Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I disagree with regards Sturridge, he is a big miss.

He is still the player above all others if we get a chance I want it to fall to, just like United last week one chance one goal and I would always back his finishing over the likes of Sterling, Mario.

He clearly aintbeen at his best but his goal return still aint been to shabby and given how isolated he has been in recent weeks I think that has attributed to him looking worse than what he has actually been.

Just really worry wher the goals are coming from at present, almost certainly Sterling will go up top, there is a reasonable shout for a formation change at present with no Right sided WB who you have any confidence in and the fact we have seen our striker so isolated lately.

TBH I perfectly understand if we stick by the 3-4-3 just with the personnel we currently have avalaible I can see a potential change.

Also disagree with Gerrard whilst not a starter he can still be a big influence from the bench as he showed in the Swansea game if we are looking to change it (albeit clearly not in the United sense fashion :o)

Skrtel has been fantastic and we will miss his presence at the back.

Time will tell

Well I love the Studge but we're gonna need to sign another striker this window, who knows how long this is going to go on for. Danny Ings is a potential option, apparently keen on a move to Pool and would be a very cheap buy. Only question is though is he good enough.

Luciano Vietto is another name linked to us often and I think he would be the best option. Definitely wouldn't be cheap, but as we've shown in the last few windows the owners are willing to spend. While Ings offers a similar playing style to Sturridge and would fit into our system, this guy has the ability to play as a lone striker and I feel he would work better in a duo with Sturridge than Ings would.

Massive chance for Lovren now. If he gets a gig these next few games could possibly define his Liverpool career.

Good grief this week gets worse and worse...

Defeat To United....

Gerrard and Skrtel suspended (rightly) for three games...

Lallana Crocked

Sturridge facing another month out...

Some massive blows there going forward' date=' all seems to be happening at just the wrong time and particuarly in forward areas you do worry where the goals are going to come from....[/quote']

At least that's some good news.

Sturridge on current form isn't much of a loss as Sterling and to an extent Balo were doing a better job (Sterling especially at stretching the defence). May as well give the guy the season off it's clearly a write off for him.

Again Gerrard isn't much of a loss either we were doing a lot better without him in the squad and now Lucas is back as well.

Skrtel is a massive loss and now a big chance for either Kolo or Lovren to step up' date=' hopefully Sakho keeps fit because if we lose them two together our defence could crumble.

The defeat to United has basically ended our hopes of Top 4, may as well concentrate on getting to the FA Cup final and at least getting some silverware and a Wembley trip to send Gerrard off and put a stamp on a very poor season.

Hopefully Coutinho has a few of those wonder goals up his sleeve still as i'm very worried we'll score next to no goals for the remainder of the season.

This whole season has been a big sign that we need to invest in a striker who will actually fit our style of play, i'm a fan of Balo but lets face it the guy needs players around him to do the work he isn't going to be pressing or stretching defences. Sturridges injury woes are just awful especially after the season we had, no Champions League will make it a bit more difficult to get a good striker in so we'll have to be wise in that area.

One thing i'd aim for in particular is keeping these clean sheets up, if Mignolet can finish with the Golden Gloves after the season he's had it could be a massive boost for him here.[/quote']

Put a stamp on a very poor season lol.

Only paper talk at the moment but 'apparently' Sterling is going to turn a new contract offer of 180k.

Atrocious on two levels, first of all the fact that kind of money would be offered, it's no wonder young players nowadays go off the rails earning stupid amounts of money. Gives them nothing to work for as they've already made it.

Secondly, if true the role of his agent who you would assume is pushing him in this direction, bigger contract bigger slice of the pie he gets.

If the above is true you guys may be better just packing him off for 50million and let the likes of City deal with his money grabbing ways.

Only paper talk at the moment but 'apparently' Sterling is going to turn a new contract offer of 180k.

Atrocious on two levels' date=' first of all the fact that kind of money would be offered, it's no wonder young players nowadays go off the rails earning stupid amounts of money. Gives them nothing to work for as they've already made it.

Secondly, if true the role of his agent who you would assume is pushing him in this direction, bigger contract bigger slice of the pie he gets.

If the above is true you guys may be better just packing him off for 50million and let the likes of City deal with his money grabbing ways.[/quote']

His wages shouldn't even be near half of that, same for his price tag, but.. English. :rolleyes:

All-Star match was a fantastic experience yesterday, when Suarez and Torres ran out together for that second half the atmosphere and reaction was incredible and judging from Torres's twitter he wasn't expecting a good reaction and was completely overwhelmed by what he got, was great to hear the Torres song as well been a while since I heard it. Was just a great feel good match even John Terry took his reaction in good heart. Great to see the ovation Pepe got as well.

Not the best game to judge players abilities but Mario was loving playing without pressure completely ran that first half and his goal was brilliant, Jonjo was brilliant as well. I was watching Babel and all I could hear around me was people wondering why we sold him it was to be expected with him being match fit but he would still fit in now, also heard people praising Johnson but he was only defending against a larger Harry Kewell :P

All in all great experience and hugely depressing to see Gerrard, Suarez and Torres clicking in that second half :(

To be fair to offer him another at this point wasn't the smartest move by the club. He only said a week ago he wasn't going to listen to anymore offers until the end of the season. The fact that we've offered 180k at a time he's certain to reject probably means if there's any chance of him staying we'll have to offer even more, which really isn't worth it.

I'm half convinced we should be taking 50m for him and that being that if we can get that sort of money. We have plenty of other young players who can potentially be just as good as him and not necessarily as worried about money.

Sterling sold for £50m

Balotelli goes for £15m

Ronaldo joins for £65m

Nett spend zero.

This management lark is easy.

I'm not sure he goes to you. When we sell Barkley, Coleman and Lukaku we will be able to offer more money and a better wage packet for him.

Atrocious on two levels' date=' first of all the fact that kind of money would be offered, it's no wonder young players nowadays go off the rails earning stupid amounts of money. Gives them nothing to work for as they've already made it.

If the above is true you guys may be better just packing him off for 50million and let the likes of City deal with his money grabbing ways.[/quote']

I think people have to be very careful when weighing up the Sterling situation it appears that a lot of people (including a lot of Liverpool fans) are going to one of two extremes pay him what he wants, or get rid he is a mercenray etc

You can see the air of discontent starting to come into the ground and you get a small section now who start to barrack him every game and it aint right we need to support the kid constantly harranging him aint gunna make him play better and could start to affect confidence.

Have to bear in mind he has been shunted around and moved from pillar to post all season which cant help him. In no way is he ever going to be a RWB or LWB to be honest I can understand if he is frustrated within the role he is given in the side at times, he is one of the finest attacking players in the League and should be in that front three at all times, we are wasting him by playing him anywhere else and dont help him to maximise his skill set.

The reality is 99% of what is written in the media is complete tosh and false information is going out to the fan base. In no way do I think Sterling has demanded £180K a week or he has turned that down, most of what is written is complete rubbish driven by either agents or newspapers just making up stories for sensationalism.

He is however one of our most important players and in any profession you try to maximise your wage its normal, whilst I would agree he aint Notionally worth "150K" a week he is worth more than the 90K many people are banding about, finance in football has changed wages comtinue to grow and in this marketplace there will always be someone willing to go that extra mile.

Raheem is best at Liverpool and I think a compromise will be reached but I just wish some people would get off the kids back he always gives everything and doesnt moan in the media and not creating any of the stories himself, better it is all resolved the better but the summer is the appropriate time.

You have to wonder, if Sturridge had played as many games as Sterling, and Sterling had been injured as much as Daniel, would Liverpool's season have been better?

I'd take a fit Sturridge over Sterling any day of the week.

And the kid should remember that LFC is the best place for him right now. If he doesn't realise or appreciate that, then Liverpool should just get rid of him.

He hasn't won the hearts and minds of supporters yet and he's got a long way to go for that.

I'm confident his agent is causing the majority of this. He was making noises in the press himself before being told to shut up, and now he's wreaking havoc behind the scenes. If Sturridge and Lallana were without a doubt 100% fit going into this game I'd drop him from the squad. However there's a chance both of them won't play and then after that all we have is Mario, Borini and Super Rick. Really tough decisions to make in the coming week for Rodgers.

Time for Markovic to step up. We've all seen he's got the ability to be a gamechanger for us, and when he's got the confidence he matches Coutinho for quality. The thing is he's only produced that quality in a handful of appearances and for reasons I am unaware of he didn't even make the bench against United.

Assuming Lallana is fit and Sturridge isn't, we could try a front four of:

Borini

Lallana -- Coutinho -- Markovic

Borini will give us the workrate and provide space for the three attacking mids, but whether that attack will bring us goals is questionable.

Obviously there is still the option of Sterling but I really think Rodgers needs to act now to get this situation under control or it could derail our season completely. Show Sterling he isn't the be all and end all of this team. Put him in a position where he needs to work hard to get to the place he thinks he's already in.

It's Rodger's fault' date=' if he didn't compare him to players like Messi, Sterling and his agent wouldn't have a leg to stand on.[/quote']

Disagree with that. Obviously the comparsion is a bit exaggerated as was his "Welsh Xavi" remark but it's part of his strategy to build confidence. To a certain degree you've got a point but to say Rodgers should take the blame for trying to get the best out of his players isn't fair from my P.O.V.