Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Disagree with that. Obviously the comparsion is a bit exaggerated as was his "Welsh Xavi" remark but it's part of his strategy to build confidence. To a certain degree you've got a point but to say Rodgers should take the blame for trying to get the best out of his players isn't fair from my P.O.V.

Yeah but he could have just said Sterling is playing really well or something along those lines, not to compare him to the player of a generation. If a manager is comparing someone to a world class player, surely that will make the player think he should get paid like one. I know if I was in Sterlings situation I would be doing the same.

This thread has got out of hand. I have Liverpool supporting friends and it's all okay. Remember when Suarez left? It's okay, he got lucky they'd progress and still challenge for the league. They had Sturridge and Sterling. Now Sturridge is dead and Sterling, well about 2 days ago they decided he wasn't anywhere good as he was and they went from saying £120million to saying £50million. Because he clearly fancies leaving.

Don't worry lads, things are on the up, a nice attempt at getting in the Europa next season will sort you out.

Yeah but he could have just said Sterling is playing really well or something along those lines' date=' not to compare him to the player of a generation. If a manager is comparing someone to a world class player, surely that will make the player think he should get paid like one. I know if I was in Sterlings situation I would be doing the same.[/quote']

I get what your saying. But Rodgers doesn't just open his mouth for the sake of it, and I think he's shown with his press conference just now that he is smart enough to handle this situation.

This thread has got out of hand. I have Liverpool supporting friends and it's all okay. Remember when Suarez left? It's okay' date=' he got lucky they'd progress and still challenge for the league. They had Sturridge and Sterling. Now Sturridge is dead and Sterling, well about 2 days ago they decided he wasn't anywhere good as he was and they went from saying £120million to saying £50million. Because he clearly fancies leaving.

Don't worry lads, things are on the up, a nice attempt at getting in the Europa next season will sort you out.[/quote']

Palace look like they've steered clear of the drop for another year, not bad.

I'm not sure why I'm being quoted when you then bring up one of the worst sides in the league. Bit miffed here mate' date=' want to help me out? I know I have a season ticket and stuff, is it because we're both season ticket holders at our clubs?[/quote']

It's gotten to the point where I just cringe now.

There is no way Borini should start against Arsenal or at all in Sturridges absence, he ain't good enough and the sooner he realises that the better for his career.

Inb4andbalotelliis?

Mario should be starting god knows why hes been dropped after the form he started to show, he's match fit unlike both Lambert and Borini and I'd sooner play him upfront than Sterling, he was very impressive in the All-Star match, obviously it was only a charity game but confidence can go a long way. I'd also expect Sterling and Coutinho behind him with Lallana a doubt and Markovic back on the right side. Fitness providing I'd start like this

Mignolet

Can -- Lovren -- Sakho

Markovic -- Henderson -- Lucas -- Moreno

Sterling -- Coutinho

Balotelli

Not expecting anything out of the match, if there is any hope of Top 4 it's a must win but the chances are still slim, lose and it's done.

Good God advocating starting Mario up front on his own, dear oh dear....

I still can't see where this "good form" is we had nigh on 4-5 months of Mario playing up front on his own and it don't work that was very very clear to see, he don't suit our style of play and we need that pace and movement up top for the way we play Mario provides neither...

Also fairly weak argument to use a charity match as some kind of indicator for him playing, it's a charity match nobody was trying, no tackles, nothing such a weak argument.

Our season turned around once we started playing Raheem up top and he suits our style of play so much more than Mario, we have looked at our best this season most often when he has played up top and if Studge ain't playing it is an absolute No Brainer to have Raheem leading the line.

If Mario is to start for us in no way should he play as a lone striker he ain't capable of playing the role....he also ain't likely to be able to play in a 3-4-2-1 as a starter in the two because he ain't capable of pressing in the way we want. We ain't likely to be playing two up top anytime soon either so with that in mind...

Impact Sub at best till the end of the season that's his role, then come end of season if and that's a big IF we can shift him he will be gone, Brendon never wanted him in the first place.

Good God advocating starting Mario up front on his own' date=' dear oh dear....

I still can't see where this "good form" is we had nigh on 4-5 months of Mario playing up front on his own and it don't work that was very very clear to see, he don't suit our style of play and we need that pace and movement up top for the way we play Mario provides neither...

Also fairly weak argument to use a charity match as some kind of indicator for him playing, it's a charity match nobody was trying, no tackles, nothing such a weak argument.

Our season turned around once we started playing Raheem up top and he suits our style of play so much more than Mario, we have looked at our best this season most often when he has played up top and if Studge ain't playing it is an absolute No Brainer to have Raheem leading the line.

If Mario is to start for us in no way should he play as a lone striker he ain't capable of playing the role....he also ain't likely to be able to play in a 3-4-2-1 as a starter in the two because he ain't capable of pressing in the way we want. We ain't likely to be playing two up top anytime soon either so with that in mind...

Impact Sub at best till the end of the season that's his role, then come end of season if and that's a big IF we can shift him he will be gone, Brendon never wanted him in the first place.[/quote']

We don't have the depth to fully replace Sturridge, Sterling loses so much of his game going upfront and especially against Coquelin I fancy Sterling and Coutinho would give him a nightmare in the attacking midfield space, if Lallanas unfit who else can play attacking mid? I'd personally play Sterling and Mario upfront together, I don't understand how you couldn't see Mario's obvious improvement before he was dropped he deserves the chance, there isn't much to play for anymore and the way Sterling's acting and been playing recently it certainly isn't a no brainer.

Also said the charity game wasn't a big thing but if you don't think he would have gained some confidence after his performance then you're wron, a goal is a goal and it can go a long way.

If Sterling plays upfront and Lallana isn't fit who goes into attacking mid?

We don't have the depth to fully replace Sturridge' date=' Sterling loses so much of his game going upfront and especially against Coquelin I fancy Sterling and Coutinho would give him a nightmare in the attacking midfield space, if Lallanas unfit who else can play attacking mid? I'd personally play Sterling and Mario upfront together, I don't understand how you couldn't see Mario's obvious improvement before he was dropped he deserves the chance, there isn't much to play for anymore and the way Sterling's acting and been playing recently it certainly isn't a no brainer.

Also said the charity game wasn't a big thing but if you don't think he would have gained some confidence after his performance then you're wron, a goal is a goal and it can go a long way.

If Sterling plays upfront and Lallana isn't fit who goes into attacking mid?[/quote']

A Charity match brings you nothing, it is a charity match there is nothing to gain in a game where nobody is trying.

I again ask why after months of seeing Mario play up front on his own and the team playing like a drain, yet we play Sterling up front the team is much better, more cohesive, more movement, more pace there is not a single legitimate reason to advocate playing him upfront on his own......it does not work and does not suit the side that much is plain to see.

It is a No Brainer.

As for tomorrow firstly I wouldn't be surprised if the formation is changed and even if it is not I see Lucas coming in for Lallana if he ain't fit and pushing Hendo slightly further up with Allen and Lucas behind which makes sense lots of energy, much better pressing and Hendo has the engine to work both ends of the pitch and an eye for a pass.

Mario can only play if we play two right up top, that really ain't likely to happen, face it he can't play up front on his own, he ain't got the skill set or ability to do so, Sterling offers so much more especially with the characteristics of this side.

Of course this also depends on Sturridge fitness if he is avaliable can't imagine it will be anything other than Studge with Raheem and Coutinho behind and most probably Markovic/even possibly Johnson as RWB.

This isn't one of my off the cuff' date=' over exaggerated predictions, it's the truth. I can't see how we would fail to at least score three against your back line. It's begging to be attacked.[/quote']

You might score three but I'd fancy Liverpool to score 4 being up against the human combine harvester that is Mertseker (spelling)

Slowest player in the league by a mile.

One word' date=' Koscielny. Coutinho's the only player that concerns me really.

If we lose, it'll be down to the fact we've arsed about with the ball too much. Quite possible, of course.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong Koscielny is quality,saves Arsenal all the time is that big dozy slow German that costs you points.

Can see tommorow being a goal-fest.

Sterling being linked with United in tomorrows papers' date=' isn't he a United fan?

I'm not even suggesting he'll come to United, personally think he'll end up at City if he does leave Liverpool.[/quote']

To be fair don't think he would give a minutes thought to leaving Liverpool if one of the big clubs come knocking.

Clearly ambitious ,probably realises that trophy wise it ain't gonna happen at Liverpool(unfortunately)

He has no affinity with Liverpool whatsoever can see him leaving in the summer or at worst next January.

Will be a huge fee though,upwards of 40-50 million.

You might score three but I'd fancy Liverpool to score 4 being up against the human combine harvester that is Mertseker (spelling)

Slowest player in the league by a mile.

I'd imagine it will be gabirel - Koscienly at CB tomorrow (Unless one got injured?)

I think it will be a close game, and think both will score. We should just edge it due to your injuries/suspensions. Sterling has to go upfront, and balo on the bench if you gonna get a win imo.

A Charity match brings you nothing' date=' it is a charity match there is nothing to gain in a game where nobody is trying.

I again ask why after months of seeing Mario play up front on his own and the team playing like a drain, yet we play Sterling up front the team is much better, more cohesive, more movement, more pace there is not a single legitimate reason to advocate playing him upfront on his own......it does not work and does not suit the side that much is plain to see.

It is a No Brainer.

As for tomorrow firstly I wouldn't be surprised if the formation is changed and even if it is not I see Lucas coming in for Lallana if he ain't fit and pushing Hendo slightly further up with Allen and Lucas behind which makes sense lots of energy, much better pressing and Hendo has the engine to work both ends of the pitch and an eye for a pass.

Mario can only play if we play two right up top, that really ain't likely to happen, face it he can't play up front on his own, he ain't got the skill set or ability to do so, Sterling offers so much more especially with the characteristics of this side.

Of course this also depends on Sturridge fitness if he is avaliable can't imagine it will be anything other than Studge with Raheem and Coutinho behind and most probably Markovic/even possibly Johnson as RWB.[/quote']

Let us be honest after Sterlings unsactioned interview he'll be lucky to be in the starting line up.

Hoping Markovic gets a go tonight, most likely will aswell with Ibe still out and a potential catastrophe waiting to happen if Sterling plays on the right again. Could be a formation change though but I'd be very surprised. Never know with the BR though.

Think it would be wise to reinstate Lucas as well. Arsenal's main strength is their playmakers and Lucas will give us a better chance of stopping them if he's in the team than if he's not.

One question that has gone a bit under the radar due to the Sterling thing is:

Kolo or Lovren?

The safest option would be Kolo, but Rodgers being Rodgers may see this as the chance to either make or break Lovren.

Soooo predictions???

An ideal result from a United fan's perspective is a draw giving us the chance to overtake Arsenal and give ourselves some more breathing space between you guys and top 4 however any result is good for us because it either makes 3rd place more achievable, or 4th place nearly secured.

I'm going to go 2-1 Arsenal, I think too many key Liverpool players are either missing or not fully fit otherwise I would have fancied you to bag a win.

As for tomorrow firstly I wouldn't be surprised if the formation is changed and even if it is not I see Lucas coming in for Lallana if he ain't fit and pushing Hendo slightly further up with Allen and Lucas behind which makes sense lots of energy' date=' much better pressing and Hendo has the engine to work both ends of the pitch and an eye for a pass.

Of course this also depends on Sturridge fitness if he is avaliable can't imagine it will be anything other than Studge with Raheem and Coutinho behind and most probably Markovic/even possibly Johnson as RWB.[/quote']

Honestly I think I should just manage this side, yet again my starting prediction is bang on, I know Brendon better than Brendon knows Brendon :P