Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Why play Kelly at left back?

I like him and think he is a future star for us, but he is still very inexperienced at right back let alone left. He played there the other day and was out of his depth made a few mistakes and wasn't as good as he has been in other games.

Johnson played left back when he first came here, I think he played there a few times for Portsmouth too, surely put Kelly in his natural position where he will feel more confident and let a more experienced international play left back.

Do strongly believe we need to play 3 in the middle like you said though (and i said before the Blackpool game) and I'm not talking about 2 holding and an attacking midfielder, we need 3 guys in the middle that all move about and give eachother multiple options when one has the ball. I even think having Gerrard-Merieles and Cole as the middle three might improve the teams form. Then have Maxi, Kuyt, Jovanovic, Babel, Pacheco as wide attacking players moving from 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 throughout the game.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

"Thanks but NO YANKS! - Rumours going around that Stefan Persson could possibly be interested in taking over. He was supposedly at a match in September. Phil Thompson has also said he's heard something could be done before the Everton game. But the deadline for H&G falls within that period anyway ;)

3 hours ago"

Any of you lads that live around the Liverpool area heard this 'rumour'?

"Thanks but NO YANKS! - Rumours going around that Stefan Persson could possibly be interested in taking over. He was supposedly at a match in September. Phil Thompson has also said he's heard something could be done before the Everton game. But the deadline for H&G falls within that period anyway ;)

3 hours ago"

lot of rumours going around at the minute.

i heard that broughton will resign on thursday

and that theirs an emergency meeting arranged for thursday

Liverpool Football Club tonight issued the following press statement:

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting, the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutheon.

This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity.

Sounds like the sale is on the verge of happening but Hicks and Gillett are trying every trick in the book to hang on to their cash cow

If this goes to the courts it could go on for years

3 hours ago"

I come from Liverpool but I am a Everton fan. Alot of my mates told me something about the Boston Red Socks owner wanted to buy liverpool. Also my dad just came in from work and told me the same thing so there are strong rumours within the city.

Liverpool Football Club tonight issued the following press statement:

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting' date=' the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutheon.

This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity.

[/font']

Sounds like the sale is on the verge of happening but Hicks and Gillett are trying every trick in the book to hang on to their cash cow

If this goes to the courts it could go on for years

It is an absolute shambles and as i said months and months ago those two are greed merchants.....they will run this club into the ground if they dont get what they want. This could rumble on and on and on.....

According to my mate who works in Liverpool for press companies, the new bids arent that impressive either in terms of what they offer to the club as a whole. I get more and more depressed daily Liverpool is one of the loves of my lives and it hurts so so bad :(:(

It is an absolute shambles and as i said months and months ago those two are greed merchants.....they will run this club into the ground if they dont get what they want. This could rumble on and on and on.....

According to my mate who works in Liverpool for press companies' date=' the new bids arent that impressive either in terms of what they offer to the club as a whole. I get more and more depressed daily Liverpool is one of the loves of my lives and it hurts so so bad :(:([/quote']

Could be worse dude. At least your not battling the taxman every month in an attempt to stay afloat, while the board that oversaw a demise from a solid Premier League club to an average-at-best League One outfit sit there, dragging their knuckles waiting to get their money back from the imaginary would-be investors.... :rolleyes:

(While the man who took charge during the demise took off to become the Chairman of the Premier League... :mad:)

This is not directed at Liverpool fans but I don't know where else to post this. I think it is fair to say that Liverpool fans have done more than Newcastle fans did against Mike Ashley and over a longer period of time but there does not seem to be anywhere near the same amount of newspapers or fans condemning or making fun of the fans protests at the owner(s). It really annoys me because both sets of fans are passionate about their football club and Newcastle is as close to me as Liverpool is to any supporter but the way the media go about reporting them is completely different. It seemed like the protests by Newcastle fans were seen as a joke but the media aren't making jokes about Liverpool now.

Anyway, that video is quite interesting to watch as a neutral but that won't make any difference to Hicks and Gillett. They will have faced far worse when they attend matches and will be aware of comments made on message boards etc. It does look like their tenure is coming to and end though so best of luck and hopefully your new owners will be better than those two bufoons.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/board-agree-proposed-sale

Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Rousch Fenway Racing.

Martin Broughton, Liverpool FC Chairman, said:

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive. The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.

"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.

"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."

Note to editors:

The sale is conditional on Premier League approval, resolution of the dispute concerning Board membership and other matters.

According to my mate who works in Liverpool for press companies' date=' the new bids arent that impressive either in terms of what they offer to the club as a whole. I get more and more depressed daily Liverpool is one of the loves of my lives and it hurts so so bad :(:([/quote']

So long as the banks don't renege on their promise to call in the debt on deadline day, Hicks and Gillett don't have a leg to stand on by my understanding. It's probably in their interest to take what they get now, because they risk getting less if RBS goes down that route. The only thing that could halt the deal going through is if they manage to re-finance the loan somehow, but with the value of the club seemingly dropping by the minute, I can't see that happening.

I am similarly pessimistic however at NESV taking over. Could just be a case of swapping one owner for another. Whilst there's been hints of optimism, there's no obvious evidence yet that funds to improve the quality of the playing staff. Would love to be proved wrong. I sense a Johnny C post coming anytime soon, riddled with a pessimistic outlook :(

"Yanks out' date=' Yanks out - oh wait..."[/quote']

Yanks out, fine upstanding American citizens in :D (until proven otherwise)

PS No offence intended to any of our American members :)

So long as the banks don't renege on their promise to call in the debt on deadline day, Hicks and Gillett don't have a leg to stand on by my understanding. It's probably in their interest to take what they get now, because they risk getting less if RBS goes down that route. The only thing that could halt the deal going through is if they manage to re-finance the loan somehow, but with the value of the club seemingly dropping by the minute, I can't see that happening.

I am similarly pessimistic however at NESV taking over. Could just be a case of swapping one owner for another. Whilst there's been hints of optimism, there's no obvious evidence yet that funds to improve the quality of the playing staff. Would love to be proved wrong. I sense a Johnny C post coming anytime soon, riddled with a pessimistic outlook :(

At work so aint got time to write a full breakdown of my assessment, but shouldnt get caried away.

As I understand it this guy aint got that much cash so remains to be seen if

1) he actually does take over its not cut and dry yet, Hicks and Gilette will try every trick in the book I bet

2) Whether he actually has the necessary funds to build a stadium and more importnatly invest significantly in a squad which needs major revamping

As I understand it this guy aint got that much cash so remains to be seen if

1) he actually does take over its not cut and dry yet' date=' Hicks and Gilette will try every trick in the book I bet

2) Whether he actually has the necessary funds to build a stadium and more importnatly invest significantly in a squad which needs major revamping[/quote']

its not just one guy its a group and i wouldn't rate owners on their personal wealth. hicks and gillet are worth more than a billion but have barely spent a penny on us since taken over

Here is some more information about the other people involved in buying Liverpool aside from Henry:

Seth Klarman is the founder and president of the Baupost Group, a Boston-based private investment partnership, which managed USD 22 Billion as of 2010

John A. Kaneb (PW : $600mil)

Bought a controlling interest in Gulf Oil and tripled its sale...s to US$4.6 billion before selling it in 2005. The Kaneb family acquired HP Hood LLC in 1995 and increased its annual sales from US$600 million to about US$2.3 billion. Kaneb is also part owner of the Boston Red Sox; Hood blimps are often seen over home games.

Jeffrey N. Vinik Founder, Vinik Asset Management (PW : $515 million)

Vinik made his name running Fidelity's Magellan Fund. He started his own company in 1996 and made investors a reported 93.8 percent return in his first 11 months (and about 50 percent a year for each of the three years after that). Then he gave them back their $4.2 billion to focus on his own portfolio. Vinik, who also owns a piece of the Red Sox.

Arthur E. Nicholas Co-founder, Nicholas Applegate Capital Management; co-founder and senior partner, Nicholas Investment Partners(PW : $640 million)

Nicholas-Applegate Capital Management in San Diego, the privately owned investment management firm that he co-founded in 1984, had $45 billion under management when he sold it to Allianz AG in 2000. Nicholas was the firm's chairman and CEO at the time of purchase by the German company, and he remained on the executive committee for a brief time after that.

Add Henry on to that and Tom Werner (600-800m various sources)

This is not directed at Liverpool fans but I don't know where else to post this. I think it is fair to say that Liverpool fans have done more than Newcastle fans did against Mike Ashley and over a longer period of time but there does not seem to be anywhere near the same amount of newspapers or fans condemning or making fun of the fans protests at the owner(s). It really annoys me because both sets of fans are passionate about their football club and Newcastle is as close to me as Liverpool is to any supporter but the way the media go about reporting them is completely different. It seemed like the protests by Newcastle fans were seen as a joke but the media aren't making jokes about Liverpool now.

Anyway' date=' that video is quite interesting to watch as a neutral but that won't make any difference to Hicks and Gillett. They will have faced far worse when they attend matches and will be aware of comments made on message boards etc. It does look like their tenure is coming to and end though so best of luck and hopefully your new owners will be better than those two bufoons.[/quote']

Because Newcastle are a bunch of inbred idiots that nobody cares about.

Sorry if this has been covered or if I sound like a idiot but I am confused how this bid has been accepted if Hicks and Gillett do not agree to the sale? Thanks if anyone replies.

I believe its a legal battle or heading that way, The Americans are trying to sack 3 board members too bring there own in to block the deal, as the members they are trying to replace have accepted the deal.

Dosn't matter if the clubs briefly put in to admin by the bank, the Prem league have already said the 9 point deduction wouldn't apply because the club is solvent. Same situation as last season when West Ham were sold and the bank briefly pulled the finance and they didn't get a 9 point deduction for there brief administration period.