Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

i'll rather we played jay spearing instead of poulson ' date=' instead of someone thats old, can barley move and doesn't give a dam we would at least have a young scouser that would give his all and has at least some potential[/quote']

Pretty much what I think... Many say Spearing isn't big enough and will never be good enough for Liverpool but just for his 'never say die attitude' and the motm performance vs Steaua, I'd like to see a bit more of him... Hopefully he'll start against Utrecht

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

Another Ba*ca player running his mouth.

its the daily star inventing quotes like they normally do:

Beware Sensationalist Football Stories in The Daily Star Sunday

By James Goyder

A Twitter campaign is underway to highlight the number of football stories being broken by the Daily Star Sunday newspaper in England. All the articles in question share certain characteristics which have attracted the suspicion of a number of online commentators.

They all contain quotes from elite footballers from European leagues. None of the players in question speak English as a first language and many of them barely speak English at all. None of them habitually give interviews to the media either.

Yet the Daily Star Sunday has somehow managed to overcome this series of seemingly insurmountable obstacles to gain unprecedented access to these players.

You can see a selection of some of the contentious stories here. All of them are either written or co-written by Ben Fairthorne:

MEZUT OZIL: I DREAM OF PLAYING FOR MANCHESTER UNITED

DAVID SILVA LIKES THE LOOK OF CHELSEA

JOE HART SHOULD PLAY FOR MANCHESTER UNITED SAYS CASILLAS

TORRES V VIDIC: NOW IT’S PERSONAL

TORRES FEELS LET DOWN BY LIVERPOOL

Dailystarsimplythebest7daysaweekfootballjoehartshouldplayformanchesterun-windowsinternetexplorerpro_crop_358x243

INIESTA: TORRES LOVES SKIPPER GERRARD

LIONEL MESSI: HODGSON WRONGED MASCHERANO IN TRANSFER SAGA

FABIO CAPELLO TOLD HE WAS WRONG TO END BECKHAM'S CAREER

GIGI BUFFON EXPOSES MANCHESTER CITY'S BACK FOUR FLAW

WORLD CUP 2010: WESLEY SNEIJDER IS EVEN BETTER THAN LIONEL MESSI

LIONEL MESSI: GUTIERREZ IS AS GOOD AS ROONEY AND FABREGAS!

JOSE MOURINHO TO SUCCEED ALEX FERGUSON IS A ‘DONE DEAL’

NOU CAMP PLAN £100M SUMMER SWOOP FOR CESC FABREGAS AND FERNANDO TORRES

XAVI: BARCA WILL TAKE FABREGAS IF ARSENAL DON'T START WINNING

IGOR AKINFEEV WANTS TO JOIN ANDREY *ARSHAVIN AT ARSENAL

GERARD PIQUE: WAYNE ROONEY WILL WIN IT FOR MAN UTD NEXT SEASON

ARJEN ROBBEN: RAFAEL VAN DER VAART WILL BE SPURS' GEM

Dailystarsimplythebest7daysaweekfootballgerardpiquefernandotorreswillbe-windowsinternetexplorerpro_original_original_crop_358x243

Do Fairthorne and his fellow Daily Star Sunday football writers genuinely enjoy unique access to the likes of Mezut Ozil' date=' David Silva, Iker Casilla, David Villa, Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi, Gianluigi Buffon, Wesley Sneijder, Igor Akinfeev, Xavi, Gerard Pique, Arjen Robben and Andreas Pirlo?

A lot of football fans, including some well respected pundits, clearly feel that the answer is no. You can see some of the scrutiny which Fairthorne has been subjected to this week here: Twitter.

This morning's Daily Star Sunday carried a grand total of three stories featuring quotes from high profile European based players. Wesley Sneijder of Inter Milan, Gerard Pique of Barcelona and Lucio of Inter Milan were 'interviewed' in the following articles, WESLEY SNEIJDER: "I'D ONLY PLAY IN ENGLAND FOR MANCHESTER UTD", GERARD PIQUE: FERNANDO TORRES WILL BE ASHAMED OF EUROPA LEAGUE and, last but not least: MANCHESTER UNITED'S DIMITAR BERBATOV TIPPED FOR BALLON D'OR.

Interestingly enough, in the immediate aftermath of the Twitter allegations surrounding Fairthorne, his byline was not attached to any of these dubious Daily Star on Sunday football pieces. Despite having already interviewed both Sneijder and Pique and his 'proven' track record of getting quotes from famous European footballers Fairthorne was surprisingly not given any of this week's assignments.

In fact the depressingly familiar ,name of Ben Fairthorne was nowhere to be seen. All three of today's stories were instead written by David Hyde, who doesn't appear to have any sort of previous experience of writing sports stories for the Daily Star Sunday.

Why has Fairthorne been taken off the case? Could it have something to do with the simmerings on Twitter? The good news for the Daily Star Sunday is that they seem to have found a more than capable replacement in Hyde.

He has been able to carry on where Fairthorne left off by getting quotes from some of the best known players in La Liga and Serie A. Incidentally, a few journalists in Spain have expressed surprise that Pique should have referred to Torres as "Nando" in one of Hyde's articles. Apparently this particular abbreviation is never normally used by any of the Spanish striker's team mates.

There is a voracious appetite amongst fans for reading about football and in particular speculation pertaining to the transfer market. Unfortunately it seems that certain unscrupulous elements within the media are willing to publish the occasional football related fabrication in order to exploit this growing demand.

When it comes to sensationalist football stories, particularly those emanating from the sports pages of the Daily Star Sunday, it is well worth remembering the old adage, "don't believe everything you read."[/quote']

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/473881-beware-sensationalist-football-stories-by-the-daily-star

Another Ba*ca player running his mouth.

Here is the truth about that and the Star

Right folks' date=' here's how it goes.

Whenever you see a 'quote' by a footballer in the Daily Star on Sunday, assume it's made up. In other words, the Star are a bunch of liars.

More specifically. a fella called Ben Fairthorne.

So that story about Pique talking about Torres being embarrassed to be in a Europa League team? Made up.

And that story about Sneijder and him wanting to play for the mancs? Complete fiction.

A bunch of proper journalists like Sid Lowe, Rafa Honigstein and Gab Marcotti have been tracking this chancer Fairthorne, and how he manages to get top quotes from every foreign star despite never being seen at these foreign locales, or not speaking any foreign language.

And here's what they've surmised:

Beware Sensationalist Football Stories in The Daily Star Sunday

A Twitter campaign is underway to highlight the number of football stories being broken by the Daily Star Sunday newspaper in England. All the articles in question share certain characteristics which have attracted the suspicion of a number of online commentators.

They all contain quotes from elite footballers from European leagues. None of the players in question speak English as a first language and many of them barely speak English at all. None of them habitually give interviews to the media either.

Yet the Daily Star Sunday has somehow managed to overcome this series of seemingly insurmountable obstacles to gain unprecedented access to these players.

You can see a selection of some of the contentious stories here. All of them are either written or co-written by Ben Fairthorne:

MEZUT OZIL: I DREAM OF PLAYING FOR MANCHESTER UNITED

DAVID SILVA LIKES THE LOOK OF CHELSEA

JOE HART SHOULD PLAY FOR MANCHESTER UNITED SAYS CASILLAS

TORRES V VIDIC: NOW IT’S PERSONAL

INIESTA: TORRES LOVES SKIPPER GERRARD

LIONEL MESSI: HODGSON WRONGED MASCHERANO IN TRANSFER SAGA

FABIO CAPELLO TOLD HE WAS WRONG TO END BECKHAM'S CAREER

GIGI BUFFON EXPOSES MANCHESTER CITY'S BACK FOUR FLAW

WORLD CUP 2010: WESLEY SNEIJDER IS EVEN BETTER THAN LIONEL MESSI

LIONEL MESSI: GUTIERREZ IS AS GOOD AS ROONEY AND FABREGAS!

JOSE MOURINHO TO SUCCEED ALEX FERGUSON IS A ‘DONE DEAL’

Do Fairthorne and his fellow Daily Star Sunday football writers genuinely enjoy unique access to the likes of Mezut Ozil, David Silva, Iker Casilla, David Villa, Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi, Gianluigi Buffon, Wesley Sneijder, and Andreas Pirlo?

A lot of football fans, including some well respected pundits, clearly feel that the answer is no. You can see some of the scrutiny which Fairthorne has been subjected to this week here: Twitter.

This morning's Daily Star Sunday carried a grand total of three stories featuring quotes from high profile European based players: WESLEY SNEIJDER: "I'D ONLY PLAY IN ENGLAND FOR MANCHESTER UTD", GERARD PIQUE: FERNANDO TORRES WILL BE ASHAMED OF EUROPA LEAGUE and, last but not least: MANCHESTER UNITED'S DIMITAR BERBATOV TIPPED FOR BALLON D'OR.

Interestingly enough, in the immediate aftermath of the Twitter allegations surrounding Fairthorne, his byline was not attached to any of the Daily Star on Sunday's dubious football pieces. Despite having already interviewed Sneijder once in recent months and his 'proven' track record of getting quotes from famous European footballers Fairthorne was surprisingly not given any of this week's assignments.

In fact the depressingly familiar ,name of Ben Fairthorne was nowhere to be seen. All three of today's stories were instead written by David Hyde, who doesn't appear to have any sort of previous experience of writing sports stories for the Daily Star Sunday.

Why has Fairthorne been taken off the case? Could it have something to do with the simmerings on Twitter? The good news for the Daily Star Sunday is that they seem to have found a more than capable replacement in Hyde.

He has been able to carry on where Fairthorne left off by getting quotes from some of the best known players in La Liga and Serie A. Incidentally, a few journalists in Spain have expressed surprise that Pique should have referred to Torres as "Nando" in one of Hyde's articles. Apparently this particular abbreviation is never normally used by any of the Spanish striker's team mates.

There is a voracious appetite amongst fans for reading about football and in particular speculation pertaining to the transfer market. Unfortunately it seems that certain unscrupulous elements within the media are willing to publish the occasional football related fabrication in order to exploit this growing demand.

When it comes to sensationalist football stories, particularly those emanating from the sports pages of the Daily Star Sunday, it is well worth remembering the old adage, "don't believe everything you read." [/quote']

they have a shocking away record tho mate and if you see the goals both were totally avoidable' date=' the second one YET AGAIN was from a cross down our left hand side (by my count the 5 of the 9 goals conceded that have come from that side)

at the stadium of light though, they are a match for most teams, i will give you that. very difficult place to get a result

edit: its not so much the result, its the way the team is set out, the managers reluctance to change [b']anything[/b] during the game unless he really has to (i.e. injuries or if its blindly obvious), the attitude that we have (going out for a draw against sunderland and west brom at home, brum away ffs) and that the same mistakes are being made every week, that is what is so annoying right now

I'd also argue that the players all seem absoultely devoid of confidence and that shows in their posession. Whereas Sunderland's passing was sharp, quick and looking to get forward, our passing looked sloppy, slow and lacking any creativity.

That for me is a major concern.

I have a bunch of things to talk about but unfortunately no time right now...

But I just want to say this....

Texas Rangers:

Hicks acquires the Texas Rangers in 1998 or '99 from GWBush. The Rangers win their division that year.

For the next 10 years under Hicks' ownership not only do they not win their division' date=' but they don't even make the playoffs any of those years. The team is abysmal.

2010 Hicks is forced to sell the team by MLB & the creditors.

2010 the Texas Rangers win their division.

This happened 10 minutes ago.

Just received a call from a friend in Dallas. The town is going crazy.

You can't make this stuff up...

[b']Aside

[/b]I have an update on finance stuff, but it is going to drive some of you insane. And rightly so... I'll get it together later.

Can't wait to see this!

Once again imho Roy got the tactics 100% wrong tonight :(

1) Why start so many first team players in an AWAY Europa League game AND THEN PLAY FOR THE DRAW! That's what I have a problem with. The Liverpool were layout was so negative and it was evident with both Lucas and Poulson starting Roy would be happy with 1 point. If you play the kids and get a draw, no worries. If you play the first team and play to hammer the opposition, that's all good. But when you start the first team away from home 3 days before a Premier League game and play such negative football... I just don't understand the reason behind that.

2) Why didn't N'gog come on. He's our ONLY player who's scoring goals atm, and he doesn't even get a substitute appearance. WHY? Yes Torres needs game time, so why not bring N'gog on alongside him? It seems Roy was scared to gamble in case it went wrong.

3) Liverpool were lucky to get 1 point. And it's always going to be that way with Poulsen and Lucas in the same team. If you don't put out a team who CAN win a game, and play for the draw there's always a chance of getting nothing. That's the reality. And Roy needs to see that soon. I also don't think Kuyt, Cole and Meireles worked well. In fact the opposite of well. I don't think either of them were playing in their best position - in fact I don't think they really knew where they were playing themselves. Kuyt seemed to be switching between forward and winger, which meant half of the game Johnson was forced to play as a wing back - causing an easy counter option for he opposition due to big gaps left at the back. Meireles seemed to be switching between AM and RW - neither of which are his optimum position. He should be playing box-to-box next to either Lucas or Poulsen. Cole was playing left wing, when his best position is clearly AM. He's much more of a threat in the latter position.

4) WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO LIVERPOOL'S DEFENCE. It was a shambles at best. 3 of the 5 years Rafa was here Liverpool had the best defensive record in the league. Now it's one of the worst. There's a big lack of communication at the back and Carragher's loss of pace and recent poor decision making is costing us. Furthermore, I think a big problem is man to man marking (despite what the press may have you believe). Why, because the players are used to positional marking at it was working very well for the team. Since changing we've conceded many more goals from set piece than we did previously and every set piece is a nervous moment now. Personally, I'd bring back Hyypia. Not as a coach, as a player. I'd play Agger alongside him and have Soto as my first choice back up. Liverpool's left back problem is still not solved either. Aurelio is permanently injured, Agger is the best centre back we have, and Kelly is certainly not a left back. That leaving us Paul as the only option. When he's injured (like today) the left back position will always be a week spot.

Wow. Who was that who said We need Torres more than he needs us?

Scrap that.

We need Ngog. :P

Liverpool didn't play like a team tonight. If I had no idea about football, I would have said Utrecht were a top 10 premier league team and Liverpool a bottom of the table team... Oh. :o

We're really going out hill and I can't believe N'gog (our best player this season) didn't start. He is no longer the player that people think that only plays when Torres is out, because N'gog looks like the best striker in the world compared to Torre's current form.

If we don't have Agger' date=' Kelly, Aurelio & Konchesky fit for Sunday (as suspected) who should we play at LB?

I can already see Roy putting in a 3rd defensive mid to protect the defense line if we have to play an inexperienced player at LB...[/quote']

Johnson can do the job at left back. Carragher's also played there before (although playing Carra at full back ain't a good idea any more). Personally, I'd love to see Mavinga get a chance against Blackpool, but I can't see it happening.

And N'gog HAS to start WITH Torres up front.

Johnson can do the job at left back. Carragher's also played there before (although playing Carra at full back ain't a good idea any more). Personally' date=' I'd love to see Mavinga get a chance against Blackpool, but I can't see it happening.

And N'gog HAS to start WITH Torres up front.[/quote']

I was thinking Johnson myself but if Kelly is out, would there be Carra at RB and Soto-Skrtel at CB or maybe Darby as RB? Personally, I'd like to see Robinson there, it SHOULDN'T be too challenging playing Blackpool at home... Have you guys seen the Jovanovic interview? http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23884228-jovanovic-i-could-leave.do

from the liverpool daily post today:

Liverpool FC needed an inspirational figure... instead they got Roy Hodgson

Oct 1 2010 By Ben Thornley, Head of Sport

AFTER the manner in which Rafa Benitez’s Anfield reign reached its conclusion this summer, Liverpool needed a manager to re-energise the club and its fans.

Instead, they got Roy Hodgson.

As bad decisions go, replacing the Spaniard with the Londoner was like swapping Javier Mascherano for Christian Poulsen. Or attempting to sign Carlton Cole as a "high quality" back-up for Fernando Torres.

Liverpool required an inspirational figure to light a fire under a club in the shadow of its toxic American owners, a motivator to realise the potential of a talented but underachieving group of players who stumbled to a poor seventh-place Premier League finish.

With so many key men known to be considering their futures and Champions League rivals Manchester City and Tottenham growing stronger by the season, a boss who could make an immediate impact should have been sought.

Not a steady hand for hire whose last big job was 11 years ago at Inter Milan – and only then in a caretaker role – and who had spent the best part of the last decade cruising towards retirement in Scandinavia.

Hodgson is a fine coach but he isn’t a Liverpool manager, and already it is apparent he is horribly out of his depth.

Indeed, when you hear the 63-year-old talk it takes a moment for it to register that he is Reds boss.

It’s not just the foreign accent of his two immediate predecessors that he lacks.

He has neither the arrogance or charisma of Gerard Houllier nor the unswerving self-assurance, pedigree and genius of Benitez – traits necessary to deal with the huge pressure that comes with the Anfield job.

There are times when Hodgson himself appears to forget he’s sitting in one of the game’s most prized hotseats.

He often seems too modest and almost embarrassed to say anything that would make him appear confident.

Certainly, some of his signings and transfer targets suggest that Hodgson still thinks he is at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson is, however, at least as defensively-minded as both Benitez and Houllier. Revealingly after last week’s humiliating home Carling Cup defeat to Northampton, Hodgson said that when his side went 2-1 down he had to "throw caution to the wind."

Liverpool were playing a struggling League Two side. At Anfield.

Caution shouldn’t come in to the equation.

Equally as unforgivable was Hodgson’s failure to defend Fernando Torres against Mr. Ferguson’s accusations of cheating, with the former Fulham boss more interested in preserving his friendship with the United manager than defending the reputation of a star player.

The Scot after all can only be pally with a manager he doesn’t perceive to be a threat to him – and there’s no danger of Liverpool challenging Manchester United this term.

Or even the top four.

After playing the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal so far this term, it has been suggested that the Reds are not as bad as the table suggests.

Liverpool, however, looked no more likely to beat Sunderland or Birmingham than they did the Red Devils or City.

It feels wrong to judge a manager so early and perhaps Hodgson does deserve more time to make his mark at Anfield, but there hasn’t even been a glimmer of hope that things will improve.

This side’s strength if nothing else has always been its resoluteness and organisation, yet despite taking an even more cautious approach than Benitez the defence appears shakier than at any time since the Roy Evans era. And for all the criticism of Benitez’s favoured zonal marking system, at least players contested set pieces.

It might be considered too un-Liverpool to axe a manager so prematurely, going down an unwanted road travelled by the likes of Newcastle.

Sometimes, though, it is braver to admit that you got it wrong in the first place.

How long to do you leave it? Until Christmas or the end of the season? Time is something the club don’t have.

Another season outside of the Champions League is likely to prompt the exits of Jose Reina and Fernando Torres.

And if it’s the same men brokering their moves away who negotiated the paltry sum for Mascherano, Liverpool won’t even be suitably compensated.

Even then would Hodgson – who paid £7.5m for Kevin Davies while at Blackburn – be the best man to spend the money?

Worryingly, he is already trying to reduce expectations at Liverpool by suggesting after the defeat to Northampton and the draw to Sunderland that the fans needed to lower their hopes for the forthcoming season.

Liverpool fans and their crazy ambitions of beating the Black Cats and the Cobblers at Anfield, eh?

The last time the 18 times champions of England made such a poor start to the season was during Graeme Souness’ second term in charge.

Had David Moores moved as quickly to end the former midfielder’s disastrous reign as he did to accept Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s money, then maybe Liverpool’s title drought would not now stand at 20 years and counting.

Sticking by a manager is only noble if you have the right boss. Nothing in the past nor present suggests Hodgson is.

The Souness years – from which the club has never recovered – showed what can happen if you keep faith in the wrong man.

It’s not as if there isn’t a ready-made replacement at Anfield in Kenny Dalglish, the man to whom the club should have turned in the first place.

Instead, a Liverpool board described by Benitez as knowing "nothing about football" made the mistake of going for the man of the moment, hiring Hodgson on the strength of one good season after forcing the Spaniard’s exit because of one poor campaign.

For now, though, the ownership issue is the most pressing challenge facing the club.

After all, the root cause of Liverpool's decline is a lack of investment in the squad for three years, exacerbated by a handful of poor transfer decisions by Benitez admittedly. Appointing Hodgson, however, has only accelerated the Reds' regression.

hard to disagree with any of that tbh