Official Liverpool Thread

ian neller

Brendan Rodgers is set to continue as Liverpool manager after he held positive discussions with the club executive at a meeting in the city centre on Tuesday.

The Northern Irishman’s position was under review following a disappointing season in which Liverpool finished in sixth place on 62 points, 25 behind the champions, Chelsea.

Rodgers met Tom Werner, the chairman, and Fenway Sports Group president, Mike Gordon, for talks and it is understood the manager impressed with plans to markedly improve the team next season. This has led to a firm sense he will remain in place.

Among the players he wishes to recruit to strengthen the squad is Manchester City’s James Milner. However it is understood that the 29-year-old, who would be available on a free transfer, is yet to make any decision regarding his future. Although Milner is a priority signing for Rodgers the deal, if it does happen, may not be finalised in the coming days.

- The Guardian

Will Rodgers stick with a formation? can you cope with Thursday football?

Can is probably one of the players that needs to bulk up the least. And there does not necessarily have to be a set "holding mid". Plenty of teams have had very good success without one if it is made up for by harding working box to box midfielders, which we have (and the likely addition of Milner will only reinforce that). For example last year Manchester City won the title with Fernandinho and Yaya Toure as their two central midfielders. Neither of their roles was to specifically be a defensive midfielder, but they coordinated in a way that if one went forward the other would cover. Also look at the teams Andrea Pirlo has played in. He is not a 'bulked' holding midfielder but he had two hard working players in Gennaro Gattuso and Clarance Seedorf either side of him. Same thing goes for his time at Juve with Pogba and Vidal next to him. Of course it's all down to how the manager sets his team up to play but if it's attacking, fast-flowing football that Rodgers wants then taking tips from Pellegrini isn't a bad idea.

Milner's not a bad start I guess. Hopefully he does a little bit better than the last time we signed a player from City on a free. :rolleyes:

More than a very good start. He is a leader, workhorse, can operate wide, versatile, he is vastly underrated.

I think we have pulled off a real coup here.

Srktel looking to leave.

United has the money to build

Look at Coutinho assists and goals in the league' date=' even Sterling and Henderson contributed more[/quote']

Anybody who's seen Liverpool this season will tell you Coutinho has had a better season (did he win Liverpool player of the year out of interest?)

If the game was all about stats no-one would bother watching live games (although if you like stats check Squawka which compares many facets of the game, not just simple goals and assists. I just checked out Coutinho's score this season and he beats both of them as anticipated)

Anybody who's seen Liverpool this season will tell you Coutinho has had a better season (did he win Liverpool player of the year out of interest?)

If the game was all about stats no-one would bother watching live games (although if you like stats check Squawka which compares many facets of the game' date=' not just simple goals and assists. [b']I just checked out Coutinho's score this season and he beats both of them as anticipated[/b])

Goals n assists wins you games - Henderson n Sterling did more

That website is a joke - Henderson and Sterling still beat Coutinho on passing accuracy , Chances Created, Goals and even them 2 were moved about during the season

That website is a joke - Henderson and Sterling still beat Coutinho on passing accuracy ' date=' Chances Created, Goals and even them 2 were moved about during the season[/quote']

There's no point arguing when only certain stats and not performance are your interest.

Not only was Coutinho voted Liverpool player of the year but he was also shortlisted for the PFA. I think that says it all really.

That website is a joke - Henderson and Sterling still beat Coutinho on passing accuracy ' date=' Chances Created, Goals and even them 2 were moved about during the season[/quote']

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

There's no point arguing when only certain stats and not performance are your interest.

Not only was Coutinho voted Liverpool player of the year but he was also shortlisted for the PFA. I think that says it all really.

He might of done some good performances but when people look back in 3 years time, will they look at performances or goal/assists? I think goal and assists

Idk why he was shortlisted, there was better players ahead of him like Cazorla or Fabregas

Thank tom for calling me smart

He might of done some good performances but when people look back in 3 years time' date=' will they look at performances or goal/assists? I think goal and assists

Idk why he was shortlisted, there was better players ahead of him like Cazorla or Fabregas

Thank tom for calling me smart[/quote']

You aren't smart you're a genius.

I think you mean fortunately. And then that doesn't actually make sense because he would be smart to swap Walcott and Gibbs for Sterling.

Oh do give up. I wouldn't swap Gibbs for Sterling, let alone Walcott on top. Anyone who thinks Sterling is worth more than that needs help. Which leads me on to my next point, how much are you paying Milner?! Dear oh dear.

He might of done some good performances but when people look back in 3 years time' date=' will they look at performances or goal/assists? I think goal and assists

Thank tom for calling me smart[/quote']

Matic must be a terrible player! he only got 1 goal all season

Do you even watch any matches? Coutinho creates and dictates play, unlocks defences for others to play in the final third of the pitch

Incorrect. Clean sheets and solid defences win you games

Squawka a joke? OH DEAR, OH DEAR, OH DEAR...

go back under your rock

betting suspended on Danny Ings, could be imminent.

Kovacic has a 18M fee and we are in the lead to secure him

Benteke talks have been rumoured to begun

Adam Bogdan supposedly to come in as number 2 GK. Free Agent.

Milner, Ings, Kovacic & Benteke represents decent business IMO so far, plus Clyne deal could be done.

Wouldnt rule out more signings, plus money freed up from sales. Lazio looking at Borini

Oh do give up. I wouldn't swap Gibbs for Sterling' date=' let alone Walcott on top. Anyone who thinks Sterling is worth more than that needs help. Which leads me on to my next point, how much are you paying Milner?! Dear oh dear. [/quote']

When did this become the comedy thread. Trying to argue that we are overpaying for Milner is like trying to watch TV with a blindfold on. Please become Arsenal manager and keep Gibbs away from Liverpool.

Oh do give up. I wouldn't swap Gibbs for Sterling' date=' let alone Walcott on top. Anyone who thinks Sterling is worth more than that needs help. Which leads me on to my next point, how much are you paying Milner?! Dear oh dear. [/quote']

You're having a giggle, int ya?

I hope Liverpool don't sign Gibbs to be fair. Having signed Milner, they're clearly still choosing to be clueless. They can only make room for so much guff.