ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

Re: Official Liverpool Thread

We are rubbish. We know that. But so are United. If we were even half decent we would finish top 4 ahead of them. As bad as we have been, all it takes is for us to sign 2/3 actual good players, get a good coach who will play players in their right positions and we will compete.

If United can do it then so can we. People will say "yeah but they could afford all the best players!" They paid stupid money for Di Maria and Falcao. They didnt get United into top 4, it was their other players who stepped up. Their financial prowess and big signings didnt get them top 4 so we dont neccessarily need that either. We don't need expensive star players, we need players who will actually perform with a manager who will reinvigorate the players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we will get top 4. But United are not a good side, so its not inconcievable to say we could overtake them again.

We are rubbish. We know that. But so are United. If we were even half decent we would finish top 4 ahead of them. As bad as we have been' date=' all it takes is for us to sign 2/3 actual good players, get a good coach who will play players in their right positions and we will compete.

If United can do it then so can we. People will say "yeah but they could afford all the best players!" They paid stupid money for [b']Di Maria and Falcao. They didnt get United into top 4[/b], it was their other players who stepped up. Their financial prowess and big signings didnt get them top 4 so we dont neccessarily need that either. We don't need expensive star players, we need players who will actually perform with a manager who will reinvigorate the players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we will get top 4. But United are not a good side, so its not inconcievable to say we could overtake them again.

United are improving side, they needed to fix Moyes mess

Bit in bold - Di Maria is the 2nd on assists behind Fabregas with 11, Maybe his head isn't in football atm as Burglary

Falcao wasn't a big signing costing 6mil to loan n 20mil wages

United are improving side' date=' they needed to fix Moyes mess

Bit in bold - Di Maria is the 2nd on assists behind Fabregas with 11, Maybe his head isn't in football atm as Burglary

Falcao wasn't a big signing costing 6mil to loan n 20mil wages[/quote']

Fabregas has 18 assists.

Rodgers says if the owners want him to go he'll go.

Funny just a week ago he was 150% sure he was going to be the manager next season.

I like the man but I think this job was too big too soon for him, his tactics have been mind boggling all season for all the wrong reasons.

Rodgers says if the owners want him to go he'll go.

Funny just a week ago he was 150% sure he was going to be the manager next season.

I like the man but I think this job was too big too soon for him' date=' his tactics have been mind boggling all season for all the wrong reasons.[/quote']

He is very naive as a coach imo,but he is not the only one.

He is very naive as a coach imo' date='but he is not the only one.[/quote']

He'll learn undoubtedly, I just think the jump from Swansea (At the time) to Liverpool was a huge one to make, it was the same reason the fans didn't want Martinez, both of them have this season proved that they still have a lot to learn. I don't think Liverpool should be a club where a manager learns his trade, we need a manager with pedigree to come in and motivate this team.

Rafa and Klopp are odds on.

He'll learn undoubtedly' date=' I just think the jump from Swansea (At the time) to Liverpool was a huge one to make, it was the same reason the fans didn't want Martinez, both of them have this season proved that they still have a lot to learn. I don't think Liverpool should be a club where a manager learns his trade, we need a manager with pedigree to come in and motivate this team.

Rafa and Klopp are odds on.[/quote']

not the biggest fan of Rafa,however he will make Liverpool harder to beat and give them more steel.

I'm not saying we'll finish there next season but you're confidently writing off that we won't make it there for the considerable future on the back of a one-off result. It's arrogant and idiotic.

United have played like tosh all season' date=' Liverpool finish like 7 points behind without a striker all season after selling their best player and spending almost a £100 million less and you've had no Europe to contend with all season and went out of both cups early on. That's not far behind, this is almost the same squad that won a league last season, we've had an average season simple as, it's not the end of the club or our Top 4 hopes forever. This result isn't surprising why? Because it's been plainly obvious since the Hull game that these players are on their holidays and Rodgers has lost the dressing room.

We need strengthening and hopefully the players who have struggled will have settled next season. I also hope the club takes a new direction with regards to transfers and the manager.

You're making predictions for next season on the back of this result and before the transfer window has even opened, it's beyond stupid.[/quote']

So you agree they probably won't finish there? I am just more confident about it and willing to accept what is most likely to happen. If you think it's arrogant you'd bet the other way that Liverpool would be top 4 next season, if not then it suggests you think the odds are not in Liverpool's favour and therefore that it is more than likely they will not be in the top 4. That makes my claim a lot less outlandish than you'd like to admit.

The gap will get bigger, again we'll wait and see who is right.

You think Liverpool had injury problems? Look at United's the most in the league, new manager, new players and all the pressure on for a top 4 finish. Yes we played awful but look at the big games, the ones that matter, we were the best side in those 6 pointers and that's how we got 4th.

If the players are on their holidays and Rodgers has lost the dressing room do you really think the club is stable at all at the moment?

One of your better (not best) players wants to leave at 20 years old and if your manager is sacked then the club once again has to rebuild which will take longer to do with philosophies etc...

Look I'm just being realistic and I know it's coming off as a bit brash because of the defeat still hurting so I understand but nobody here has come out and said that yeah Liverpool will finish in the top 4, nobody feels confident about it because too much depends on things that just aren't likely to happen.

No I'm making predictions based on your entire season, your previous history of transfers and how your players are acting. Right now none of them strike me as top 4 traits. Again if you think it's beyond stupid go on record saying you think Liverpool will finish in the top 4?

I'm just being honest about Liverpool's chances right now things look very grim and I don't believe they'll make the signings they need to succeed nor do I think the current squad is capable of battling against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United who will all improve better than Liverpool IMO. As I say you can't disprove it until next season and then we'll see who is beyond stupid (which BTW I don't think any of you are I just think you're upset about how the clubs' direction is turning for the worse and are finding it hard to accept which I understand completely)

We are rubbish. We know that. But so are United. If we were even half decent we would finish top 4 ahead of them. As bad as we have been' date=' all it takes is for us to sign 2/3 actual good players, get a good coach who will play players in their right positions and we will compete.

If United can do it then so can we. People will say "yeah but they could afford all the best players!" They paid stupid money for Di Maria and Falcao. They didnt get United into top 4, it was their other players who stepped up. Their financial prowess and big signings didnt get them top 4 so we dont neccessarily need that either. We don't need expensive star players, we need players who will actually perform with a manager who will reinvigorate the players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we will get top 4. But United are not a good side, so its not inconcievable to say we could overtake them again.[/quote']

Yet United finished ahead of you and spent what they could to ensure that. Di Maria like it or not contributed something to the team with his assists and some goals early on in the season that got us points, I'd agree Falcao however didn't do much for us.

You say if Liverpool were half decent you'd finish ahead of United but again you didn't so what does that suggest? What 2/3 players do you honestly think are going to arrive at Liverpool and turn you into a top 4 club? Messi, Ronaldo and Neuer?

A new coach too, again it will take time for him to settle and the player to adjust to new styles of play...

Every club needs players who will perform but usually the already good players perform well and the rubbish ones don't hence why people pay more for better players.

I completely agree with you Manchester United are not a good side and we are well behind Chelsea at the moment. But look at how many injuries we had to key players especially Carrick, United were most affected by injuries out of every club in the league and still finished 4th they had more reasons to fail but didn't.

Yes the football hasn't been great save for a few stunning performances but they achieved what they needed to and will strengthen in the summer, LVG has said so and we've already signed up Depay (who would have been a nice replacement for Sterling IMO).

Right now United have gone the right direction, up 3 places and Liverpool down 4 places the wrong direction. Add to that that both sides will be playing in Europe next season who do you think will struggle more?

The fact is Liverpool aren't a top 4 side anymore and most of you deep down agree because otherwise you'd be telling me exactly who they'll sign to make them top 4 and betting against me.

You can call it arrogant but you know that it's more likely Liverpool won't be in the top 4 and if anyone disagrees please explain why you think Liverpool have a better chance than United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester City because I'd love to hear the argument.

I'm simply not going to read an essay

Because you know, as hard as it is to admit, that I am right.

I'll give you the briefest version I can so you understand my points.

Manchester United This Season = Injuries + New manager + Big Money = Top 4

Liverpool This Season = Less Injuries + Same Manager + Less Money = 6th

I feel sympathetic (genuine)

Liverpool Next Season = New Manager? + Less Money + Injuries? = Not Top 4

Manchester United Next Season = Same Manager + More Money + Injuries? = Top 4

Finally Liverpool + 2/3 new players + Reality = Not Top 4 (unless you can suggest otherwise)

Might be a minority on here; but I want Brendan Rodgers to stay next season.

There is plenty of reason why I want him as our managers next season, but right now on top of my head;

1. We can't afford to search for a new manager, and then restart this so called 'club in transition' process again. We nearly there, if not only for shambles transfers and injuries plaque our player. If we indeed go through the 'club in transition' process again - we might fall behind even more than we are now.

2. Rodgers mold these young squad, and should see it through - I'd say give him time, at least one more season.

4. It felt so right last season going with BR for couple of seasons more and nothing change for me, yet. You don't turned from something good to something crap in just one season.

5. The FFP is gone, the owner should be looking to invest into the team right now, with Brendan still incharged he should know what is lacking, what the team missing and what's he needed. But with new manager, it's hard to say really, he will obviously need to start from scratch and we know that scratch bit might be another 200M worth of transfer budget.

6. The thing is, it's been awhile since we enjoy good attacking, fast flowing football in recent years; I believe with a spot on transfers next season could be exciting, albeit not like last years, but certainly can't be bad like this season.

The 6-1 lost doesn't really changed anything apart from going 5th place to 6th place. The players obviously already in their holiday mood, with nothing really to play for (apart from Gerrard), and it's not like Britannia Stadium is our usual 3 pointer match.

Would anyone still want him out if we win, instead of losing? I don't think so.

Because you know' date=' as hard as it is to admit, that I am right.

I'll give you the briefest version I can so you understand my points.

Manchester United This Season = Injuries + New manager + Big Money = Top 4

Liverpool This Season = Less Injuries + Same Manager + Less Money = 6th

I feel sympathetic (genuine)

Liverpool Next Season = New Manager? + Less Money + Injuries? = Not Top 4

Manchester United Next Season = Same Manager + More Money + Injuries? = Top 4

Finally Liverpool + 2/3 new players + Reality = Not Top 4 (unless you can suggest otherwise)[/quote']

No because I literally cannot be bothered to read pages of writing, I get enough of that at uni.

It's a complete none argument, football is too unpredictable for you to promise anything, you might turn out to be right next year, but nobody knows, there's a summer of work ahead for all clubs.

It's an utterly pointless debate, the season has only just finished.

Might be a minority on here; but I want Brendan Rodgers to stay next season.

There is plenty of reason why I want him as our managers next season' date=' but right now on top of my head;

1. We can't afford to search for a new manager, and then restart this so called 'club in transition' process again. We nearly there, if not only for shambles transfers and injuries plaque our player. If we indeed go through the 'club in transition' process again - we might fall behind even more than we are now.

2. Rodgers mold these young squad, and should see it through - I'd say give him time, at least one more season.

4. It felt so right last season going with BR for couple of seasons more and nothing change for me, yet. You don't turned from something good to something crap in just one season.

5. The FFP is gone, the owner should be looking to invest into the team right now, with Brendan still incharged he should know what is lacking, what the team missing and what's he needed. But with new manager, it's hard to say really, he will obviously need to start from scratch and we know that scratch bit might be another 200M worth of transfer budget.

6. The thing is, it's been awhile since we enjoy good attacking, fast flowing football in recent years; I believe with a spot on transfers next season could be exciting, albeit not like last years, but certainly can't be bad like this season.

The 6-1 lost doesn't really changed anything apart from going 5th place to 6th place. The players obviously already in their holiday mood, with nothing really to play for (apart from Gerrard), and it's not like Britannia Stadium is our usual 3 pointer match.

Would anyone still want him out if we win, instead of losing? I don't think so.[/quote']

1) Potentially agree but also disagree, that team against Stoke did not look like they were playing for the shirt or the manager, might have lost his dressing room IMO.

2) Rodgers said judge me after 3 years and that if you spend over £100m you should challenge for a title, now is the time to judge his project, my diagnosis, failure (but not his fault the owners for not investing properly)

3) You missed out number 3? Would have been funnier had you missed 4th ;)

4)You do if you lose one of the best players in the world, Suarez was massive for the club. With Suarez here you'd have top 4 and a chance of more.

5) Money that the board won't spend, or at least won't spend on the quality they need.

6) You can play attractive football, but I think most would like to see Champions League again, I know players would rather that too because Arsenal offer both and a London lifestyle.

The loss shows just how far the players are gone, they can't be bothered to fight in Steven Gerrard's last game at the club, I'm glad he scored by the way, he deserves to hold his head up high knowing he delayed the decline of this great and special club for as long as he could. A true legend of Liverpool.

No because I literally cannot be bothered to read pages of writing' date=' I get enough of that at uni.

It's a complete none argument, football is too unpredictable for you to promise anything, you might turn out to be right next year, but nobody knows, there's a summer of work ahead for all clubs.

It's an utterly pointless debate, the season has only just finished.[/quote']

Ok, I won't mention that particular topic unless someone else does you know my views and I know yours even though you're hiding the true feelings deep down in a nostalgia protected chest... fortunately it's easy to unlock Liverpool's defences so most can see the contents :P

Season review anyone?

At Ben, basically my point is that United aren't a good side so it doesn't need to take much to be better than them. We're not better, because of Rodgers, injuries and poor signings. While I'm not saying we will be top 4, it doesnt mean next season will be a write off as well. Just look at Southampton, they were excellent until it came towards the end of the season and could have finished top 4 due to good signings and playing like a good team. If United were a consistenly good side then I'd agree that we have no hope. However, my point is that although we've been poor, the opposition is also not very good, so if we are shrewd in the market and play like a team again it isnt impossible. Because like it or not there are no guarentees in football.

Just finished reading today's post. But holy smokes, that 7 pages worth of rubbish.

Should have known about troll going on force, but some post are downright ridiculous. Jezz.

It will leave a lasting impression' date=' when players look at where they might want to move to they'll see this last game, the lack of effort, the disjointedness, they'll see both Gerrard and Sterling leaving, no good player is going to want to join that...

This result is bigger than just a game it sends a message and not the right one...

I fear for Rodger's job.[/quote']

Get a grip.

Why do you always blown things out of proportion?

At Ben' date=' basically my point is that United aren't a good side so it doesn't need to take much to be better than them. We're not better, because of Rodgers, injuries and poor signings. While I'm not saying we will be top 4, it doesnt mean next season will be a write off as well. Just look at Southampton, they were excellent until it came towards the end of the season and could have finished top 4 due to good signings and playing like a good team. If United were a consistenly good side then I'd agree that we have no hope. However, my point is that although we've been poor, the opposition is also not very good, so if we are shrewd in the market and play like a team again it isnt impossible. Because like it or not there are no guarentees in football.[/quote']

I completely agree United this season are not a good side, check the United thread an I gave our season a 5.9/10 for all factors... we've been very poor.

United also aren't playing better because of a new manager and injuries.

Equally though Liverpool have been worse, and so are in a worse position going into the next season, so in theory they have to improve more than United do.

The problem Liverpool will have is that other clubs are in a better position to strengthen, even a weak United side will improve a lot with the cash they have available and Champions League football which is why I am so confident Liverpool won't get top 4.

Just finished reading today's post. But holy smokes' date=' that 7 pages worth of rubbish.

Should have known about troll going on force, but some post are downright ridiculous. Jezz.

Get a grip.

Why do you always blown things out of proportion?[/quote']

I'm right though and certainly not trolling as my points are valid, if I were trolling I'd just say LOL or something stupid.

That performance does not make the club look good to lose so heavily on the last day. It could well put off targets especially with Gerrard gone and Sterling likely to leave.

As I've said before suggest to me the 2/3 players Liverpool could realistically sign that would save them and I'd happily be convinced otherwise.