ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Well a whole host of names support Mario' date=' it's hardly selfish to take a late penalty with so much pressure on, utter rubbish that he's disrespecting anyone, I want the best penalty taker to take the penalty not Henderson, Hendersons attitude has changed completely since Gerrard announced he was leaving.

You're talking utter rubbish if you don't think Balo did the right thing, completely different to the Mirallas situation as Baines has again an almost perfect record, best penalty taker takes the penalty simple as that, if Hendo took it and missed we'd all sat here wondering why Mario didn't take that, I don't think it's selfish to take a late penalty when you know the pressure is all on you, it's a huge risk to take and bar Gerrard Mario is the only person I'd want in that position.[/quote']

You clearly don't understand the ethos of a team essence.....and maintaining a team spirit and harmony...

Did the right thing you are off your head...

Yeh lets completly ignore the fact that he displayed a lack of respect for team orders, his captain and his manager how can that be anything but showing a lack of respect :rolleyes:

Henderson's interview after showed what a good professional he is he could have stamped his feet, made a massive thing of it but instead he tried to defuse the situation in the best interests of the club....

If you don't want to read speech read this.

This is the attitude that has put us in 7th and in the europa league

Yeh lets look at what Henderson has done for this club and what Mario has....

Not much of a comparison is there....

I dont want him practicing his penalties in the 85th minute of a 0-0 game.

If anything it's very unprofessional of Gerrard to call Mario out on live TV' date=' as club captain he should know better than to air dirty laundry and I'm really disappointed in him.[/quote']

Well obviously Rodgers decides who takes penalties and he is the Manager end of....ignore the Manager's orders it's unprofessional...

You clearly don't understand the ethos of a team essence.....and maintaining a team spirit and harmony...

Did the right thing you are off your head...

Yeh lets completly ignore the fact that he displayed a lack of respect for team orders' date=' his captain and his manager how can that be anything but showing a lack of respect :rolleyes:

Henderson's interview after showed what a good professional he is he could have stamped his feet, made a massive thing of it but instead he tried to defuse the situation in the best interests of the club....[/quote']

A win maintains harmony this will all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks, whenever Balo comes into question you're so obviously anti him that he can do know right.

Simply we won the game, Balo scored his penalty and won the match, so therefore made the right choice, more fingers should be pointed at Gerrard who brought it up anyway, had he made no comments it would have been swept under

A win maintains harmony this will all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks' date=' whenever Balo comes into question you're so obviously anti him that he can do know right.

Simply we won the game, Balo scored his penalty and won the match, so therefore made the right choice, more fingers should be pointed at Gerrard who brought it up anyway, had he made no comments it would have been swept under[/quote']

LOL at you coming out with me having an Agenda considering the moment anything goes wrong it is Rodgers out....

I actually PRAISED his performance when he came on but I suppose you just want to sweep that under the carpet don't suit your narrative....

It's disrespectful end of and people acting like he is so special, I judge people on performances and attitude and on both regards Mario has not been up to scratch

Laughable that you believe it's OK to not let the best penalty taker take the crucial penalty' date=' don't care if Rodgers chose Henderson, he chose wrong.[/quote']

As per usual you fail to grasp the point....

Mario probably is a better penalty taker although we have never seen Henderson take penalties so for all we know he might be brilliant at them, but that is NOT the point is it, I can't understand how that is so difficult to comprehend....

Mind you you seem to think Henderson has an attitude problem but Mario ignoring the orders of his manager is ok......

Give me strength..

Yeh lets look at what Henderson has done for this club and what Mario has....

Not much of a comparison is there....

I say one thing, then you reply with something completely irrelevant.

Me: "Balotelli is a better penalty taker than Henderson"

You: "Look at what Henderson has done for this club!!!"

You are impossible to argue with, you just come out with vague, irrelevant and meaningless replies.

EDIT: If your point is about going against Rodgers' orders his orders are ridiculous and he should be embarrassed

I'm far from being a Mario fan but when the ref pointed to the spot he's the only person I wanted to see take it. Let's be honest you wouldn't be overly confident if Hendo or Studge had stepped up. Seems a pen is the only time you can truly rely on Mario. He simply doesn't miss so to not let him take it would of been ridiculous. Switched off after the whistle tho what was said in the studio by Gerrard?

Don't see the fuss to be honest. Balotelli is easily the best pen taker we have when Gerrard isnt there. Sure, Henderson was the designated pen taker but do you guys honestly think he'd have taken it if Gerrard had come off the bench (if he was on it)? Course not. I'm pretty sure Sturridge was trying to take it as well. If Henderson had wanted the pen so bad he would have taken it plain and simple. However, he was the bigger man and knew Balo was the man for it so allowed him to have it. Seems Balotelli isnt allowed to score the winner for us without getting criticised haha :P

I understand the respect point, however you have to have common sense and let your best pen taker take them

As per usual you fail to grasp the point....

Mario probably is a better penalty taker although we have never seen Henderson take penalties so for all we know he might be brilliant at them' date=' but that is NOT the point is it, I can't understand how that is so difficult to comprehend....

Mind you you seem to think Henderson has an attitude problem but Mario ignoring the orders of his manager is ok......

Give me strength..[/quote']

I understand your point, but Gerrard shouldn't have come out and said anything and this should have been dealt with behind closed doors.

On the attitude point it's pretty easy to see that Henderson has got almost over confident since becoming captain elect, getting involved in confrontations, offering out players for fights, I like Henderson taking responsibility but you can't act like he's perfect, as for Balo his attitude has been great in recent weeks.

We won the game, I'm not fussed if Gerrard and Henderson got upset, I guarantee majority of that dressing room would support Mario taking the penalty.

I say one thing' date=' then you reply with something completely irrelevant.

Me: "Balotelli is a better penalty taker than Henderson"

You: "Look at what Henderson has done for this club!!!"

You are impossible to argue with, you just come out with vague, irrelevant and meaningless replies.[/quote']

it was in reply to your post above but I couldn't be bothered to go back and quote it.....

Yeh Mario and his feelings are more important than respecting the instructions set out by your manager....

It don't matter if you disagree with the manager and his instructions there are probably millions of players who disagree with the manager every week, the only difference is they don't publicly disrespect there manager and the club by ignoring his instructions in full view.....

The most important person at the club and the one paid to make these decisions is the manager, you can't have people openly ignoring instructions and undermining him

it was in reply to your post above but I couldn't be bothered to go back and quote it.....

Yeh Mario and his feelings are more important than respecting the instructions set out by your manager....

It don't matter if you disagree with the manager and his instructions there are probably millions of players who disagree with the manager every week' date=' the only difference is they don't publicly disrespect there manager and the club by ignoring his instructions in full view.....

The most important person at the club and the one paid to make these decisions is the manager, you can't have people openly ignoring instructions and undermining him[/quote']

Guess i can't outright disagree with your point about respecting the manager but i think in this case he was right to.

The main thing is that the club captain has thrown Balo under a bus, I imagine he'll be in the papers now and creates unnecessary drama, really unprofessional from Gerrard, especially when it's obvious Hendo gives Balo the ball after talking.

It don't matter if you disagree with the manager and his instructions there are probably millions of players who disagree with the manager every week' date=' the only difference is they don't publicly disrespect there manager and the club by ignoring his instructions in full view.....

The most important person at the club and the one paid to make these decisions is the manager, you can't have people openly ignoring instructions and undermining him[/quote']

Spot on to be honest.

I cant even begin imagine the mediatic storm that Balotelli would've gotten had he missed that penalty' date=' if even scoring it is causing such a fierce debate :rolleyes:[/quote']

Haha very true,whatever he's done he's doing something wrong. To be honest,if this incident was in 3-0 lead Henderson can take them. In 0-0 on 85th minute however,even Henderson and Rodgers (and Gerrard) should know that theoretically the best penalty taker available in pitch are Balotelli and he should take it even Henderson is the designated penalty taker. I don't even understand why Henderson is our designated penalty taker but that's different point. I believe Mario scoring will not affect team morale and Rodgers must have settled the dressing room after match so i have no worry. Balo has done his job and we should thank him

To be honest, when we won the penalty - I was thinking "Oh no, we don't have Gerrard, who will take the penalty now?", Sturridge? *the memories of Everton coming back*, Henderson? Never saw him taking one. Then "oh thanks God, we have Balotelli". But it all changed when I saw Sturridge and Henderson making faces / not impressed at what happened - because surely there is something wrong there. Then I learned Hendo supposed to take our penalty. So, that totally not cool from Balotelli.

What Balotelli did was wrong imo; he should not do what he did. I'm not surprised tho, as that the kind of players he is. :P

nr5VKL1w9aE

What Gerrard did was fair imo; he backed up Henderson as the match captain, and also praise Balotelli for the winning goal.

Gerrard said: "Henderson is the captain and Balotelli showed Jordan a bit of disrespect there."

Gerrard said that Balotelli was being "a bit mischievous" after the Italian striker took the ball off Henderson, who was set to to take the spot kick.

"Rules are rules," he said. "Credit to Mario, he's scored, but it's not nice to see when footballers are arguing. I think Jordan has handled the situation very well."

He even post something on his instagram account, like "good pen, Balotelli".

What Rodgers did was wrong imo; if it is like the report suggest Hendo is our designated penalty taker over Balo, then it is something wrong. IMO it should Gerrard, Balotelli and Lambert over anyone else. But again, it was his decision and he is the one that see them everyday on the training ground, so there must be some basis behind Hendo being our designated penalty taker (if it is true).

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers would not clarify who should have taken the penalty after the game.
I don't know if Hendo is our designated penalty taker for sure, or if he only want to take it because he feels like it is responsible as the captain and all the pressure; but he did the right thing by giving it to the best penalty takers on the field. And don't make unnecessary fuss over it.

Now we can just hoping all of them being professional on the training ground after this and having a laugh, instead of being like us - all the negativity. :P

Your best penalty taker on the pitch should be taking your penalties and Balotelli is easily our best penalty taker, aside from Gerrard. Good decision from Mario to take things into his own hands.

If a manager doesn't want his team to shoot from outside the box and keep the ball until they create a clear cut chance, but a player in that team takes a shot from outside the box and scores a winning goal does that mean we should be angry at that player?

Let's be honest Balotteli is arguably one of if not the best penalty taker in professional football right now. Surely as a team/fan you would want the best man for the job.

Part of being a captain is putting the needs of the team before the needs of yourself. Lets be honest Henderson didn't put up much of a fight for the ball did he? Sturridge seemed the more concerned one (although not sure if he wanted the pen himself)

Don't agree with people saying its disrespectful, if Henderson really wanted to take it he would of, he would of told Balotelli to jog on but he never. May be his pride hurt more than anything else.

Gerrard stoked the flames with his comments which usually isn't the Liverpool way, hopefully this doesn't derail the remainder of the season with you guys on such a great run. Get it sorted In training today and move on.

Yeah, no, Balotelli taking penalties is an exception point to the usual respect argument/team rules, and of course if he's on the pitch he has to take it. As someone said earlier, if this wasn't 0-0, sure, let anyone else take it, but this is a serious business, and if the team can't make such a simple decision as to give the responsibility to the most competent penalty taker, then there's something wrong with the team.

Sturridge and Henderson of course had the "who the hell is this clown" moment, because in team pecking order Balotelli is a nobody and so Sturridge doesn't respect him at all. But when it comes to penalties, Balotelli has to be the first guy to take one.

If you ask Sturridge in the summer I'm sure he'll admit that Balotelli did the right thing. Just in the heat of the moment he didn't realize that this was of course the only correct option.