Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Had he purchased a better striker' date=' or played a tactic where Sterling wasn't the focal point when we know how poor he is at finishing it could of been different.

Brad Jones was terrible, I'd have backed Mignolet to have stopped at least one of the goals. Lovren is the most pathetic defender ive ever seen.[/quote']

Most of your fans I know wanted Sterling as a focal point if needed last season. Seems like your boy Brenton was just doing his job and doing what the masses of non match day goers wanted is all.

Let's face it the team still needs investment, is Rodgers the one to do that? Absolutely not his transfer record is atrocious, tactics are baffling, and subsitutions are ridiculous. We were seemingly settling well with Lucas at dm we looked far more balanced and the cheek of Rodgers to say he doesn't want to play that way and go back to a formation that does not work is stupid and arrogant.

Hes now officially doing worse than Hodgson was and the football is probably worse. The season is over in the space of a week.

Doesn't change the fact that defensively we're a laughing stock and have been for some time. Everyone knows were not scoring goals atm so you have to tighten up at the back it's not rocket science but BR doesn't know how to set teams up to defend. Everyone raving about De Gea and whilst I think he played well all the saves he made were made saveable for me by woeful finishing. Spent a ton of money and lets be honest none of them look up to it.

Absolutely' date=' can't really justify the defensive display today. Obviously Rodgers has to take some blame for that, but what about the players? Rodgers can't coach two professional footballers how to not let Valencia canter past them like they're not there. He can't coach Coutinho to not just leave his man. Those are things the players have to deal with themselves.

There's also not much Rodgers can do about the player's poor finishing. If they had taken their chances (which they are more than capable of doing) we would likely have taken at least a point from today's game.

Had he purchased a better striker, or played a tactic where Sterling wasn't the focal point when we know how poor he is at finishing it could of been different.

Brad Jones was terrible, I'd have backed Mignolet to have stopped at least one of the goals. Lovren is the most pathetic defender ive ever seen.

Who could he have purchased that would definitely have been an improvement? It's easy to look back now and say that Balotelli hasn't been a great signing. But that's the risk you take with any player.

His tactics today provided more than enough opportunities to get something from the game. At that point, the players have to take a look at themselves and work out why they couldn't take those chances. Not even the three great chances for Sterling and Balotelli - Henderson also had a great chance with a header. Moreno would have been in with a better touch. The players weren't good enough today in front of goal, and you really can't pin all the blame on the manager for that.

I didn't meant the game. The whole plot' date=' he lost it.

Anyway, can you explain the reasoning behind Moreno substitution?[/quote']

Moreno was having a shocker defensively. United were having a lot of joy down his side. We needed more creativity in attack so why not Markovic? He didn't even play badly - the last goal certainly wasn't his fault, nor would it have been avoided had Moreno still been on the pitch.

Absolutely' date=' can't really justify the defensive display today. Obviously Rodgers has to take some blame for that, but what about the players? Rodgers can't coach two professional footballers how to not let Valencia canter past them like they're not there. He can't coach Coutinho to not just leave his man. Those are things the players have to deal with themselves.

There's also not much Rodgers can do about the player's poor finishing. If they had taken their chances (which they are more than capable of doing) we would likely have taken at least a point from today's game.

Who could he have purchased that would definitely have been an improvement? It's easy to look back now and say that Balotelli hasn't been a great signing. But that's the risk you take with any player.

His tactics today provided more than enough opportunities to get something from the game. At that point, the players have to take a look at themselves and work out why they couldn't take those chances. Not even the three great chances for Sterling and Balotelli - Henderson also had a great chance with a header. Moreno would have been in with a better touch. The players weren't good enough today in front of goal, and you really can't pin all the blame on the manager for that.

Moreno was having a shocker defensively. United were having a lot of joy down his side. We needed more creativity in attack so why not Markovic? He didn't even play badly - the last goal certainly wasn't his fault, nor would it have been avoided had Moreno still been on the pitch.[/quote']

The way he set up left us completely open in defence again, in my opinion watching these players play they look like they've lost confidence in Rodgers rumours of rifts between Gerrard and Lovren as well as a few others, his treatment of Lallana as well is baffling especially with how poor Coutinho was playing, he has this habit of subbing our best players, you have to ask the questions ehy Can isn't playing over Allen and why Sakho and Kolo can't get past Lovren

Moreno was having a shocker defensively. United were having a lot of joy down his side. We needed more creativity in attack so why not Markovic? He didn't even play badly - the last goal certainly wasn't his fault' date=' nor would it have been avoided had Moreno still been on the pitch.[/quote']

Doesn't make any sense. You subs off player due to his defensive display, yet bring attacking player (for his creativity) to accommodate the defensive part, where's the logic?

If he so wanted to bring in Markovic, he could always take off one of Lovren or Skrtel. Preferably, Lovren.

Sterling should start from the bench, his performance lately have been a massive letdown.

Bournemouth next, let hope we can get something in 90 minutes time.

I agree u cant pin everything on BR but when players are consistently bad then I'm afraid the book stops with the manager. They are his signings after all.

EDIT: Liverpool have won 2 of their past 10 games (in all comps). Now club's lowest points tally, after 16 games, since 1964-65.

Before today we had 7 points from the last 3 prem matches which coincided with the introduction of Lucas as the holding midfielder. As we can't score goals atm I thought Rodgers had finally twigged we need to sure up as a defensive unit.

That totally went out of the window today, the team lineup was bizarre. I'm not surprised our defense looks disjointed because the back four (or three) is different every single game. Lovren must dream of the days he had Schneiderlin and Wanyama playing in front of him protecting him.

Also how Can can't get in ahead of Allen is unbelievable, we needed a driving force in the center of midfield today, Henderson did it a lot last season but was out on the right and Gerro isn't box to box anymore like Can is.

Said it before, will say it again. Was prevoiusly flamed by a section of our fans saying oh how dare you point the finger at our owners when they allocate the money for Rodgers and his committee to spend.

It is pointless to point the gun at Rodgers in regards to the transfer market particularly due to the fact that he doesn't have full control over transfers. Our record in the transfer market starts from the hierarchy at the top. Our owners are just not ambitious enough in regards to competing for top talent.

Changing managers wont do a single thing.

Rodgers has shown last season he has the tactical fortitude Suarez or not. I don't think even Jose could do much better with the current squad. Our best player is a 19 year old with our best striker out injured.

As fans we need to question why we fail in the transfer market. Are our owners reluctant to pay top wages and so settle on 80-90K players such as Lallanas and Markovic and thus miss out on 170K a week Costa and Sanchez ?

I don't really ponder too much about the Costa deal because of the Jose factor. But Arsenal should not be really pipping us to a player who would have been the ideal replacement for Suarez.

Carragher has also raised questions about the so called 'Transfer Committee'. Think we all should as opposed to pointing the gun at Rodgers.

I really have no idea how we lost that game 3-0, for large parts I thought we were the better side and more than matched United in a lot of facets yet again poor goals conceded alongside some poor finishing and an inspired goalkeeper have left us frustrated.

I really don't know why people are criticising Rodgers tactically, as for me he tactically got most things spot on today and we were a lot more fluid, passed the ball better and created more chances in this one game than in a series of games in recent weeks. There were many positive things.

Agree with MTS you can't blame Rodgers for the goals, it is individual mistakes yet again, you can't think Rodgers don't tell Allen and Moreno to stand like dummies and Coutinho not to track his man for the first goal. The second goal is a couple of yards offside, and the third is simply down to Lovren not being able to kick a ball..or for that matter tell Brad Jones to dive the opposite way to where the ball is going on two occasions..nothing to do with shape etc all individual errors.

See a lot of people giving Sterling stick but I thought the majority of his game was excellent, the movement intelligence of his runs, ability to beat a man was fantastic, yes his finishing left a lot to be desired but at least he was getting the chances and that Is more than can be said for most of our strikers all season.

The difference again was individual errors, the fact United have a world class keeper and were more clinical.

Lovren is an absolute calamity at the minute though never mind Mignolet for a second but Lovren can be directly attributed to seven goals this season, he is just playing awful and needs for his own good to be taken out the firing line unless as a last resort, how far is Sakho from fitness??

But Arsenal should not be really pipping us to a player who would have been the ideal replacement for Suarez.

Carragher has also raised questions about the so called 'Transfer Committee'. Think we all should as opposed to pointing the gun at Rodgers.

I don't buy the excuse that the Sanchez deal was impossible because he wanted to live in London' date=' any player can be tempted if you offer them the right amount. Just a poor excuse imo, if we seriously wanted him then we'd have gotten him. So in parts I agree that FSG are letting us down with this wage thing they have in place.. Gary Neville brought up a good point too, out transfer incomings were something like £140m and outgoings around £100.. £40m net spend isn't good enough for CL teams.

Hes now officially doing worse than Hodgson was and the football is probably worse. The season is over in the space of a week.

Agreed.. this is the worst I've ever seen us play since I've been alive. :o

Liverpool>London.

Not if you've got a disposable income in the top level footballer territory. I'm not a big fan of London at all but it does have everything you could want, particularly if you can pay for it.

To all those moaning about the squad; it's Rodgers' squad. He's been at Liverpool for a long time now and should have the players he wants - especially after being able to spend so much in the summer.

Rodgers has to work with what he has got and that is not a lot. He has no goal keeper worth playing and his team can not control the ball like they did.

Without De Gea could of been 3-3 easily

Rodgers needs soo much to turn the team around but i would not trust him with a lot of money as his buys have 90% of the time have flopped hard.

Said it before' date=' will say it again. Was prevoiusly flamed by a section of our fans saying oh how dare you point the finger at our owners when they allocate the money for Rodgers and his committee to spend.

It is pointless to point the gun at Rodgers in regards to the transfer market particularly due to the fact that he doesn't have full control over transfers. Our record in the transfer market starts from the hierarchy at the top. Our owners are just not ambitious enough in regards to competing for top talent.

Changing managers wont do a single thing.

Rodgers has shown last season he has the tactical fortitude Suarez or not. I don't think even Jose could do much better with the current squad. Our best player is a 19 year old with our best striker out injured.

As fans we need to question why we fail in the transfer market. Are our owners reluctant to pay top wages and so settle on 80-90K players such as Lallanas and Markovic and thus miss out on 170K a week Costa and Sanchez ?

I don't really ponder too much about the Costa deal because of the Jose factor. But Arsenal should not be really pipping us to a player who would have been the ideal replacement for Suarez.

Carragher has also raised questions about the so called 'Transfer Committee'. Think we all should as opposed to pointing the gun at Rodgers.[/quote']

While you rise interesting topic regarding financial backing from owner, I would not be too sure about some of your points.

From the day one, they have been backing the club financially; bought us out of the administration, zero-interest loan, transfers budget, development of the new stadium, and not to mention marketing/sponsor strategy that attract some of the biggest sponsor in today market.

It is not their fault if the managers and the 'transfer committee' is incompetent in term of dealing with transfer. The money is there. It is not like the owner is not giving money or worst leeching the money themselves.

At the end of the day, a good manager would get a result regardless of the players that he have in his disposal; not saying Rodgers is no good at all, but if you keep being stubborn and can't at least worked something out from the new depth that the club finally have, something must be wrong.

He wants depths, the owner gave him depths, and 100+M is as good as any owner would backing their club for.

As for slating the owner, I don't think we would have all the Sanchezs, Marias and Costas under Hick and Gillett either.

See a lot of people giving Sterling stick but I thought the majority of his game was excellent' date=' the movement intelligence of his runs, ability to beat a man was fantastic, yes his finishing left a lot to be desired but at least he was getting the chances and that Is more than can be said for most of our strikers all season.[/quote']

You don't think he deserved some of the stick he was given? His performance are truly uninspiring at some point, I remember in one game back then he was totally invisible in the entire half of the match.

He already got a status of first team player for us and maybe England, and big fat contract, so I think it should be the time to drawn the line between exceptional youngster to a real proper first team player. And believe me, if he was bought in the last transfer windows, he would get twice the stick he was given now, for that recent performance of his.

Rodgers has to work with what he has got and that is not a lot. He has no goal keeper worth playing and his team can not control the ball like they did.

Without De Gea could of been 3-3 easily

Rodgers needs soo much to turn the team around but i would not trust him with a lot of money as his buys have 90% of the time have flopped hard.

Rodgers bought Mignolet and sold Reina. Whilst the former's poor performances are mostly down to the player himself, it is on Rodgers for having him at the club in place of an established PL keeper.

And wasn't this summer supposed to be that turnaround? He brought in a massive 8 new players, using all of the Suarez money and then some to revamp both first team and squad.

@Ste G's earlier comment, maybe you couldn't afford to invest more than £40m this summer? FFP's for everyone, not just PSG and Man City.

Its hardly the owners fault. The manager has been given the funds to buy big players but has settled with mediocrity. He might not have signed big names but he paid big fees. The fact that Kolo Toure, Brad Jones and Lambert have started for us in the last couple weeks is down to poor poor signings from Rodgers.

Thought we were unlucky today really. We played decent actually just our finishing was poor and De Gea was immense. And our defense was obviously a calamity. I wouldnt be blaming Sterling, he actually played well really. He made good runs to get the chances and was creative. Obviously his finishing was poor but without him we wouldnt have even had the chances. He isnt a striker, a second striker at most.

While you rise interesting topic regarding financial backing from owner' date=' I would not be too sure about some of your points.

From the day one, they have been backing the club financially; bought us out of the administration, zero-interest loan, transfers budget, development of the new stadium, and not to mention marketing/sponsor strategy that attract some of the biggest sponsor in today market.

It is not their fault if the managers and the 'transfer committee' is incompetent in term of dealing with transfer. The money is there. It is not like the owner is not giving money or worst leeching the money themselves.

At the end of the day, a good manager would get a result regardless of the players that he have in his disposal; not saying Rodgers is no good at all, but if you keep being stubborn and can't at least worked something out from the new depth that the club finally have, something must be wrong.

He wants depths, the owner gave him depths, and 100+M is as good as any owner would backing their club for.

As for slating the owner, I don't think we would have all the Sanchezs, Marias and Costas under Hick and Gillett either.

You don't think he deserved some of the stick he was given? His performance are truly uninspiring at some point, I remember in one game back then he was totally invisible in the entire half of the match.

He already got a status of first team player for us and maybe England, and big fat contract, so I think it should be the time to drawn the line between exceptional youngster to a real proper first team player. And believe me, if he was bought in the last transfer windows, he would get twice the stick he was given now, for that recent performance of his.[/quote']

I agree with you that our owners saved us from the brink of administration, but to suggest they are capable of competing for major trophies is entirely another thing.

They are shrewd business men and they have a say in everything financial that happens our our club. They didn't purchase the club because they are fans, they purchased the club because they saw it as a financial opportunity.

I think everyone is really naive to suggest Rodgers is responsible for all the transfer blunders particularly when the buck stops with the owners. The owners are responsible for everything financial regarding the club. From ticket prices to transfers.

You keep throwing the blame at blame at Rodgers/ Transfer Committee particularly when the transfer committee was instilled by FSG. It was their idea to use the committee hence they must equally shoulder the blame. What really is alarming is the lack of football expertise up in the heriachy. I am not convinced our owners know enough to succeed in this sport. Were insisting on using the money money ball model the used in baseball despite it not working well for us.

What really concerns me is that we can't compete financially in the transfer market in terms of wages and this is the point which is MOST important when signing a player along with the respective transfer fee.

We did not press hard enough to sign Sanchez and I suspect it was down to wages with or committee/owners doing the Lallana Lambert Markovic combo deal instead of offering £200k for Sanchez.

As mentioned before money is the defining factor. I don't recall Aguero Di Maria Tevez Van Persie Yaya Silva Nasri turning down Manchester for geographical reasons.

Even Eto moved to Russia for wages !

It's pathetic for our club to use that as a excuse to divert attention from our financial restraints. It's much better to come and state we can't compete for players like Sanchez as opposed to using geography as an excuse.

At this point what can Rodgers do ?

It's simply not good enough. It's partially Rodgers fault for building a whole team around a player that will not be here in the long term along with the fact that he's been left high and dry by the men upstairs.

Either way someone should be held accountable. Our owners/ committee should have planned early for replacing Suarez particularly after he signed that 200K contract.

Signing a Southampton playmaker and an unknown sprint pony from Benfica won't cut it.

You don't think he deserved some of the stick he was given? His performance are truly uninspiring at some point' date=' I remember in one game back then he was totally invisible in the entire half of the match.

He already got a status of first team player for us and maybe England, and big fat contract, so I think it should be the time to drawn the line between exceptional youngster to a real proper first team player. And believe me, if he was bought in the last transfer windows, he would get twice the stick he was given now, for that recent performance of his.[/quote']

No I don't, in fact I think your continued criticism of him is absolutely ludicrous. All the problems we have in this side and you constantly pick on Sterling who has been our best performer all season and why that is beyond total comprehension.

You can criticise his finishing today but you can't criticise his performance his all round display was excellent. The strength he showed, his intelligence and movement was fantastic, linked up well with those around him and done more in that single game than Lambo/Balo have all season.

What you seem to not give him credit for is that this is not his position but even though it is a position total alien to him he still found the movement and know how to get into positions and create chances, Fair enough he missed e chances today but at least he made chances, at least he got chances something our other strikers have barely done all season.

He is a young kid who basically is having the entire burden of carrying in an attacking sense this side at present, a totally unfair position to place on a young player and he is giving his all constantly, always putting in 100% effort and has easily been our best player this season and the only player who consistently looks like he can actually make things happen and affect things in a positive attacking sense.

So what if he was invisible in a half somewhere this season look at the number of players who have been pretty dismal all season yet you continually pick on him it ain't fair and it ain't warranted.

I must say 3-0 flatters United today but is anyone really surprised by this?

De Gea had an excellent game, but again would anyone expect much different from someone who's IMO 3rd best in the world right now?

Your attack today was really poor, but I feel so sorry for Sterling, I tracked him for large periods of the game and he was trying so hard to be in good positions for you but he's just not a CF and why Rodgers decided to put all that pressure on him I don't know. Admittedly his finishing was sub par, but anyone would struggle to score past De Gea right now let alone a young winger playing out of position in arguably the biggest game of the season for his club.

I know I've brought it up before and been accused of trolling but again the lack of Suarez and Sturridge, two players capable of playing quick football, making good runs and finishing chances is seriously damaging Liverpool's chances of getting top 4 this year. I think the loss of Suarez is the biggest change this year to Liverpool, even with Sturridge your threat is going to be one dimensional, Sturridge will be marked in games, as everyone will know he's the player to stop and although this will create a bit more space who realistically will exploit it other than Sterling and Coutinho who cannot be relied on all season like Suarez?

Toothless upfront and defensively a shambles, Valencia look amazing today which is really the biggest insult I could give you right now.

I really do not see much light at the end of Liverpool's tunnel right now and what little light you have in Sterling won't stick around to be criticised unfairly when he is so blatantly trying his best at such a young age.

I would hate to be Sturridge because as soon as he's in the team the pressure will fall on his shoulders to carry you forward and I genuinely do not see how he will change this because defensively you are worse than United IMO.