Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

The name' date=' in the same way that the brand "Liverpool" is still attractive for their achievements in the pre-EPL era. Any midfielder who is given the privilege of inheriting his #8 jersey will cream himself there and then.

Once he's gone, the hype dies out.[/quote']

If there is such thing about hype, I think it's already diminished or gone once Gerrard announced he will be leaving.

He's an attraction for the name alone' date=' while he may be past it he's still someone that a player would go 'Yeah i'd love to work with him', the chance to train and just be around someone who has been there and done that is very attractive for top youths, IE like Odegaard. [/quote']

It may worked in the last few transfer windows, but I don't think it's gonna work this time, since he publicly announced his future plan.

I don't think that make a strong case of attracting players, and not really a valid reason for transferring here because of wants to play with Gerrard (just for a few months).

Potential transfers knew Gerrard gonna be gone at the end of the season, so that's kinda far fetched.

I'd never say theres a good chance of us signing people because we tip toe around deals in order to save money, the most likely outcome is another prem team (Spurs, Chelsea) will come in and nab him for a decent fee and we'll end up splurging a ridiculous amount on Berahino.
He scored lots last night tho. :P

Anybody who under estimates Gerrard's importance to Liverpool in all facets of e club both playing, commercially, attraction, pulling power, status, presence etc etc is a fool....

The end of an era when he leaves with Carra leaving in 2013, Suarez in 2014 and Gerrard in 2015 our whole identity is being changed especially with the loss of the local lads, gunna be a fundamental change for the whole club now

Anybody who under estimates Gerrard's importance to Liverpool in all facets of e club both playing' date=' commercially, attraction, pulling power, status, presence etc etc is a fool....

The end of an era when he leaves with Carra leaving in 2013, Suarez in 2014 and Gerrard in 2015 our whole identity is being changed especially with the loss of the local lads, gunna be a fundamental change for the whole club now[/quote']

No doubt he's important I wanted him to relax more into the super sub position because of how important he would be behind the scenes and in the dressing room. I completely agree with Carra that he should have been offered a coaching role and allowed to tackle that with his football in the same way Giggs did and then shadow Rodgers.

But on the basis of form and current level of playing ability I don't think a strong case can be made for him starting unless he's given a more attacking role with less defensive duties.

If there is such thing about hype' date=' I think it's already diminished or gone once Gerrard announced he will be leaving.

[/quote']

How many people had openly spoken about wanting to be SAF's successor prior to his retirement? Same story, different protagonists. That #8 jersey by itself should be strong enough to lure in (at least) one top class player, let alone others if/when he gets involved with a more directorial role in the club.

How many people had openly spoken about wanting to be SAF's successor prior to his retirement? Same story' date=' different protagonists. That #8 jersey by itself should be strong enough to lure in (at least) one top class player, let alone others if/when he gets involved with a more directorial role in the club.[/quote']

Different situation. You can't compared players and managers. Also, you can't expect players / mangers to walk in and become their successor of the said icon. It just didn't happen like that.

Who do you have in mind that will be taking a gamble on this transfer to Liverpool and try to having a shot to replaced Gerrard or get those #8 jersey?

There will never be someone that can replicate what Gerrard have done for Liverpool.

There will never be someone that can replicate what Gerrard have done for Liverpool.

Hi. I would like to clarify somthing on your post' date=' please don't take it the wrong way which you most likely will.

When you say know one can replicate what he has done, do you mean only goal wise? As in, he has scored some good goals for Liverpool and popped up at the right time to win them many matches.

Trophie wise, there is next to nothing besides the CL. There has only be one trophie he has won that you would consider a big achievement and that was the CL.

So when you say replicate you mean the odd goal he has scored for Liverpool? the odd game here and there he has managed to win for them? Of course, he has been a great leader, a mature and wise leader, skipper no doubt. I state again, don't take my post the wrong way or that I'm implying anything bad towards him. I have to be very careful when I post in the liverpool thread as do many others not to upset many liverpool fans on here because I know you lot are very sensitive when it comes to your team. ?[/color']

No doubt he's important I wanted him to relax more into the super sub position because of how important he would be behind the scenes and in the dressing room. I completely agree with Carra that he should have been offered a coaching role and allowed to tackle that with his football in the same way Giggs did and then shadow Rodgers.

But on the basis of form and current level of playing ability I don't think a strong case can be made for him starting unless he's given a more attacking role with less defensive duties.

It seems he does not want to be a super sub,this is why is leaving.

There were times when the fans wanted Gerrard to be dropped due to form or whatever reason, and even stating Rodgers do not dare to do so. And when he was dropped, Liverpool's play was better imo. And I agree that Gerrard does not want to be used as an impact sub or burden the team, club or manager, so he has made a very tough choice by leaving. He could have chosen to retire like Carrangher, but I guess he feels he has some fuel left in the tank.

Some interesting quote's from Gerrards interview with LFC TV regarding the manager. I think a lot of Liverpool supporters myself included wonder what Gerro really thinks of Brendan Rodgers:

"I wish I was 24, I wish I'd met Brendan when I was 24 because I think I'd be sitting here talking about a lot of titles that we'd won together. The reality is, Brendan came into this club when I was 32 years of age and it's a shame that relationship didn't start 10 years ago."

A ringing endorsement of the manager there, from a player who has played under many. He didn't need to say it either. Sometimes from what I read in the press it seems their relationship is strained but from those quotes Gerrard clearly respects the guy as a manger.

Hi. I would like to clarify somthing on your post' date=' please don't take it the wrong way which you most likely will.

When you say know one can replicate what he has done, do you mean only goal wise? As in, he has scored some good goals for Liverpool and popped up at the right time to win them many matches.

Trophie wise, there is next to nothing besides the CL. There has only be one trophie he has won that you would consider a big achievement and that was the CL.

So when you say replicate you mean the odd goal he has scored for Liverpool? the odd game here and there he has managed to win for them? Of course, he has been a great leader, a mature and wise leader, skipper no doubt. I state again, don't take my post the wrong way or that I'm implying anything bad towards him. I have to be very careful when I post in the liverpool thread as do many others not to upset many liverpool fans on here because I know you lot are very sensitive when it comes to your team. [/color']

I am going to rip into this because you are being ignorant on purpose. You know very well his influence and ability and yet you choose to be annoying and attempt to troll the thread.

Please stop. Also spelling is not difficult to master, please do it, reading through your post is like trawling through a minefield.

I am going to rip into this because you are being ignorant on purpose. You know very well his influence and ability and yet you choose to be annoying and attempt to troll the thread.

Please stop. Also spelling is not difficult to master' date=' please do it, reading through your post is like trawling through a minefield.[/quote']

I stated my post and which way to take it. I spoke about his influence and how he was a good leader and a Captian on the field.

What's that gotta do with it? I mentioned his role in the team was good, being skipper and all. Once again, I am talking about what he actually won not his role in the team.

Please read post carefully.

You can take it how ever you want.

Once again, liverpool fans resort to using the word "troll". Yes u guys need to stop doing that. My post was written with time and thought.

Please stop. Also spelling is not difficult to master' date=' please do it, reading through your post is like trawling through a minefield.[/quote']

Sorry Tom but Tony is right here.

He's mentioned that Gerrard is a good leader but is posing of how difficult will it be to replace his statistical impact on games, goals, assists etc rather than the unseen qualities.

It's a valid question.

My post was written with time and thought.

No it was not.....when he says nobody could replicate what he has done he means I. Terms of making big performances and winning trophies almost single handedly by himself in a side which was nowhere near the level of ability as those of other sides.

Could any other player have done what Gerrard did in some of the biggest games in Liverpool's history......I highly doubt it.

Whatever makes you happy Tony....

Gerrard has won ten major trophies in his career and that is more than 99.9% of footballers ever will....

Plus that one CL trophy with Liverpool will mean more to him than 25 trophies at another club ever would.

He's mentioned that Gerrard is a good leader but is posing of how difficult will it be to replace his statistical impact on games' date=' goals, assists etc rather than the unseen qualities.

It's a valid question.[/quote']

The best teams are greater than the sum of their parts. Madrid's Galacticos (initial) suffered because they didn't knit as a team whereas Barcelona had less superstars but all sung from the same page and were much more successful.

When Liverpool had good seasons, Gerrard seemed to be the guy holding everything together. Being outstanding himself whilst raising the level of his (often rather average) team mates. You need only look at Liverpool's line up in the '05 CL final to see that as a leader, Gerrard is one of the best in recent years.

That trait is going to be far harder to replace or replicate than any statistical entity he provided. I don't think anyone in the Liverpool squad currently can inspire nearly as much as Gerrard did and buying someone in to fill that gap is always difficult as they're in a very new setting.

I dont see how trophies are marked as such a big indicator of how good an individual is. Gerrard has never had the opportunity to play on teams as good as what the likes of Giggs or Beckham or Lampard or Scholes have played with. To imply that somehow makes him worse is just ridiculous. Team failings are not an indication of personal talents always ... because otherwise Anderson is better than Gerrard.

The best teams are greater than the sum of their parts. Madrid's Galacticos (initial) suffered because they didn't knit as a team whereas Barcelona had less superstars but all sung from the same page and were much more successful.

When Liverpool had good seasons' date=' Gerrard seemed to be the guy holding everything together. Being outstanding himself whilst raising the level of his (often rather average) team mates. You need only look at Liverpool's line up in the '05 CL final to see that as a leader, Gerrard is one of the best in recent years.

That trait is going to be far harder to replace or replicate than any statistical entity he provided. I don't think anyone in the Liverpool squad currently can inspire nearly as much as Gerrard did and buying someone in to fill that gap is always difficult as they're in a very new setting.[/quote']

Again though Stu this is well covered ground, everyone appreciates his leadership abilities, but I believe Tony is saying is it really going to be that hard to replace his goals, assists etc especially given his lesser role in recent years.

I know that Gerrard has been one of the best midfielders in the PL for many years that for me is without question.

I stated my post and which way to take it. I spoke about his influence and how he was a good leader and a Captian on the field.

What's that gotta do with it? I mentioned his role in the team was good' date=' being skipper and all. Once again, I am talking about what he actually won not his role in the team.

Please read post carefully.

You can take it how ever you want.

Once again, liverpool fans resort to using the word "troll". Yes u guys need to stop doing that. My post was written with time and thought.[/color']

No. His point was that Gerrard's influence and ability will not be replaced and that fact is correct. And if you want to argue about replacing his goals, who pops up and hits that goal against Olympiakos, who wills Liverpool back from three goals down in the CL Final, who hits that goal against West Ham in the 06 Cup Final. Those things are not replacable.

Yes, he's no longer the player of back then, but he still pulls out big games, I mean we did play terribly against Basel, but he did hit a free-kick that was the kind of stuff that is irreplacable.

To consider your post had time and thought in it is a joke, you're absolutely delusional.

He's mentioned that Gerrard is a good leader but is posing of how difficult will it be to replace his statistical impact on games' date=' goals, assists etc rather than the unseen qualities.

It's a valid question.[/quote']

It's not really a valid question. The point was that whether or not anyone could replace Gerrard, and the answer is no. Much like how no one can replace Giggs or Scholes or Vieira or Henry etc. They are all legends in their all rights, and even if some players didn't contribute through statistics, they were all irreplacable.

When Liverpool had good seasons' date=' Gerrard seemed to be the guy holding everything together. Being outstanding himself whilst raising the level of his (often rather average) team mates. You need only look at Liverpool's line up in the '05 CL final to see that as a leader, Gerrard is one of the best in recent years.

That trait is going to be far harder to replace or replicate than any statistical entity he provided. I don't think anyone in the Liverpool squad currently can inspire nearly as much as Gerrard did and buying someone in to fill that gap is always difficult as they're in a very new setting.[/quote']

This is from someone who bashes Liverpool on a consistent basis and he's disagreeing with you Tony and Ben.

I'm not discarding his role in the team and what he has done over the years, blind freddy can see he held them and lifted them up more times then not.

I am just seeing his role in the team different then to some liverpool fans. That is more so because of the small amount of trophies he has one there.

Yes he won the CL not taking it away from him. I will wait for vendetta to respond as the post was for him. I won't reply to anymore posts about this because I can see where this is headed.

Again though Stu this is well covered ground' date=' everyone appreciates his leadership abilities, but I believe Tony is saying is it really going to be that hard to replace his goals, assists etc especially given his lesser role in recent years.

I know that Gerrard has been one of the best midfielders in the PL for many years that for me is without question.[/quote']

Yes, we all agree that Gerrard is no longer the midfielder he was a five or so years ago, but the point I'm making is that Tony is being obtuse by cherry-picking the ideas. He is intentionally trying to annoy people with his comments.

He thinks he's being clever and witty, but honestly, it's just annoying.

Yes' date=' we all agree that Gerrard is no longer the midfielder he was a five or so years ago, but the point I'm making is that Tony is being obtuse by cherry-picking the ideas. He is intentionally trying to annoy people with his comments.

He thinks he's being clever and witty, but honestly, it's just annoying.[/quote']

No I'm not. This is a forum to post what you are thinking, feeling I done that. You can take it how ever you want I can't help that.

Please try to leave your hostility and anger aside. Am doing no such thing. I made valid points. Your turning this into a totally different thing. That is my view on Gerrard I can't help if you don't like it you a free to disagree, but please, don't suggest things about me because YOU think that.

I dont see how trophies are marked as such a big indicator of how good an individual is. Gerrard has never had the opportunity to play on teams as good as what the likes of Giggs or Beckham or Lampard or Scholes have played with. To imply that somehow makes him worse is just ridiculous. Team failings are not an indication of personal talents always ... because otherwise Anderson is better than Gerrard.

Agreed here, having this very discussion on the PL thread. Gerrard is a PL great no question about it and his dedication is made all the greater considering he was not in a very successful side like Giggs and Scholes were. It's easier to stay at a high flying team than one struggling to get silverware.

Agreed here' date=' having this very discussion on the PL thread. Gerrard is a PL great no question about it and his dedication is made all the greater considering he was not in a very successful side like Giggs and Scholes were. It's easier to stay at a high flying team than one struggling to get silverware.[/quote']

Yup its a lot easier to look good surrounded by world class players as opposed to carrying the team and someones a lot of mediocre players. What legacy he leaves is one of leadership, goals, carrying the team for stretches of his career, being a world class one club player and a few trophies. Think of that FA Cup Final or Istanbul and his roles in both of those. Add in all the goals he scored against United and Everton.

When you look in wiki under his honours section its not too bad, even if some are a bit odd:

Club

FA Cup (2): 2000–01,[210] 2005–06[211]

League Cup (3): 2000–01,[212] 2002–03,[213] 2011–12[214]

FA Community Shield (1): 2006[215]

UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05[216]

UEFA Cup (1): 2000–01[217]

UEFA Super Cup (2): 2001,[218] 2005

Individual

Ballon d'Or Bronze Award (1): 2005

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 2005

FWA Footballer of the Year (1): 2009

FWA Tribute Award (1): 2013

PFA Players' Player of the Year (1): 2006

PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 2001

PFA Fans' Player of the Year (2): 2001, 2009

England Player of the Year Award (2): 2007, 2012

PFA Team of the Year (8): 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014

Liverpool Top Goalscorer (3): 2004–05,[219] 2005–06,[220] 2008–09[221]

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament (1): 2012

UEFA Team of the Year (3): 2005, 2006, 2007

FIFA/FIFPro World XI (3): 2007, 2008, 2009

ESM Team of the Year (1): 2008–09

Goal of the Season (1): 2006

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match (1): 2005

FA Cup Final Man of the Match (1): 2006

Premier League Player of the Month Award (6): March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009, March 2014

ECHO Sports Personality of the Year Award (1): 2014

Member of the Order of the British Empire: 2007

Honorary Fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University: 2008

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award – 3rd Place: 2005

IFFHS World's Most Popular Footballer: 2006

No. His point was that Gerrard's influence and ability will not be replaced and that fact is correct. And if you want to argue about replacing his goals' date=' who pops up and hits that goal against Olympiakos, who wills Liverpool back from three goals down in the CL Final, who hits that goal against West Ham in the 06 Cup Final. Those things are not replacable.

Yes, he's no longer the player of back then, but he still pulls out big games, I mean we did play terribly against Basel, but he did hit a free-kick that was the kind of stuff that is irreplacable.

To consider your post had time and thought in it is a joke, you're absolutely delusional.

It's not really a valid question. The point was that whether or not anyone could replace Gerrard, and the answer is no. Much like how no one can replace Giggs or Scholes or Vieira or Henry etc. They are all legends in their all rights, and even if some players didn't contribute through statistics, they were all irreplacable.

This is from someone who bashes Liverpool on a consistent basis and he's disagreeing with you Tony and Ben.[/quote']

It's a completely valid question but one you seem not willing to answer?

I have said numerous times he is irreplaceable in terms of his leadership qualities and not even Tony is arguing that he isn't.

The one point I do agree with is that in terms of actual impact this season in terms of his goals and assists how difficult will it be to replace that from midfield.

It might be hard for you to separate the memory of Gerrard from his current actual contribution to the team but I'm posing the question of objectively how difficult it will be to replace his statistical impact on games, can you find a player who would score as much and assist as much from midfield, not one to replace his committed service.

Yes' date=' we all agree that Gerrard is no longer the midfielder he was a five or so years ago, but the point I'm making is that Tony is being obtuse by cherry-picking the ideas. He is intentionally trying to annoy people with his comments.

He thinks he's being clever and witty, but honestly, it's just annoying.[/quote']

Exactly so if he isn't the midfielder he used to be then I ask how difficult will it be to replace the current watered down player in terms of ability today, his statistical impact in terms of goals and assists.

He already isn't a guaranteed starter anymore so I'm wondering do you all think that he is irreplaceable on this front in terms of current ability and not his leadership which I will once again point out I believe to be irreplaceable at this moment.

Again though Stu this is well covered ground' date=' everyone appreciates his leadership abilities, but I believe Tony is saying is it really going to be that hard to replace his goals, assists etc especially given his lesser role in recent years.

I know that Gerrard has been one of the best midfielders in the PL for many years that for me is without question.[/quote']

In which case Tony has completely missed the point. He has responded to a post about Gerrard being difficult to replace and hasn't pinpointed what Liverpool will miss most from Gerrard. True, his statistical contribution shouldn't be too hard to match for a top player but I don't think you'll find any Liverpool fan that would argue against that. Liverpool will miss Gerrard's leadership and influence on the rest of the team and that is very very difficult to replace.

If Tony hasn't covered that in his posts then he really doesn't have a grasp on the situation.

This is from someone who bashes Liverpool on a consistent basis and he's disagreeing with you Tony and Ben.

I bash every club on a consistent basis :) Before happening on a City season ticket, Liverpool were actually the club side I followed most. I primarily watched and was interested in the national team and in the early 00s, Gerrard was by far the most exciting English player so that led to a soft spot for Liverpool (and Gerrard himself). I've since become extremely cynical but I think most of my posts about Liverpool are born out of frustration - in 08/09 you had Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres and Reina and instead of pushing on and worrying United, you sold them all and fell into the also rans.

So when you say replicate you mean the odd goal he has scored for Liverpool? the odd game here and there he has managed to win for them? Of course, he has been a great leader, a mature and wise leader, skipper no doubt. I state again, don't take my post the wrong way or that I'm implying anything bad towards him. I have to be very careful when I post in the liverpool thread as do many others not to upset many liverpool fans on here because I know you lot are very sensitive when it comes to your team. [/color']

No. What I meant in the previous post was not about his goals and how many trophy he won.

When you have the need to asked what Gerrard have done that can't be replicate, you clearly don't know what you are dealing with.

With players like this, it's not just about goals and trophy, there is more than meets the eye.