Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Lol' date=' more Suarez money to burn over? Thought it was spent on that markovicic muppet? Kono to good to join you lot. More players like Emre Can etc are more suited to Liverpool. Let's see what happens. [/color']

As the ambassador of #YouLotWeStand I'd like to advise readers that our crew are hard at work behind the scenes trying to translate this carefully articulated absolute nonsense into English. At this time we cannot say if it is actually possible but rest assured we are doing all we can.

Lol' date=' more Suarez money to burn over? Thought it was spent on that markovicic muppet? Kono to good to join you lot. More players like Emre Can etc are more suited to Liverpool. Let's see what happens. [/color']

Is Markovicic like, a hybrid or Markovic and Kovacic?

I posted this on the PL thread but I guess it is more relevant in here...

I'm not sure how many of you saw/heard Redknapp today say Gerrard is better than Viera, Scholes, Keane and Lampard combined but I'm curious as to what your (Liverpool fans) opinion of that statement is?

IMO....

"Absolute joke of a statement. Everyone knows Gerrard is good, but not up there with the absolute best in the PL. He is a legend in Liverpool but staying at one club isn't even unique and technically he's not even done that now with his move to LA.

His status at the club is assured, and rightly so, thanks his CL exploit but when it comes down to it he never won the PL. If he was THAT good (better than those midfielders combined) then he's single handedly be winning the league for any club. My goodness people lose sight of reality when a bit of a spectacle is made.

Anyway I personally think the guard of honour was a nice touch, I would have supported something similar for Scholes, Giggs and Neville but IMO those guys are far more unique than Gerrard. They stayed from beginning to end with the club winning everything there is to win along the way whereas Gerrard is leaving for one last money grab in the USA.

I'm a huge fan of Gerrard BTW before anyone says 'UNITED BIAS OMG' I just think his achievements need to be put into context, he was a great player in an very good team, but the lack of a PL medal will IMO forever taint his career. Certainly a PL great, but nowhere near the greatest and there isn't a single argument to suggest otherwise."

I posted this on the PL thread but I guess it is more relevant in here...

I'm not sure how many of you saw/heard Redknapp today say Gerrard is better than Viera' date=' Scholes, Keane and Lampard combined but I'm curious as to what your (Liverpool fans) opinion of that statement is?

IMO....

"Absolute joke of a statement. Everyone knows Gerrard is good, but not up there with the absolute best in the PL. He is a legend in Liverpool but staying at one club isn't even unique and technically he's not even done that now with his move to LA.

His status at the club is assured, and rightly so, thanks his CL exploit but when it comes down to it he never won the PL. [b']If he was THAT good (better than those midfielders combined) then he's single handedly[/b] be winning the league for any club. My goodness people lose sight of reality when a bit of a spectacle is made.

Anyway I personally think the guard of honour was a nice touch, I would have supported something similar for Scholes, Giggs and Neville but IMO those guys are far more unique than Gerrard. They stayed from beginning to end with the club winning everything there is to win along the way whereas Gerrard is leaving for one last money grab in the USA.

I'm a huge fan of Gerrard BTW before anyone says 'UNITED BIAS OMG' I just think his achievements need to be put into context, he was a great player in an very good team, but the lack of a PL medal will IMO forever taint his career. Certainly a PL great, but nowhere near the greatest and there isn't a single argument to suggest otherwise."

Even if Messi was twice as good as he was he couldn't win a league title on his own.

The lack of a PL medal will not taint his career in anyway, he was pretty much the key man in winning the Champions League, in one of the greatest comebacks in football. (Rivaling even our own '99 comeback, I'd say '99 was better though) Only rival fans like our own will say the lack of a PL medal takes anything away from his career, but it doesn't, fellow professionals and people involved in the game will always remember him as a great and one of the best (still not better than Scholes) and it's there opinions that will really hold their weight, Gerrard will be held in high regard by everyone in the game, you really think if he had one PL medal, his career would be looked at any different?

Not a Liverpool fan by any means.

Hahaha imagine not thinking Gerrard was one of the Premier Leagues best, he's been surrounded by absolute tosh his whole career compared to those Redknapp mentioned, it's ridiculous to not think he's up there, him and Lampard for me are the two best midfielders in the Prem era, you can only win so much and put any of those midfielders in our team for Gerrard and we wouldn't have got half the success we had.

I'm sorry but it's laughable, you want to know how good he is? Your manager tried to sign him twice, you constantly sing about him and the top players in World football call him one of the best. You're an idiot to think otherwise.

Hahaha imagine not thinking Gerrard was one of the Premier Leagues best' date=' he's been surrounded by absolute tosh his whole career compared to those Redknapp mentioned, it's ridiculous to not think he's up there, him and Lampard for me are the two best midfielders in the Prem era, you can only win so much and put any of those midfielders in our team for Gerrard and we wouldn't have got half the success we had.

I'm sorry but it's laughable, you want to know how good he is? Your manager tried to sign him twice, you constantly sing about him and the top players in World football call him one of the best. You're an idiot to think otherwise.[/quote']

Ya to be fair I cannot argue with this,you can only give Gerrard credit,also it is not his fault if Redknapp goes slightly overboard.Hard to believe that Redknapp gets so much money from SKY in general.:)

Even if Messi was twice as good as he was he couldn't win a league title on his own.

The lack of a PL medal will not taint his career in anyway' date=' he was pretty much the key man in winning the Champions League, in one of the greatest comebacks in football. (Rivaling even our own '99 comeback, I'd say '99 was better though) Only rival fans like our own will say the lack of a PL medal takes anything away from his career, but it doesn't, fellow professionals and people involved in the game will always remember him as a great and one of the best (still not better than Scholes) and it's there opinions that will really hold their weight, Gerrard will be held in high regard by everyone in the game, you really think if he had one PL medal, his career would be looked at any different?

Not a Liverpool fan by any means.

Ok just so people don't just accuse this of being a United fan trolling let me start by saying the following positives which I hope you appreciate coming from a United fan:

I love Steven Gerrard as a player, or loved him shall I say. I think he was terrific and very talented. In his peak his dynamism, power and commitment were a joy to behold and impossible to not admire. He could do most things for his team which is what made him so great and it will be strange to not see him in a Liverpool shirt. He is unquestionably a Liverpool legend and anyone suggesting anything otherwise doesn't understand football.

BUT RE: Redknapp's comments...

If you had a midfielder who was better than Keane, Viera, Lampard AND Scholes all combined (that is 4 players) then you wouldn't need a midfield you'd just need a Gerrard! It's laughable!

My point is he's so obviously not better than all of them and while it is completely right to celebrate a very good and special relationship with Liverpool FC it's definitely far too much to claim Gerrard is anything other than a absolutely terrific footballer and legend for Liverpool, and definitely a great CM but not anything else.

If Gerrard had won a PL winners medal then he could be considered a PL great, by definition in order to be the best CM in the Premier League's history do you not think a requirement should be to win the thing? It's not like he's played in terrible Liverpool teams all his career either. As much as he deserves to have a PL medal he never won one. So can't be ahead of those that achieved all he had, plus more.

Now I know that might not go down to well but objectively speaking you could not call someone like Lionel Messi the best World Cup player every for the same reason, he's not yet won the WC, so I don't see how it could be any different for Gerrard in the PL.

Despite that his performance in that Champions League game was absolutely incredible, I take nothing away from him there because it was an amazing comeback.

Unfortunately though the fact remains he never had that kind of moment to win a title, in fact, horrifically and undeservedly he had the opposite with his slip. I felt incredibly sorry for him because he's probably the only player to deserve one and miss out. I have the absolute highest respect for him.

In your opinion the lack of a medal doesn't taint his career but it is the one thing missing from his footballing CV in terms of club career which is impossible to ignore especially when people like Redknapp are claiming he's better than 4 of the greatest PL midfielders of all time for one reason or another.

With the medal it is perfect, without though something is missing and therefore by definition his club career is slightly tainted. That doesn't mean he isn't a legend, that doesn't mean he wasn't a great player and one of the best but it does mean he can't be considered THE best like Redknapp is making out in his comments. May I point out also that the lack of PL medal it is merely the slightest of blemishes on an all but flawless and unique career. The problem is that many footballers have careers with the complete set of staying at one club, winning CL, FA Cup, PL etc...

This isn't me hating on Gerrard, I'll reiterate again how much of a fan I am of him, he is IMO everything that was and is great about Liverpool FC but let's hypothesise for a second.

Imagine this. Scholes, Giggs and Neville never win the PL do you think they'd be considered PL greats, or the greatest to have lived like some are claiming of Gerrard? Do you not think that people would point to their lack of PL medals as a reason for them not being better than other PL players?

Hahaha imagine not thinking Gerrard was one of the Premier Leagues best' date=' he's been surrounded by [b']absolute tosh[/b] his whole career compared to those Redknapp mentioned, it's ridiculous to not think he's up there, him and Lampard for me are the two best midfielders in the Prem era, you can only win so much and put any of those midfielders in our team for Gerrard and we wouldn't have got half the success we had.

I'm sorry but it's laughable, you want to know how good he is? Your manager tried to sign him twice, you constantly sing about him and the top players in World football call him one of the best. You're an idiot to think otherwise.

Today seems to be the day of Liverpudlians overstating absolutely everything. How on earth can you say he's been surrounded by tosh his whole career through? That for me overpowers the rest of your statement, which I believe to be grosso modo correct.

Also, he's apparently "better than all of them combined".

Hahaha imagine not thinking Gerrard was one of the Premier Leagues best' date=' he's been surrounded by absolute tosh his whole career compared to those Redknapp mentioned, it's ridiculous to not think he's up there, him and Lampard for me are the two best midfielders in the Prem era, you can only win so much and put any of those midfielders in our team for Gerrard and we wouldn't have got half the success we had.

I'm sorry but it's laughable, you want to know how good he is? Your manager tried to sign him twice, you constantly sing about him and the top players in World football call him one of the best. You're an idiot to think otherwise.[/quote']

calling Xabi Alonso tosh then?

Who wins league titles on their own?

Ridiculous.

Lot of jealousy flowing around this thread tonight.

Genuinely not jealous that Liverpool are losing one of their greatest ever players' date=' if anything I am sad to see him go.

I think a lot of you are looking at my badge rather than what I am actually saying.

Hahaha imagine not thinking Gerrard was one of the Premier Leagues best, he's been surrounded by absolute tosh his whole career compared to those Redknapp mentioned, it's ridiculous to not think he's up there, him and Lampard for me are the two best midfielders in the Prem era, you can only win so much and put any of those midfielders in our team for Gerrard and we wouldn't have got half the success we had.

He is one of the PL's best my point is though it is impossible to argue he is THE best PL midfielder that Redknapp would have you believe.

In fact I would have loved him to play for Manchester United where he would have won that PL medal and then been in contention as the greatest CM in PL history, but he's not.

You're calling me an idiot despite not reading my post correctly and making the rash assumption that I don't believe Gerrard is a legend of the game?

Hopefully you'll understand my point a bit better by reading my previous post.

Ya to be fair I cannot argue with this' date='you can only give Gerrard credit,also it is not his fault if Redknapp goes slightly overboard.Hard to believe that Redknapp gets so much money from SKY in general.:)[/quote']

I give him full credit, I never haven't I'm just pointing out how laughable it is to say on national TV that Gerrard is better than Viera, Keane, Lampard and Scholes combined?

Today seems to be the day of Liverpudlians overstating absolutely everything. How on earth can you say he's been surrounded by tosh his whole career through? That for me overpowers the rest of your statement' date=' which I believe to be grosso modo correct.

Also, he's apparently "better than all of them [b']combined[/b]".

We had a good team for about a season in 2008 with Torres, Masch, Carra, Alonso and Pep. Otherwise he's had a load of rubbish around him, this is a guy who took the most average of squads to a Champions League, look at some of the players he's been around compared to Viera, Keane, Lampard, Scholes and Giggs. Diouf, Pongolle, Baros, Smicer, Cisse, Cheryo, Traore etc Gerrard has won trophies surrounded by this calibre of players. For me only Lampard could be argued to eclipse him, he's an unbelievable player and one of the Premier Leagues greatest.

Genuinely not jealous that Liverpool are losing one of their greatest ever players' date=' if anything I am sad to see him go.

I think a lot of you are looking at my badge rather than what I am actually saying.

He is one of the PL's best my point is though it is impossible to argue he is THE best PL midfielder that Redknapp would have you believe.

In fact I would have loved him to play for Manchester United where he would have won that PL medal and then been in contention as the greatest CM in PL history, but he's not.

You're calling me an idiot despite not reading my post correctly and making the rash assumption that I don't believe Gerrard is a legend of the game?

Hopefully you'll understand my point a bit better by reading my previous post.

I give him full credit, I never haven't I'm just pointing out how laughable it is to say on national TV that Gerrard is better than Viera, Keane, Lampard and Scholes combined?[/quote']

Well thats Redknapp for you,as I said,it is amazing to think that he gets seriously well paid by SKY. Not even Zidane is better than all those players combined!

I don't think anyone has even slightly agreed with the Redknapp comment, before anyone tries to bring that up as an argument in any way shape or form, he's on a similar level to the players named, not better than all of them, not better than all of them combined either.

I don't think anyone has even slightly agreed with the Redknapp comment' date=' before anyone tries to bring that up as an argument in any way shape or form, he's on a similar level to the players named, not better than all of them, not better than all of them combined either.[/quote']

ya very true.