ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

ok it seems like its going to be the same old story again for liverpool in the transfer market with their top targets once again going to their rivals which in my opinion now just looks pathetic on liverpools behalf. They cant attract the very top talent and they wont for a long time. What i dont understand is when they qualified for the UCL they should of signed star names which they didnt and now they want quality players but like depay they will go to a side who have ambition. Liverpools ambition is just ambition and not a reality which is sad because if they did build on last season you wouldnt see players like depay signing for united ahead of liverpool.

Adam Lallana was fantastic last season. He was by far Southampton's best player' date=' and he was in the team of the season, and is a proven player. We did overspend for Lallana, but he is a good player in every right.

Of course the owners know nothing about football, they own a bloody baseball team. But look at the success he's had at the Red Sox in the dozen years he's owned the team. They've won three World Series (after suffering a 85 year drought) and been one of the best teams in the MLB. The owners know what they're doing.

And, who else would we have been able to buy anyway? And would you honestly rather have Hicks and Gillett in charge rather than Henry?[/quote']

I wouldn't worry about it you never hear from Amar for months then when something goes wrong or we allegedly miss out on a player it is the same routine Everytime about FSG etc....

Quite frankly I doubt if even 5% of the support would want to see FSG go. With the introduction of FFP it's no good having a rich oil magnate come in if you can only spend what you generate there millions make not a blind bit of difference.

Increasing revenues is the keys and they have been doing that, once the stadium is complete that's another key and I'm sure our commercial deals will get better and better I have lost count of the amount of commercial partners we have now.

ok it seems like its going to be the same old story again for liverpool in the transfer market with their top targets once again going to their rivals which in my opinion now just looks pathetic on liverpools behalf. They cant attract the very top talent and they wont for a long time. What i dont understand is when they qualified for the UCL they should of signed star names which they didnt and now they want quality players but like depay they will go to a side who have ambition. Liverpools ambition is just ambition and not a reality which is sad because if they did build on last season you wouldnt see players like depay signing for united ahead of liverpool.

Im lost since when has this Depay kid become a top player let alone a top target

People need to get a grip

Very interesting insight from Marcel Van Der Kraan today on Depay. In a nutshell he said the move is a gamble for Man Utd on the very high (and unjustified) fee.

Plus. he basically had to stop himself short in calling Depay the 'Dutch Balotelli' :o

“Up until about 48 hours ago he wasn’t going to go there [Manchester United]' date='” Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan told Hawksbee and Jacobs. “There was a bigger chance he would go to PSG or Liverpool.

“We understand Liverpool were real serious contenders, because United weren’t involved. He had a strong favour for the Premier League and he was flattered by the interest from Liverpool. Bolo Zenden and Dirk Kuyt told him he would get playing time there and it would be a great set-up for him to develop.

[b']“But what happened in the last 48 hours was Man United became aware of the fact PSG were prepared to go a long, long way financially [to sign him]. The money PSG are offering to players is, I understand, flabbergasting.[/b]

“But Man United attracts players much more than PSG, even though they’ve had a difficult one and a half years. PSG can lure them only with money.

“Depay had not heard that much from United. They wanted to be kept in the loop, but that was it, but then came the moment when he could be signing for someone else and then ‘bang’, there was a real forceful hand at Old Trafford and from that moment on they wanted to do it. And they did it

listen to his interview here

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-stole-memphis-depay-under-noses-liverpool-and-paris-saint-germain

It's shocking how some people become so biased. Mate wouldn't you be.on the.moon if Liverpool had signed Depay? Don't lie.

Come on learn to appreciate things and it's nice to see most Pool fans doing that.

Lol one more thing. In your post you're mentioning that Depay wasn't a target and the interview you posted below that you found really interesting states that you were really interested in him. Talk about Filtration.

It's shocking how some people become so biased. Mate wouldn't you be.on the.moon if Liverpool had signed Depay? Don't lie.

Come on learn to appreciate things and it's nice to see most Pool fans doing that.

What are we supposed to be throwing ourselves off bridges or something.....

Not bothered in the slightest, he might turn out to be brilliant, he might turn out to be pap....

I'm pretty sure you all said the same thing when Falcao signed for you....

Why would any Liverpool fan lose sleep over missing out on Depay he is a promising young player with everything to prove and we have got plenty of those sorts....

Just because he has a big fee and scored goals in what is a two bob league is no GUARENTEE of success.

Time will tell. I can't get upset about transfer business how can you get upset about somebody who has never been associated with your club, much better to focus on the players you have then getting to bothered about tabloid speculation etc

What are we supposed to be throwing ourselves off bridges or something.....

Not bothered in the slightest' date=' he might turn out to be brilliant, he might turn out to be pap....

[b']Same is the case with everyone I don't know what are you trying to prove with this [/b]

I'm pretty sure you all said the same thing when Falcao signed for you....

We didn't, his stats did. I am dead certain that hadn't it been for his injury, the lad would have been top.class.

Why would any Liverpool fan lose sleep over missing out on Depay he is a promising young player with everything to prove and we have got plenty of those sorts....

Just because he has a big fee and scored goals in what is a two bob league is no GUARENTEE of success.

Lol, Depay will be a starter for us but those sorts that you have, aren't playing for your side. Surely Liverpool isn't that good?None of them have proved themselves at the WC as well.

Time will tell. I can't get upset about transfer business how can you get upset about somebody who has never been associated with your club, much better to focus on the players you have then getting to bothered about tabloid speculation etc

You do realise that the transfer has been confirmed?

You do realise that the transfer has been confirmed?

Na thanks for telling us....:rolleyes:

My last point was general if we got depressed or started thinking every player that was linked with us that we don't get we would have a list as long as your arm.

My point is your initial point is irrelevant I don't care that United have signed Depay it makes no difference to me in the slightest, where as you coming on here and crowing about a signing is a total irrelevence this ain't Messi, it is just a kid with promise. When we signed Markovic he had just as good a reputation there is no GUARENTEE on anything.

I don't think Depay has actually proved to much at all I didn't think he was that good at the World Cup bar one game and whilst I don't claim to watch the Eridevisie (why would you the League is pap) I can't get disappointed about missing out on a player with it all to prove.

as for Falcao if I could be bothered go back through this thread and your thread and you will find loads of quotes from United fans gloating about his signing like we should be massively jealous....where as like many of us pointed out investing 20m in a player coming back from a massive injury was at best optimistic...

Sorry if this shatters your warped view that you actually know what bothers me or not.....Depay To Man United......I'm non fussed.

no mate i wouldnt be over the moon' date=' id be concerned we still chucking money away on unproven players and not learning our lesson... 22.5M on a import from Eredivise - historically hasnt been many players coming to Prem and succeeding from Holland.

In fact id be pretty annoyed as fancy wingers arent high on our list IMO - already have Lallana, Markovic, Sterling & Ibe who can fill the Left side - id like a Centre Back, a Right Back, a reserve GK, a couple of Strikers, a DM and a box to box CM.

Lol one more thing. In your post you're mentioning that Depay wasn't a target and the interview you posted below that you found really interesting states that you were really interested in him. Talk about Filtration.

im sorry wut.. if you read clearly i state..

"Im lost since when has this Depay kid become a top player let alone a top target"

He has never in my knowledge been our top summer target yet the backlash on here from some makes out he has been. I know we were interested in him, he blooming well flew him over for talks!

Congrats on buying him though if he works out for you, just smacks of desperation you went and spent so much on him after a whisper PSG were going to throw cash at him.

;3092730']no mate i wouldnt be over the moon' date=' id be concerned we still chucking money away on unproven players and not learning our lesson... 22.5M on a import from Eredivise - historically hasnt been many players coming to Prem and succeeding from Holland. If fact id be pretty annoyed as fancy wingers arent high on our list IMO, id like a Centre Back, a Right Back, a reserve GK, a couple of Strikers, a DM and a box to box CM.

Congrats on buying him though if he works out for you, just smacks of desperation you went and spent so much on him after a whisper PSG were going to throw cash at him.[/quote']

As Danc says... Suarez.

I agree though that while Depay was definitely a Liverpool target he's not what you need right now. You have more pressing concerns in the striker department IMO before anyone laughs at Liverpool let's see who they fail to sign in that area first! :P

All jokes aside £22-25m for a young talented winger, who has shown his ability on a larger stage (World Cup) too isn't bad business in my eyes. Of course hindsight makes fools of us all but IMO securing a year long target, in a position we are lacking, with the attributes we need for a market value fee isn't desperation at all. It looks like actually we've got a decent player for a fair fee.

Liverpool will sign players but who remains to be seen. I would wager though that you won't be securing talents like Depay for that kind of fee though.

I think this is important to point out. Before leaving Holland' date=' Jozy Altidore scored 30 odd goals in his last season[/quote']

Dont stop there... Finnbogason 53 in 2 seasons, Pelle 50 in 2 seasons , Bony 31.....

John Guidetti 20 goals in 21 games

Bas Dost 32 in 34 (taken him 3 years to settle in Germany)

Luuk De Jong hit 25

Afonso Alves 45 goals in 39 games

Point is goals in Erevidise mean squat. Its a highly attacking league, most sides play 4-3-3.

;3092735']Dont stop there... Finnbogason 53 in 2 seasons' date=' Pelle 50 in 2 seasons , Bony 31.....

John Guidetti 20 goals in 21 games

Bas Dost 32 in 34 (taken him 3 years to settle in Germany)

Luuk De Jong hit 25

Afonso Alves 45 goals in 39 games

Point is goals in Erevidise mean squat. Its a highly attacking league, most sides play 4-3-3.[/quote']

I wouldn't use Bony to suggest Dutch League strikers can't do well in the PL he was very good at Swansea and is behind Aguero at City (no shame in that).

Pelle also has done very well for his first season at Southampton.

Aside from that the argument here is flawed, players from all leagues flop when coming into the PL in fact at any one time typically each year there are only around 20 players in the league who perform really well on a consistent basis.

I think that the focus should be more on what attributes make a successful PL footballer which is a completely different topic however your historically and statistically successful PL wingers tend to be quick, fairly strong or well balanced, with the ability to score regularly. Depay ticks those boxes at a young age so surely is worth a punt?

I wouldn't use Bony to suggest Dutch League strikers can't do well in the PL he was very good at Swansea and is behind Aguero at City (no shame in that).

Aside from that the argument here is flawed' date=' players from all leagues flop when coming into the PL in fact at any one time typically each year there are only around 20 players in the league who perform really well on a consistent basis.

I think that the focus should be more on what attributes make a successful PL footballer which is a completely different topic however your historically and statistically successful PL wingers tend to be quick, fairly strong or well balanced, with the ability to score regularly. Depay ticks those boxes at a young age so surely is worth a punt?[/quote']

Im not making an arguement here, im pointing out exactly what your saying, goals in Erevidise mean nothing in gauging how much an impact a forward will have on the Prem, im more highlighting why/how Depay isnt a loss for us, he aint what we need right now we have players already capable in his position.

22.5M isnt what id call a punt, but you have the cash to throw away i guess.

Adam Lallana was fantastic last season. He was by far Southampton's best player' date=' and he was in the team of the season, and is a proven player. We did overspend for Lallana, but he is a good player in every right.

Of course the owners know nothing about football, they own a bloody baseball team. But look at the success he's had at the Red Sox in the dozen years he's owned the team. They've won three World Series (after suffering a 85 year drought) and been one of the best teams in the MLB. The owners know what they're doing.

And, who else would we have been able to buy anyway? And would you honestly rather have Hicks and Gillett in charge rather than Henry?[/quote']

Southampton isn't Liverpool by any standard. Didn't Allen shine for Swansea? Didn't Downing shine for Aston Villa ? Didn't Adam shine for Blackpool ? Didn't Carrol shine for Newcastle ?

My concern regarding the owners is that the owners have no incline of an idea of what it takes to succeed in this sport. Their statistic driven money ball approach has not succeed at all despite it being successful in baseball. Both sports are not comparable in regards to player recruitment and contracts.

Yes our owners have improved us commercially but the club is still a mess in regards to player recruitment.

First they insisted on a DOF Damien Commoli working with Kenny. That backfired stupendously and ever since we have used the infamous transfer committee who have brought us only Coutinho Sturridge for over a £100 million spent on transfers.

Further more there are some deluded Liverpool fans who blame Rodgers when in reality he only represents 1 vote out of a possible 5-6 in the transfer committee. I could understand if members of the transfer committee are coaches but how could you possibly a member of the committee if you have never coached before ? The fact that Ian Ayre a commercial executive is voting on transfers illustrates the incompetency of the hierarchy of the club.

Either you hand Rodgers control of transfers or you sack him and get someone more experience such as Klopp.

Chelsea and Manchester United's model is spot on. Manager identifies target and club works towards signing them. Fsg work in accordance to the model that the club finds the players and the manager works with them.

Under FSG the only marquee signing we have signed is Luis Suarez. Until something changes at the top our transfers success rate is ultimately a scratch card to winning the jackpot.

Southampton isn't Liverpool by any standard. Didn't Allen shine for Swansea? Didn't Downing shine for Aston Villa ? Didn't Adam shine for Blackpool ? Didn't Carrol shine for Newcastle ?

My concern regarding the owners is that the owners have no incline of an idea of what it takes to succeed in this sport. Their statistic driven money ball approach has not succeed at all despite it being successful in baseball. Both sports are not comparable in regards to player recruitment and contracts.

Yes our owners have improved us commercially but the club is still a mess in regards to player recruitment.

First they insisted on a DOF Damien Commoli working with Kenny. That backfired stupendously and ever since we have used the infamous transfer committee who have brought us only Coutinho Sturridge for over a £100 million spent on transfers.

Further more there are some deluded Liverpool fans who blame Rodgers when in reality he only represents 1 vote out of a possible 5-6 in the transfer committee. I could understand if members of the transfer committee are coaches but how could you possibly a member of the committee if you have never coached before ? The fact that Ian Ayre a commercial executive is voting on transfers illustrates the incompetency of the hierarchy of the club.

Either you hand Rodgers control of transfers or you sack him and get someone more experience such as Klopp.

Chelsea and Manchester United's model is spot on. Manager identifies target and club works towards signing them. Fsg work in accordance to the model that the club finds the players and the manager works with them.

Under FSG the only marquee signing we have signed is Luis Suarez. Until something changes at the top our transfers success rate is ultimately a scratch card to winning the jackpot.

Yes, all these players played well at their clubs, that's why they were bought. That's how transfers work. You buy players that are playing well at other clubs. And the players you mentioned were flops, but that's how transfers work, you win some, you lose some. Look at Henderson, he came in from Sunderland. That's a small club isn't it?

The thing is, you're exactly the same as the people that criticised these approaches when they were first used in the MLB and to an extent nowadays, the NBA and the NFL. I will be the first to say that statistics in football is not as easy to determine as the American sports, but it is important. It is still a useful indicator of the player's abilities, some of which can escape the eye test.

You do know that Comolli was the one in charge of bringing Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson in right? Once again, the point stands that everyone makes transfer mistakes. He had a fine CV beforehand, for Spurs, he signed Berbatov, Modric, and Bale.

The transfer committee has been poor but there is an idea that there is certain oversight to the work of the manager. Yes, I agree it's been poor and that it needs an overhaul, but you cannot blame all of the faults on the transfer committee. We had the choice of a DoF or a transfer committee and went with the latter. Is it the perfect pick? Probably not.

Thing is, Rodgers' choice of players has not provided me with huge optimism either. He has wanted players like Mkhitaryan, who has been utterly disappointing for Dortmund, and his own signings have not been exemplary either.

I cannot believe you're clamoring for FSG to leave. That is just absurd. They've been great owners, injected the team with a good amount of cash, finally got work on Anfield started, and are building a young team that oozes potential and it'll take a few years, but have some faith.

I wouldn't worry about it you never hear from Amar for months then when something goes wrong or we allegedly miss out on a player it is the same routine Everytime about FSG etc....

Quite frankly I doubt if even 5% of the support would want to see FSG go. With the introduction of FFP it's no good having a rich oil magnate come in if you can only spend what you generate there millions make not a blind bit of difference.

Increasing revenues is the keys and they have been doing that' date=' once the stadium is complete that's another key and I'm sure our commercial deals will get better and better I have lost count of the amount of commercial partners we have now.[/quote']

Just a bit shocked to see a Liverpool fan wanting FSG to go. As if a few years of Hicks and Gillett weren't bad enough. I am a believer in the process they're going through and have faith in them. They've had great success in Boston, and I can see many similarities between the Red Sox and Liverpool, despite the different sports.

;3092676']Im lost since when has this Depay kid become a top player let alone a top target

People need to get a grip

Very interesting insight from Marcel Van Der Kraan today on Depay. In a nutshell he said the move is a gamble for Man Utd on the very high (and unjustified) fee.

Plus. he basically had to stop himself short in calling Depay the 'Dutch Balotelli' :o

listen to his interview here

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-stole-memphis-depay-under-noses-liverpool-and-paris-saint-germain

I would not have been annoyed had we signed Memphis. 25m is a bit overpriced' date=' but he does seem like a good player. Almost definitely would not have turned out like Suarez, but I reckon he could be a top player.

Over the moon? No. Happy? Yes sure. I always get excited if the team is making signings that could stay with us for ten years and has the potential to be one of the world's bets players. None of us are being biased. He is unproven, and he absolutely may flop.

As Danc says... Suarez.

I agree though that while Depay was definitely a Liverpool target he's not what you need right now. You have more pressing concerns in the striker department IMO before anyone laughs at Liverpool let's see who they fail to sign in that area first! :P

All jokes aside £22-25m for a young talented winger' date=' who has shown his ability on a larger stage (World Cup) too isn't bad business in my eyes. Of course hindsight makes fools of us all but IMO securing a year long target, in a position we are lacking, with the attributes we need for a market value fee isn't desperation at all. It looks like actually we've got a decent player for a fair fee.

Liverpool will sign players but who remains to be seen. I would wager though that you won't be securing talents like Depay for that kind of fee though.[/quote']

Yeah as mentioned before, would be nice to see a striker come in, would not mind seeing Christian Benteke line up there and maybe Danny Ings on a free would not be bad. A couple of full-backs, a center back, a DM, and a GK. Honestly, I cannot see why we're not looking into Cech. Still a fantastic goalkeeper, and would immensely improve the side.

Aside from that the argument here is flawed' date=' players from all leagues flop when coming into the PL in fact at any one time typically each year there are only around 20 players in the league who perform really well on a consistent basis.

I think that the focus should be more on what attributes make a successful PL footballer which is a completely different topic however your historically and statistically successful PL wingers tend to be quick, fairly strong or well balanced, with the ability to score regularly. Depay ticks those boxes at a young age so surely is worth a punt?[/quote']

Absolutely worth a punt I agree, but for 25m, that is one expensive, expensive punt. And with FFP, it is hard to justify a punt for 25m. It would be necessary for Liverpool to be signing proven players for 25m. Or if youngsters were targeted, then perhaps two or three for that price.

I think it'll be a tough adjustment for the kid, he'll get hacked about a bit, and also, I don't really see where he'll fit in the United team? Who's being dropped here? Surely you have more pressing needs elsewhere?

Yes' date=' all these players played well at their clubs, that's why they were bought. That's how transfers work. You buy players that are playing well at other clubs. And the players you mentioned were flops, but that's how transfers work, you win some, you lose some. Look at Henderson, he came in from Sunderland. That's a small club isn't it?

The thing is, you're exactly the same as the people that criticised these approaches when they were first used in the MLB and to an extent nowadays, the NBA and the NFL. I will be the first to say that statistics in football is not as easy to determine as the American sports, but it is important. It is still a useful indicator of the player's abilities, some of which can escape the eye test.

You do know that Comolli was the one in charge of bringing Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson in right? Once again, the point stands that everyone makes transfer mistakes. He had a fine CV beforehand, for Spurs, he signed Berbatov, Modric, and Bale.

The transfer committee has been poor but there is an idea that there is certain oversight to the work of the manager. Yes, I agree it's been poor and that it needs an overhaul, but you cannot blame all of the faults on the transfer committee. We had the choice of a DoF or a transfer committee and went with the latter. Is it the perfect pick? Probably not.

Thing is, Rodgers' choice of players has not provided me with huge optimism either. He has wanted players like Mkhitaryan, who has been utterly disappointing for Dortmund, and his own signings have not been exemplary either.

I cannot believe you're clamoring for FSG to leave. That is just absurd. They've been great owners, injected the team with a good amount of cash, finally got work on Anfield started, and are building a young team that oozes potential and it'll take a few years, but have some faith.[/quote']

Our owners are financially astute owners but there are several question marks in regards to their ambition to compete at the top. Remember the infamous Tom Werner speech ' We have the resources to compete with anybody'. So far the clubs transfer dealings have suggested the contrary.

Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa, Willian, Mkhi, Salah, Dempsey, Konoplayanka is just a handful of examples that disproves Tom Werner's proposition that we have the resources to compete with anyone.

A young team oozing potential ?

Granted Coutinho and Sterling have the potential to be great, throw in Henderson [Maybe] I cant think of any other player that has the potential to be potentially a great player.

Furthermore there is no guarantee that this 'Money Ball approach' of signing young players of high resale value will bear any sort of sustained success at the top of the game.

Granted Dortmund and Atletico have found recent success with a focus on player development with a hard drive for bargain, neither club however is capable of long term success.

Dortmund despite all their plaudits have been suspect to losing a star player each year. Sahin, Kagawa, Gotze, Lewandowski. Atletico lost crucial players to chelsea despite winning the title.

At the end of the day even if you are capable of unearthing and developing gems our wage structure will ultimately see those players leave as soon as they reach their prime.

And for those fans who are debating whether Depay is worth £22 Million remember that our infamous transfer committee spent £20 Million on a player who hasn't even scored 10 goals in Portugal.

Increasing revenues is the keys and they have been doing that' date=' once the stadium is complete that's another key and I'm sure our commercial deals will get better and better I have lost count of the amount of commercial partners we have now.[/quote']

I am not an FSG fan. I am a Liverpool fan. Just as Manchester United fans are not Glazer fans but are Manchester United Fans. We as fans have the right to hold our owners to account. Just as Arsenal fans have been venting their frustration for years due to a lack of ambition over the last few years.

Your just one of those fans who thinks its Blasphemous to even scrutinise the direction in which our club is going.

But in your estimation FSG is not responsible for anything. They are not responsible for allocating a transfer budget. They are not responsible for forming a Transfer Committee. They are not responsible for hiring Brendan Rodgers.

Whether you like it or not the buck stops with the owners. Just as us Liverpool fans hold Hicks and Gillet responsible for the clubs decline, the owners are just as responsible for achieving success at the club.

You have not raised a single point that provides any sort of support that their money ball approach is working.