ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Depay been brilliant all season, he's quality and Liverpool fans are just disappointed and jealous. Own up guys.

Depay over Origi, who's better? Depay.

-Ok, I compared. My mistake, and it's a weird comparison. Sorry Tom and others. But I meant to say: Depay or Origi? I'd take Depay.

Meaning came out wrongly so sorry.

Depay been brilliant all season' date=' he's quality and Liverpool fans are just disappointed and jealous. Own up guys.

Depay over Origi, who's better? Depay.[/quote']

Rodgers - I was never after him - RUBBISH, PSV director says different

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/9840841/memphis-depay-chose-manchester-united-over-liverpool-insists-psv-director

When it comes to other areas of the pitch apart from the attacking side of things I think there could be a bit of work done.

I think centre back is an area we need to look at for a number of reasons. Firstly, in my opinion the best we've got is Mamadou Sakho. Only problem is he's been injured like 50% of the time he's been at the club so far. After that is Martin Skrtel, but I have a few doubts about him. I know Ray rates him highly, and he was no doubt extremely impressive when we were playing with 3 at the back this season. However his limited technical abilities means he isn't the best fit for the duo of centre halves in a team that likes to play out from the back. When he's in a three he's fantastic because he is relieved of a lot of the ball at his feet under pressure due to Mamadou Sakho and Emre Can being the focal points for playing the ball through to midfield. Unfortunately for him it seems as though the way forward is not 3 at the back due to its flaws, and so I think we can do and need better for when come up against high pressing teams.

not only shows what I'm talking about with City's 2nd goal, but also displays the aerial threat he just hasn't seemed to supply this season. Dejan Lovren was meant to be the sort of player to be sound technically and a threat from set pieces from what he showed at Southampton, but it just hasn't worked out at this stage. He's been better lately, but he's yet to put in the sort of man of the match game he had here. He cost us a fair amount of money so I'm expecting him to still be here next season, but it'd be a massive gamble to expect him to be back to his best any time soon. Tiago Ilori is someone Rodgers rates highlighy, and has the makings of a ball playing centre half, but the question that is yet to be answered is: is he good enough? I think we should give Ilori a good run in pre-season while keeping one eye firmly on the availability of any decent centre backs.

Right back is a position that needs addressing as well. Glen Johnson is going (no tears being shed there), Flanagan is out again - there's no telling that he'll be as good as he was when he returns, if he ever does - and Rodgers seems to be doing everything he can to avoid playing Manquillo. Emre Can do a job there (pun very much intended), but isn't the answer and as he has said himself he hopes to be moved into his preferred midfield position in the near future. The problem with looking for a new right back is that he's probably going to have to be another young, inexperienced and full of potential sort of player as there really isn't too many decent right backs around that are either the sort of player we need or that we'd be able to attract. If we want to add quality over potential than one possibility and I'm not sure how the rest of the forum would react to such a proposal is someone like Lukasz Piszczek. Dortmund may not even be in Europe next season so as far as I'm concerned the only thing that could prevent that sort of deal would be his loyalty to the club.

Defensive midfield is another position with a question mark above it. Is Lucas still going to be with us next season? Can Emre Can play as a 6 or is he more of a box to box player? It's another spot where it isn't as simple as a 'we need this player because we don't have one' scenario because of the unpredictable futures of other squad members. Another one that maybe shouldn't be acted on immediately but be prepared to act depending on how other factors pan out.

Also a back keeper is also more than likely going to be needed. Seems like Jones is on his way out after a contract offer was reportedly "revoked", but even if he were to stick around we'd probably need to do better. Do we go for a player to rival Mignolet? That could potentially have consequences as we may have an unhappy player on high wages sitting on the bench, but could also be a success depending on what sort of a reaction it gets out of Mignolet. We could go for another player who would be happy enough to sit on the bench as long as he's getting paid, but we're unlikely to come across much better than Jones in that instance. The final option would be to invest in a young prospect for the future. Problem with that though is that Mignolet has certainly still go many years ahead of him still and so the youngster may never even break his way into the team. Also it could hamper the development of the player if he would be sitting on the bench all season.

Here's what would be my preferred and realistic options for all the positions mentioned. To be honest can't see them all happening though.

CB: Alderweirald

RB: Piszczek

DM: Biglia

GK: Ruddy

P.S. If you United fans are going to regurgitate the exact same thing about Depay over and over please do it on your own thread.

Depay been brilliant all season' date=' he's quality and Liverpool fans are just disappointed and jealous. Own up guys.

What's Origi got to do with it???

Nothing.....

I don't care you have got Depay, I'm glad your so happy.....

Always amazes me how far Some United fans have there head up there own arses and believe they are mind readers all of a sudden......

What's Origi got to do with it???

Nothing.....

I don't care you have got Depay' date=' I'm glad your so happy.....

Always amazes me how far Some United fans have there head up there own arses and [b']believe they are mind readers all of a sudden.[/b].....

4187630_cc9e5851.jpg

I bet you're thinking about Kelly Brook right now.

I wouldn't really say £22-5m is overpriced for someone like Depay. If Markoivc is bought for £20m I know which I'd personally prefer to go with' date=' not a criticism but just my opinion.

Nobody is saying Depay will be like Suarez so why even mention him? :)

As I said before hindsight is a wonderful thing but Depay appears to have the right physical attributes to do well. Time will tell.[/quote']

Just read that Depay's price may be 30m. That is quite expensive don't you think? For a 21-year old unproven player. May have fantastic potential and talent, but definitely overpaid?

You mentioned Suarez first. I never brought him out. You used Suarez as an example of what players from the Dutch league could be.

I think Villa will sell him (Benteke) but the price is being driven up and his recent form will probably place him around £20-28m mark, Danny Ings would be great for most sides on a free and is a Liverpool style signing.

I don't think you'll sign a couple of fullbacks having just bought Moreno there isn't really anyone around I could see you bringing in to be honest.

As for DM and CB I thought Schneiderlen (however you spell it) would have considered moving to a top 4 Liverpool, which is still possible, but it looks very unlikely. CB again I can't see many better CB's available to Liverpool who aren't going to spend £40m.

Cech is a great GK but I can't see him in the PL if he leaves Chelsea, why would they give a rival a top player?

We don't have a RB, Flanno is out for 9 months, so we need a new RB. We'll see what the aforementioned transfer committee comes up with. And Cech has only been rumored a move to Liverpool or Arsenal, and his contract expires in a year, so I'm sure Chelsea will probably be willing to sell him.

He'll easily displace Ashley Young at LW, if you've seen United's recent games you'd agree that we're lacking a directness and pace in our game that could be provided by someone like Depay.

Well, what are you going to do with Di Maria, van Persie, and the troupe of players you already have in the team? I'm a bit confused by the purchase, that's all. Surely you guys have more pressing needs than a LW?

United has open cheque book to put the missing pieces to their puzzle' date=' and at least for United, in the group stage they won't rest £100mil worth of players like Liverpool did[/quote']

Nah you probably will if you bench Van Persie and Di Maria.

Depay has played in the Champions League so I'm not sure what you're chatting about.

Lol.

This is the last thing I've got to say on the matter. Depay is quality and Ray is jealous.

Lol again.

Slightly disappointed, absolutely not jealous. Never seen anyone before you compare Depay and Origi, so once again lol.

It'd be nice to see any United fans other than Ben and Dan formulate somewhat of a convincing argument that is not just verbal diarrhea.

Well' date=' what are you going to do with Di Maria, van Persie, and the troupe of players you already have in the team? I'm a bit confused by the purchase, that's all. Surely you guys have more pressing needs than a LW?

Slightly disappointed, absolutely not jealous. Never seen anyone before you compare Depay and Origi, so once again lol.

It'd be nice to see any United fans other than Ben and Dan formulate somewhat of a convincing argument that is not just verbal diarrhea.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that RvP will be sold this summer, he should be. There may have been more pressing needs but we lack pace now and that's what Depay brings to the table. The transfer window hasn't even started, there's plenty of time for Utd to get players whom their need, a CB, a holding mid, a striker, and whatever. If it's true that we have loads of money available then I don't se wit being a problem.

Comparing Depay and Origi is a bit strange, but why not? Both young, both are forwards, both are pacy. Both will join big teams in the EPL next season, so let's see how they fair.

What troupe of players? What do you mean? A team needs squad depth. Anyway there will be plenty of arrivals and departures this summer so stay tuned.

I wasn't calling you jealous, but some of the Pool fans seem so.

Usually I would be devastated if any of the players that I like and rated, joined a rival team, but not the case with Depay.

As much as I like to have him here, there is a few reason that I'm not overly fussed.

One of the reason would be the timing of the signing as we don't really need to cover that position; we already have tons of players that is identical to how Depay plays in Sterling, Ibe and Markovic - although the end product is not the same, but still. And it would make more sense to United for signing Depay than us, as they for years been known to heavily depend on wingers to do their attacking, not like us (especially under Rodgers).

Another reason - we can't afford to throw 20 - 30M and called it a 'punt' or the usual calculated risk; right now, given our league standing, European competition and FFP situation. The way I see it, Depay is this year Markovic - not saying he would end up like Markovic (this season) but in the way United bought the potential in him, like the way Liverpool did with Markovic. Our ship with buying potential should be long sailed, and if we still end up throwing 20 - 30M like Depay's transfers this coming windows, something sure needs to be done with our Transfer Committee.

Also like others been banging about, we have more important position to cover right now and with some of the experienced head leaving the club, we need proven players not another youngster, that can go straight into the team and give impact.

Depay visit Anfield headquarters - Rodgers say he wasn't after him' date=' Rodgers is a joke[/quote']

Calm yourself son.

Managers lied all the times - Rodgers once said Liverpool fans would be excited with his next signing - and the next day he bring Joe Allen for god sake.

Just read that Depay's price may be 30m. That is quite expensive don't you think? For a 21-year old unproven player. May have fantastic potential and talent' date=' but definitely overpaid?

You mentioned Suarez first. I never brought him out. You used Suarez as an example of what players from the Dutch league could be.

We don't have a RB, Flanno is out for 9 months, so we need a new RB. We'll see what the aforementioned transfer committee comes up with. And Cech has only been rumored a move to Liverpool or Arsenal, and his contract expires in a year, so I'm sure Chelsea will probably be willing to sell him.

Well, what are you going to do with Di Maria, van Persie, and the troupe of players you already have in the team? I'm a bit confused by the purchase, that's all. Surely you guys have more pressing needs than a LW?

Nah you probably will if you bench Van Persie and Di Maria.

Lol.

Lol again.

It'd be nice to see any United fans other than Ben and Dan formulate somewhat of a convincing argument that is not just verbal diarrhea.[/quote']

Origi was less than half the price of Depay, and too can still become a very good player for Liverpool, its stupid even mentioning him.

Man Utd haven't locked the 4th spot yet and supporters are already talking about CL group stage. I bet that they can't sign any Big Name unless they confirm the CL spot.

Origi was less than half the price of Depay' date=' and too can still become a very good player for Liverpool, its stupid even mentioning him.

Man Utd haven't locked the 4th spot yet and supporters are already talking about CL group stage. [b']I bet that they can't sign any Big Name unless they confirm the CL spot[/b].

Did it last summer.

So on that basis, you're wrong.

Ray's opinion on Falcao didn't make sense because any club would jump at the chance to sign a proven goal-scorer on loan.

Falcao still has one goal more than Balotelli and Lambert combined in 13 lesser appearances, which shows how Liverpool's transfers backfired, especially Balo.

Falcao has made more of an impact (which is hardly much) than those two.

I don't understand comments that signing Falcao was stupid. A risk, which didn't pay off. That's all.

Origi was less than half the price of Depay' date=' and too can still become a very good player for Liverpool, its stupid even mentioning him.

Man Utd haven't locked the 4th spot yet and supporters are already talking about CL group stage. I bet that they can't sign any Big Name unless they confirm the CL spot.[/quote']

Di Maria isn't a big name? Yes, if we don't make CL again then things could become bad but Pool are still 4 points behind with an inferior GD. Well in our hands, although I dare not jinx it.

To Tom and you: I didn't compare Depay and Origi, I just said that I rather choose Depay over Origi anyday. So don't put words in my mouth.

Di Maria isn't a big name? Yes' date=' if we don't make CL again then things could become bad but Pool are still 4 points behind with an inferior GD. Well in our hands, although I dare not jinx it.

To Tom and you: [b']I didn't compare Depay and Origi, I just said that I rather choose Depay over Origi anyday.[/b] So don't put words in my mouth.

That is a comparison, isn't it?

Too early to decide now about Depay and what he will do, and whether he's better than Origi anyway. We'll see that next season, although there would be pressure on both, Depay over his reputation and price tag, and Origi for beng the potential source of goals (if Pool don't sign an proven goalscorer). Let's see :)

Too early to decide now about Depay and what he will do' date=' and whether he's better than Origi anyway. We'll see that next season, although there would be pressure on both, Depay over his reputation and price tag, and Origi for beng the potential source of goals ([b']if Pool don't sign an proven goalscorer[/b]). Let's see :)

Very unlikely, especially with Sturridge's new injury.

I'm pretty sure that RvP will be sold this summer' date=' he should be. There may have been more pressing needs but we lack pace now and that's what Depay brings to the table. The transfer window hasn't even started, there's plenty of time for Utd to get players whom their need, a CB, a holding mid, a striker, and whatever. If it's true that we have loads of money available then I don't se wit being a problem.

Comparing Depay and Origi is a bit strange, but why not? Both young, both are forwards, both are pacy. Both will join big teams in the EPL next season, so let's see how they fair.

What troupe of players? What do you mean? A team needs squad depth. Anyway there will be plenty of arrivals and departures this summer so stay tuned.

I wasn't calling you jealous, but some of the Pool fans seem so.[/quote']

When you lose an argument or don't have anything intelligent to say, you just push onto jealousy. I'm sorry, but it's not jealousy.

Also, jealousy is the wrong word. Try envious if you're trying to make your case. You feel jealousy over something you have but are afraid of losing. Envious is over something you don't have.

Ray's opinion on Falcao didn't make sense because any club would jump at the chance to sign a proven goal-scorer on loan.

Falcao still has one goal more than Balotelli and Lambert combined in 13 lesser appearances' date=' which shows how Liverpool's transfers backfired, especially Balo.

Falcao has made more of an impact (which is hardly much) than those two.

I don't understand comments that signing Falcao was stupid. A risk, which didn't pay off. That's all.[/quote']

This is the same argument that you'd use for Balotelli wouldn't it? You call the signing of Balotelli stupid, yet it is also a risk, by your definition. Double standards much?

A bit of logic would go a long way for your posts.

Di Maria isn't a big name? Yes' date=' if we don't make CL again then things could become bad but Pool are still 4 points behind with an inferior GD. Well in our hands, although I dare not jinx it.

To Tom and you: I didn't compare Depay and Origi, I just said that I rather choose Depay over Origi anyday. So don't put words in my mouth.[/quote']

That is literally the definition of comparison. I could not provide a better example if I tried.

Also, you did say this: "Comparing Depay and Origi is a bit strange, but why not? Both young, both are forwards, both are pacy. Both will join big teams in the EPL next season, so let's see how they fair."

Too early to decide now about Depay and what he will do' date=' and whether he's better than Origi anyway. We'll see that next season, although there would be pressure on both, Depay over his reputation and price tag, and Origi for beng the potential source of goals (if Pool don't sign an proven goalscorer). Let's see :)[/quote']

You've gone back on your point about three times in four posts. I know upping your post count is important for a new forum member, but at least keep your points consistent.

This is the same argument that you'd use for Balotelli wouldn't it? You call the signing of Balotelli stupid' date=' yet it is also a risk, by your definition. Double standards much?

A bit of logic would go a long way for your posts.

[/quote']

Balotelli has played in the EPL for City before so Rodgers should of known what he is like

Falcao was a risk which didn't plan out as start he had great scoring record and knee op

Did it last summer.

So on that basis' date=' you're wrong.[/quote']

To Tom and you: I didn't compare Depay and Origi, I just said that I rather choose Depay over Origi anyday. So don't put words in my mouth.[/quote']

And look what how it turned up! You only signed Di Maria because PSG couldn't buy him at the time, simple! And you brought in Falcao because nobody else wanted to risk it for the sum. Two greedy mofos i may add, not all players are like that, money over CL...

Yes, you did compare, no need to go around denying it now! We all get it, it was stupid, lets move on!

Just read that Depay's price may be 30m. That is quite expensive don't you think? For a 21-year old unproven player. May have fantastic potential and talent' date=' but definitely overpaid?

As far as I'm aware it around £22-25m but we'll say £25m as a rough guide for now. If however if it is £30m as you suggest then I'd say we're overspending somewhat, I don't mind £25m though that's about right.

I did mention him but not as a comparison to Depay, I just mentioned that some Dutch league players have done well in the PL, like Suarez, and that also some have not. I was merely using him to highlight how silly it is to suggest a player cannot succeed based solely on their previous league it's more complex than that. I just don't see why you would mention Suarez in relation to Depay not having the same potential etc as the two are completely different players and nobody had before suggested any direct comparison between the two that's all.

It would seem then that a new RB is needed, hands off Clyne!!! I can't think of many Liverpool-esque signings in that position who are available maybe someone like Trippier or am I losing my mind?

What we are going to do with them and what I would like to happen are potentially very different. As far as I'm concerned RVP is no longer a starter, Rooney has proven he's the main man, once again, upfront and RVP must either content himself to the bench or leave. IMO I'd like to see RVP sold while he holds value and replaced with someone like Lacazette whose pace could be a nice addition to the squad, however equally I realise the unlikelihood of such an occurrence.

As for Di Maria I think he's had so many personal issues to battle with the worst being his home broken into that it's hard to be too harsh on him this season. His stats aren't all that bad though equally he has had nowhere near the desired impact of a big money player. I'd say give him another season to show us the true side of his game and hopefully settle in. However having said that if PSG came in with £50m+ for him I don't think United could refuse and should then make a serious move for Bale (and I'm aware I'm back in rainbow land now).

I'm pretty sure that RvP will be sold this summer' date=' he should be. There may have been more pressing needs but we lack pace now and that's what Depay brings to the table. The transfer window hasn't even started, there's plenty of time for Utd to get players whom their need, a CB, a holding mid, a striker, and whatever. If it's true that we have loads of money available then I don't se wit being a problem.[/quote']

Hard to judge RVP sale, really it only makes sense if someone comes in too and who?

I think it would be very naive of any fan to doubt that United won't make more signings and that some of those could potentially be CL quality.

Usually I would be devastated if any of the players that I like and rated' date=' joined a rival team, but not the case with Depay.

As much as I like to have him here, there is a few reason that I'm not overly fussed.

One of the reason would be the timing of the signing as we don't really need to cover that position; we already have tons of players that is identical to how Depay plays in Sterling, Ibe and Markovic - although the end product is not the same, but still. And it would make more sense to United for signing Depay than us, as they for years been known to heavily depend on wingers to do their attacking, not like us (especially under Rodgers).

Another reason - we can't afford to throw 20 - 30M and called it a 'punt' or the usual calculated risk; right now, given our league standing, European competition and FFP situation. The way I see it, Depay is this year Markovic - not saying he would end up like Markovic (this season) but in the way United bought the potential in him, like the way Liverpool did with Markovic. Our ship with buying potential should be long sailed, and if we still end up throwing 20 - 30M like Depay's transfers this coming windows, something sure needs to be done with our Transfer Committee.

Also like others been banging about, we have more important position to cover right now and with some of the experienced head leaving the club, we need proven players not another youngster, that can go straight into the team and give impact.

[/quote']

Depay isn't identical to any of those wingers I'm afraid, very different style to all of them apart from being quick. For example Depay is very much a cut inside LW, Sterling can play anywhere on wings, CAM or ST, Markovic won't move from a RM/RW really and Ibe isn't near Depay's level despite showing promise Ibe's more of a promising youngster showing promise of being more promising! :P

That being said I completely agree you have bigger worries than LW and so £25m on Depay makes no sense for your side. He is needed more at United and probably knows that too.

I think the biggest difference I feel with the Markovic and Depay transfers is the physical build and style of the players. Now far be it from me to say smaller, thinner wingers have no place in the PL, but typically they have a bit of power as well as pace, or they have excellent balance and the ability to do something unexpected. Depay has shown he ticks those boxes for club and country and I would argue is ahead of Markovic in terms of development at this stage. Basically I feel at the time of purchase that Depay is better prepared to do well than Markovic, that's not to say Markovic cannot do well but we've seen it's taken him a bit of time to settle.

I agree you need proven players too but this goes back to my other point about Liverpool missing their window of opportunity. That 2nd place finish combined with the Suarez cash was the best platform for Liverpool to find a Suarez replacement and look at gaining another quality player too. Proven players generally desire CL football and money (of course history etc can play a role with clubs like Liverpool and United) so with this in mind you have to admit that Liverpool really missed the boat last summer. They missed out on bigger names (again not as simple I know) which has made this window practically impossible for the club to fulfil the needs of the squad and in some ways the fan's expectations. They need quality but with a 5th place spot likely, and less cash than other top 4 clubs does Liverpool really offer anything that United, Chelsea, Arsenal or City could not? I don't wish to be disrespectful, most of you know despite the rivalry I admire Liverpool in many ways, but objectively speaking I cannot think of any reason a pre-made player, one of top quality, would wish to join you, and also Liverpool in recent history have never gone out and done that.

The whole scenario looks like Liverpool will be forced into developing talent, which has always been the intention, only the downside is that when you sell what you build you have to re-build. This puts a lot of pressure on the club because sometimes you mix the cement wrong and the house falls down.

This coming window for me has a bit of that feeling, it reminds me a lot of United's summer just gone, it was time we had to make a statement and regardless of performance of the players we signed, Di Maria certainly did that.

I doubt Liverpool can do the same.

Man Utd haven't locked the 4th spot yet and supporters are already talking about CL group stage. I bet that they can't sign any Big Name unless they confirm the CL spot.[/quote']

I know people disagree with you but actually I agree with your second point.

United haven't secured top 4 just yet and I don't believe until we do that we'll hear of a Mats Hummels type player arriving, someone big name. That being said I'm quite confident of getting some CL quality players in the summer.

Di Maria was the exception to the rule IMO and 2 seasons out of the CL would make it much harder to attract that bracket of player.