ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Liverpool is a massive club always will be.

Everyone makes out we are suddenly a selling club no we aint the only big players we have ever lost against our wanting to(Mascherano' date=' Alonso, Suarez, Mcmanaman) is when Real Madrid and Barcelona have come calling same as any club....[/quote']

true,but many of my points still stand.I often say that to some Liverpool supporters and they come back with the history etc.But some of them were barely born the last time Liverpool won the title.I would call them a sleeping giant to be honest.

Everyone makes out we are suddenly a selling club no we aint the only big players we have ever lost against our wanting to(Mascherano' date=' Alonso, Suarez, Mcmanaman) is when Real Madrid and Barcelona have come calling same as any club....[/quote']

Liverpool is a selling club - Liverpool doesn't have the money power, trophies etc like others have

It's all well and good letting us know how bad we are, but seriously, can you guys come up with anything better than Suarez, Rodgers and Balotelli.

This thread is like song on replay. Every couple of weeks it's just flooded with: Oh I told you so, Balotelli is rubbish, Rodgers overachieved, blah blah blah. We read it the first time.

Great, you were right at the start of the season and we were wrong. But were you right because you have a genuine understanding of football or because you've got nothing better to say. It's stupid to try and rub it in our faces that we defended our signings. Of course we're going to do that. They play for our club.

Anyone could've easily gone onto the United thread at the start of the season and said that Falcao is going to be rubbish. Doesn't make you a bloody football guru for crying out loud. There's always going to be a bias when supporters of a club are weighing up the prospects of a new season.

Liverpool is a selling club - Liverpool doesn't have the money power' date=' trophies etc like others have[/quote']

Are you a bit short of Brain Matter??

Not having money don't make you a selling club, a selling club is somebody who continually sells there best players....we might not be able to buy the best players, however that don't make you a selling club you appear to be a bit confused as to the difference.

The only top players we have ever wanted to keep and have lost them is because Real Madrid or Barcelona have come calling and nobody can resist them the pull is to great same as Ronaldo when he left United...

Name me one TOP player we have had that we have sold against our will that is not to Barcelona or Real Madrid???

Il give you a clue......none......

Are you a bit short of Brain Matter??

Not having money don't make you a selling club' date=' a selling club is somebody who continually sells there best players....we might not be able to buy the best players, however that don't make you a selling club you appear to be a bit confused as to the difference.

The only top players we have ever wanted to keep and have lost them is because Real Madrid or Barcelona have come calling and nobody can resist them the pull is to great same as Ronaldo when he left United...

Name me one TOP player we have had that we have sold against our will that is not to Barcelona or Real Madrid???

Il give you a clue......none......[/quote']

Sean Dundee and Titi Camara

Struggling to think of top players you have had' date=' let alone sold :P[/quote']

too true

Reina, who could of still been useful - best answer I can give you lol

Downing or Adam could of been useful for Liverpool

ray 1981, your wrong, Selling club is a club that builds up players or if they don't think they can improve then sell them on and they don't always has to be the best player

These United fans clogging up the thread - spend some time on your own thread for crying out loud.

Interestingly Liverpool, since Rodgers took over in June 2012 we've scored 20 more goals and have lost only 1 premiership game more than United.

However, over that same period United have a net spend of £284.2m MORE than Liverpool.

So yeah, well done.

It's all well and good letting us know how bad we are' date=' but seriously, can you guys come up with anything better than Suarez, Rodgers and Balotelli.

This thread is like song on replay. Every couple of weeks it's just flooded with: Oh I told you so, Balotelli is rubbish, Rodgers overachieved, blah blah blah. We read it the first time.

Great, you were right at the start of the season and we were wrong. But were you right because you have a genuine understanding of football or because you've got nothing better to say. It's stupid to try and rub it in our faces that we defended our signings. Of course we're going to do that. They play for our club.

Anyone could've easily gone onto the United thread at the start of the season and said that Falcao is going to be rubbish. Doesn't make you a bloody football guru for crying out loud. There's always going to be a bias when supporters of a club are weighing up the prospects of a new season.[/quote']

Nope. Those are the only topics everyone who isn't a Liverpool fan even finds remotely interesting.

Suarez, Rodgers, Balotelli, greedy Sterling, lack of titles

*sarcasm*

Interestingly Liverpool' date=' since Rodgers took over in June 2012 we've scored 20 more goals and have lost only 1 premiership game more than United.

[/quote']

Well, that's that then:(

Congrats on only losing 1 more game than us over the last 3 years. Moral victory right there I say. Gutting!

Struggling to think of top players you have had' date=' let alone sold :P[/quote']

Depends on your definition of Top Player it's all relative to the club who your "top players" are....

Sean Dundee and Titi Camara

Titi is a Cult Legend won't hear a word said against him' date=' mad as a hatter.

His tweet after Suarez left was one of the best self mocking tweets I have ever read..:P

too true

Reina, who could of still been useful - best answer I can give you lol

Downing or Adam could of been useful for Liverpool

ray 1981, your wrong, Selling club is a club that builds up players or if they don't think they can improve then sell them on and they don't always has to be the best player

Reina we didn't want neither did we want to keep Downing or Adam they would hardly qualify as top players anyway, as for the selling club thing...

No it's clear you don't understand the difference, I couldn't explain it any simpler than I already have.

You could argue old matey Fernando was a top player at the time.

The Club had been actively trying to shift Torres since the summer that is well documented' date=' he ain't a player we WANTED to keep. The players we have lost who were considered top players that we lost when we wanted to keep them is to Barcelona and Real Madrid in the shape of Suarez, Alonso, Mcmanaman, Owen, Mascherano.

As it turns out the club were right on Torres he was a busted flush and we maximised a massive fee for a player who was not the same after his injuries Fortunatley we found somebody stupid enough to gives us 50M for him probably the best bit of transfer Business bar Suarez (who was paid for by the Torres money) the club has done in recent years. (Lets face it we have done plenty of pish poor ones)

Nope. Those are the only topics everyone who isn't a Liverpool fan even finds remotely interesting.

Suarez, Rodgers, Balotelli, greedy Sterling, lack of titles

*sarcasm*

Shouldn't you be on the Tottenham thread....

Oh no they don't win often enough....

*sarcasm*

These United fans clogging up the thread - spend some time on your own thread for crying out loud.

Interestingly Liverpool' date=' since Rodgers took over in June 2012 we've scored 20 more goals and have lost only 1 premiership game more than United.

However, over that same period United have a net spend of £284.2m MORE than Liverpool.

So yeah, well done.[/quote']

So what that stat shows me is even with United having their worst season in my life time they have still lost less games in that period?

This...

One more thing worth considering is that when Tony's old posts are quoted' date=' everyone finds it funny.[/quote']

The difference is this is the first time I've done this on a Liverpool thread and look at the reaction.

This happens every day on the United thread to Tony.

Besides that though I was merely pointing out that yeah I was right and that the fans who were calling me stupid earlier in the season and who were vehemently defending Rodgers and Liverpool might want to look at where the club has headed since then.

It's a fair point to make and a very fair observation.

Where do any of the posts you have quoted (other than JMH perhaps) state Liverpool will be better without Suarez? Perhaps they vaguely allude to the fact they can achieve what they did last season in terms of a title challenge but none in my opinion state they will be better.

They have brought in players that have either underachieved or not fulfilled there full potential. In Lamberts case he has not produced due to lack of game time or not playing to his strengths' date=' these aren't the players faults this is down to the manager not trying different things to play to a players strengths when other formations, ideas are not working. You should be able to relate to this after your clubs poor start to the season.

Sometimes clubs go through this period of transition, have a season where they do not achieve what they did the previous season, you should understand this more than anyone.

[/font']

If you can be bothered to go back to the conversation in full you will quite clearly see most Liverpool fans backing a Suarez-less Liverpool to be a better team without him.

It's there for all to see :)

I was not arguing where the fault lies, merely that there is now no longer any argument to suggest that the loss of Suarez was in anyway good for the performance of Liverpool this season. Many argued the added depth would be better for the club but we can see that a clear lack in striking options when Sturridge is not fit has been costly.

As this is the Liverpool thread I will refrain from commenting too much on United, but I have never once claimed that United would be a better side without their star player in fact I have said many times I would hate to see De Gea leave even if we recruited someone like Bale.

The difference here is that United, while in transition, have made some good signings and shown significant progress. They are all but assured of top 4 again and will no doubt strengthen in the Summer with players of top quality.

Could anyone here honestly say that they feel confident of the same thing at Liverpool, by that I mean next season Liverpool having top quality players all over the pitch and be potential title contenders?

Essentially Matt I fail to see how you have taken such offence from me pointing out to some fans that their earlier beliefs have been proven to be unfounded, especially when this happens all the time on other threads and nobody bats an eyelid.

I would understand if you were similarly outraged by these threads but the fact is I have done nothing wrong. I merely wished to discuss a subject that Liverpool fans found very contentious at the start of the season.

Do I feel a little bit smug? Yes, but only because of the reaction I got when I said how much people underestimate the loss of Suarez.

I'm obviously not a Liverpool fan but why should I have any less an involvement in a discussion about their pre season expectations and present day reality, just because you post on a thread it doesn't mean everyone has to agree, unless of course you are proven wrong, which is the case here.

This season has proven Suarez was a bigger loss than many expected.

+1

Just the way that some of them are mate....

Liverpool were not going to be as good without Suarez the third best player in the world.....what a revelation!!

No point in saying should have held on to Suarez' date=' that ship has passed and it don't matter what club you are if Real Madrid/Barcelona come knocking they inevitably get there man.

What nobody could legislate for is that we have basically not had our top striker all season, you cant plan that kind of bad luck and TBH I said before the season starts 5th and 5th is roughly where we should be right now.

If we had a fit Sturridge all season I think we could well have got top four, the defence is massively improved we just lack a cutting edge and have no striker of any note for the whole season worth his salt.

Losing 50-60 goals is the most difficult thing to replace and lets be honest there was nobody available last summer that we could have got, afforded and dealt with the huge wages it just aint the way FSG operate.

Given this and the influx of new players I think it was a decent effort to get in the mix for a while even if things have gone Pete Tong since that point.

More than happy to give Brendan another summer and season, if the issues are not addressed in the summer and the same problems persist Nov/Dec then a change may need to be looked at.

People are really judging Brendan based on the mass overachievement of last year, this season was never going to match it, with the squad we have and basically playing the whole season without a striker its about what you might expect.

Can people stop going on about Brendan and Balotelli, Brendan NEVER wanted him and was a decision taken by the committee, that's not to excuse Brendan as he has made errors in purchasing which were HIS call such as Lovren in the summer (although to a man on this thread me included everybody was saying what a good signing he will be, it just aint worked).[/quote']

It's all fans Ray in fact on the forum generally it is not United fans criticising other fans.

Unfortunately as my post shows for some people the news Liverpool aren't as good without arguably the 3rd best player must come as a bit of a shock, if anything Ray you're mocking of the point just emphasises how deluded some of the fans on this thread were in July.

I completely agree selling him was inevitable, I completely feel Liverpool got a really fair fee for Suarez and I completely agree that Liverpool could not have done anything to keep him.

However I disagree with your comment that you couldn't legislate for losing your top striker (Sturridge) everyone knew he was injury prone, I even said so back then that it puts too much pressure on him for the season and that you needed someone to help him out, to which people replied that Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson could be 20 goal a season players (I laughed too).

Let me be fair to you Ray in saying that out of all the Liverpool fans here my post was aimed least at you because actually you were one of the very few to agree with me that Suarez was a massive loss that wasn't making the side better so please understand in no way am I lumping you in with the rest of the fans on this thread. I bear you no ill will because back then you were objective with your responses and realised the truth rather than being blinkered and supporting for the sake of it. So fair play to you!

Your point about nobody being available for the fee and wages though kind of contradicts the idea of Liverpool as a massive club.

As far as I'm concerned Balotelli is a closed book, everyone knows he was a panic buy that Rodgers didn't want.

I'd argue that makes you a selling club.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich are the only clubs in European football that I would not consider selling clubs as they are able to sign pretty much whoever they want from whoever they want and never get held to ransom by a player wanting to leave them.

Manchester United, Liverpool etc are all in a tier below where they can put pressure on most clubs to sell player to them although Liverpool are behind United in the pecking order currently.

Liverpool are historically huge, currently quite big.

It's all well and good letting us know how bad we are' date=' but seriously, can you guys come up with anything better than Suarez, Rodgers and Balotelli.

Anyone could've easily gone onto the United thread at the start of the season and said that Falcao is going to be rubbish. Doesn't make you a bloody football guru for crying out loud. There's always going to be a bias when supporters of a club are weighing up the prospects of a new season.[/quote']

I didn't say Balotelli was rubbish, I didn't say Rodgers overachieved.

I was right because I had an objective understanding of Liverpool's situation and was in no way biased to either big up or belittle their chances.

I have huge respect for Liverpool but I won't pander to the needs of the clubs fans if I have an opinion.

There is nothing wrong with defending your club, but be a bit unbiased when doing so and accept that sometimes your club isn't better than everyone else just because it's your club.

I frequently am able to express how unlikely it is for United to do things, or agree with other fans how poor they have recruited etc when that is true or likely.

There will always be bias, but don't let it completely cloud your judgement.

I never let my support of United get in the way of hard evidence. I condemn when it needs condemning, I appreciate when the club is in a bad position and I also rejoice when it is doing well.

I'd suggest next time you blindly defend the club maybe think a bit about what is more realistic.

So yeah, well done.[/quote']

Nice comeback Ed...

Are you being deadly serious like you were about how you felt Liverpool would be better without Suarez ;)

So what your saying is that in the same period of time Manchester United have been able to run themselves as a successful business and spend more money on better quality players and despite an awful season under a clueless manager have still been able to outperform Liverpool in terms of points collected.

And Liverpool have been forced to spend a far smaller amount because money is tight at the club so they can't sign the expensive good players only sell them?

Thanks for pointing out United are better than Liverpool although I don't think your opinion will be appreciated on the Liverpool thread because it doesn't say blindly how great the club is, it's bordering on criticism which simply isn't allowed especially from fans of other clubs, HOW DARE THEY HAVE AN OPINION THAT IS BASED UPON FACT AND REALISTIC EXPECTATION!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9827209/liverpool-last-won-the-title-25-years-ago-today-but-what-has-happened-since8230

Great article from Sky Sports about Liverpool in the past 25 years.

'Liverpool have made an incredible 190 purchases at a cost of £770m in an attempt to get their hands back on the league title, with many of those failing to make the grade at Anfield, part of the reason for the club’s continued league drought.'

'In the 300 months since the Reds last won the title…

Ryan Giggs made his United debut, played over 1000 games and won 34 trophies

United goalkeeper David De Gea has been born and won the league himself'

Don't you love facts ;)

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9827209/liverpool-last-won-the-title-25-years-ago-today-but-what-has-happened-since8230

Great article from Sky Sports about Liverpool in the past 25 years.

'Liverpool have made an incredible 190 purchases at a cost of £770m in an attempt to get their hands back on the league title' date=' with many of those failing to make the grade at Anfield, part of the reason for the club’s continued league drought.'

'In the 300 months since the Reds last won the title…

Ryan Giggs made his United debut, played over 1000 games and won 34 trophies

United goalkeeper David De Gea has been born and won the league himself'

Don't you love facts ;)[/quote']

Could say exactly the same of united in the past,didn't your team wait 25 years before their first premiership title,and suffer a relegation to boot?

Boring boring boring.

Could say exactly the same of united in the past' date='didn't your team wait 25 years before their first premiership title,and suffer a relegation to boot?

Boring boring boring.[/quote']

Apparently its "banter" tho.

Certainly not United fans lording it up, def not that. Its conincidence they are fans of the same club - other than Adam who who's an Everton fan, so is well placed to lay in to us after such a stella season.

Shouldn't a Mod be promoting dialogue between fans on multiple club threads?

Seems a daft thing to say.

Cant see where i have done anything to suggest otherwise my man - just encouraging these united fans to be as outspoken on their own club thread as they are on this thread - always seems odd that Liverpool - who arent a big club and are in a long term decline now apparently seem to take up so much of United fans time and attention is all.

daft is as daft does i guess.

Cant see where i have done anything to suggest otherwise my man - just encouraging these united fans to be as outspoken on their own club thread as they are on this thread - always seems odd that Liverpool - who arent a big club and are in a long term decline now apparently seem to take up so much of United fans time and attention is all.

daft is as daft does i guess.

The United thread is quite active, what you are suggesting is United fans have no right to discuss Liverpool FC topics on the Liverpool thread. Which you have no right to, the thread does not belong to any specific set of fans.

Yes, you does.