a pay cut and understand his name means nothing and has to work hard to get a first team place.

100k-a-week wages for 2 years is the equivalent of a £6M fee and 40k-a-week wages, so it's not that big of an outlay really. I've never believed in having two GKs of such a high quality, and if we do bring in Valdes I think it'll be to replace Mignolet somewhere down the line if he can prove his fitness.

100k-a-week wages for 2 years is the equivalent of a £6M fee and 40k-a-week wages' date=' so it's not that big of an outlay really. I've never believed in having two GKs of such a high quality, and if we do bring in Valdes I think it'll be to replace Mignolet somewhere down the line if he can prove his fitness.[/quote']

what was the point selling Reina if Pool is getting Valdes

what was the point selling Reina if Pool is getting Valdes

Reina is unhappy anyway after loaned out last season and there is no point keeping unhappy player who Rodgers isn't keen either. Valdes is looking for new challange and he might even take Mignolet spot