ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Just a question..

How do Liverpool posters know for sure that Mario is the best penalty taker at the club?

His record speaks for itself, 28 out of 29 or something nuts like that (can't remember exactly).

Yep' date=' as mentioned on here he should be no.1 on the BR's list, arguably even ahead of Gerrard when they are both on the pitch.[/quote']

Why Gerrard's record is exceptional cant remember the last one he missed, scored something like 20 in a row or something

Ya I would agree with that' date='BUT you shouldn't go against what the manager decides in a public way.[/quote']

This is precisely the point, I dont dispute Mario is Probably a better penalty taker than Hendo but that is NOT the issue if you undermine your manager and his orders publicly that is disrespectful.

Here's my take - first and foremost a dire game, but relieved we won the first leg and, as importantly, kept another clean sheet.

Rodgers:-

Right - didn't get into a media discussion regarding the penalty taker.

Wrong - not to have a contingency that should he come onto the pitch Balotelli tops the pecking order for penalties.

Gerrard:-

Right - he should be annoyed that Balotelli takes it upon himself to make team decisions when there is a very clear hierarchy at the club.

Wrong -to voice it in the media, this is something that should be done behind closed doors. That's twice in recent months he has dragged the club into a media palaver - the first being the contract offer.

Henderson:-

Right - to back away once the debate on the pitch got going so as not to make things worse.

Wrong - To have let it get to that stage - take the ball, send Balo away firmly first time, put the ball on the spot, take the penalty.

Balotelli:-

Right - to put himself alongside Gerrard in the pecking order for penalties - he has an amazing record and should be top of the pile with Ste.

Wrong - to do so on the pitch, in game and against his captain and managers wishes. He should have his case clear in training and have a definitive understanding of what would happen.

There aren't many folk that come out well in this to be honest, perhaps Studge only as he makes his point clear - its the captains penalty. Hendo was made to look weak - the image of him staring at the bench for help from Rodgers was not a positive one for him after many weeks of proactive application form the lad. As for Balo, he has prior with this type of behaviour but ultimately this is a situation that Rodgers should have planned for - there's no way with both players on the pitch that Henderson should be taking a penalty before Balotelli. But with the decision made that it is hendo to take them, Balo should respect that.

Why Gerrard's record is exceptional cant remember the last one he missed' date=' scored something like 20 in a row or something

This is precisely the point, I dont dispute Mario is Probably a better penalty taker than Hendo but that is NOT the issue if you undermine your manager and his orders publicly that is disrespectful.[/quote']

Balotelli's record is better.

It doesn't matter anyway, he took it, he scored. He should get an ear bashing and a fine and everyone moves on.

Just a question..

How do Liverpool posters know for sure that Mario is the best penalty taker at the club?

Balo just has this amazing technique that makes it almost impossible for him to not score. He's able to decide on his shot after the keeper is already committed to one direction and he doesn't miss the target. As close to a sure goal as it gets in football

The one time his shot was saved Reina did make a really nice counter-deception move.

What if Henderson stood firm' date=' took it and missed. We'd all be wishing Balotelli did take it off him.[/quote']

Yep, it would be like taking a free kick away from Beckham. He shouldn't have gone against team rules but they were wrong in the first place.

At least he didn't do a Mirallas.

What if Henderson stood firm' date=' took it and missed. We'd all be wishing Balotelli did take it off him.[/quote']

Nope - we would have been asking why Rodgers didn't have Balotelli as the first choice.

Henderson's the captain for a reason. He has to be the managers voice on the pitch, he has to be strong and he has to apply the team orders as they have been given to him by the manager.

I cant believe given the role our club captain of the last 12 years has played that some Liverpool fans think that it is acceptable for any player to think that he is bigger than the club - we as much as, if not more than, any other side have always put the club first, ahead of any player and that includes the current outstanding club captain.

This isn't about the penalty, its not about the result, its not even about the game. Its about the hierarchy of the club, the role that all individuals play in that club including the players that make up the team.

In a club and team environment, individual decisions like this should not be justified by the outcome. The club live and die by the managers instructions being executed on the pitch. What next? Balotelli decides he doesn't like being on the bench so doesn't turn up? He doesn't want to train in the afternoon because he feels he's better refreshed the next day? Maybe Rodgers asks him to play wide left but Balotelli decides he's better down the middle?

It is this type of stuff that has led Balotelli to even being at the club - his stints ending at others because he has been described as "unmanageable". And we should say well done to him because the penalty went in?

In a team there is only one right way - the managers way.

Here's my take - first and foremost a dire game' date=' but relieved we won the first leg and, as importantly, kept another clean sheet.

[b']Rodgers:-[/b]

Right - didn't get into a media discussion regarding the penalty taker.

Wrong - not to have a contingency that should he come onto the pitch Balotelli tops the pecking order for penalties.

Gerrard:-

Right - he should be annoyed that Balotelli takes it upon himself to make team decisions when there is a very clear hierarchy at the club.

Wrong -to voice it in the media, this is something that should be done behind closed doors. That's twice in recent months he has dragged the club into a media palaver - the first being the contract offer.

Henderson:-

Right - to back away once the debate on the pitch got going so as not to make things worse.

Wrong - To have let it get to that stage - take the ball, send Balo away firmly first time, put the ball on the spot, take the penalty.

Balotelli:-

Right - to put himself alongside Gerrard in the pecking order for penalties - he has an amazing record and should be top of the pile with Ste.

Wrong - to do so on the pitch, in game and against his captain and managers wishes. He should have his case clear in training and have a definitive understanding of what would happen.

There aren't many folk that come out well in this to be honest, perhaps Studge only as he makes his point clear - its the captains penalty. Hendo was made to look weak - the image of him staring at the bench for help from Rodgers was not a positive one for him after many weeks of proactive application form the lad. As for Balo, he has prior with this type of behaviour but ultimately this is a situation that Rodgers should have planned for - there's no way with both players on the pitch that Henderson should be taking a penalty before Balotelli. But with the decision made that it is hendo to take them, Balo should respect that.

I think you are right when you say "Hendo was made to look weak",imagine if Gerrard was playing? It would be interesing as I think Balo would not have been able to push Gerrard aside for the pen as such..

If players are want to do their own thing,then we shouldn't need managers at clubs.

Baloteli was a tool for doing what he did, he shouldn't of done that. Henderson was the choice to take it and he should of taken it. You don't do that as a professional.

The guy just seeks attention and media coverage. I said it before you lot signed him, the guy is a total clown.

Balo just has this amazing technique that makes it almost impossible for him to not score. He's able to decide on his shot after the keeper is already committed to one direction and he doesn't miss the target. As close to a sure goal as it gets in football

His technique is good' date=' but not really amazing.

Still it is hard to pulled something like that because you need to have a full motion during the penalty kick and a stop gap would be a foul and he executes it rather well with his near stop gap movement.

The one time his shot was saved Reina did make a really nice counter-deception move.

Twice being saved actually, against Napoli and Genoa.

And Reina did no such thing, he just stood there until the last minute.

Nope - we would have been asking why Rodgers didn't have Balotelli as the first choice.

Henderson's the captain for a reason. He has to be the managers voice on the pitch' date=' he has to be strong and he has to apply the team orders as they have been given to him by the manager.

I cant believe given the role our club captain of the last 12 years has played that some Liverpool fans think that it is acceptable for any player to think that he is bigger than the club - we as much as, if not more than, any other side have always put the club first, ahead of any player and that includes the current outstanding club captain.

This isn't about the penalty, its not about the result, its not even about the game. Its about the hierarchy of the club, the role that all individuals play in that club including the players that make up the team.

In a club and team environment, individual decisions like this should not be justified by the outcome. The club live and die by the managers instructions being executed on the pitch. What next? Balotelli decides he doesn't like being on the bench so doesn't turn up? He doesn't want to train in the afternoon because he feels he's better refreshed the next day? Maybe Rodgers asks him to play wide left but Balotelli decides he's better down the middle?

It is this type of stuff that has led Balotelli to even being at the club - his stints ending at others because he has been described as "unmanageable". And we should say well done to him because the penalty went in?

In a team there is only one right way - the managers way.[/quote']

I disagree with pretty much all of this. I for one am glad he took it because he clearly wants to prove his critics wrong and had he not done what he did we might not be celebrating a win. Balotelli has been excellent for Rodgers' so far in terms of "manageableness". When he's been told to play out wide he has played out wide. When he's been on the bench he hasn't whinged. He's pretty much kept himself level headed the whole time he's been at the club bar the instagram post and we are starting to see benefits because of this. He could've taken the easy way out and left back for Italy in January if he really wanted. No, he's still here and he's giving it his best. We should bloody well say well done to him because otherwise we might not be celebrating a win and the sort of confidence he showed in taking that penalty off Henderson was something that a lot of our players have lacked for a lot of this season until recently.

His technique is good' date=' but not really amazing.

Still it is hard to pulled something like that because you need to have a full motion during the penalty kick and a stop gap would be a foul and he executes it rather well with his near stop gap movement.

Twice being saved actually, against Napoli and Genoa.

And Reina did no such thing, he just stood there until the last minute.[/quote']

I haven't seen anyone else have such effectiveness while making it look so effortless.

Nope, Reina made it seem like he was diving left, by going right-left but he had reactions and the strength to go right-left-right.

If it was so easy to save it, more goalies would. His shot is a soft placement, but completely destroys practically every goalie in the world.

Baloteli was a tool for doing what he did' date=' he shouldn't of done that. Henderson was the choice to take it and he should of taken it. You don't do that as a professional.

The guy just seeks attention and media coverage. I said it before you lot signed him, the guy is a total clown.[/i']

I bet you predicted the successful outcome of Falcao as well...

Henderson's the captain for a reason. He has to be the managers voice on the pitch' date=' he has to be strong and he has to apply the team orders as they have been given to him by the manager.

[b']In a team there is only one right way - the managers way.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Absolutely magnificent post and totally correct full stop

People who fail to see the bigger picture are the ones missing the point

[b']In a team there is only one right way - the managers way.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Absolutely magnificent post and totally correct full stop

People who fail to see the bigger picture are the ones missing the point

What if it was in the FA Cup / Europa League final. We win because of self initiative overriding manager orders. Is that then damaging to club hierarchy or is it winning us a trophy.

All in all,I would be very surprised if Liverpool don't get rid of Balotelli in the summer.The man has a lot of attributes to be a top top striker,but mentally he doesn't have it.he just is not a team player and it is starting to look like to he will never learn,I thought this move was a big opportunity for him,but he lacks respect.I know fans often get at Suarez,but at least with Suarez he played for the team,had good workrate and (might be hard to believe),has a top attitude when it comes to the actual playing side of the game.

I think you are right when you say "Hendo was made to look weak"' date='imagine if Gerrard was playing? It would be interesing as I think Balo would not have been able to push Gerrard aside for the pen as such..

If players are want to do their own thing,then we shouldn't need managers at clubs.[/quote']

Lol, because managers are always right! Even Mourinho has its stupid decisions as a manager.

I wish there was a guy like Balo in Benfica a couple of seasons ago to take the ball from Cardozo when there was a penalty, he did missed about half dozen, and he was still the designated penalty taker by Jorge Jesus.

Such fuss over nothing, Balotelli didn't rip the ball of Henderson's hands, he went there and Henderson let him take it, because he knew he was the right guy for the job, he was ready to take it, and they should just let him take it instead of being mad like prima donas.

Penalty's shouldn't be manager orders, the guy that takes it is the one that is most confident and skilled to do it.

All in all' date='I would be very surprised if Liverpool don't get rid of Balotelli in the summer.The man has a lot of attributes to be a top top striker,but mentally he doesn't have it.he just is not a team player and it is starting to look like to he will never learn,I thought this move was a big opportunity for him,but he lacks respect.I know fans often get at Suarez,but at least with Suarez he played for the team,had good workrate and (might be hard to believe),has a top attitude when it comes to the actual playing side of the game.[/quote']

tumblr_lpe2xqC42E1qetbbj.gif