ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

Emre Can having a better season than Sterling :D

Rodgers dragging his name through the mud' date=' fans turning their back on him as soon as he wouldn't sign a new deal.

Cannot wait for him to leave that club and absolutely boss it when he starts trying again and playing alongside quality players and not having to play as a lone striker or as a wing back.[/quote']

Emre Can has been comfortably better than Sterling this season

Sober up mate. Or remember when you loved Sterling before he wanted to leave the cult.

Have you even watched us this season? Emre Can has been quality bar the odd game, he looks a class act. Sterling has been pretty poor this second half of the season, not saying its all his fault, but he's not done himself any favours with his performances. He may have been played out of position, but he's gone back to the stage where he looks weak and is afraid to take players on. If somebody offered us 50 odd mil for him we would be beyond stupid not to take it. And I've said this all along.

As we all know, Liverpool Football Club is special. Different. Classy. Unique. Special. Unique. Classy. Unique. Iconic. Unique. Special. Unique. Clubby. Clubbish. Clubesque. Special. Unique. Increasingly irrelevant. Over the hill. Past-it. Yesterday’s news. Special. Unique. Iconic. Unique. Special. Special. Special. Unique. Liverpool Football Club are special. And unique. And special. And classy. They’re special and specially unique and uniquely specially and specially special and uniquely classy and they have a different way of doing things, you wouldn’t understand, you just wouldn’t, because you’re not special, or classy, or unique, you’re not Liverpool Football Club, and you wouldn’t understand, so don’t even bother, just accept it, they’re the best football team in the tra-la-la-la land.

Liverpool Football Club’s specialness and uniqueness and classiness naturally places them in a position to pat lesser clubs on the head and let them know of their place in the food chain. Clubs, say, like Southampton, who were browbeaten into selling Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren to mighty Liverpool last summer. “They have a choice as a club,” Liverpool’s head guru, Brendan Rodgers, roared last August. “They don’t have to sell. You have a choice. Maybe Southampton’s objectives have changed. They were looking to be a [big Cup] club, I believe. They obviously wanted to change. There might be one or two others who leave. It’s just the way it works.” It’s. Just. The. Way. It. Works.

Words to live by. Poetry in motion that comes to mind now that Raheem Sterling is busy letting Liverpool know that the way it works is that he would like to leave in the summer, maybe join a bigger club, play for a team who actually have a chance of winning something in the near future, that there’s only so many times he can hear about the Miraculous Miracle of Istanbul before he’s forced to go all Van Gogh on his ears.

Treason! Naturally Sterling’s desire to play for a good team has been met with fury and The Fiver assumes he has spent the day locked in Melwood’s Re-education Chamber, a crack team of Phil Thompson, John Bishop and John Aldridge taking it in turns to hammer home the uniqueness and specialness and classiness of Liverpool Football Club, making sure Sterling knows that he will forever walk alone if he joins Manchester City, a terrifying prospect indeed. It’s just the way it works.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/19/its-just-the-way-it-works

Have you even watched us this season? Emre Can has been quality bar the odd game' date=' he looks a class act. Sterling has been pretty poor this second half of the season, not saying its all his fault, but he's not done himself any favours with his performances. He may have been played out of position, but he's gone back to the stage where he looks weak and is afraid to take players on. If somebody offered us 50 odd mil for him we would be beyond stupid not to take it. And I've said this all along.[/quote']

Have been to four of your games live and watched about 20 in total I'd imagine. How many games you get to son?

Please don't start overrating him already' date=' It's too early for Sterling v2.0[/quote']

But then again the likes of Loftus-Cheek, Jesse Lingard, and Matt Targett are in the team.

I'm not overly fussed, I'd rather have Ibe not play in the U21 tournament.

But then again the likes of Loftus-Cheek' date=' Jesse Lingard, and Matt Targett are in the team.

I'm not overly fussed, I'd rather have Ibe not play in the U21 tournament.[/quote']

It's the attitude of believing he deserves to be there over anyone else, no one would bat an eye lid if either of the players you mentioned were going or not.

It's the attitude of believing he deserves to be there over anyone else' date=' no one would bat an eye lid if either of the players you mentioned were going or not.[/quote']

To be absolutely fair, he has definitely outperformed the likes of Lingard and Loftus-Cheek. It may or may not be good experience, but then again, the risk of a serious injury far outweighs the potential benefits.

To be absolutely fair' date=' he has definitely outperformed the likes of Lingard and Loftus-Cheek. It may or may not be good experience, but then again, the risk of a serious injury far outweighs the potential benefits.[/quote']

They don't play in the same position though?

To be absolutely fair' date=' he has definitely outperformed the likes of Lingard and Loftus-Cheek. It may or may not be good experience, but then again, the risk of a serious injury far outweighs the potential benefits.[/quote']

Yeah but who was called up who plays in the same position as Ibe? not sure Lingard does?,but Loftus-Cheek doesn't..

Yeah but who was called up who plays in the same position as Ibe? not sure Lingard does?' date='but Loftus-Cheek doesn't..[/quote']

Lingard is a CAM/CM, Going off Ibe being a Winger/Forward

the other forwards selected consist of:

Bamford

Berahino

Ings

Kane

Woodrow

Afobe

All the forwards seem fine to me. I'm not going to pretend I'm aware of all of the Midfielders in the squad and their ability, but I presume they're mostly there due to merit.

Lingard is a CAM/CM' date=' Going off Ibe being a Winger/Forward

Bamford

Berahino

Ings

Kane

Woodrow

Afobe

All the forwards seem fine to me. I'm not going to pretend I'm aware of all of the Midfielders in the squad and their ability, but I presume they're mostly there due to merit.[/quote']

Those guys are pure strikers, the number nine types. Ibe is a winger. Also Lingard I would consider to play in the same position as Ibe. The wingers consist of:

Nathan Redmond

Jesse Lingard

Benik Afobe

I'm actually thinking that the U21 squad won't play with wingers or play a very narrow team unless they use Ward-Prowse on the wing?

Those guys are pure strikers' date=' the number nine types. Ibe is a winger. Also Lingard I would consider to play in the same position as Ibe. The wingers consist of:

Nathan Redmond

Jesse Lingard

Benik Afobe

I'm actually thinking that the U21 squad won't play with wingers or play a very narrow team unless they use Ward-Prowse on the wing?[/quote']

Lingard is definitely more Central not very comparable to Ibe, and I wasn't too sure on Nathan Redmond's position so thanks. They look to be going with a narrow side yes, with two wide players at most.

Lingard is a CAM/CM' date=' Going off Ibe being a Winger/Forward

Bamford

Berahino

Ings

Kane

Woodrow

Afobe

All the forwards seem fine to me. I'm not going to pretend I'm aware of all of the Midfielders in the squad and their ability, but I presume they're mostly there due to merit.[/quote']

Lingard can play on the wings, that day he injured himself for a long time, can't remember who against but he was on the wing

Lingard can play on the wings' date=' that day he injured himself for a long time, can't remember who against but he was on the wing[/quote']

Yes, just like Gerrard could play on the wings, and Rooney could play on the wings.

ok liverpool fans if you had to choose to sell sterling to one of your rival who would you pick for 30 million as it looks like ( l still remember when he was worth 50 million :P)

who would you pick?

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester united

Manchester city

everyone knows he is not good enough for Real madrid, barca or bayern munich so he wont go there

honest opinion

ok liverpool fans if you had to choose to sell sterling to one of your rival who would you pick for 30 million as it looks like ( l still remember when he was worth 50 million :P)

who would you pick?

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester united

Manchester city

everyone knows he is not good enough for Real madrid' date=' barca or bayern munich so he wont go there

honest opinion[/quote']

Not liverpool fan, but id say Arsenal, because at least you'd know hes not going to win anything anytime soon :rolleyes:

who would you pick?

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester united

Manchester city

everyone knows he is not good enough for Real madrid' date=' barca or bayern munich so he wont go there

honest opinion[/quote']

Not a Liverpool fan, but probably City, as he is unlikely to shine there, and he'll get ruined. B)

I don't see how he'll get first-team football at any of the clubs, Arsenal have too many attackers, Chelsea and Utd have enough wingers. City makes sense, but he'll be mad to go there, considering their record with English players.

who would you pick?

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester united

Manchester city

honest opinion[/quote']

City///////////////

Hope it all gets resolved as soon as possible for the benefit of the club moving forward.

as talented as Sterling is, he dont owe us nothing & has no emotional tie with the club

BUT. memories seem short but didnt a certain Wayne Rooney hold Man Utd to ransom a few seasons ago?

Lets just move him on if he really does wish to further his career and win things.

How losing him though will send us 'downhill' i cannot see, more rubbish being spewed from the United trolls here......... they should be far more worried about there 2 time player of the season and by far best player leaving...whose the 'selling club' now. How many games has he saved you from embarrassment this season! He must be worth 15- 21 points alone this season!

Anyway. The Sterling situation is completely different to last summer with Suarez. Suarez is and was irreplaceable. Simply as there is no one like him available

Sterling however, there are several like for like replacements readily available.

Theo Walcott offers the same pace and style off the wing or through the middle.

Pedro.

Quote from Telegraph:

Barcelona forward Pedro Rodriguez is being offered to Premier League clubs for just £7m.

Again, another like for like, and at 7M a cut price.

Curveball could be Yannick Bolasie. Ive watched him for several seasons, he is inconsistent but on his day he looks top class. But wouldnt be happy paying the muted 15M fee for him.

Juan Cuadrado. A player we looked at before an eye watering move to Chelsea which ultimately has flopped. Why not take him off there hands?

And lets not forget, we already have several decent wingers in the squad, Ibe, Lallana & Markovic, plus the next wave of talented wide players, particularly Harry Wilson, Ryan Kent & Sheyi Ojo. Its not a crisis gap in the squad we have to fill.

We also have to replace Gerrard. Again there is like for like deals out there. Read a couple times this week we have actually bid for Arturo Vidal.

Liverpool are set to sign Juventus star Arturo Vidal this summer, according to The Express.

It seems the Reds are chasing Vidal as their replacement for Steven Gerrard, and are already believed to have submitted a £14.4 million offer. Juventus are open to selling, but want £25m.

I see this as a marquee signing and a very positive move by the club. Also as it smacks United in the face. However the fee is well off and likely to not gather any pace than a rumour.

I really want us to bring in James Milner, like Stevie he is a model pro and would bring winning experience and a true professional conduct to our 'young' dressing room. IMO a good 'role model' figure in the side now Gerrard isnt around.

Fabian Delph is due to take the next step too since breaking into the England setup, good box to box CM with an eye for goal a la Gerrard. Would be worth testing the waters with Villa as Sherwood would look to rebuild his squad, but probably be better to stay at Villa for another year.

Nigel De Jong is on a free. Short term deal for a pitbull player. Would really beef up the midfield IMO and a leader on the pitch. Something we a DESPERATELY short on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sterling cash would be a blessing in disguise. Due to have a substantial war chest for signings this summer with TV deal and a clearout of squad players, no doubt money will be there to be spent.

If Sterling is sold we MUST buy Benteke straight off the bat. On his day he is unplayable and World Class. Be interesting to have him link up with Divock Origi too which would help develop his talent too.

In my ideal situation, I hope the following deals are wrapped up quickly if the Sterling goes through

Danny Ings

James Milner

Christian Benteke

On my radar for us id like to add as ive discussed some above..

Theo Walcott

Pedro

Fabian Delph

Nigel De Jong (free agent this summer)

Absolutely need a 2nd GK & a RB

Personally, and most wont agree, but i dont think we need to buy for the defence. Persevere with Srktel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure.

Its core players we need more up top and in the middle of the park. Its not we are leaking goals, we were last season, the problem is putting the ball in the net. Address this over the summer and i think we can go again next season with a real optimistic chance of breaking top 4 again.

Be interested to hear what others targets should be.