Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Well done to you lot on a lucky and narrow win. No doubt Henderson should get the number 8 after the skipper leaves.

He is turning out to be a great international on and off the field.

Did you watch the game? Oh how silly of me of course you never since you don't even watch your own team play. It was far from a lucky win at all' date=' yes Swansea set up well first half and it worked a treat but once Rodgers tweaked things at half time it was a completely different game.

In fact LVG could a learn a thing or two on how to have a plan B from Rodgers. If LVG is tactically astute enough to nullify Liverpool for 45 minutes I still doubt it will be enough to take all 3 points. [/font']

Did you watch the game? Oh how silly of me of course you never since you don't even watch your own team play. It was far from a lucky win at all' date=' yes Swansea set up well first half and it worked a treat but once Rodgers tweaked things at half time it was a completely different game.

In fact LVG could a learn a thing or two on how to have a plan B from Rodgers. If LVG is tactically astute enough to nullify Liverpool for 45 minutes I still doubt it will be enough to take all 3 points. [/font']

I would strongly disagree with all that has been said above.

First of all, this was a lucky win as Swansea were unlucky to score a goal in the first half and should have been ahead. Moreover, in the second half Liverpool didn't play that well to the extent that they deserved to lead. Secondly, the goal itself was a lucky one.

Well regarding LvG, I'd like people to at least reserve their judgement until the end of the season because I have come to the conclusion that LvG knows what he is doing. You can't be lucky when you have just lost what 1 in 22? He knows what he is doing mate. He does makes blunders here and there i.e Herrera sub. One more question, where was Rodgers plan "B" earlier in the season? and yesterday there was no plan B, it was mere luck.

Got to hand it to Mignolet though' date=' he was superb yesterday as he has been since the turn of the year. Big part of Liverpools turnaround in the second half of the season.[/quote']

He was the main reason Liverpool didn't go into the break with the game already lost.

The second half Swansea didn't turn up.

First of all' date=' this was a lucky win as Swansea were unlucky to score a goal in the first half and should have been ahead. Moreover, in the second half Liverpool didn't play that well to the extent that they deserved to lead. Secondly, the goal itself was a lucky one.

Well regarding LvG, I'd like people to at least reserve their judgement until the end of the season because I have come to the conclusion that LvG knows what he is doing. You can't be lucky when you have just lost what 1 in 22? He knows what he is doing mate. He does makes blunders here and there i.e Herrera sub. One more question, where was Rodgers plan "B" earlier in the season? and yesterday there was no plan B, it was mere luck.[/quote']

To call the victory lucky is not accurate, whilst Swansea had chances none were clear cut and yes Mignolet got MoM with some good saves but all were saveable – in other words serious questions would have been asked had any of those attempts gone in.

I would disagree also that Liverpool didn’t deserve the win – we were more dominant in the second half than Swansea at anytime in the game. Studge also hit the post right at the end.

The stats are a good indicator:-

Swans………………..…………Pool

10……………..Shots……………16

3…………….On Target………….5

3……….Shots Inside Box……..6

46%..............Posss………...54%

481…………...Passes…………562

13%…..% of Passes Long…..8%

Only 3 Swansea players had shots all night – Gomis and Shelvey and Sigurdsen. Liverpool on the other hand had attempts on goal from 8 different players – this highlights to me that the attacking play was more sweeping across the team and not simply counter attacking through Studge as the end product – the game was therefore played in Swansea’s defensive third far more than in Liverpools.

I’m not saying that this wasn’t a tight game, it was. What I am saying is that the players didn’t perform first half for Liverpool so the manager changed it and the result was a dominant second half performance, away from home, at a difficult place that resulted in a tight 1-0 victory – a victory that should have been closer to 2-0 than to 1-1 so in my book, not a lucky win. Although the finish from Hendo clearly was fortunate, I am confident the goal was coming anyway.

First of all' date=' this was a lucky win as Swansea were unlucky to score a goal in the first half and should have been ahead. Moreover, in the second half Liverpool didn't play that well to the extent that they deserved to lead. Secondly, the goal itself was a lucky one.

Well regarding LvG, I'd like people to at least reserve their judgement until the end of the season because I have come to the conclusion that LvG knows what he is doing. You can't be lucky when you have just lost what 1 in 22? He knows what he is doing mate. He does makes blunders here and there i.e Herrera sub. One more question, where was Rodgers plan "B" earlier in the season? and yesterday there was no plan B, it was mere luck.[/quote']

You are entitled to your opinion. You agree with Ash in regards to the point he made about Swansea not turning up for the second half so can't the same gesture be given to Liverpool for there lacklustre first half performance?

You say Swansea were unlucky not to go in ahead? Perhaps you are right but you make your own luck, Mignolet did what he is paid to do that is not luck, they never scored Liverpool held on and made them pay by dominating the second half. you can't make the point Swansea were unlucky and Liverpool were lucky. As the old cliché goes 'It is a game of two half's' this was never more evident than last night's game.

As for being lucky they weren't lucky at all. On the balance of play was a draw a fair result? perhaps, however this was not the case. Liverpool did what they needed to do second half and did it well, they were more decisive, more crisp with the passing and closed down far quicker second half rather than allowing Swansea possession and as a consequence dictate the tempo of the game and edged the game in my opinion.

I see it through less bias eyes than yourself. Please don't get me started on luck since many of them wins by "youse lot" were by and far extremely lucky and you would have to be an idiot to think otherwise. I would say lucky is playing poorly and still winning when perhaps a team is not worthy of them 3 points and there opponents have played better and come away with nothing would you not agree?

Lucky when it is a rival for a UCL but when it is your own team "LVG knows what he is doing" if this does not smack of incredible bias then I don't know what does.

Rodgers had lost Suarez and had Sturridge in and out as well as trying to integrate new players and give Mario a chance and tinker with certain ideas. Many players have settled now and Liverpool are benefitting from it. Can the same be said about Uniteds signings under LVG settling and playing great football? We all know the answer to that.

He was the main reason Liverpool didn't go into the break with the game already lost.

The second half Swansea didn't turn up.

You seem to think that we went in at the break 0-0 because of luck. Ash has just pointed out exactly why Swansea didn't score in the first half, and it has nothing to do with luck. Mignolet making two or three big saves is no different than a striker scoring two or three big goals. Would you call that luck? If that's your argument then United, and van Gaal, must be the luckiest team in the world right now (some things never change). How many points worse off do you think they'd be without De Gea?

To say we didn't play well enough to deserve a lead in the second half is quite amusing. I wonder if you actually watched the match? Despite being completely dominated in the first half, our performance was so much better in the second half that we actually finished the game with slightly more possession than Swansea. Considering that they had well over 60% in the first half, I'd say that was quite an achievement. There's also the fact that we had more shots, more shots on target, and more corners. I'd say we were certainly deserving of a win.

The goal may well have been a lucky one, but you can't use that to say that we didn't deserve the three points. As they say, these things even themselves out over the course of a season. We've also had our fair share of luck going against us this season. In fact, Sturridge was rather unlucky not to score when his clever shot hit the post.

You've literally just said that "you can't be lucky when you have just lost what 1 in 22?" so surely that works both ways? Using your logic, Liverpool have now won ten of their last 12 games and haven't lost in the league since December.

Rodgers didn't have a plan B earlier in the season, and that is largely why our form was so poor. Thankfully, he seems to be improving that part of his game (something he's going to need to be successful in Europe). He managed last night's game absolutely superbly. Gary Monk deserves a lot of credit for the way he set up Swansea, he found a way to counter our 3-4-3 which is something that no other manager has achieved this season. You absolutely cannot deny that Rodgers acknowledged the problem, made changes at half time, and consequently turned the game around. You can call it what you like, but that is simply great tactical/game management.

For what it's worth I think the second half showed how Rodgers has adapted in his time at the club.

The first half wasn't good at all, Swansea were the better team bar Mignolet, Rodgers saw this and while Liverpool weren't Bayern, & Swansea didn't show up in the second half, he made the changes and it worked, that cannot be denied.

The goal was lucky yes, but I thought it was an admirable second half performance from Liverpool - its good to see a bit of grit sometimes.

Also, I will go on record saying I liked Henderson at Sunderland, but saw his move (as with Lallana) as a bit of a Man City-Rodwell/Sinclair move but I don't mind being wrong, Henderson is developing into a brilliant player - and no longer is it as big a worry as first thought about replacing Gerrard, that itself is quite something.

You are entitled to your opinion. You agree with Ash in regards to the point he made about Swansea not turning up for the second half so can't the same gesture be given to Liverpool for there lacklustre first half performance?

You say Swansea were unlucky not to go in ahead? You are right but you make your own luck' date=' they never scored Liverpool clung on and made them pay by dominating the second half. you can't make the point Swansea were unlucky and Liverpool were lucky. As the old cliché goes 'It is a game of two half's' this was never more evident than last night's game.

As for being lucky they weren't lucky at all. On the balance of play was a draw a fair result? Yeah, however this was not the case. Liverpool did what they needed to do second half and did it well, they were more decisive, more crisp with the passing and closed down far quicker second half rather than allowing Swansea possession and as a consequence dictate the tempo of the game.

I see it through less bias eyes than yourself. Please don't get me started on luck since many of them wins by "youse lot" were by and far extremely lucky and you would have to be an idiot to think otherwise. I would say lucky is playing poorly and still winning when perhaps a team is not worthy of them 3 points and there opponents have played better and come away with nothing would you not agree?

Lucky when it is a rival for a UCL but when it is your own team "LVG knows what he is doing" if this does not smack of incredible bias then I don't know what does.

Rodgers had lost Suarez and had Sturridge in and out as well as trying to integrate new players and give Mario a chance and tinker with certain ideas. Many players have settled now and Liverpool are benefitting from it. Can the same be said about Uniteds signings under LVG settling and playing great football? We all know the answer to that.[/font']

Your first paragraph perfectly explains why I called this a game a level one with a draw a more fairer result.

This is what has been happening with United for the whole of the season where we have been taking our chances but we have been called Lucky?your 3rd paragraph further strengthens the opinion that what United has been doing all season isn't lucky, rather its getting the job done.

First and most of all, if someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean he is biased so you need to get this idea out of your mind and yes we have been lucky as we haven't been playing the way we need to in order to WIN a game and similarly Liverpool weren't good enough to guarantee a win yesterday.

This is unbelievable. You're so good at picking and choosing the points that you would like to answer. I am saying that 1 defeat in 22 says a lot rather than just being lucky whereas Liverpool have been a far better side then us in 2015 and they just didn't deserve to win yesterday's game. You can be lucky in 1 game but can't be lucky in 22 games.

Lol, this is laughable. An unsettled team is 3rd and is about to challenge 2nd. I still wonder what would this side be under LvG when they get settled. Moreover, except ADM and Falcao, all our summer signings have been playing decent. Falcao is a lost cause anyways. The initial squad that was on LvG's disposal is the issue.

I have been bombarded with so many replies so I'll answer my opinion here.

I am saying that Swansea was the better side in the first half and Liverpool were the better side in the 2nd half. On paper, yes Liverpool won but the draw should've been a more fairer result because of Swansea's first half performance but its about the scoreline and Liverpool edged it there.

With lucky,what I mean is that Swansea didn't take their chances. This of course is Swansea's fault but this has to be said that you were lucky in the first half. If this game consisted primarily of the second half, Liverpool wins it hands down and I never buy this GK theory as the game is about 11 players and after all Mignolet and De gea are the team members so their contribution is similar to a player scoring 3 up front but again Swansea should have scored which they didn't and you won because you did.

Your first paragraph perfectly explains why I called this a game a level one with a draw a more fairer result.

This is what has been happening with United for the whole of the season where we have been taking our chances but we have been called Lucky?your 3rd paragraph further strengthens the opinion that what United has been doing all season isn't lucky' date=' rather its getting the job done.

First and most of all, if someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean he is biased so you need to get this idea out of your mind and yes we have been lucky as we haven't been playing the way we need to in order to WIN a game and similarly Liverpool weren't good enough to guarantee a win yesterday.

This is unbelievable. You're so good at picking and choosing the points that you would like to answer. I am saying that 1 defeat in 22 says a lot rather than just being lucky whereas Liverpool have been a far better side then us in 2015 and they just didn't deserve to win yesterday's game. You can be lucky in 1 game but can't be lucky in 22 games.

Lol, this is laughable. An unsettled team is 3rd and is about to challenge 2nd. I still wonder what would this side be under LvG when they get settled. Moreover, except ADM and Falcao, all our summer signings have been playing decent. Falcao is a lost cause anyways. The initial squad that was on LvG's disposal is the issue.[/quote']

Swansea never took there chances Liverpool did and they are lucky? Yet by your very own admittance when it is your team it is not luck it 'is getting the job done' so what part of that is not being biased?

Winning games and playing poorly when the other side is the better team is luck. Who said you were lucky in all of those 22 games? I certainly never it was you who alluded to it, and those level headed fans have previously stated that they have taken wins from games they never deserved to so of course that is riding your luck and if you can't see that then you are even more naive than I first thought.

Nicely dismissive of the stat man's post (Ed) as well. How on earth can a team be lucky who had 40% possession in the first half yet come away with more possession at the end of the game and the win. Seems you are judging this on Swanseas first half performance whilst being dismissive of Liverpools second half performance. How on earth can you debate such a game with a person who has a blurred view of the game?

It was a game of two halves really, dominant in the first, dominated in the second and on the balance of it a fairly even game that I thought we were unlucky not to draw given the element of luck involved in the winner. We can't have any complaints for not finding the net our self, we weren't urgent enough in the final third, not taking up near enough chances to pull the trigger.

I wouldn't say that we didn't turn up in the second half, obviously the performance was nowhere near the standard of the first half and we failed to create any decent chance but in terms of defensive organisation and commitment we were still there. We're not an easy side to score against even when we have our backs to the wall, Monk's newer system is very defensively strong and United struggled to create more than a couple of good chances despite dominating possession against it.

Congratulations to Liverpool though, going in to half time it was always going to be difficult for Rodgers to change the game but he was able to tactically, he stopped us playing and flipped the game on it's head. It's a very difficult place to win at, only yourselves, Southampton, Spurs and Chelsea have won games here and only Chelsea have done it any more convincingly than yourselves.

Swansea never took there chances Liverpool did and they are lucky? Yet by your very own admittance when it is your team it is not luck it 'is getting the job done' so what part of that is not being biased?

Winning games and playing poorly when the other side is the better team is luck. Who said you were lucky in all of those 22 games? I certainly never it was you who alluded to it' date=' and those level headed fans have previously stated that they have taken wins from games they never deserved to so of course that is riding your luck and if you can't see that then you are even more naive than I first thought.

Nicely dismissive of the stat man's post (Ed) as well. How on earth can a team be lucky who had 40% possession in the first half yet come away with more possession at the end of the game and the win. Seems you are judging this on Swanseas first half performance whilst being dismissive of Liverpools second half performance. How on earth can you debate such a game with a person who has a blurred view of the game? [/font']

I actually referred it to your statement regarding the first point.

Well we have been bad but the other team has been rarely better then us for example Arsenal and Soton were. Other than that, its the same story as Liverpool was yesterday. Didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to lose.

Well I have been saying this for a while now(third time) Liverpool didn't deserve to win the game due to their first half performance that stats would show as well. I would also suggest you to have a look at the stats of United's games and you'd be surprised how level they actually are are times where we didn't deserve to WIN.

Moreover, I have been talking a much more respectable manner and I'd suggest you to do the same or not reply to my post from now on if you are going to call me naive,idiot and bias.

I actually referred it to your statement regarding the first point.

Well we have been bad but the other team has been rarely better then us for example Arsenal and Soton were. Other than that' date=' its the same story as Liverpool was yesterday. Didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to lose.

Well I have been saying this for a while now(third time) Liverpool didn't deserve to win the game due to their first half performance that stats would show as well. I would also suggest you to have a look at the stats of United's games and you'd be surprised how level they actually are are times where we didn't deserve to WIN.

Moreover, I have been talking a much more respectable manner and I'd suggest you to do the same or not reply to my post from now on if you are going to call me naive,idiot and bias.[/quote']

As I said you are entitled to your opinion after all that is what the public forums are about, however I do feel you are bias hardly an insult more an observation.

Also stop taking what I said out of context since I neither called you an idiot or naive I merely insinuated it.

I find the assumption we were lucky to win to be totally inaccurate, we didn't play well first half but we found a way to win and that is what good teams do we dominated the second half and Swansea a side renowned for possession barely had the ball at all second half.

As for the criticism of Rodgers and what did he do, what he done was looked on from the touch line identified the fact the system was not working and the areas we needed to address and totally changed the game at half time by changing formation, nullifying Swansea and putting us on the front foot to be able to see the game from touch line level and more importantly be able to fix it is a wonderful asset to have.

Rodgers is without doubt tactically one of the best and most flexible managers in the League and gets undue criticism from people when across the time he has been here he has been tactically inventive and been prepared to change, he didn't just have a plan B last night when he matched Swansea's diamond, once we gained control he changed it again when Gerrard came on and it basically to all intents and purposes became a 3-1-5-1 formation.

The goal was fortuitous but then if Henderson don't make that run, if he don't press that high it never happens that pressing that intensity that ain't luck, the finish is fortuitous but it ain't luck that he is there sometimes you make your own luck and those good traits get rewarded.

Even if we hadn't scored that goal I felt confident we would have gone on and won but that just my opinion, no crystal ball can tell us what would have happened but we were firmly in control.

The game management once we scored was fantastic and we have become really good in that regard, we basically made sure nothing happened, totally snuffed out Swansea and still had a threat on the break this aspect of play is such an asset and we are in the past few months seeing games out like an on form Chelsea and that is a very positive thing to say.

Swansea never took there chances Liverpool did and they are lucky?

Insinuating that you took any of yours when in reality you didn't. You didn't 'take' any of your chances and your player got rewarded for dithering and getting tackled. It was just an unintentional fluke deflection. Unless you are willing to call all tackles on attacking players 'chances', which they clearly aren't your point doesn't make any sense.

I'd love to see your reaction if it was Man United who got the win in that exact fashion against us. The tune would soon be different.

Insinuating that you took any of yours when in reality you didn't. You didn't 'take' any of your chances and your player got rewarded for dithering and getting tackled. It was just an unintentional fluke deflection. Unless you are willing to call all tackles on attacking players 'chances'' date=' which they clearly aren't your point doesn't make any sense.

I'd love to see your reaction if it was Man United who got the win in that exact fashion against us. The tune would soon be different.[/quote']

Matt's a Newcastle fan

Sorry for the off topic but I though this thread would be the best place to reach the audience I am after on here (as the Everton thread is dead). I am doing a dissertation about Liverpool One and need people who visit any who lives/visits (doesn't matter how few times) to fill in a quick questionnaire. It takes less than 5 minutes and would be a big help to me.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HPP5SX9

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the off topic but I though this thread would be the best place to reach the audience I am after on here (as the Everton thread is dead). I am doing a dissertation about Liverpool One and need people who visit any who lives/visits (doesn't matter how few times) to fill in a quick questionnaire. It takes less than 5 minutes and would be a big help to me.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HPP5SX9

Thanks in advance.

Done.

I've only been to Liverpool a handful of times, so might not be of much use to you :P

Done.

I've only been to Liverpool a handful of times' date=' so might not be of much use to you :P[/quote']

Thanks very much, I actually need more people who haven't been that often as most of the votes are from people from Liverpool so it gives me a wider range of votes.