ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

That went well...

Complete lack of intent from Liverpool tonight which makes me question the mentality of the players.

Any chance of top 4 is now well and truly buried, pressure is off United fully despite their loss to Everton.

Now you'll have Spurs and Southampton nipping at your heels for Europa League.

I remember being adamant on this thread that Liverpool without Suarez had taken a big step backwards, that too much pressure was now on Sturridge who was likely to get and injury and that I doubted Liverpool would make the top 4 as I didn't see them scoring enough...

I also remember many Liverpool fans saying how ridiculous I was being and how their club was different :P

A few highlights :P

I must admit Ray you're taking the news quite well which is good to see but I'll be incredibly surprised (given how influential Suarez was) if Rodgers can do the same with Liverpool next season especially with more games in the champion's league and Sturridge not being renowned for his fitness.

I don't see where you'll get the goals needed to get top 4 again especially with Arsenal bagging Sanchez' date=' Chelsea strengthening, Man City etc as Suarez was the one weapon you had capable of damaging any side at any time which IMO you just don't have now.

The key thing is what Liverpool now do with that money and currently Lallana and reportedly Markovic do not both seem to be solving any key first team problems from last season (replacing Suarez is going to be tough) though they are adding depth which I believe will help you with the added games.

The Spurs example is a valid one because it is easy for a slightly lower level club (in terms of current prestige) to get carried away by suddenly having the funds to get in many players so Liverpool need to be incredibly careful not to let that kind of money vanish.

[/quote']

Suarez departure isn't a step back' date=' he helped Liverpool reach were they are, but others will carry on the work. There is no guarantee that he could have another season like the past one, especially with the ban issue.[/quote']

;2952654']Simply not true. With the players coming in that fit the philosophy' date=' we are in a better position. We had a thin, weak squad last year lets not forget.

Heard it all before when Torres went.... And his replacement didnt do to bad.[/quote']

Couple points:-

1. Liverpool are poorer without Suarez in the team

How can anyone say this when we are yet to play with the team set to take us through the season? We aren't better' date=' we aren't poorer, but we are different. Let’s see how that manifests itself. We are already better armed (have to be given we have only brought players in at this stage*) as a squad than last season, whether we have an as good, poorer or better starting 11 is to be seen.

*Suarez couldn't play until November for us regardless so we were always going to be without him for a third of the season. Seem to remember that didn't go too bad for us last season....

[b']2. Suarez cannot be replaced[/b]

I am deadly serious when I say that Liverpool have an opportunity to become better without Suarez than they could ever have been with him.

3. Liverpool cannot repeat last season’s success.

Yes they can.

On paper you are far inferior. You haven't brought in anyone who on paper or realisitically can replace him or his contribution last season.

It didn't go too badly for you because you had a fully fit raring to go player available who is world class. Now you have a pile of money. Time will tell but Liverpool without Suarez are weaker and that will be reflected by their league position and points tally (and goals tally) next season.

Liverpool are a good team but with Suarez they were great. Without him you have some very good players but not a single one is world class and all the best teams have splatterings of world class talent in order to be the best you need to keep hold of the best.

All the top teams have one outstanding player that elevates them from average to great (within their own league). Barcelona - Messi' date=' Real Madrid - Ronaldo, PSG - Ibra, Bayern Munich - Ribery/Robben etc

Liverpool will not get 2nd next season thus will be regressing in the league. Unless your sort your back 4 out you'll feel the loss of Suarez heavily. You're not the best team.[/quote']

So I'll accept those apologies anytime guys ;)

I wasn't trolling back then it was a completely objective analysis of your chances of success but many of you were too blinded by your love of the club to admit what was staring you in the face. Liverpool without Suarez crippled themselves, with Suarez they were a threat to anyone!

Admittedly you had me worried early on in the season but tonight IMO has just shown exactly what you're lacking. Star quality to win you games and inspire you. Suarez gave you that.

I think Rodgers is a good manager but these players are not good enough for Liverpool. As much as there is a rivalry there is also huge respect on my part for your club and its footballing history and I fear that is being eroded by players who aren't giving their all.

This summer will be crucial for Liverpool but IMO it's too late, I think it will be many a long year before Liverpool gain a CL place through top 4 as Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City will always strengthen with quality from here on in, and I can't say the same for Liverpool.

I know it's dramatic but I can't see Liverpool anywhere near a PL title in the next 5-10 years.

This season Lambert has as many league goals for Liverpool as Sturridge and Balotelli combined :P

The pair have also accumulated more minutes individually than Lambert.

Sterling is your top scorer in the league with 7. That is pathetic for a team aspiring for greatness

This season Lambert has as many league goals for Liverpool as Sturridge and Balotelli combined :P

The pair have also accumulated more minutes individually than Lambert.

Sterling is your top scorer in the league with 7. That is pathetic for a team aspiring for greatness

As poor as we've been, your statistics are just plain wrong. :confused:

Daniel Sturridge has four Premier League goals, Mario Balotelli has one. So unless my maths skills have gone really downhill in recent times, it is more than the two goals Rickie Lambert has scored? :rolleyes:

And yes, it is pathetic that our top goalscorer has four goals this season. It's been shambolic.

Give me time, I will have to go back to start of season and dig up posts about how Liverpool will finish ahead of United, and how Liverpool will be in the CL next season again.

Terrible from you poor lot, simply terrible. Wrong players bought at start of season, that become clear when you lot hit the third or fourth week into the season. I said start of season, Baloteli is a muppet, he won't do anything good for you lot, I was pointed at and told I know nothing.

Liverpool have been blow average his whole season. THere was a time, a few weeks back where you lot managed to string a few wins in a row, not sure exactly how much it was, and all of a sudden it was Liverpool this Liverpool that.

Well, now it's Liverpool out of CL out of top 4 and trophie -less. I think I prefer this Liverpool. Happy days ahead for you lot. :)

Be lucky if you hold on to Sterling next season also, along with him and couthino, it's all Liverpool have. Oh yeah, and a constantly injured Sturridge

The arrogance of a select few United fans is unbelievable. How petulant to dig up old messages just to say "I told you so" this is the reason why I despise everything about many Man United fans. I so hope they fall flat on there arses next season as I for one will be laughing my back off.

As poor as we've been' date=' your statistics are just plain wrong. :confused:

Daniel Sturridge has four Premier League goals, Mario Balotelli has one. So unless my maths skills have gone really downhill in recent times, it is more than the two goals Rickie Lambert has scored? :rolleyes:

And yes, it is pathetic that our top goalscorer has four goals this season. It's been shambolic.[/quote']

Ahh my bad sorry. I don't know how I saw one :o

Have to be honest I really don't consider him underachiever or anything close. Last year lets be honest he massively overachieved. This season he could come 5th and get to 2 semis. Yes on paper it's a poor season on the other hand it's not to far off being a very good one, fine margins. I have little doubt Liverpool would of achieved at least 1 of the 3 had he had a proper goalscorer at his disposal. Personally think he's done more than enough to warrant another season. If same mistakes are repeated in summer then people have a case but with our transfer policy were not even sure he's signing half of these players. Whole system needs scrapping and allow BR to sign who he wants. Then he can live or die by his signings and how they perform.

How Origi settles in at Liverpool and PL could be important in Pool's coming season' date=' seeing as they're lacking a consistent goalscorer.[/quote']

Far too much expectancy on Origi if you're thinking he can come in and be a top scorer for Liverpool.

Not expecting him to. But unless Pool can find a striker who can score ( unlike Borini, Balo, Lambert), Origi will have to do something.

Far too much expectancy on Origi if you're thinking he can come in and be a top scorer for Liverpool.

What's everyone's thoughts on Rodgers? Could he be pushed? With the investment from last summer' date=' you would have to say you're arguably the biggest underachiever of the season.[/quote']

As I've said, he's proved absolutely nothing to get the kind of protection he gets, the football is regressing and the squad is bursting with more dead wood than I've seen in any previous reign.

People want to give him one more season, but I wouldn't trust him with a tenner let alone another 100 million.

The arrogance of a select few United fans is unbelievable. How petulant to dig up old messages just to say "I told you so" this is the reason why I despise everything about many Man United fans. I so hope they fall flat on there arses next season as I for one will be laughing my back off.

I'd've hoped you'd be able to detect the silly tone of my post...

It was arrogant of Liverpool fans to not seriously consider the implications of losing Suarez and assume they would be better without him.

Its more like banter rather then being arrogance.

Aparantly everyone is allowe to dish it out on the United thread but not on here... ;)

I'd've hoped you'd be able to detect the silly tone of my post...

It was arrogant of Liverpool fans to not seriously consider the implications of losing Suarez and assume they would be better without him.

Aparantly everyone is allowe to dish it out on the United thread but not on here... ;)

Where do any of the posts you have quoted (other than JMH perhaps) state Liverpool will be better without Suarez? Perhaps they vaguely allude to the fact they can achieve what they did last season in terms of a title challenge but none in my opinion state they will be better.

They have brought in players that have either underachieved or not fulfilled there full potential. In Lamberts case he has not produced due to lack of game time or not playing to his strengths' date=' these aren't the players faults this is down to the manager not trying different things to play to a players strengths when other formations, ideas are not working. You should be able to relate to this after your clubs poor start to the season.

Sometimes clubs go through this period of transition, have a season where they do not achieve what they did the previous season, you should understand this more than anyone.

[/font']

Give me time' date=' I will have to go back to start of season and dig up posts about how Liverpool will finish ahead of United, and how Liverpool will be in the CL next season again.

Terrible from you poor lot, simply terrible. Wrong players bought at start of season, that become clear when you lot hit the third or fourth week into the season. I said start of season, Baloteli is a muppet, he won't do anything good for you lot, I was pointed at and told I know nothing.

Liverpool have been blow average his whole season. THere was a time, a few weeks back where you lot managed to string a few wins in a row, not sure exactly how much it was, and all of a sudden it was Liverpool this Liverpool that.

Well, now it's Liverpool out of CL out of top 4 and trophie -less. I think I prefer this Liverpool. Happy days ahead for you lot. :)

Be lucky if you hold on to Sterling next season also, along with him and couthino, it's all Liverpool have. Oh yeah, and a constantly injured Sturridge[/i']

Liverpool has been poor and I'm gonna continue to say Liverpool did a Spurs with the Suarez money

Liverpool were a joke in Europe, resting £100mil talent on the bench in games

I will wonder how Remy failed medical or how you didn't get in Bony but Liverpool got desperate and got Balotelli - That's Bite Liverpool on the ....

Didn't Rodgers or Liverpool knew Balotelli was bad with his time at City and rumour has it Liverpool want Falcao - Has Liverpool got eyes

Sterling getting too big for his boots and believing he the star

Liverpool has to fight for Europa with Southampton and Spurs

Liverpool - Qpr, Chelsea, Palace, Stoke

Spurs - City, Stoke, Hull, Everton

Southampton - Sunderland, Leicester, Villa, City

What's everyone's thoughts on Rodgers? Could he be pushed? With the investment from last summer' date=' you would have to say you're arguably the biggest underachiever of the season.[/quote']

He did say if you spend 100mill you should be challenging for the title..

Seriously though,Liverpool overachieved last season big-style,even if they had Suarez this season I believe it would have been a challenge to make top 4.

+1

Just the way that some of them are mate....

Liverpool were not going to be as good without Suarez the third best player in the world.....what a revelation!!

No point in saying should have held on to Suarez, that ship has passed and it don't matter what club you are if Real Madrid/Barcelona come knocking they inevitably get there man.

What nobody could legislate for is that we have basically not had our top striker all season, you cant plan that kind of bad luck and TBH I said before the season starts 5th and 5th is roughly where we should be right now.

If we had a fit Sturridge all season I think we could well have got top four, the defence is massively improved we just lack a cutting edge and have no striker of any note for the whole season worth his salt.

Losing 50-60 goals is the most difficult thing to replace and lets be honest there was nobody available last summer that we could have got, afforded and dealt with the huge wages it just aint the way FSG operate.

Given this and the influx of new players I think it was a decent effort to get in the mix for a while even if things have gone Pete Tong since that point.

More than happy to give Brendan another summer and season, if the issues are not addressed in the summer and the same problems persist Nov/Dec then a change may need to be looked at.

People are really judging Brendan based on the mass overachievement of last year, this season was never going to match it, with the squad we have and basically playing the whole season without a striker its about what you might expect.

Can people stop going on about Brendan and Balotelli, Brendan NEVER wanted him and was a decision taken by the committee, that's not to excuse Brendan as he has made errors in purchasing which were HIS call such as Lovren in the summer (although to a man on this thread me included everybody was saying what a good signing he will be, it just aint worked).

Liverpool has been poor and I'm gonna continue to say Liverpool did a Spurs with the Suarez money

Liverpool were a joke in Europe' date=' resting £100mil talent on the bench in games

I will wonder how Remy failed medical or how you didn't get in Bony but Liverpool got desperate and got Balotelli - That's Bite Liverpool on the ....

Didn't Rodgers or Liverpool knew Balotelli was bad with his time at City and rumour has it Liverpool want Falcao - Has Liverpool got eyes

Sterling getting too big for his boots and believing he the star

Liverpool has to fight for Europa with Southampton and Spurs

Liverpool - Qpr, Chelsea, Palace, Stoke

Spurs - City, Stoke, Hull, Everton

Southampton - Sunderland, Leicester, Villa, City[/quote']

Hard to argue with this.. The truth is,Liverpool are not the big club they used to be.Big players don't especially look at Liverpool when choosing a club,they rarely qualify for the champions league these days and that only requires finishing 4th.Now you have big players who want to leave Liverpool,but even worse,players that are not even world class mess around with possibly leaving.Put it this way,you won't see a Pogba or Reus even linked with Liverpool.

Hard to argue with this.. The truth is' date='Liverpool are not the big club they used to be.Big players don't especially look at Liverpool when choosing a club,they rarely qualify for the champions league these days and that only requires finishing 4th.Now you have big players who want to leave Liverpool,but even worse,players that are not even world class mess around with possibly leaving.Put it this way,you won't see a Pogba or Reus even linked with Liverpool.[/quote']

Liverpool is a massive club always will be.

Everyone makes out we are suddenly a selling club no we aint the only big players we have ever lost against our wanting to(Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez, Mcmanaman) is when Real Madrid and Barcelona have come calling same as any club....