Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

I've been thinking and I think the best action for Liverpool is not to sell. If that means him winding down his contract and letting him leave on a free then so be it. We can't allow ourselves to be portrayed as a selling club to future youngsters to come through. Sterling has obviously been influenced by the Suarez saga. We need these dramatic and big name outgoings to end and we need to establish to the world that we still have some power over our players. I for one feel that submitting to the demands of a 20 year old whilst the club is in the current position that its in will have more damaging affects on it in the future than turning down £30m will. And if you call that holding him back against his will then refer to the part where he's tied to us by a contract. If he wanted this he should've thought more carefully about how long he committed to the club.

We are a selling club. In fact, most clubs outside the champions league are. He's been pretty poor these last few months. Why would we rather have that than potentially 50 mil?

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synyster

• ray1981

• Vendetta

• koplfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Liverpool Thread The end of another season and I just want to lay down some of my ideas, hopes and aspirations for our beloved LFC. It was a disappointing season, finishing 6th due to a

Re: Official Liverpool Thread I'm a complete Suarez convert. Couldn't care less what he's done in the past, or that he may have gone down slightly theatrically in the odd game or two. He absorbs qui

Re: Official Liverpool Thread Just compiled andy carroll's match highlights..

Posted Images

I can't believe the amount of fallout from this' date=' from the pundits, old club players and the fans alike. Genuinely shocked you have turned on him as much as you have.

Why is it so hard to believe that he wants to move on to win trophies & further his career, like Alonso, like Mascherano, like Suarez, hell arguably even like Torres?

It's a massive shame how sour things have gone, and it is easy to blame Sterling solely for this but it can't be all put on him, the club hasn't done anything to stop the sniping, or keep contract negotiations in-house, which arguably started this whole mess.

I found this very interesting from John Cross:

In terms of destinations, its down to City, Arsenal and Chelsea in my opinion, what happens next we'll have to wait & see, it would be an interesting turn of events if he was to stay.[/quote']

I agree with this, Sterling is just 20 he's not reached the top of his game yet.

I'd rather have him lining up in my team then against it, Would take him at Arsenal without even thinking twice.

I can't believe the amount of fallout from this' date=' from the pundits, old club players and the fans alike. Genuinely shocked you have turned on him as much as you have.

Why is it so hard to believe that he wants to move on to win trophies & further his career, like Alonso, like Mascherano, like Suarez, hell arguably even like Torres?

It's a massive shame how sour things have gone, and it is easy to blame Sterling solely for this but it can't be all put on him, the club hasn't done anything to stop the sniping, or keep contract negotiations in-house, which arguably started this whole mess.

I found this very interesting from John Cross:

In terms of destinations, its down to City, Arsenal and Chelsea in my opinion, what happens next we'll have to wait & see, it would be an interesting turn of events if he was to stay.[/quote']

Liverpool did everything to deflect criticism away from Sterling, this alone is the reason things have gone sour, Rodgers has put his rep on the line to keep him happy and he's thrown it in his face.

Hes disappointed that contract talks were leaked, all the leaks came from his agent and his agent alone. All the bad press stems from his agent, that BBC interview scripted by his agent, do you think a 20 year old is unhappy with being offered 100k? He's been defended so vigorously by the club that we even let him have a mid season break in order to refresh him.

Hes blaming the club and the fans for the bad press that him and his agent have brought on themselves. When a player angles a move in the manner he has after everything we've done for him then it's unsurprising that it's turned sour, his performances have been dreadful for months and he has an inflated idea of just how good he is right now and he'll see when he leaves, just as Torres and a whole list of attackers have done in the past.

Alonso moved because Rafa forced him out in order to get Barry, Masch was targeted by Barca and then Torres yes he won trophies but his career has spiralled downwards more than any player I've known and that should be a lesson in itself, the fans can forgive a foreign player for wanting to move to the two biggest clubs in the world, but a home grown player trying to angle himself to City or Arsenal? Won't be forgiven and I don't think any fan of another English club would disagree.

Liverpool did everything to deflect criticism away from Sterling' date=' this alone is the reason things have gone sour, Rodgers has put his rep on the line to keep him happy and he's thrown it in his face.

Hes disappointed that contract talks were leaked, all the leaks came from his agent and his agent alone. All the bad press stems from his agent, that BBC interview scripted by his agent, do you think a 20 year old is unhappy with being offered 100k? He's been defended so vigorously by the club that we even let him have a mid season break in order to refresh him.

Hes blaming the club and the fans for the bad press that him and his agent have brought on themselves. When a player angles a move in the manner he has after everything we've done for him then it's unsurprising that it's turned sour, his performances have been dreadful for months and he has an inflated idea of just how good he is right now and he'll see when he leaves, just as Torres and a whole list of attackers have done in the past.

Alonso moved because Rafa forced him out in order to get Barry, Masch was targeted by Barca and then Torres yes he won trophies but his career has spiralled downwards more than any player I've known and that should be a lesson in itself, the fans can forgive a foreign player for wanting to move to the two biggest clubs in the world, but a home grown player trying to angle himself to City or Arsenal? Won't be forgiven and I don't think any fan of another English club would disagree.[/quote']

Do you have an official web-link on how the negotiations were leaked & that this is all his agents fault? Genuinely asking, as would like to read it.

Another interesting article (by Chris Bascombe) I read said the below:

Players have wanted out of Anfield before (with increasing regularity) and it is a reflection of the times that so many are now passing through Merseyside. Whether it is Sterling, Luis Suarez, Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso, Liverpool has to start looking at how it is functioning and recognise its image of itself as one of Europe’s elite has been eroded. What used to be the ultimate destination is now a pitstop.

At the moment, I see it as he wants to win trophies, which isn't so hard to fathom that he has a better chance to do this away from Liverpool.

What are your views on the numerous ex-Liverpool players offering their opinions/biased criticism?

I put the hate down to purely being arrogant enough to think he's to big for Liverpool when he's done absolutely nothing up to yet. Doesn't turn up in the big games, bottled taking the pen in the cup and kicks a football like your little sister yet claims he wants to win things like the people around him aint good enough. Shows a complete lack of respect to the manager, the dressing room and the fans. If he wants out then good riddance...

Gotta love the fickle nature of fans......

For years we have had Stu say Sterling is overrated' date=' got so much to learn , hardly any end product etc etc now he is linked with City....

Massive Talent to big for Liverpool (do me a favour, your level of arrogance in your comment is bordering on United like status).

He is 20 years of age and although talented he really has it all to prove and if he can only look good when there are players around him to make him look good that dont bode well for his own individual talent level does it??

Sterling is talented but he still has a lot to prove, would I prefer him to sign a new contract and stay yes but if somebody comes in with silly money would I be devestated if he left, do i think the team would immensely suffer....no

This aint a Suarez, Gerrard, Alonso situation Liverpool will survive fine without him,[/quote']

I've just trawled through all of my posts on this thread that have mentioned Sterling and nowhere have I said that he's overrated. I have suggested he lacks some end product, but the ability is definitely there - it's his decision making that is the problem but that can improve around better team mates. I have also compared him to SWP, which might be what you were referring to, but he was one of the best young players in the league before his move to Chelsea and I rated him extremely highly. City are now in a position to make a similar gamble on Sterling fulfilling his potential as Chelsea were able to do back then. I'd hope we'd offer him more opportunities to do that as well considering he'd come in as a starter (SWP moved to a Chelsea that already had Robben, Cole and Duff established on the wings).

I've also not said he's too big for Liverpool and you will never see me say that. Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in world football. The problem is that you are a huge club because of your past achievements and Sterling needs to look at where he's best off spending his future. I don't think he's too big for Liverpool; I think he's too good for Liverpool.

I also think that selling him might be in Liverpool's best interests. Having around £40m to get a quality new striker in could be a good move. The problem is if you trust the people in charge to use the money wisely considering last summer.

So ....

Finally, the old good folks in here have finally got the glimpse of what few of Liverpool's supporters and I have been saying all season about Sterling.

The kid got potential alright, but his attitude stink to high heaven. He's been nothing short of malignant since the start of this season and people just refused to see him for what's he really is; I don't know if it is just because of his age, nationality or he plays for Liverpool (in case of Liverpool's fans).

Agreed with Synyster's points in regards of Sterling holidays and BBC interview and how lenient Rodgers was towards Sterling. I've been loudly complaining about how it seems like Sterling is undroppable from the first XI even though he play badly week in week out and even when we have plenty of players still eager to play. It just not bode well and part of me thinks that's one of the reason Sterling got the idea of him somewhat is bigger than the club and deserved to be treated like one of the world divas.

For a 20 years old, he does have some balls to dragged the club down this road - 'bullied by the club', my arse.

He got next to nothing to offer the club right now in exchange of the big fat contract based on this season; his end product is way off, his decision making is ridiculous at times and to top it all sometimes he does seems halfhearted playing. And the only thing he have to offer is his 'potential' tag and for that I really don't think he's worth all the hassle.

You can say that he will improve his football ability if he were to play with world class bracket kind of players, just like last season with Luis Suarez. But the thing with Luis Suarez is, he's not only improved Sterling, but the entire team have been playing exceptionally well during that time. But once we lost Luis Suarez as one would already guess, the entire team become poor, performance wise.

What I was going to say here is even during this poor run of performance, most of the players have showed a lot of will and characters and poured their heart out for the club, but same thing can't be said with Sterling. He's been mopping around from Day 1 if I'm being brutally honest and only after the contract talk broke down during mid season, that most of peoples really saw his true nature and his attitude even more.

And it sicken me to death watching him played like that and still got a place in the first XI.

Agreed with ray's point in regard of Stuart's opinion on Sterling ability pre and post City link. Football is a fickle world. Although, after the case of Mangala, I just assumed Stuart is always beaming with optimism when it comes to City's new (or possible) signing.

Also, in the midst of searching for Stuart's "Sterling - SWP" comments just to be fair to him and found that he never suggested Sterling would ended up like SWP :

Agreed. He reminds me a lot of SWP when he was young' date=' albeit not as spectacular.[/quote']

And it so happened that 2 post above that I suggested and made my opinion in regards of Sterling / Ibe :P :

I don't like Sterling. I like Ibe better. :)

and the reaction was ... :o:o even though I just merely stated which player I like more.

But it was all from 2 years ago, so no one could have predict this situation can happen at that time.

I want to see Sterling go as much as the next guy, but part of me want him to stay just to see if Stuart change his opinion in regards of Sterling ability, again. ;)

28DBC12800000578-3087625-image-a-44_1432040856782.jpg

28DBC1FC00000578-3087625-image-a-45_1432040867071.jpg

Sterling 18th in List with involvement this season with 7 goals 7 assists

Sterling only had 33 shots on target this season, the same as Coutinho, fewer than RVP, Pelle, Berahino, Lukaku and more

Sterling is in 91st place for successful passes with 919 passes

Sterling 18th in successful crosses - even Di Maria higher than him

28DBC12800000578-3087625-image-a-44_1432040856782.jpg

28DBC1FC00000578-3087625-image-a-45_1432040867071.jpg

Sterling 18th in List with involvement this season with 7 goals 7 assists

Sterling only had 33 shots on target this season' date=' the same as Coutinho, fewer than RVP, Pelle, Berahino, Lukaku and more

Sterling is in 91st place for successful passes with 919 passes

Sterling 18th in successful crosses - even Di Maria higher than him[/quote']

Stats like these are completely pointless.

• What is the definition of 'chances created'?
  • What is the definition of 'corners and crosses accuracy'. What if the cross was perfectly placed, yet the striker couldn't be bothered to attack the space in which the ball was crossed into?
  • The stat of assists is fairly misleading too as a misplaced shot that ends in the path of a striker who then scores is an assist. Or passing to a team mate 1 yard away who then bangs it in for 35 yards. Yet a perfectly weighted defence splitting pass which is then wasted by a striker is not counted as an assist.

Stats like these are completely pointless.

• What is the definition of 'chances created'?
  • What is the definition of 'corners and crosses accuracy'. What if the cross was perfectly placed' date=' yet the striker couldn't be bothered to attack the space in which the ball was crossed into?
    [*']The stat of assists is fairly misleading too as a misplaced shot that ends in the path of a striker who then scores is an assist. Or passing to a team mate 1 yard away who then bangs it in for 35 yards. Yet a perfectly weighted defence splitting pass which is then wasted by a striker is not counted as an assist.

Not a fan of Sterling by any means,BUT I fully agree with this post in regard stats.I hate it when people say,"but look at the stats",as demonstrated brilliantly in this post,stats can be misleading.

Tony Barrett on The Times today - 'Liverpool's mediocrity is leaving them at the mercy of vultures of many kinds'

Not since buying Liverpool in October 2010 has Fenway Sports Group (FSG) endured such a chastening 72 hours. On Saturday, supporters at Anfield reacted with derision to the suggestion that the club are heading in the right direction. Then yesterday there was a vicious double whammy as Michel Platini confirmed that the Financial Fair Play rules which attracted John W. Henry to purchase the club are to be relaxed and Raheem Sterling’s camp made it known that the winger wishes to leave.

Liverpool are vulnerable right now. They are mediocre and everyone knows it. The reality is that those at the top end of the football industry have known it for some time, hence senior scouts from Manchester City and Chelsea becoming Anfield regulars this season in the knowledge that Liverpool’s best players are there for the taking in a way that they haven’t been for half a century.

For all the opprobrium – some of it just, some of it not – that will inevitably be showered on Sterling and his representative, Aidy Ward, following yesterday’s events, the reality is that it is Liverpool’s weakness that allows players and agents to act in the way that they are. One of the club’s first and most important responsibilities is to make it a place that players find difficult to leave and it would be absurd to claim that is the case.

With no Champions League football to offer, only one trophy (the League Cup) won in the past nine seasons, just three title challenges since 1991, a transfer policy that prioritises the future over the present and an inability to compete for top players, Liverpool are failing to keep their end of the bargain in terms of how a big club are supposed to behave. Expectations have been lowered, almost dumbed down, and if the supporters can recognise that so too can the players.

Thus far, the strongest argument that Liverpool have been able to muster in their attempts to convince Sterling to remain at the club is that it is the best place for his development at this stage of his career; not that if he remains at Anfield he can fulfil his ambitions, that success is around the corner or that they will pay him as much as others are willing to. It is an argument rooted in weakness and lacking in conviction.

It could also be argued that it is flawed given that Sterling, a creative player, has spent the past 12 months playing in a team without a forward. It is all well and good playing regular first-team football but doing so in a dysfunctional team that stymies your best qualities is hardly developmental.

The reality is that Liverpool’s problems – their failure to finish in the top four, their struggle to hold on to their best players, the lack of supporters’ faith in the club’s direction and the pressure that is building on the Anfield hierarchy – are symptoms of the same cause: a flawed transfer strategy that it is causing untold damage. Signing potential rather than proven talent is undermining everything that Liverpool are supposed to stand for. It has reached the stage where one of their better young players is not prepared to hang around to see if their inferior young players will improve.

For all the accusations that Sterling is going the wrong way about forcing a move (and many of these are wholly legitimate), Liverpool are at the mercy of the ambition of others because they are either unwilling or unable to match their rivals’ ambition. That situation is only likely to become more severe now that FFP is about to be watered down. As Henry himself conceded recently, without FFP it becomes “very difficult” for Liverpool to compete. The established football food chain, ordered according to owners’ wealth, leaves them exposed. Rival clubs, avaricious agents and even their own supporters know this only too well.

FSG’s model is failing. Whether that is because it is fundamentally flawed or poorly executed is a moot point but what is not in question is that Liverpool’s entire football operation is in need of urgent evaluation. Until the things that are going wrong are put right, then Raheem Sterling won’t be the last to believe the grass is greener elsewhere, he’ll just be one of a number in an ever lengthening line who view Liverpool Football Club as a stepping stone rather than a final destination.

Tony Barrett on The Times today - 'Liverpool's mediocrity is leaving them at the mercy of vultures of many kinds'

Not since buying Liverpool in October 2010 has Fenway Sports Group (FSG) endured such a chastening 72 hours. On Saturday' date=' supporters at Anfield reacted with derision to the suggestion that the club are heading in the right direction. Then yesterday there was a vicious double whammy as Michel Platini confirmed that the Financial Fair Play rules which attracted John W. Henry to purchase the club are to be relaxed and Raheem Sterling’s camp made it known that the winger wishes to leave.

Liverpool are vulnerable right now. They are mediocre and everyone knows it. The reality is that those at the top end of the football industry have known it for some time, hence senior scouts from Manchester City and Chelsea becoming Anfield regulars this season in the knowledge that Liverpool’s best players are there for the taking in a way that they haven’t been for half a century.

For all the opprobrium – some of it just, some of it not – that will inevitably be showered on Sterling and his representative, Aidy Ward, following yesterday’s events, the reality is that it is Liverpool’s weakness that allows players and agents to act in the way that they are. One of the club’s first and most important responsibilities is to make it a place that players find difficult to leave and it would be absurd to claim that is the case.

With no Champions League football to offer, only one trophy (the League Cup) won in the past nine seasons, just three title challenges since 1991, a transfer policy that prioritises the future over the present and an inability to compete for top players, Liverpool are failing to keep their end of the bargain in terms of how a big club are supposed to behave. Expectations have been lowered, almost dumbed down, and if the supporters can recognise that so too can the players.

Thus far, the strongest argument that Liverpool have been able to muster in their attempts to convince Sterling to remain at the club is that it is the best place for his development at this stage of his career; not that if he remains at Anfield he can fulfil his ambitions, that success is around the corner or that they will pay him as much as others are willing to. It is an argument rooted in weakness and lacking in conviction.

It could also be argued that it is flawed given that Sterling, a creative player, has spent the past 12 months playing in a team without a forward. It is all well and good playing regular first-team football but doing so in a dysfunctional team that stymies your best qualities is hardly developmental.

The reality is that Liverpool’s problems – their failure to finish in the top four, their struggle to hold on to their best players, the lack of supporters’ faith in the club’s direction and the pressure that is building on the Anfield hierarchy – are symptoms of the same cause: a flawed transfer strategy that it is causing untold damage. Signing potential rather than proven talent is undermining everything that Liverpool are supposed to stand for. It has reached the stage where one of their better young players is not prepared to hang around to see if their inferior young players will improve.

For all the accusations that Sterling is going the wrong way about forcing a move (and many of these are wholly legitimate), Liverpool are at the mercy of the ambition of others because they are either unwilling or unable to match their rivals’ ambition. That situation is only likely to become more severe now that FFP is about to be watered down. As Henry himself conceded recently, without FFP it becomes “very difficult” for Liverpool to compete. The established football food chain, ordered according to owners’ wealth, leaves them exposed. Rival clubs, avaricious agents and even their own supporters know this only too well.

FSG’s model is failing. Whether that is because it is fundamentally flawed or poorly executed is a moot point but what is not in question is that Liverpool’s entire football operation is in need of urgent evaluation. Until the things that are going wrong are put right, then Raheem Sterling won’t be the last to believe the grass is greener elsewhere, he’ll just be one of a number in an ever lengthening line who view Liverpool Football Club as a stepping stone rather than a final destination.[/quote']

A very interesting read.

Not since buying Liverpool in October 2010 has Fenway Sports Group (FSG) endured such a chastening 72 hours. On Saturday' date=' supporters at Anfield reacted with derision to the suggestion that the club are heading in the right direction. Then yesterday there was a vicious double whammy as Michel Platini confirmed that the Financial Fair Play rules which attracted John W. Henry to purchase the club are to be relaxed and Raheem Sterling’s camp made it known that the winger wishes to leave.

FSG’s model is failing. Whether that is because it is fundamentally flawed or poorly executed is a moot point but what is not in question is that Liverpool’s entire football operation is in need of urgent evaluation. Until the things that are going wrong are put right, then Raheem Sterling won’t be the last to believe the grass is greener elsewhere, he’ll just be one of a number in an ever lengthening line who view Liverpool Football Club as a stepping stone rather than a final destination.[/quote']

Tough for some Liverpool fans to accept,but true.

Sterling heckled and booed at your club awards night' date=' which made it exceptionally awkward when he won young player of the year :o

That Tony Barrett article is spot on. Your owners loved FFP because it gave them an excuse to not invest in the club.[/quote']

But,but Brenda said they are a club of "class" and "integrity" .?:confused:

Sterling heckled and booed at your club awards night' date=' which made it exceptionally awkward when he won young player of the year :o

That Tony Barrett article is spot on. Your owners loved FFP because it gave them an excuse to not invest in the club.[/quote']

Well looks like they'll have to invest a bit more now. They invested a lot in the Red Sox earlier this year, hopefully they'll pull out all the stops at Liverpool

But' date='but Brenda said they are a club of "class" and "integrity" .?:confused:[/quote']

Sterling absolutely deserves to be heckled and booed at the way he's treated the club and its fans, considering the amount of support he had prior to his "show" claiming that he was "bullied."

Well looks like they'll have to invest a bit more now. They invested a lot in the Red Sox earlier this year' date=' hopefully they'll pull out all the stops at Liverpool

Sterling absolutely deserves to be heckled and booed at the way he's treated the club and its fans, considering the amount of support he had prior to his "show" claiming that he was "bullied."[/quote']

I'm just taking the "mickey" ;)

Well you see many Liverpool fans who voted aren't gifted with foresight.

Blown out of proportion, there were a few boos but there was lots more applause and let's be honest any club with a player in the news for that reason, some fans will boo...

The biggest mystery is how he won the Young Player of the year award, Sterling has been bang average for the majority of the season, Emre Can was a much more deserving winner of the award...

The even bigger mystery was that Lazar Markovic got on the nomination list :P

Emre Can having a better season than Sterling :D

Rodgers dragging his name through the mud, fans turning their back on him as soon as he wouldn't sign a new deal.

Cannot wait for him to leave that club and absolutely boss it when he starts trying again and playing alongside quality players and not having to play as a lone striker or as a wing back.