ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Emre Can though,what a player. I think it's clear his future will be at midfield as his creative side will be too restricted if he play as RCB but at the moment he's playing superbly as defender. If we continue to play this system as our long term,we clearly need right sided Sakho to let Can playing in midfield

Emre Can though' date='what a player. I think it's clear his future will be at midfield as his creative side will be too restricted if he play as RCB but at the moment he's playing superbly as defender. If we continue to play this system as our long term,we clearly need right sided Sakho to let Can playing in midfield[/quote']

Question is, where does Can fit in the midfield. Does he replace Lucas or Hendo? To be honest I can't see this being the formation for the longterm due to the squad we have. And tbh if this was last season and Lovren was still at Southampton I would've said he fits the bill pretty much perfectly to replace Can at the back due to the ball playing skills he produced at St. Mary's.

Question is' date=' where does Can fit in the midfield. Does he replace Lucas or Hendo? To be honest I can't see this being the formation for the longterm due to the squad we have. And tbh if this was last season and Lovren was still at Southampton I would've said he fits the bill pretty much perfectly to replace Can at the back due to the ball playing skills he produced at St. Mary's.[/quote']

Sturridge

Sterling---------Markovic

Coutinho-Henderson

Can

Moreno-Sakho-Skrtel-Flanagan

Mignolet

?

Question is' date=' where does Can fit in the midfield. Does he replace Lucas or Hendo? To be honest I can't see this being the formation for the longterm due to the squad we have. And tbh if this was last season and Lovren was still at Southampton I would've said he fits the bill pretty much perfectly to replace Can at the back due to the ball playing skills he produced at St. Mary's.[/quote']

Good question to be honest, he'll probably even more restricted if he's playing Lucas role and Hendo role still vital when he play at his best.

If we assume what ash post is likely formation for us in the longterm,i'd like Can partner with Henderson with someone else playing the Lucas role and Coutinho moved forward in the expense of Markovic

Not to drop the preverbial yellow rain on anyone's deep fired potatoes but there is no way Lucas should be making way for Can.

Can was exceptional last night against BOLTON. He offered as much defensively as he did going forward against BOLTON. The assist against BOLTON was sublime and showed great vision.

You get my point, there is without doubt an exceptional player to be in Can but his role currently is that of more of a utility man, he's been equally as good on the right side of defence recently.

In the future, yes I see him occupying Lucas's space more frequently but outside of Countinho and Sterling, Lucas has been the stand out performer for us and we really shouldn't react to Can's exceptional performance last night against BOLTON as anything more than another great option to have should Lucas not be available - at the this time.

Sturridge

Coutinho-Henderson

Can

Mignolet

?

Not sure about him at holding mid I agree with Gozzy. As Edmoses says we did only play Bolton, not Man City. You never know it might work, but having a more orthodox defensive midfielder such as Lucas is one of the reasons our form has massively improved. I guess only time will tell because in the short term 3-4-2-1 is our best bet.

People need to stop getting carried away. :P

Question is' date=' where does Can fit in the midfield. Does he replace Lucas or Hendo? [b']To be honest I can't see this being the formation for the longterm due to the squad we have.[/b] And tbh if this was last season and Lovren was still at Southampton I would've said he fits the bill pretty much perfectly to replace Can at the back due to the ball playing skills he produced at St. Mary's.

We gonna stick to it until it doesn't work or found out by opposition. Or at least we NEED to stick to it until it breaks.

Makes no sense to changed formation that worked great for us because of defensive personnel. If we end up changing formation it would surely because of how can we fit the attacking personnel instead; Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Balotelli.

After all, that back 3 is the most formidable defensive pairing we got this season by long stretch. They already start to bond together and work together, it's pointless to dismantle that backline.

Sturridge

Coutinho-Henderson

Can

Mignolet

?

Coutinho dropped that deep nullified his potential by at least 50%.

After all' date=' that back 3 is the most formidable defensive pairing we got this season by long stretch. They already start to bond together and work together, it's pointless to dismantle that backline.

Coutinho dropped that deep nullified his potential by at least 50%.[/quote']

Agree with both^ Wouldn't even have Lovren on the bench with Kolo coming back from the ACON soon, he'd be the challenger for 1 of the 3 positions for me.

As for Coutinho, agree that it seriously hinders him being dropped deeper, as does the team defensively. He doesn't track back enough to play CM, he goes to sleep when his man runs off him, as seen against United. Personally I'd want my best attacking player using up most of his energy attacking NOT tracking and defending.

At present, there’s two ways of setting up – first and second team if you will – with the same formation and assuming all are fit:-

…………............Studge

………………….…..Borini

……..Phil…………..…………..….Sterling

….....Ibe……………..….………Markovic

...............Can………….Hendo

…………..…Lallana…….…Allen

……………...........Lucas

……………….…… Gerrard

Moreno.....Sakho…. Skrtel……..Flanno

Enrique……Lovren….Toure…….Johnson

…………………….Mignolet

……………………….Jones

It appears to me that Gerrard and Can are likely to be swapped between each other.

Balotelli and Lambert are respective Plan B’s

Then we have lads like Manquillo and Ibe that can step in as and when needed.

I totally agree with Vendetta why would you even think about changing something which is working so well???? :confused:

Brendon has found this formation and it really suits the players look at how much better the defence looks we actually look solid, Moreno and Markovic have been revitalised as wing backs. Lucas and Hendo have been so impressive as a midfield partnership in that area you need energy and they provide it in abundance.

More than anything look at what it has done for Coutinho's game it has been the making of him would you really wanna move the player who is probably on form arguably the best player in the country right now...

The formation has revitalised our season and our players, the balance between attack and defence is fantastic right now......

What a run of fixtures we have over the next month or so though games every three days against the highest calibre of opposition.....

Strong rumours that Ibe will be starting with Markovic unfit to start and Sturridge on the bench. Huge shout from Rodgers that but I'm really looking forward to watching Ibe from the start.

Ibe does start.

Mignolet; Can, Skrtel, Sakho; Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Moreno, Ibe; Coutinho, Sterling.

Subs: Ward, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert, Sturridge, Allen, Markovic

Really poor match this' date=' Lucas's injury has left us completely open and Allen offers nothing, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho and Sterling all been quiet only Ibe is taking the game to them.[/quote']

Christ,again? That guy only plays half of the season games for what? 4 years now?

Dreadful absolutely dreadful' date=' one of the worst derbies I've watched, only Ibe had a good game. Poor to drop points when we really couldn't afford to.[/quote']

Yeah worst Merseyside derby I have seen, the game opened up when Barkley came on had he been on from HT I reckon Everton might have nicked it.

Ibe looks promising though.

Dissapointing game all in all and very dissapointed not to get the win, thought we controlled the game without really ever opening The bluenoses up.

Was surprised with just how negative Everton were in a derby game at home all game they offered next to nothing going forward I was expecting blood, guts and thunder from thaem but it never really materialised. They went very compact and set out to stop us which at the end of the day they have so a success in that regard but at home was surprised by there negativity.

We done well to a point but just lacked the end product to be honest a lot of e players looked very tired and given the recent hectic run of games, intensity of those games it was going to catch up at some point.

Brave of Rodgers to give Ibe the role especially in such a big game and he acquitted himself well in an unnatural position. Lets be honest Everton never tested him defensively but anybody who has watched him through the youth teams as I know many of us have know what quality he has going forward and he with the right application can be a real player for us.

Rodgers is just about the best in the PL for giving young players there chance and hopefully he keeps moving forward.

Hope Lucas and Phillippe are ok vital players for us.

Nothing to be down about yet again another clean sheet, again look so solid at the back, another period of time for Studge on the pitch. Eight games in a row without conceding a goal from open play that ain't to be sniffed at.

Big game against Spurs in midweek but I am going into that game with confidence.