Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

You can't replace Luis Suarez. We tried to get Sanchez and he wouldn't come. Who else could we have gotten? Falcao? :confused:

I keep saying Bony' date=' Jackson Martinez or someone[/b']

And what has he done since he joined Man City. Absolutely nothing.

your forgetting Bony was at African cup and City likes playing 1 up front at times

Yes, that's his point. Because EPL pay beats Serie A pay, players will want to move from Serie A to the EPL. Look at Erik Lamela. Probably one of the best players at Roma that season and then moves to Spurs.

Still can't see Liverpool attracting the big names of Italy like Icardi or Dybala etc, top clubs will prob get the best shot

I think Klopp might go to PSG

On what basis exactly? When they have Laurent Blanc who is on course for the domestic Treble? Why would they replace there French manager? Why would Blanc want to leave?

Do you even do any research to your posts?

PSG owners want the Champs league trophy, Blanc was rumoured to go earlier on this season, Blanc and Ibra I think have fallen out, Psg not running away with the league

It just my gut feeling

I really hope BR stays personally. Think he massively overachieved last campaign and this season would of needed superpowers to meet expectations given the fact he has had zero firepower. That said lessons clearly need to be learned in the transfer market. Think we will see wholesale changes this summer with many big earners leaving opening the door for a rebuild. I really hope FSG scrap this nonsensical youth policy and bring in some experience and know how. Would also like to see a bit more physicality added to the squad. In this league there are certain games where you have to roll your sleeves up and scrap it out and atm we simply are not equipped to deal with that type of challenge.

This season has been really poor, I dont see how anyone could see otherwise. Even disregarding the fact we did amazing last season it has still been bad as apart from that recent run we went on we've been awful this season.

I think Klopp might go to PSG

You really need to have some kind of backing for your posts. And you have yet to mention Jackson Martinez at all. You were harping on and on about Wilfried Bony who has been poor by just about every standard since joining Man City.

The fact you say City prefer to play with one striker shows that you know absolutely nothing about football, especially considering Sergio Aguero himself has said that he prefers to play with another striker. So that would be a two striker formation. You've seen the 4-4-2 formations City have been playing right?

And big names like Icardi and Dybala. Don't joke. They are not big names. And I'd rather not pay 30m for one of them anyway. So perhaps good riddance.

Actually i'll say Gerrard leaving could be the best thing for Rodgers next season. He's no longer will face dilemma to play Gerrard or not and if next season our midfield still can't be dominant enough,it could be last season for Rodgers. But for now,he absolutely need and should stay.

You really need to have some kind of backing for your posts. And you have yet to mention Jackson Martinez at all. You were harping on and on about Wilfried Bony who has been poor by just about every standard since joining Man City.

Give Bony a break' date=' he only played 5 games for City since joining and you can't judge a player just by 5 games, I keep mentioning him as Liverpool were in for him last summer but didn't want to pay £20mil[/b']

The fact you say City prefer to play with one striker shows that you know absolutely nothing about football, especially considering Sergio Aguero himself has said that he prefers to play with another striker. So that would be a two striker formation. You've seen the 4-4-2 formations City have been playing right?

What did they play vs Barcelona, United, Stoke? Have u seen these formations?

And big names like Icardi and Dybala. Don't joke. They are not big names. And I'd rather not pay 30m for one of them anyway. So perhaps good riddance.

Icardi and Dybala are impressing the big teams in Europe, I don't think Liverpool can open their cheque books for 30+mil player like what the top 4 atm can do

Liverpool cant match the top lot in transfers and will fall behind

You are seriously starting to argue for the sake of trying to stir the pot and annoy Liverpool fans at this stage. Wilfried Bony has been average at Manchester City at best and he's playing with talent that far exceeds that of the Liverpool side.

Also, Manchester City v. Barcelona at the Etihad:

1. Joe Hart 4. Vincent Kompany 5. Pablo Zabaleta 6. Fernando 7. James Milner 8. Samir Nasri 10. Edin Dzeko 16. Sergio Aguero 21. David Silva. 22. Gael Clichy 26. Martin Demichelis

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure Edin Dzeko is a striker. They played the exact same formation against Liverpool in that 2-1 game at Anfield. And of course they changed it against Barcelona afterwards, they were absolutely outplayed for those two games with two strikers up front. They prefer to play two strikers up front. When your best player says that he wants to play with another striker, that's what they tend to do.

I don't think we want to open our chequebooks for 30m to sign Mauro Icardi or Paulo Dybala. In fact, I'd be quite annoyed if we spent 30m on another youngster when for 30m you can sign more proven players.

Who says we have too?

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson etc all signed at a time when Liverpool didnt have Champions League football and hadnt had for some time.

Meanwhile paying top dollar for top talent isnt always the best way to go - every club, including Liverpool, can testify to that.

We'll work with the hand we have.

Who says we have too?

Suarez' date=' Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson[/b'] etc all signed at a time when Liverpool didnt have Champions League football and hadnt had for some time.

Meanwhile paying top dollar for top talent isnt always the best way to go - every club, including Liverpool, can testify to that.

We'll work with the hand we have.

Because the was no competition look closely at those players you mention

Sturridge was at chelsea needed playing time

Coutinho inter was slowly going into decline money was needed

Henderson was playing for sunderland for crying out loud ( move to bigger team)

Suarez was playing for ajax and wanted to move to a bigger team ( No competition to sign him)

Let say liverpool miss out in champions league and manchester united make top 4. Liverpool and manchester united both want to sign martinez (Porto) Where do you think he would choose to go?

You are seriously starting to argue for the sake of trying to stir the pot and annoy Liverpool fans at this stage. Wilfried Bony has been average at Manchester City at best and he's playing with talent that far exceeds that of the Liverpool side.

I don't think we want to open our chequebooks for 30m to sign Mauro Icardi or Paulo Dybala. In fact' date=' I'd be quite annoyed if we spent 30m on another youngster when for 30m you can sign more proven players.[/quote']

I don't normally jump to the defence of people but actually he does have valid points about options Liverpool had to improve their situation in that post.

Equally however Bony never really was an option because of Talentsearcher's final point, Liverpool can't compete with the bigger clubs for transfers. So he's wrong because he's right in other aspects

I also happen to agree that Liverpool don't currently have the ability IMO now to attract players above other clubs. A perfect example, and arguably one of the reasons for a slightly lower than desired seasonal performance, Alexis Sanchez.

The simple fact is that nobody is available for £30m that is a proven player who would join Liverpool over other clubs in the PL or abroad.

Liverpool need to take chances on younger players, develop them and try to reap the benefits. If/when they become a regular CL side then the top players will start to come back to Anfield, until then you've got to spend bigger on potential because the best in the world aren't lining up to join Liverpool.

Once again this is not me trying to be harsh, this is unfortunately the current situation for a team drenched in history. Liverpool won't attract ready made top names over City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

Icardi and Dybala are risks ofc, but if I'm being brutally honest I wouldn't see why either would end up at Liverpool when more appealing options are likely to present themselves. You'd be quite lucky IMO to end up in a position to buy one of them over the rest of Europe.

I don't normally jump to the defence of people but actually he does have valid points about options Liverpool had to improve their situation in that post.

Equally however Bony never really was an option because of Talentsearcher's final point' date=' Liverpool can't compete with the bigger clubs for transfers. So he's wrong because he's right in other aspects

I also happen to agree that Liverpool don't currently have the ability IMO now to attract players above other clubs. A perfect example, and arguably one of the reasons for a slightly lower than desired seasonal performance, Alexis Sanchez.

The simple fact is that nobody is available for £30m that is a proven player who would join Liverpool over other clubs in the PL or abroad.

Liverpool need to take chances on younger players, develop them and try to reap the benefits. If/when they become a regular CL side then the top players will start to come back to Anfield, until then you've got to spend bigger on potential because the best in the world aren't lining up to join Liverpool.

Once again this is not me trying to be harsh, this is unfortunately the current situation for a team drenched in history. Liverpool won't attract ready made top names over City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

Icardi and Dybala are risks ofc, but if I'm being brutally honest I wouldn't see why either would end up at Liverpool when more appealing options are likely to present themselves. You'd be quite lucky IMO to end up in a position to buy one of them over the rest of Europe.[/quote']

The point is, that's exactly the model we're pursuing. Liverpool are buying youngsters and trying to develop them. We've bought Emre Can and Lazar Markovic recently, we've developed some fantastic players in Jordan Henderson, Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe etc.

The current situation is perhaps better for us. We don't have a prolific record of signing expensive players, just look at the likes of Andy Carroll and Mario Balotelli. And just in football in general, signing expensive players don't tend to have that great of a payoff in the price-to-quality ratio of relatively cheaper players. This season alone, in the Premier League, perhaps the only three "expensive" signings that have paid dividends were Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, and Alexis Sanchez.

And yes we missed out on Costa and Sanchez, but we missed out on Costa a year before that and we missed out on Sanchez when we were runners-up in the Premier League and had Champions League football.

If you look at the expensive signings that have gone underperformed, the list is probably too long to make it complete, but just look at the likes of Falcao or Di Maria. It's just simple not the FSG way to sign expensive and older players. The team wants to develop youth, and although I think that they need to strike a balance on youth and experience, John Henry and the transfer committee are much more inclined to sign youth.

And honestly, I do not want Liverpool to sign Icardi or Dybala. I don't know how many times I need to say that. This is already the third time that I said that I would be disappointed if we overpaid for Icardi or Dybala. Also, I would much rather have the likes of Florian Thauvin or Nabil Fekir come to Liverpool, whose prices would be much more affordable, and they are fantastic players in their own right.

It'll be really interesting to see which direction the team wants to go with the summer transfers this summer, and I'm hoping that the team won't be making any poor purchases, but that's a lot easier said than done.

Who says we have too?

Suarez' date=' Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson etc all signed at a time when Liverpool didnt have Champions League football and hadnt had for some time.

We'll work with the hand we have.[/quote']

I hope you're not suggesting any of the above were ready made players?

They all signed because Liverpool offered them a chance.

For Suarez a chance to play in the PL.

For Coutinho and Sturridge a last chance to revive their failing careers.

For Henderson it was a step up from Sunderland with no other big club competing for him.

I'm not saying it's doom and gloom time for Liverpool but I wouldn't expect anything major this summer in terms of incomings.

Because the was no competition look closely at those players you mention

Sturridge was at chelsea needed playing time

Coutinho inter was slowly going into decline money was needed

Henderson was playing for sunderland for crying out loud ( move to bigger team)

Suarez was playing for ajax and wanted to move to a bigger team ( No competition to sign him)

Let say liverpool miss out in champions league and manchester united make top 4. Liverpool and manchester united both want to sign martinez (Porto) Where do you think he would choose to go?

Apart from the last part if your post being amongst the most obvious and easiest question to answer - your entire post makes my point.

Liverpool have been unable to compete for top players for many' date=' many years. This has yet to change and wont change until we are sustained competitors in the CL and the ground expansion opens more possibilities within FFP - a bigger ground and sustained success provide a platform to attract the top 5/10% of talent - until then we can either buy averagely, over pay for the better players, develop youth or those that have potential or individuals who have the club at heart.

This hasnt really changed for many years and whilst this first stint back in the champions league provided a start place for that sustained success it hasnt worked out (im of the opinion that last years sucess came to early) our transfer options havent really changed.

My point is that we have for the - yet again obvious reasons youve stated - we can find nuggets and i'd rather see Ibe, flanagan, wisdom etc be successful atvthe club next season that gamble another £30m on a possible.

Equally however Bony never really was an option because of Talentsearcher's final point, Liverpool can't compete with the bigger clubs for transfers. So he's wrong because he's right in other aspects

Icardi and Dybala are risks ofc, but if I'm being brutally honest I wouldn't see why either would end up at Liverpool when more appealing options are likely to present themselves. You'd be quite lucky IMO to end up in a position to buy one of them over the rest of Europe.

Again, this is - albeit well written - obvious stuff.

The point is' date=' that's exactly the model we're pursuing. Liverpool are buying youngsters and trying to develop them. We've bought Emre Can and Lazar Markovic recently, we've developed some fantastic players in Jordan Henderson, Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe etc.

The current situation is perhaps better for us. We don't have a prolific record of signing expensive players, just look at the likes of Andy Carroll and Mario Balotelli. And just in football in general, signing expensive players don't tend to have that great of a payoff in the price-to-quality ratio of relatively cheaper players. This season alone, in the Premier League, perhaps the only three "expensive" signings that have paid dividends were Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, and Alexis Sanchez.

And yes we missed out on Costa and Sanchez, but we missed out on Costa a year before that and we missed out on Sanchez when we were runners-up in the Premier League and had Champions League football.

If you look at the expensive signings that have gone underperformed, the list is probably too long to make it complete, but just look at the likes of Falcao or Di Maria. It's just simple not the FSG way to sign expensive and older players. The team wants to develop youth, and although I think that they need to strike a balance on youth and experience, John Henry and the transfer committee are much more inclined to sign youth.

And honestly, I do not want Liverpool to sign Icardi or Dybala. I don't know how many times I need to say that. This is already the third time that I said that I would be disappointed if we overpaid for Icardi or Dybala. Also, I would much rather have the likes of Florian Thauvin or Nabil Fekir come to Liverpool, whose prices would be much more affordable, and they are fantastic players in their own right.

It'll be really interesting to see which direction the team wants to go with the summer transfers this summer, and I'm hoping that the team won't be making any poor purchases, but that's a lot easier said than done.[/quote']

Thank goodness someone is continuing to bang the right drum.

Its interessting to me that the folks harping on about the doom and gloom transfer situation "you'll never get the top players" - tend to be non supporters of the club. They'll say were blind or niave, but as youve stated above genuine fans of the club understand we are building back rather than stating weve already arrived.

Also' date=' Manchester City v. Barcelona at the Etihad:

1. Joe Hart 4. Vincent Kompany 5. Pablo Zabaleta 6. Fernando 7. James Milner 8. Samir Nasri 10. Edin Dzeko 16. Sergio Aguero 21. David Silva. 22. Gael Clichy 26. Martin Demichelis

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure Edin Dzeko is a striker. They played the exact same formation against Liverpool in that 2-1 game at Anfield. And of course they changed it against Barcelona afterwards, they were absolutely outplayed for those two games with [b']two strikers up front[/b]. They prefer to play two strikers up front. When your best player says that he wants to play with another striker, that's what they tend to do.

I don't think we want to open our chequebooks for 30m to sign Mauro Icardi or Paulo Dybala. In fact, I'd be quite annoyed if we spent 30m on another youngster when for 30m you can sign more proven players.

I don't know about you but Was i referring to the game at the Etihad? no

Hart, Sagna, Kompany, Demichelis, Kolarov, Nasri, Milner, Silva, Toure, Fernardinho, Aguero

I don't see Dzeko unless they were playing 12 players vs Barcelona, How strange

Btw Bony only played 5 games, give him a chance, you cant judge a player after 5 games

Anyway back to Liverpool.......

Henderson signs a new five year contract.

Delighted, albeit he was awful at the weekend this season his performances and output both in terms of goals and assists has been of the very highest order.

Good to start getting these tied down expect Skrtel and Ibe to be the next two to put pen to paper following on from the Coutinho one earlier this year.

Anyway back to Liverpool.......

Henderson signs a new five year contract.

Delighted' date=' albeit he was awful at the weekend this season his performances and output both in terms of goals and assists has been of the very highest order.

Good to start getting these tied down expect Skrtel and Ibe to be the next two to put pen to paper following on from the Coutinho one earlier this year.[/quote']

Big day for Liverpool today, finally looks like you have actually tied down a champions league quality player, Sterling up next

Hart' date=' Sagna, Kompany, Demichelis, Kolarov, Nasri, Milner, Silva, Toure, Fernardinho, Aguero

Btw Bony only played 5 games, give him a chance, you cant judge a player after 5 games[/quote']

Let me explain this to you so it goes through your brain. Because if you don't grasp this concept then I will just concede everything to you because your intelligence is clearly of a higher realm than mine or anyone else in the forum. :rolleyes:

Manchester City and Sergio Aguero prefer to play with two strikers. They will play two strikers when they can and assuming that they have enough strikers left etc. The reason why City played with one striker at Camp Nou was because they were thoroughly outplayed by Barcelona and Liverpool in the two games they went two up front just before their Barcelona game. So any good manager, which despite the poor season, Pellegrini still is, will have to adapt their formation. So that's why City played with one striker at Camp Nou. Please try and comprehend these basic concepts.

Hart' date=' Sagna, Kompany, Demichelis, Kolarov, Nasri, Milner, Silva, Toure, Fernardinho, Aguero

Btw Bony only played 5 games, give him a chance, you cant judge a player after 5 games[/quote']

& stop banging on over 5 games! He has been a Prem player for 2 seasons no one is judging him, if he was good enough in Pellegrinis eye he would play more! Obviously not better than Dzeko

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-04-25%2Bat%2B6.23.34%2Bpm.png

I think we're at the point now where Balotelli deserves one last chance as he has shown promise in recent appearances but has never really been able to build on it due to illness or whatever. If utilised correctly things could really click with him in the middle and both Sterling and Ibe making runs beyond him.

Sack Allen and give Can a chance alongside Hendo in midfield. Could prove to be effective as both have the legs to cover a lot of ground. Can is a lot more hungry for the ball than Allen, and if we want someone to be flying into tackles in the middle of the park Allen isn't going to be that man. Can is also likely to be a lot more effective with the ball when he's got it. Aside from the game against Manchester City, all Allen seems to have the balls to do is a 5 yard pass and we're going to need more than that if we have any hope of miraculously catching City.

I have no idea what's going on with Flanno's injury, so I'm assuming he's still out. Johnson was once quality but is now useless and won't be here next season so it makes little sense to keep playing him. Manquillo showed potential early on in the season but since we switched to a 3 at the back he never fitted in. Now if Rodgers has the common sense I hope he does we will be back with four in defence and Manquillo should have another chance. Not sure how his 2 year loan works but if there's a decision to be made at the end of the season we best let him show us what he's got as we've got no one better to play right back.

I've often defended Lovren and was a big fan of the Southampton version of him, but all season he's been in a constant cycle of getting dropped and coming back only to dissappoint again. I'd say out of him and Kolo, Kolo is the lesser risk as while he has proven to be very erratic at times he's also had his good spells. I'm sure he'll remember how his last visit to The Hawthorns ended and will want to put things right this time around.

Don't really see the point in playing Mario. Clearly it hasn't worked and he wont be here next season. Summer is approaching, just keep your head down til then and move on. Would rather see likes of Ibe and Markovic get minutes.

Mignolet

GJ Skretl Lovren Moreno

Can Hendo

Markovic Coutinho Ibe

Sterling

Would be my line up for today, Baggies play 4411 with Saido off Brown or Anichebe so Can and Hendo should be more than a match for Fletcher + Yacob/Morrison in the middle and West Brom really lack pace in the full back areas so thats where I'd be looking to exploit them.

Don't really see the point in playing Mario. Clearly it hasn't worked and he wont be here next season. Summer is approaching' date=' just keep your head down til then and move on. Would rather see likes of Ibe and Markovic get minutes.

[center']Mignolet

GJ Skretl Lovren Moreno

Can Hendo

Markovic Coutinho Ibe

Sterling[/center]

Would be my line up for today, Baggies play 4411 with Saido off Brown or Anichebe so Can and Hendo should be more than a match for Fletcher + Yacob/Morrison in the middle and West Brom really lack pace in the full back areas so thats where I'd be looking to exploit them.

Going by your reasoning behind not playing Mario then why play Glen Johnson? I could swap Johnson for Mario in your statement and you wouldn't notice the difference.