ian neller

Official Liverpool Thread

I'm laughing at the scoring of liverpool vs United' date=' may I say did United actually want Frimino? its all media talk.[/quote']

yeah and you in particular treat all media talks as gospel!

looks like Clyne will join, another player Utd , in your opinion - now 'probably didnt want'

Really encouraging this early business, and reports say the Firmino signing has no affect on the stance of whether we sell Sterling or not

Unsure what the fee was now, sources say paid 21-25 up front, rest in add ons to total 29M, still in todays market thats a fair rate for a player of this calibre who has proven himself in the top flight.

Enjoyed listining about Firmino reports from the media yesterday, a quiet shy kid who plays for the love of the game. Can float about the front 3 attacking positions - which suits us more - and can score different types of goals. His workrate was praised too, now i dont want to say he is Luis Suarez but i think we have gone and bought him as he is a similiar type of player. Defends from the front, works hard for the team and has a goal threat - hopefully after time he can become a more prolific goalscorer in our system.

Another journo said he would of been better off at Man United and would improve them, so its kinda nice we took him from underneath them

a bid for Carlos Bacca is being prepared next, and Kovacic deal must be close now that Kondogbia has joined Inter, and Imbula is signing for them on a long term loan deal

Arda Turan wants to move to England, been linked to him for eternity would be a great buy.

Illarramendi on loan? again dragging on..

;n5100352]Ok finally getting the hang of this forum' date='

certainly looking to do swift business, Milner, Ings, Bogdan, Gomez, now Firmino on the cards

Added decent squad players that are an improvement on what we had, a bright talent in Gomez and a WOW factor in Firmino.

Bids being prepared for Carlos Bacca and/or Salomon Rondon, and need to get the Clyne deal done.

Ship out some deadwood to free some more cash and hopefully add another eye catching signing, and see who arrives at the likes of Chelsea/City maybe get a loanee out of them[/quote']

Decent so far but will anyone of those signings elevate you to top 4? I would argue that they are all good signings and improvements on some squad players but none of them are outstanding first team players.

Firmino is a very decent player but he's not a WOW signing in that he isn't world class. He's in the right mould and the sort of level of player Liverpool now must target young with potential to be better.

So it was 1-1 after Firmino to Liverpool and Depay to United.

Looks like Liverpool win after extra Clyne.

Good signing but I don't remember anyone saying Firmino was destined for United... Liverpool publicly courted Depay so if you want to be petty it's technically 1-0.

United get linked with every player under the sun and it gets tiresome, if we were to sign every player we are 'reported' to be interested in we'd have Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba, Reus etc... (all of them have been linked)

My point is, Firmino is a good signing and well done, but why pretend like you've got one over United when it's pretty obvious it must have been paper talk?

If you manage to get Clyne again that would be a good signing but I don't remember United publicly courting him. So far the window has been good for Liverpool but have you signed anyone who will take you into the top 4?

The buys seem very similar to the last summer window in quality. Taking a risk on good players at average clubs & hoping they make the grade.

Great importance is on the central striker again. If its Benteke your club would have messed up again but Bacca makes the team capable of challenging top four in my opinion.

Now I don't want to take the credit off you for signing two good players especially Firmino but can you possibly tell me one reason why both of them would choose Liverpool over United? Its crystal clear that United might have dropped their interest in both of them and therefore they moved to Liverpool. for god's sake, use your brain. You cant offer more money you can't offer European football. As hard as it is to accept but Liverpool is no way near United's pulling power.

Take a bow Liverpool' date=' you might be a selling club, but boy do you know how to sell!

£49m for Raheem Sterling! Madness![/quote']

selling club or not, we have done some very good business in getting what we want for our 'in demand' players

Torres 50M

Suarez 75M (or 65M if you believe Barca)

Sterling 49M

very astute sales. plus 4,4M from Aspas sale and Coates was about 2M.

cash in the bank, could be a few more eye opening additions to come yet.

in the words of Carra

Jamie Carragher

@Carra23

I wish Lfc bought players as well as they sold them!!

;n5102900]rumour that the 2 Mario's to trade places for a season - Balotelli to Fiorentina' date=' Mario Gomez to Anfield on loan

in for Gary Medel

Dennis Cheryshev muted as a signing

Benteke to sign? Or turn to Lacazette?[/quote']

Cheryshev for 22mil would be a waste

And I doubt Lacazette will sign for a non-EU team, if he wants to leave.

If Utd steal Benteke from Liverpool (which could happen), it would be classic.

;n5102900]rumour that the 2 Mario's to trade places for a season - Balotelli to Fiorentina' date=' Mario Gomez to Anfield on loan

in for Gary Medel

Dennis Cheryshev muted as a signing

Benteke to sign? Or turn to Lacazette?[/quote']

watch?v=7J5UjOL_2KI

On a serious note: Gomez is past it (ergo not beneficial at all), Medel is a loose-cannon (love the guy's character [not trying to pull a Brendan here FYI], Cheryshev (for the reported price) is overrated (would be a good buy for about 15M) and so is Benteke (worth 15M tops). Might as well break the bank for someone like Lacazette then.

;n5102899]

selling club or not' date=' we have done some very good business in getting what we want for our 'in demand' players

Torres 50M

Suarez 75M (or 65M if you believe Barca)

Sterling 49M

very astute sales. plus 4,4M from Aspas sale and Coates was about 2M.

cash in the bank, could be a few more eye opening additions to come yet.

in the words of Carra

Jamie Carragher

@Carra23

I wish Lfc bought players as well as they sold them!!

I completely agree and did say that you knew how to sell but it's good to see that people are being more realistic about Liverpool's standing in the PL.

However recruitment wise... this window you have bought some good players but nobody who stands out as a player capable of pushing you to top 4. I genuinely like all your signings in one way or another but none of them are going to elevate the side IMO.

Compare your window so far to someone like United for example, Schweiny, Schneiderlin, Darmian and Depay you can see the intent to challenge for titles with those two midfield purchases, Schweiny world class and Schneiderlin arguably the best DM in the PL along with Matic. You can also see how Depay could become a top player in the PL as well as how Darmian could also succeed given his play style.

Now of course Liverpool aren't looking for title winners but still the squad desperately needs goals from somewhere. I can't help but feel someone like Benteke would be wasted though. Lacazette would be much better suited but surely if he were to move to the PL it would be to a top 4 side, most likely Arsenal?

I completely agree and did say that you knew how to sell but it's good to see that people are being more realistic about Liverpool's standing in the PL.

However recruitment wise... this window you have bought some good players but nobody who stands out as a player capable of pushing you to top 4. I genuinely like all your signings in one way or another but none of them are going to elevate the side IMO.

Compare your window so far to someone like United for example' date=' Schweiny, Schneiderlin, Darmian and Depay you can see the intent to challenge for titles with those two midfield purchases, Schweiny world class and Schneiderlin arguably the best DM in the PL along** with Matic. You can also see how Depay could become a top player in the PL as well as how Darmian could also succeed given his play style.

Now of course Liverpool aren't looking for title winners but still the squad desperately needs goals from somewhere. I can't help but feel someone like Benteke would be wasted though. Lacazette would be much better suited but surely if he were to move to the PL it would be to a top 4 side, most likely Arsenal?[/quote']

**Behind Matic

Lacazette would be a great signing for any Prem club, although I do agree that he would head towards a CL team though - I bet Newcastle rue the day they decided not to buy him.

**Behind Matic

Lacazette would be a great signing for any Prem club' date=' although I do agree that he would head towards a CL team though - I bet Newcastle rue the day they decided not to buy him.[/quote']

I would argue that no doubt Matic is/was at the better side and is a fantastic DM but look at who he plays alongside at Chelsea. I genuinely don't think there is a huge gap between the two and I think we will see this in the coming season.

I know stats aren't anything but Schneiderlin has shown for a few seasons now how important he is and how well he can protect teams. If there is a difference it's not as big as some might believe.

RE: Lacazette definitely one to have slipped through the cracks! I can see Liverpool pursuing Benteke though with the Sterling cash which is IMO the wrong player, he'd be much better suited to someone like United who put in the crosses.

I would argue that no doubt Matic is/was at the better side and is a fantastic DM but look at who he plays alongside at Chelsea. I genuinely don't think there is a huge gap between the two and I think we will see this in the coming season.

I know stats aren't anything but Schneiderlin has shown for a few seasons now how important he is and how well he can protect teams. If there is a difference it's not as big as some might believe.

RE: Lacazette definitely one to have slipped through the cracks! I can see Liverpool pursuing Benteke though with the Sterling cash which is IMO the wrong player' date=' he'd be much better suited to someone like United who put in the crosses.

[/quote']

Hardly. Benteke can also operate as a power forward, as he's reasonably skilful and agile despite his huge size [pause].

It's the price tag that is off-putting, and any team paying that price would be properly mugged off.

RE: Lacazette definitely one to have slipped through the cracks! I can see Liverpool pursuing Benteke though with the Sterling cash which is IMO the wrong player' date=' he'd be much better suited to someone like United who put in the crosses.

[/quote']

We may well him play at a different level in the coming season but they are different types of players, Schneiderlin gets forward a lot more than Matic, hence why Bastian will join him but in a much deeper role. No-one was alongside Matic last season (in stature), he was only behind Terry & Hazard as our best players, and he was our most important player IMO.

I think Benteke would fit into Liverpool perfectly well, casing point, Didier Drogba - at Marseille he played off the shoulder of defenders, with us he changed his game and was a battering ram. I think given the chance Benteke could suit any Prem team.

Benteke to Liverpool depends on Balotelli though I reckon.

Hardly. Benteke can also operate as a power forward' date=' as he's reasonably skilful and agile despite his huge size [pause'].

It's the price tag that is off-putting, and any team paying that price would be properly mugged off.

Liverpool have tried to rely on fast paced football, Benteke is much more of a target man. There is no point buying a reasonably skilful and agile player if what you need is a skilful and agile player to fit how your team likes to play. Benteke is a good PL striker for any side that is willing to provide him with a certain type of service, crosses etc. Liverpool look to play on the ground something that doesn't play to Benteke's strengths.

I agree though at £32.5m the fee is high for a player who hasn't set the league alight.

If I am trying to craft a house out of fine wood I don't finish it off by slapping a brick up the top.

We may well him play at a different level in the coming season but they are different types of players, Schneiderlin gets forward a lot more than Matic, hence why Bastian will join him but in a much deeper role. No-one was alongside Matic last season (in stature), he was only behind Terry & Hazard as our best players, and he was our most important player IMO.

I think Benteke would fit into Liverpool perfectly well, casing point, Didier Drogba - at Marseille he played off the shoulder of defenders, with us he changed his game and was a battering ram. I think given the chance Benteke could suit any Prem team.

Benteke to Liverpool depends on Balotelli though I reckon.

But their objectives are the same, DM protect the back 4 and restart play the difference being Matic has so much attacking quality around him there is little need for him to get forward and attack so positionally he can stay exactly where he is needed defensively.

Schneiderlin had more of a responsibility to not only protect from DM but also drive forward more often as Southampton do not have the luxury of leaving their attacks to the likes of Fabregas and Hazard etc.

Benteke is nowhere near the level of Drogba though... so the comparison is mute. Drogba was physically imposing, quick and technically proficient. Benteke is physical and fairly quick but nowhere near the technical level of Drogba. He could suit and PL team but the PL team would have to adapt to him not the other way round. It is no surprise that Benteke picks up form when people start to play the ball into the box for him from crosses etc, I don't see Liverpool doing that.

Liverpool fans are quiet atm

ditto........

United fans only come on here to point out our targets are all no good for challenging for the title... yet 2 possibly 3 of there 'muted' targets have chosen to sign for us. #project

moving on............

oh yeah....Marco Reus 46M bid possibly going in :eek

but Jerome Sinclair reportedly turned down new deal and wants to leave....

;n5103109]

ditto........

United fans only come on here to point out our targets are all no good for challenging for the title... yet 2 possibly 3 of there 'muted' targets have chosen to sign for us. #project

moving on............

oh yeah....Marco Reus 46M bid possibly going in :eek

but Jerome Sinclair reportedly turned down new deal and wants to leave....

To be fair, there has been very little of worth to discuss as a United fan until now.

I don't think anyone has suggested you should be looking at targets to challenge for the title which is unrealistic but you should be aiming for top 4.

The only signing who could have possibly been a United target was Clyne as United wanted a RB but at the same time I don't know any United fan disappointed with Darmian.

The rest while good, Milner, Ings and Firmino aren't really players I would say United would be looking at. Unless we fancied Bogdan or Gomez :P

We get lambasted for entertaining rumours or discussing them and get immense negativity thrown towards great signings.

I think Liverpool so far have made 4 good signings with Clyne, Milner, Ings and Firmino but again I don't see any of them as better than what the rest of the top 4 can offer.