ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Those believing that Balotelli wouldn't take the ball off whoever had it to take a penalty is as deluded as those that think it was fine for him to overall team orders' date=' this is exactly the kind of thing he just does - Rodgers & Liverpool knew what they were taking on when signing him & at the end of the day he won you the game with his 93% penalty success ratio.[/quote']

No chance he'd take it off Gerrard that's been explained enough by both Rodgers and Gerrard, it's just common sense that Mario is next in line he's done many interviews explaining as much.

Can't believe the outcry it's all come from Stevie otherwise nobody would have made anything out of it, had any other player taken the ball and scored nothing would be said.

Oh and Ed though I respect your points your support is coming from Tony and Keith, I'm inclined to go the other way.

So its that you actually understand the point but are basically ignoring it cos the ball crossed the line.

Oh and this is the fact - not the point.

exactly right Ed ;)

Yeah, sorry guys, my mistake, the point is again? The complete disregard for rules and hierachy and complete disrespect for team mates and manager.

Oh Balo what an anarchist you are! V for Vendetta must support him then.

Those believing that Balotelli wouldn't take the ball off whoever had it to take a penalty is as deluded as those that think it was fine for him to overall team orders' date=' this is exactly the kind of thing he just does - Rodgers & Liverpool knew what they were taking on when signing him & at the end of the day he won you the game with his 93% penalty success ratio.[/quote']

Not disputing this, doesn't mean I have to simply say "ahh well, that's Mario!".

No chance he'd take it off Gerrard that's been explained enough by both Rodgers and Gerrard' date=' it's just common sense that Mario is next in line he's done many interviews explaining as much.

Can't believe the outcry it's all come from Stevie otherwise nobody would have made anything out of it, had any other player taken the ball and scored nothing would be said.

Oh and Ed though I respect your points your support is coming from Tony and Keith, I'm inclined to go the other way.[/quote']

I didn't need Stevie to be upset post match for me to see with my own eyes that Mario's behaviour was unacceptable.

And let me be clear here - Mario should have been first choice for that penalty - there's no question and I think Rodgers is at fault here.

I'm actually more upset that fans simply accept that the individual is more important than the team than I am about the actual incident. It simply staggers me that folks think its perfectly fine for a player to ignore his manager, captain and team mates and do what he thinks is right. No doubt the same fans that call for clear direction and a voice on the pitch when things aren't going great simply don't acknowledge that Mario needs to seen for what he is - a disruptive, well intentioned but ultimately self serving player. its been a tough season and we are turning the corner together, we don't have room for this type of selfishness.

re: Keith and Tony - duly noted ;)

Not disputing this' date=' doesn't mean I have to simply say "ahh well, that's Mario!".

I didn't need Stevie to be upset post match for me to see with my own eyes that Mario's behaviour was unacceptable.

And let me be clear here - Mario should have been first choice for that penalty - there's no question and I think Rodgers is at fault here.

I'm actually more upset that fans simply accept that the individual is more important than the team than I am about the actual incident. It simply staggers me that folks think its perfectly fine for a player to ignore his manager, captain and team mates and do what he thinks is right. No doubt the same fans that call for clear direction and a voice on the pitch when things aren't going great simply don't acknowledge that Mario needs to seen for what he is - a disruptive, well intentioned but ultimately self serving player. its been a tough season and we are turning the corner together, we don't have room for this type of selfishness.

re: Keith and Tony - duly noted ;)[/quote']

I totally understand the points you make, from what I've heard it's that Rodgers hasn't been clear enough to both Mario and Hendo here and that both believed they were spot kick takers that night. I don't think Mario was being that selfish the outcry had he missed could have ended him here it's a huge risk to take that, but I think sometimes you need that bit of selfishness, huge game, huge penalty you need that selfishness from somebody to take it upon himself and make the right decision in regards to penalty takers.

I totally understand the points you make' date=' from what I've heard it's that Rodgers hasn't been clear enough to both Mario and Hendo here and that both believed they were spot kick takers that night. I don't think Mario was being that selfish the outcry had he missed could have ended him here it's a huge risk to take that, but I think sometimes you need that bit of selfishness, huge game, huge penalty you need that selfishness from somebody to take it upon himself and make the right decision in regards to penalty takers.[/quote']

I think Rodger's is in "blame me" mode, muddying the waters to take the heat off to be honest, which is his wont. If it was true that he hadn't been clear, he wouldn't have avoided the issue in every post match interview last night. Instead, this is his tactic today to diffuse.

Clearly Mario should have been instilled as the taker and I don't believe for one minute that Rodger's hadn't prepped his team for the match - I am convinced he was absolutely clear - Sturridge and Hendo clearly understood, so did Stevie - it was Henderson's penalty.

So it falls on Rodgers for sure but that still is no excuse for Mario to do his thing.

Personally think Rodgers addressing the situation well with the media.

If you read between line; there is almost some loop that saying no one is at fault.

Yeah I agree but there is a snap to all this - what does he do when Mario does something similar again? You know he will in some way shape or form.

Yeah I agree but there is a snap to all this - what does he do when Mario does something similar again? You know he will in some way shape or form.

First, take some unnecessary heat from the media off the team. That's important.

And I fully expect or at least I hope he will work something out behind the closed door, away from media.

Also, wasn't there something in Balotelli contract about his discipline when he signed for us? Maybe Rodgers can work something out based on that.

First' date=' take some unnecessary heat from the media off the team. That's important.

And I fully expect or at least I hope he will work something out behind the closed door, away from media.

Also, wasn't there something in Balotelli contract about his discipline when he signed for us? Maybe Rodgers can work something out based on that.[/quote']

You know, I think your right - I remember there being something about Discipline.

Looked it up:-

Reports suggested the Reds were keen to implement a code of conduct clause in Balotelli’s contract following disciplinary and off-field issues in the past, but Brendan Rodgers played down the claim.

Agent Mino Raiola also insists the contract will be no different to that of any other Liverpool player.

Mino Raiola "Mario won't have a different contract than the other Liverpool's players - he has to behave with the code of conduct of the club like everyone else"

No such luck then. The Mario show is set to roll on.

You know' date=' I think your right - I remember there being something about Discipline.

Looked it up:-

No such luck then. The Mario show is set to roll on.[/quote']

Ah, shame that.

I must be mistook it with Suarez's Barcelona contract then. :P

Well if Mario's crazy conduct carries on winning us important games then I'm not going to be moaning :P

Yep four goals all season, two half decent sub appearances and the ability to score a penalty that we probably would have scored anyway is worth the 90k a week....

Bargain!!

Yep four goals all season' date=' two half decent sub appearances and the ability to score a penalty that we probably would have scored anyway is worth the 90k a week....

Bargain!![/quote']

Yes you're not anti-Mario at all ;)

First time we've seen the real Mario all season this past week and his input has been massive, no counting how important that goal against Spurs could be.

Yep four goals all season' date=' two half decent sub appearances and the ability to score a penalty that we probably would have scored anyway is worth the 90k a week....

Bargain!![/quote']

I'm sure he's referring to Mario's recent form, in which case, has been good when he's been on and if this continues from now to the end of the season, he has played his part well, especially considering the start that he's had.

@Ed.. I don't think you get the point everyone else is trying to make either. Henderson didn't seem too upset either at Balotelli taking the PK, it was Sturridge that was, and since Sturridge isn't the designated PK either, it's none of his business either what Henderson and Balotelli decide to do What Synyster posted before about Rodgers expecting Balotelli/Gerrard to take the PK if they're on the pitch says it all. So REALLY Balotelli was the designated PK taker on the pitch at the time. Gerrard wasn't on the pitch or involved in the match at all, he was in a studio.. He doesn't know what Brendan has told the players beforehand, and as captain he should understand that he shouldn't be speaking of his own players in such a manner. That's why I don't like current players going on shows that represent their own team, all it can cause is problems.

Yes you're not anti-Mario at all ;)

First time we've seen the real Mario all season this past week and his input has been massive' date=' no counting how important that goal against Spurs could be.[/quote']

So one goal and a penalty makes up for the absolute dross of the previous six months and the complete lack of effort.....

let's see him actually do it for a decent length of time and play for the team

your easily pleased that's all I will say

So one goal and a penalty makes up for the absolute dross of the previous six months and the complete lack of effort.....

let's see him actually do it for a decent length of time and play for the team

your easily pleased that's all I will say

There's really no point debating on the topic of Balo with you, I am pleased that it seems to be clicking for him, his recent form is great and I respect that he's trying harder and has been instrumental in the huge win at Spurs, Palace and now Besiktas in just over a week. He's hardly been dire for six months he's barely played since November he hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself since he was dropped and its hardly his fault that when he was dire the whole team was dire and playing a dreadful system that didn't suit anyone, you could see his instant improvement when he came on against United in that syste. Strikers a terrible position to play when the team is playing dreadfully, the old system created next to no chances and he barely got a sniff in the new system until recently.

One thing every club supporter cannot stand and that is a player on big wages but not making the required effort' date='Balo is obviously one of those players.[/quote']

Nah. Soon as Balotelli took the ball off Henderson the crowd got lively, everyone was happy Balo had taken it. As Henderson was standing up all people were shouting was to put Balo on it. He is putting effort in these past few weeks, hence his decent form lately.

Nah. Soon as Balotelli took the ball off Henderson the crowd got lively' date=' everyone was happy Balo had taken it. As Henderson was standing up all people were shouting was to put Balo on it. He is putting effort in these past few weeks, hence his decent form lately.[/quote']

So thats ok that he has made an effort for a couple of weeks?:D

There's really no point debating on the topic of Balo with you' date=' I am pleased that it seems to be clicking for him, his recent form is great and I respect that he's trying harder and has been instrumental in the huge win at Spurs, Palace and now Besiktas in just over a week. He's hardly been dire for six months he's barely played since November he hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself since he was dropped and its hardly his fault that when he was dire the whole team was dire and playing a dreadful system that didn't suit anyone, you could see his instant improvement when he came on against United in that syste. Strikers a terrible position to play when the team is playing dreadfully, the old system created next to no chances and he barely got a sniff in the new system until recently.[/quote']

So you are catergorically denying there was a lack of effort from him so far this season??

I have been to games I have seen him in the flesh the game at QPR was the laziest and most disgustingly inept display I might have ever seen and it is not an isolated game there was many games where it was the same thing.

Playing bad ain't a crime a lack of effort for me is and people who deny that throughout the majority of the season he ain't put in the required effort are simply not telling the truth.

It is amazing to me how fickle fans are the fact he has scored a couple of goals and now all is forgiven, he has hardly been "great" either that's an exaggeration if ever I heard one...

Lets see him do it for a long period, let's see him do it when he starts games, lets see him make it about the team and not about himself and then we can all be positive about him....

A couple of sub appearances where he plays half decent don't suddenly make everything ok....

There is a reason he don't last at places.....

It's a change' date=' what else do you want him to do? Continue not trying?[/quote']

I said he is clearly a player that does NOT put in 100% and you disagreed with that,a few weeks of apparently trying does not change his overall attitude.He has been like this for years now.

Yes why don't we all continue to criticise Mario for the early season when his form is clearly improving. I know he's marmite but the criticism he's been getting for winning us a match is laughable. I understand the point of defying orders but if you actually watch it it's not even a big deal, he's the best penalty taker bar Gerrard and I'm glad he took it off Hendo as was the Kop and he proved just why it was the correct choice. I find it laughable that Rodgers wouldn't have Balo as penalty taker in Gerrards absence.