ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Anyone who thinks Sterling is to good for Liverpool clearly hasn't seen him play much this season :rolleyes:

Ever thought that might be because of the players he's playing with? Last season he had Suarez and Sturridge to play to and receive from. This time round either Sterling has been the focal point up front, which he's completely unsuited to, or he's been supporting Lambert or Balotelli, both of whom are pretty useless. He'll thrive with better players around him and he won't get that at Liverpool.

Ever thought that might be because of the players he's playing with? Last season he had Suarez and Sturridge to play to and receive from. This time round either Sterling has been the focal point up front' date=' which he's completely unsuited to, or he's been supporting Lambert or Balotelli, both of whom are pretty useless. He'll thrive with better players around him and he won't get that at Liverpool.[/quote']

You are seriously overrating him,(prob incase he goes to City)he is another in a long long line of overrated English players.. The likes of Wilshere was going to be the Xavi of English football! More recently I think Barkley is overrated too.

Ever thought that might be because of the players he's playing with? Last season he had Suarez and Sturridge to play to and receive from. This time round either Sterling has been the focal point up front' date=' which he's completely unsuited to, or he's been supporting Lambert or Balotelli, both of whom are pretty useless. He'll thrive with better players around him and he won't get that at Liverpool.[/quote']

Have you thought about that Last season, know 1 knew how to stop their pace and tactics but this year people figures them out

Sterling last year scored 9 goals out of the Liverpool's 101 goals

Like Barnes has said Does anyone believe that if he goes to Manchester City he will be the first name on the team sheet or are they just signing him because they need English players?

Like Carragher says - If it's about trophies, Liverpool had a chance for a trophy this year - in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley against Aston Villa. Where was Sterling?

You are seriously overrating him' date='(prob incase he goes to City)he is another in a long long line of overrated English players.. The likes of Wilshere was going to be the Xavi of English football! More recently I think Barkley is overrated too.[/quote']

I don't think I am. I think he has great potential and I'd be happy to see City take a gamble on him fulfilling that.

And you don't think Barnes and Carragher might have their allegiances firmly with Liverpool in this scenario? They're anything but impartial.

Gotta love the fickle nature of fans......

For years we have had Stu say Sterling is overrated, got so much to learn , hardly any end product etc etc now he is linked with City....

Massive Talent to big for Liverpool (do me a favour, your level of arrogance in your comment is bordering on United like status).

He is 20 years of age and although talented he really has it all to prove and if he can only look good when there are players around him to make him look good that dont bode well for his own individual talent level does it??

Sterling is talented but he still has a lot to prove, would I prefer him to sign a new contract and stay yes but if somebody comes in with silly money would I be devestated if he left, do i think the team would immensely suffer....no

This aint a Suarez, Gerrard, Alonso situation Liverpool will survive fine without him,

I don't think I am. I think he has great potential and I'd be happy to see City take a gamble on him fulfilling that.

And you don't think Barnes and Carragher might have their allegiances firmly with Liverpool in this scenario? They're anything but impartial.

Your saying Sterling would be one of the 1st names down on the team sheet?

Sterling 2013-14

Goals 9 Assisted 6 and Liverpool scored 101 goals that season

2014-15

Goals 7 Assist 8 and liverpool scored 51 goals

Doesn't look good at all

I know how Liverpool can save a little bit of money' date=' buy ings then get Sterling shirt and remove sterl but put the s at the end[/quote']

Yeah, I saw that on espnfc few hours back, some disgruntled Pool fan found a smart way lol

Your saying Sterling would be one of the 1st names down on the team sheet?

Sterling 2013-14

Goals 9 Assisted 6 and Liverpool scored 101 goals that season

2014-15

Goals 7 Assist 8 and liverpool scored 51 goals

Doesn't look good at all

On that basis his 2014/15 was a better season, involved in 15% of goals in 13/14 compared to 30% in 14/15.

On that basis his 2014/15 was a better season' date=' involved in 15% of goals in 13/14 compared to 30% in 14/15.[/quote']

but Sterling hasn't even hit into double figures in goals, scored 2 less than previous season and play extra 2 games

He was suppose to be the main man after Sturridge and still can't hit double figures

Sterling hasn't even got a goal in the CL

On that basis his 2014/15 was a better season' date=' involved in 15% of goals in 13/14 compared to 30% in 14/15.[/quote']

Majority of his input was early in the season, he's been rank average since Christmas and clearly doesn't care anymore since the whole contract problem began. For however good he is and he'll never improve if he doesn't care, I'd sooner cash in and replace him with somebody who wants to play.

Funny that Stuart suddenly endorses Sterling, it was only last season you said he would end up on the same level as Lennon and SWP. Sterling has the potential to be great, but if he stays with his current agent he'll make one wrong move and it will dent his career. I'd also like to see how patient the City fans will be when he inevitably misses a bucket load of chances every match, his end product is horrific and the only way it improves is consistent football, I don't think City will give him that opportunity.

As I said last week, I'm much more excited by Ibe and hopefully this means more game time for him.

I agree with this. Anything over 25 mil for him and I would sell in a hart beat' date=' kid isn't even worth that much.

Will not getting any better as a player no matter where he goes. Already over rated as it is. [/color']

Frustration comes in many forms but on the soccer manager forum it only comes in one it comes in Tony.

Haven't listened to Carragher or Barnes.I am going by what I see of Sterling myself..

but Sterling hasn't even hit into double figures in goals' date=' scored 2 less than previous season and play extra 2 games

He was suppose to be the main man after Sturridge and still can't hit double figures

Sterling hasn't even got a goal in the CL[/quote']

Majority of his input was early in the season' date=' he's been rank average since Christmas and clearly doesn't care anymore since the whole contract problem began. For however good he is and he'll never improve if he doesn't care, I'd sooner cash in and replace him with somebody who wants to play.

Funny that Stuart suddenly endorses Sterling, it was only last season you said he would end up on the same level as Lennon and SWP. Sterling has the potential to be great, but if he stays with his current agent he'll make one wrong move and it will dent his career. I'd also like to see how patient the City fans will be when he inevitably misses a bucket load of chances every match, his end product is horrific and the only way it improves is consistent football, I don't think City will give him that opportunity.

As I said last week, I'm much more excited by Ibe and hopefully this means more game time for him.[/quote']

I was merely just pointing out the facts that TalentSearcher tried to use as a negative point towards Stu actually imply the opposite. However im fully aware stats are misleading especially when quoted with no back up like TS offered. If you're going to use stats, make sure you add them in the right context, anyone can look decent with raw data.

I was merely just pointing out the facts that TalentSearcher tried to use as a negative point towards Stu actually imply the opposite. However im fully aware stats are misleading especially when quoted with no back up like TS offered. If you're going to use stats' date=' make sure you add them in the right context, anyone can look decent with raw data.[/quote']

Lovren is the best centre half in the league according to stats!:rolleyes:

Well for me Carragher sums it up perfectly when he talks about Sterling and winning trophies. He wants to win trophies yet when he's in a semi-final against Aston Villa he doesn't produce anything. You can point to the other players in the team and say they're bad too but that doesn't account for the lack of heart that some of his performances have produced.

People seem to be saying he'll be a good fit at City because he'll be playing with world class players and are justifying that based on how he did with Suarez and Sturridge. Firstly I'd like to point at the start of that season until a few goals came his way he was horrendous. One of the worst players in the team for a couple of months. Second of all isn't that the player you would want to avoid. Why would you want a player that can only produce when he's playing with good players? City came up short this year because the drop in form of Yaya Toure and also often struggle without Aguero in the side. Wouldn't the aim if you're at Manchester City be to build a team that can perform no matter who's playing in the side?

He's clearly a player that struggles with pressure. Ever since he held that interview he's been a shadow of the player he's shown he can be. What happens at City when he's being paid big money and he has a few off games. The fans start to get on his back and his confidence returns to where it's been this season. He collapses and falls well out of favour and wastes away on the bench. Of course that's all hypothetical but it's also common sense.

Perhaps he gets into the team at City. He's still not going to be playing week in week out like he does here. It doesn't make sense to me that he would risk his potential for more money and a 'better chance to win trophies'. He's 20 years of age for crying out loud. If he's actually any good then he'll get paid plenty of money, he'll win plenty of trophies. Steven Gerrard may have not won a premier league medal but he won plenty of trophies. And I'm not saying he has to be Gerrard, maybe he moves on in 2, 3, 4 years when he's actually good enough to hold a regular place in some of the better teams. Moving on now just doesn't make sense and the only reasoning behind it can be that it's money motivated. Why risk your career for money when you're still only 20. Does he not believe in himself that he can improve as a player and believes he has to cash in while he can?

if the scenario is :-

Sterling leaves for £30m-£40m

Money is invested in a genuine, established forward threat to that value

Ibe steps up

then I for one would be happy.

However if the scenario is:-

Sterling leaves for £30m-£40m

Money is invested in a couple of potentially good forwards and a veteran striker whilst we are told Sturridge is ok now and we've got Origi

Ibe steps up

Then I for one would be unhappy.

I've been thinking and I think the best action for Liverpool is not to sell. If that means him winding down his contract and letting him leave on a free then so be it. We can't allow ourselves to be portrayed as a selling club to future youngsters to come through. Sterling has obviously been influenced by the Suarez saga. We need these dramatic and big name outgoings to end and we need to establish to the world that we still have some power over our players. I for one feel that submitting to the demands of a 20 year old whilst the club is in the current position that its in will have more damaging affects on it in the future than turning down £30m will. And if you call that holding him back against his will then refer to the part where he's tied to us by a contract. If he wanted this he should've thought more carefully about how long he committed to the club.

I've been thinking and I think the best action for Liverpool is not to sell. If that means him winding down his contract and letting him leave on a free then so be it. We can't allow ourselves to be portrayed as a selling club to future youngsters to come through. Sterling has obviously been influenced by the Suarez saga. We need these dramatic and big name outgoings to end and we need to establish to the world that we still have some power over our players. I for one feel that submitting to the demands of a 20 year old whilst the club is in the current position that its in will have more damaging affects on it in the future than turning down £30m will. And if you call that holding him back against his will then refer to the part where he's tied to us by a contract. If he wanted this he should've thought more carefully about how long he committed to the club.

I don't think you can leave on free before the age of 23??

I can't believe the amount of fallout from this, from the pundits, old club players and the fans alike. Genuinely shocked you have turned on him as much as you have.

Why is it so hard to believe that he wants to move on to win trophies & further his career, like Alonso, like Mascherano, like Suarez, hell arguably even like Torres?

It's a massive shame how sour things have gone, and it is easy to blame Sterling solely for this but it can't be all put on him, the club hasn't done anything to stop the sniping, or keep contract negotiations in-house, which arguably started this whole mess.

I found this very interesting from John Cross:

This is about trophies rather than money.

Raheem Sterling is ambitious, focused and determined to make the most of his career.

He wants to win the highest honours in the game, improve by playing in the Champions League on a regular basis and be the best he can be for England.

Sterling is passionate about playing for England and there is no doubt that playing on Europe's biggest stage helps international careers. And no-one should knock a young player for trying to show ambition for England.

And his fear is that he will not be able to reach those heights while at Liverpool which is why he has told the club he wants to leave Anfield.

Liverpool now face a huge task to persuade Sterling to change his mind and stay when he meets with club officials this week.

It is Sterling's decision and his decision alone. Not even £150,000-a-week let alone the £90,000-a-week on offer could make him change his mind now.

Liverpool missed out on a place in the top four and a place among Europe's elite which leaves their long term direction in serious doubt.

Last summer they sold their best player in Luis Suarez. This summer they have lost a club icon in Steven Gerrard. Daniel Sturridge has been plagued by injuries. These are uncertain times at Anfield.

It is all very well for former players to tell Sterling what is best for him. But at times it has felt to Sterling as if the club has encouraged the sniping and back biting.

Jamie Carragher has been vociferous and outspoken. But he also highlighted the issue of the fans potentially turning on Sterling amid his contract stand-off. That was always likely to encourage the fans to react rather than discourage.

Sterling is a different character to Carragher and was born in Jamaica, grew up in London so Merseyside isn't his natural home. Why would Carragher know what's best for Sterling? Sterling has no emotional ties to Liverpool.

Former Liverpool star John Barnes has also been quick to advise what’s best for Sterling. And yet maybe the irony and similarities are lost on Barnes that he was born in Jamaica and left Watford in the 1980s to join Liverpool in search of success. That's only what Sterling is trying to do now.

In fact, all the endless legends from yesteryear - and no club has as many as Liverpool - dressed in their club suits have only succeeded in pushing him the other way.

They don't know him, or know what's best for him but it has felt like the club has tried to win a PR war which has alienated the player.

Sterling is annoyed that the club put it out that he turned down £100,000-a-week when that isn't the figure. So it didn't come from Sterling's camp.

Sterling is strong willed and anyone who suggests it is not him but his agent driving this doesn't know the situation at all.

He has been left frustrated at being stuck at right back at times this season. Sterling started England's first game at last summer's World Cup in the No10 role so finds it hard to see that that playing as a full back makes Liverpool the best place for him as all the former players keep on saying.

It was Sterling who told Brendan Rodgers to his face that he wants to leave Liverpool. He believes the time is right rather than to wait for the remaining two years on his contract.

Liverpool missed the chance last season when it might have been easier to get Sterling to commit to a longer deal.

Instead, Liverpool did not act quickly enough just as they have dragged their heels on other new contracts for big stars like Gerrard, Jordan Henderson and Martin Skrtel.

Liverpool have persuaded Henderson to stay. But Sterling is a different character. He left QPR to move to Anfield when he was just 15 as Liverpool promised to help further his career.

Now he believes the time is right to leave Liverpool to further his career again.

In terms of destinations, its down to City, Arsenal and Chelsea in my opinion, what happens next we'll have to wait & see, it would be an interesting turn of events if he was to stay.