Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Six of our starting lineup today only joined us in the summer, meaning that only five players that started were part of our title challenging team of last season. I think that has a lot to do with the performance.

Rodgers said mid week that Mario wasn't match sharp yet and the same could be said for Lallana. We all knew we needed to add some serious depth to the squad this summer but I wish we hadn't had to start so many of the new boys all together so soon.

Total rubbish today, really was.

Complete lack of intent, tempo, intensity and really we got what we deserved.

I see people say we "dominated" the game depends what your definition is. Villa started with an intent and got the goal (let's be honest it was coming we just cannot defend set pieces same old, same old there :o) and then they had something to hold on to and were very well organised.

I don't think we dominated the game, we dominated possession in part because Villa allowed us to because we kept it in all the wrong areas and were not getting behind them or producing anything penetrating, the passing was slow, lack of creativity and really it was easy for Villa. I mean did Guzan even have a save to make, they were so comfortable.

Really Dissapointing display by some of the players, I don't care what anybody says give me Skrtel over Sakho anyday of the week. Really dissapointed in Markovic today did not try to go past his full back once, kept passing the buck as well and seemed afraid for use of a better word to try and express himself and use his assets (ie his pace)

Coutinho ain't turned up this season yet, just Dissapointing all round. Only plus point was Gerrard I thought who used the ball well and intelligently but we just had no creative spark today, reminded me a lot of Brendon Rodgers Swansea all the possession, but pointless possession, possession for possession sake not going anywhere.

Such a kick in the teeth after the euphoria of the Tottenham display, no point moaning about the way Villa played nearly every team who comes to Anfield will do the same and we have to be better. Miss Sturridge big time, Balotelli barely moved an inch all game, although Senderos should have been sent off nasty little fouls off the ball all the time, lucky boy to stay on.

Congrats to Villa a resolute display, a big bogey team at Anfield!!

Total rubbish today' date=' really was.

Complete lack of intent, tempo, intensity and really we got what we deserved.

I see people say we "dominated" the game depends what your definition is. Villa started with an intent and got the goal (let's be honest it was coming we just cannot defend set pieces same old, same old there :o) and then they had something to hold on to and were very well organised.

I don't think we dominated the game, we dominated possession in part because Villa allowed us to because we kept it in all the wrong areas and were not getting behind them or producing anything penetrating, the passing was slow, lack of creativity and really it was easy for Villa. I mean did Guzan even have a save to make, they were so comfortable.

Really Dissapointing display by some of the players, I don't care what anybody says give me Skrtel over Sakho anyday of the week. Really dissapointed in Markovic today did not try to go past his full back once, kept passing the buck as well and seemed afraid for use of a better word to try and express himself and use his assets (ie his pace)

Coutinho ain't turned up this season yet, just Dissapointing all round. Only plus point was Gerrard I thought who used the ball well and intelligently but we just had no creative spark today, reminded me a lot of Brendon Rodgers Swansea all the possession, but pointless possession, possession for possession sake not going anywhere.

Such a kick in the teeth after the euphoria of the Tottenham display, no point moaning about the way Villa played nearly every team who comes to Anfield will do the same and we have to be better. Miss Sturridge big time, Balotelli barely moved an inch all game, [b']although Senderos should have been sent off nasty little fouls off the ball all the time, lucky boy to stay on.[/b]

Congrats to Villa a resolute display, a big bogey team at Anfield!!

Senderos' fouls were probably the most interesting part of the game for a neutral though - Loved the way he checked to see where the ref was before giving Mario the cheeky elbow/clip/etc, testing his temper to the limit.

Senderos' fouls were probably the most interesting part of the game for a neutral though - Loved the way he checked to see where the ref was before giving Mario the cheeky elbow/clip/etc' date=' testing his temper to the limit.[/quote']

Agreed!

Not being funny if players are going to start being sent off for that then we may as well just admit that football is a game for nancys and label it non contact!

Not to go and make excuses but this has increased my dislike for international football even more. We didn't have our best two players because of it' date=' and they were exactly the two players we needed to be starting last night.[/quote']

I'd agree with a fully fit Sterling or Sturridge you'd have gotten more from the game.

Think Balotelli was very unlucky to get knocked about so much without protection.

Game was absolutely dreadful I've never been so close to to turning off a match before but it was so laboured and predictable and no player came out in a positive light, they were dreadful. Sakho is absolutely pathetic with the ball at his feet I've never felt so nervous when a footballer has the ball than when he does.

Aston Villa on the other hand were fantastic and I totally believe they will go on and have a good season. Two questionable decisions ie Senderos kick off the ball was a straight red and I felt Huttons tackle on Sterling was a borderline red. But at the end of the day Villa got the early goal and defend fantastically and it was the same old story as last season there is no plan B when a team stifles us. Players need to have look at themselves and bounce back because the game Tuesday is massive.

Having seen the Senderos trip on Balotelli I must say that I am very impressed that Balotelli didn't react to it.

Such a disgusting example of gamesmanship should be punished because you can guarantee had the roles been reversed Balotelli would be headline news.

There's nothing wrong with some physicality off the ball but to blatantly trip someone is a cowardly thing to do.

Having seen the Senderos trip on Balotelli I must say that I am very impressed that Balotelli didn't react to it.

Such a disgusting example of gamesmanship should be punished because you can guarantee had the roles been reversed Balotelli would be headline news.

There's nothing wrong with some physicality off the ball but to blatantly trip someone is a cowardly thing to do.

We won't be the last team to try to wind Balotelli up.

We won't be the last team to try to wind Balotelli up.

Doesn't make it right though. Every CB has there little tricks but at least most are subtle, pokes, shirt pulls, pinches etc that is expected and largely accepted but Senderos is overtly flouting the rules with that trip.

Well done on 3 points but you can't defend Senderos' actions based on the fact others will try to wind him up. There are acceptable ways of doing so.

Doesn't make it right though. Every CB has there little tricks but at least most are subtle' date=' pokes, shirt pulls, pinches etc that is expected and largely accepted but Senderos is overtly flouting the rules with that trip.

Well done on 3 points but you can't defend Senderos' actions based on the fact others will try to wind him up. There are acceptable ways of doing so.[/quote']

I understand where you're coming from but I think you're going slightly over the top. Strikers get tripped all the time. If he swung an elbow at him or kicked him then yeah fine. Not saying it's within the laws of the game but it's not like he went out to hurt him.

I remember Callum Chambers did something similar in one of Arsenal's games at the start of the season, although it wasn't a trip it was still a very definite and hard body check, and it was pulled up on TV as great defending as he was leaving his mark on the striker.

It's part of the game pal

I understand where you're coming from but I think you're going slightly over the top. Strikers get tripped all the time. If he swung an elbow at him or kicked him then yeah fine. Not saying it's within the laws of the game but it's not like he went out to hurt him.

I remember Callum Chambers did something similar in one of Arsenal's games at the start of the season' date=' although it wasn't a trip it was still a very definite and hard body check, and it was pulled up on TV as great defending as he was leaving his mark on the striker.

It's part of the game pal[/quote']

A trip is so deliberate and obvious though. My issue is there was no attempt at being intelligent in his defending. Subtle knocks etc are intelligent play to rile an opponent that was just shameful and childish.

I agree he wasn't trying to hurt him but in no way was he trying to go for a football either. It wasn't like he was standing his ground to block or trip him either he literally had to strain a leg out to reach him.

That's my issue. Not that he was tripped but how blatant it was. I like the physical side of the game when the other player has a chance of giving something back but Balotelli had no chance to battle past Senderos it was just a cowardly trip.

It was quite a few times, deliberate attempts to antagonise, trips here, studs there, arms flying. Senderos knew exactly what he was doing and if the ref or linesman had a pair of eyes he would have Been off the pitch by halfway in the first half, but they didn't so that is that.

Balotelli is gunna be targeted that much is obvious, people know he can be hot tempered and react, it might not be right but as Rugger says it is gunna happen and going to happen often so he will have to get used to it.

A trip is so deliberate and obvious though. My issue is there was no attempt at being intelligent in his defending. Subtle knocks etc are intelligent play to rile an opponent that was just shameful and childish.

I agree he wasn't trying to hurt him but in no way was he trying to go for a football either. It wasn't like he was standing his ground to block or trip him either he literally had to strain a leg out to reach him.

That's my issue. Not that he was tripped but how blatant it was. I like the physical side of the game when the other player has a chance of giving something back but Balotelli had no chance to battle past Senderos it was just a cowardly trip.

Haha shameful and childish? Fouling is intelligent but you've got to be fouling right, a little knock, some pinching, a bit of top shirt pulling. But my God man, do NOT trip the poor little striker over. Senderos did what he did and got away with it, no different to watching players like Skrtel defend.

Haha shameful and childish? Fouling is intelligent but you've got to be fouling right' date=' a little knock, some pinching, a bit of top shirt pulling. But my God man, do NOT trip the poor little striker over. Senderos did what he did and got away with it, no different to watching players like Skrtel defend.[/quote']

This.

Lost count of how many time Skrtl has clung to a shirt when jumping for a header - sometimes its not even a header.

This is part and parcel of the art of defending, you use every trick in the book that you can. More often than not you get away with it and sometimes you don't, buts its a part of the game.

I for one don't mind it, I recall Crouches headed goal against Jamaica at Wembley for England pre world cup whilst simultaneously pulling on the defenders dreads a while back sparking a similar debate amongst journo's about the evil deeds used up top - it especially tickled me.

if we aint careful we will end up with a sanitised version of the game.

Congrats to Hendo proper class act, sums up everything good about the club in the past couple of seasons and the way he came back from the absolute barrage of hate after his first season has been exceptional. He's absolute key to the way we play and as we saw last season his absence I totally believe cost us the title that's just how key he's become. Like for like replacement for Gerrard as well mentality wise and will only grow as a player when he takes on more responsibility. Very good role model as well for the younger fans which you don't see often with English players.

Jordan Henderson is the new vice-captain.

What a career he has so far' date=' from a bargaining chip for Dempsey to the vice-captain of Liverpool.

Fully deserved.[/quote']

Well deserved for Hendo. My ideal choice aswell,worried Skrtel will got it but pleased Hendo got it. One of few names who is guaranteed a place in starting lineup and usually when he perform well,we perform well as a team too. Really important piece of our team and should be our next captain once Gerrard retire